/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Islam an Arab religion? Answering a common Q

Sami Zaatari
05-31-2007, 06:52 PM
salam all, one common question/misconception amongst non muslims is that Islam is an Arab religion, made by an Arab, and for the Arabs. however so no such teaching exists in any Islamic texts.

http://muslim-responses.com/Is_Islam...Arab_Religion_

the article answers this common Q and quotes what Islamic sources have to say concerning this matter. the article should be helpful to non muslims seeking to become Muslim, and to new Muslims as well. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ubaidah
05-31-2007, 08:53 PM
:sl:

I actually received this question a lot from people when I first reverted to Islam. What I said to them was (and forgive me if I'm a little fuzzy on some things, I'm still learning):

- Islam is a continuation of Judaism & Christianity, and the complete revelation by God (the Qu'ran). It holds many of the same truths of the 2 other major religions but restores the original monotheistic faith of Abraham, Moses, Jesus, etc, etc.

- Islam was brought to the Arabs by Muhammad (pbuh) first because they were a group who had no in which to follow as most were pagans.

- And lastly I bring up the point that Arabs only account for about 20% of the 900 million to 1.3 billion Muslims worldwide.

While the idea that Islam is an "Arab" religion does rub me the wrong way, all I try to do is show that it not only is NOT an "Arab" religion. But try to show all the beauty and wonder that is Islam. But that is just me.

Balthasar21
06-05-2007, 12:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
salam all, one common question/misconception amongst non muslims is that Islam is an Arab religion, made by an Arab, and for the Arabs. however so no such teaching exists in any Islamic texts.

http://muslim-responses.com/Is_Islam...Arab_Religion_

the article answers this common Q and quotes what Islamic sources have to say concerning this matter. the article should be helpful to non muslims seeking to become Muslim, and to new Muslims as well. :)

Question if I May
What is the meaning of the word '' Arab ''

Sami Zaatari
06-05-2007, 04:10 PM
well an arab or meaning of arab is basically a person of the arab peoples, descending from Ishmael and so on, having arab traditions and customs etc like any other culture. hence like me im an arab, from arab ancestors, having arab culture tradition, and hence for instance calling Islam an arab religion means that Islam is based on arab culture and tradition, which its not, and that Islam was basically sent for my people only, the arabs. which it wasnt.

some may think Islam reflects arab culture and traditions when infact its not even close, pre-islamic arabs would burry their daughters alive, Islam said dont do this. aslo pre-islamic arabs didnt allow women to pick who they want to marry, or get a divorce, or get an inheritance, Islam got rid of all that.

pre-islamic arabs didnt see equality between the poor and the rich, Islam got rid of this, pre-Islamic arabs thought they were superior to everyone, Islam got rid of this saying white or black arab or non arab, all are equal with god. there are still present day arab traditions which go against Islam, such as forced marriage, honor killings, tribal tit for tat revenge and on it goes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.