/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 30 Quick Cleaning Tips for a Tidier Home

Ra`eesah
06-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Assalamu`Alaykum

Abu Malik at-Ash’ari reported:

The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: "Cleanliness is half of faith..." {Book 002, Chapter 1, Number 0432: Sahih Muslim}

30 Quick Cleaning Tips for a Tidier Home

Bathroom

• Keep a container of disinfectant wipes under each bathroomsink. Each day, perhaps after your shower, use a wipe to clean off the sinks, counters and toilet bowl. This keeps the bathroom tidy all week.
  • Spray down the shower walls, tub, counters and toilet, let the cleaner sit while you empty trash cans and hang towels. Then go back and wipe everything down and clean the mirrors.
  • Use a dirty towel on the floor of the shower to keep your footing and avoid injury while you clean.
  • Keep a squeegee handy to clean the walls down after the shower.
  • Clean the toilet, sink & mirror while your kids are in the bath. This saves time as you need to be present while your kids bathe anyway. Just be sure to leave tasks that require strong chemicals (that may splash) for another time.
  • Designate a drawer, basket or container for hair brushes, scrunchies and barrettes.
  • Put hair dryers, curling irons and hair straighteners out of sight when you are finished using them.
Kitchen

• Use baking soda to clean the kitchen cabinets and counters. The stove and refrigerator will come out sparkling. Baking soda is a mild abrasive, so check for wear on “soft” paints and varnishes.
  • Do a quick mop or floor wipe-down daily, to make it easier to do your weekly mop.
  • If you use a dishwasher, load dishes as you use them. Don't allow your sink to become full of dishes.
  • If you have pets, especially those that shed, use a hand held vacuum or sweeper to suck up animal hair before sweeping. Sweeping doesn't collect animal hair; it simply moves it around.
  • Change your kitchen cleaning rag regularly. Be sure to rinse and wring it out well after each use and hang it to dry, to discourage bacterial growth and an awful smell.
  • Toss your dish cleaning sponge into the dishwasher on the top rack.
Quickie Tips

• Play "Beat the Clock" by setting a timer for 15 minutes. See how much you can accomplish in this amount of time.
  • When you clean for 10 or 15 minutes, as opposed to an hour or more, cleaning doesn't seem overwhelming. Turn some music on and do this a few times a day so everything gets done. Choose CD's instead of the radio to keep you on track. No commercial interruptions makes it easier to keep the beat while cleaning.
  • Keep a supply of cleaning products in each bathroom and in the kitchen. Store these in a bucket or basket with a handle, to make it easy to pick up and set down as you clean.
  • When you are cleaning windows, if not using the streak-free squeegee, wipe up and down on the inside and back and forth on the outside. If there are any streaks you will be able to see which side needs to be redone.
  • Clean all rooms from top to bottom and left to right. This method makes it difficult to miss anything.
  • Keep a stock of small bags in the same room as the cat litter box. Whenever the box needs scooping the bags are right there. No need to go get one.
  • Keep a few extra trash bags in the bottom of your trash cans. When you pull out the full bag, a new bag will be waiting for you.
  • Save time and aggravation by connecting a long extension cord to your vacuum cleaner. You can vacuum your entire house (or one floor if you have multiple levels) without having to unplug it for each room. If the kitchen, for example, is the center of your house, use a kitchen outlet to reach all of your rooms.
  • Keep a supply of cotton swabs in your cleaning supplies. There is always some corner that your rag or sponge won't reach, such as that "gunk" that gets around the edge of the bathroom sink. Cotton swabs are small enough to get that job done.
  • Do It Now! Put things back, rinse out that dirty dish, put shoes where they belong, and so on. When you think to yourself, "I'll do that later" you may find yourself in a panic later when you are running behind and so many things are not done.
  • Throw a load of clothes into the washing machine before you start the coffee pot. Set a timer so you won't forget to put them in the dryer.
  • Put in a load of laundry or run the dishwasher while cleaning other areas of the house. You will have accomplished more in a shorter period of time.
Before Bed

• Empty the sink, wash dirty dishes and wipe it all down. Getting up to dirty dishes is always unpleasant.
  • Before heading off to bed at night, check that the bathroom has towels hung and that toothbrushes are put away. Give the sink a quick wipe down.
  • Do a five-minute sweep of the living room. Grab a basket and pick up any stray toys, laundry, dishes and reading materials. Put them away, or at the very least, gather them all in a basket for tomorrow's clean up.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
06-09-2007, 02:51 PM
MashaAllah sis...thank you for the tips

XRUHYX
06-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Useful thread :) Jazak Allah khayr

Ra`eesah
06-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Assalamu`Alaykum

See how only "sister" found it helpful. Pfft men. I would have been better off posting this in the sisters section.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ummAbdillah
06-09-2007, 06:34 PM
:sl: ^lol true say :D
It's very helpful sis, Jazakillah khayr
:w:

iwuvaziaf
06-09-2007, 06:45 PM
oooh jokes! this thread makes us sound like superwomen!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

*~Sofia~*
06-09-2007, 07:13 PM
salam sister,

sum really gud tips here! :)

oooh jokes! this thread makes us sound like superwomen!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeeee
^ :giggle:

Jazakallah 4 sharing sister :D

wasalam

Khayal
06-09-2007, 08:13 PM
:sl:

Jazaak ALLAH khayr, Sister for shring useful tips.

:w:

Lina
06-09-2007, 11:47 PM

Some of those tips could be considered a bit OCD-ish.

''Do It Now! Put things back, rinse out that dirty dish, put shoes where they belong, and so on. When you think to yourself, "I'll do that later" you may find yourself in a panic later when you are running behind and so many things are not done.''

''Before heading off to bed at night, check that the bathroom has towels hung and that toothbrushes are put away. Give the sink a quick wipe down.''

''Keep a container of disinfectant wipes under each bathroomsink. Each day, perhaps after your shower, use a wipe to clean off the sinks, counters and toilet bowl. This keeps the bathroom tidy all week.''

MH-UK
06-10-2007, 12:39 AM

very useful esp. the quickie tips

Jazak'Allah khayr

Yanal
06-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Asalam alkum warkmatulah wabrkatuh (May Peace And Blessings Be Upon You)
Isn't Music Haram?

snakelegs
06-10-2007, 02:40 AM
what a blessing it is that people in cyberland can't see your filthy house! :D

BanGuLLy
06-10-2007, 05:23 AM
POST THIS IN SISTER SECTION :giggling: just jokin :P

Mawaddah
06-13-2007, 01:47 PM
My Brain is overloaded with tips :uuh:

But still, it's good to know more.
Empty the sink, wash dirty dishes and wipe it all down. Getting up to dirty dishes is always unpleasant.
This is so true :-\

iwuvaziaf
06-13-2007, 01:55 PM
looks like someone does that quite abit.. if my mum is tired and she leaves it for the morning.. i do it at midnight talkin to my friends.. hands-free helps out alot..

New day, clean sink, clean surface, clean stove.. sum things shudnt be left for the next day..

now we wouldnt leave brushing our teeth to just do it twice the following day .. wud we..? hmm

dont u just hate when u have guests and they decide to be helpful and pick up the dishes with chicken bones etc in the their plates and pile the plates on top of each other.. yuck! imagine if that goes straight into the sink and under water and then u gota unclog the drain... errrghh.. worse-case-scenario, if its eid u have like 20+ plates.. ew ew ewww..

did i make sense?

Mawaddah
06-13-2007, 01:59 PM
^ Yea I know what you're talking about.

Only at my house like EVERYDAY we have 20 plates all clogging up the drain because my brothers are like SO stubborn and claim they 'forget' to do it properly everytime :exhausted

iwuvaziaf
06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
put a sticky on the wall saying

AFTER A MEAL:-

1. Say Alhumdullilah
2. Dispose any leftover in the plate
3. Rinse plate and put aside.

Even if they dont wash it.. a rinsed pile is sooooo easy to wash...

signing out.. gona go enjoy the sun!

Wsalamaleykum :)

Umar001
06-13-2007, 02:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ra`eesah
See how only "sister" found it helpful. Pfft men. I would have been better off posting this in the sisters section.
Nah brother's I think are helped, they just don't feel the need to reply. I mean, I see this I think ok, half of those tips could be saved if we should do things in a manly way.

All the Kitchen things, well, alot of them could be saved if one uses dishes to a minimal, for example, eat tuna and sardines out of the can, no need for dishes, voila!

Or you can all eat from one dish and voila, plus in that way you do something Islamic too. :)

So that's alot of those tips' problem solving gone.

If one lives simple one needs not do much cleaning.

Mawaddah
06-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Tuna and sardines need to be cooked before they are even half way edible.

Everyone eating from one tray is ofcourse the best way. Whenever my friends come over I do this in an attempt to reduce the amount of dishes afterwards, but for some reason, dishes always come from other places so I end up with just the same amount lol.

HaYa-MiD gIrL
06-16-2007, 11:22 PM
thanx alot for this very useful thread and these beneficial advices
may allah bless u
my regards

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.