/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Combining prayers?

S.A.
06-11-2007, 07:51 PM
:sl:

Can anyone enlighten me on the issue of combining missed prayers?

Which prayer can we combine with which one ? What i have been doing generally is that if i miss duhr prayer i pray it along with asr prayer, if i miss asr prayer i combine it with maghrib prayer and when i miss maghrib prayer i pray it with ishaa prayer., Fajr and ishaa?

I dont know if this is correct or not? Pls help. :-[

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Mubaarak
06-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Bismillaah

As Salaamu'alaykum Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuh

The issue pertaining to combining prayers for a resident differs to that of the combining of prayers for a traveller. I am assuming you are a resident.

When a person misses a prayer, for example if someone forgets, then he needs to make up for it as soon as he remembers. He should not wait until it is the time of the next prayer to make it up.

It is important to understand that missing or delaying the prayers is a very serious issue. Allaah says in the Qur'aan:

"Then, there has succeeded them a posterity who have given up As-Salat (the prayers) (i.e. made their Salat (prayers) to be lost, either by not offering them or by not offering them perfectly or by not offering them in their proper fixed times, etc.) and have followed lusts. So they will be thrown in Hell."
(Maryam, Chapter 19, Verse 59)

And of those who pray at the correct and prescribed times, then Allaah describes these people..

"It is these who race for the good deeds, and they are foremost in them (e.g. offering the compulsory Salat (prayers) in their (early) stated, fixed times and so on)."
(Al-Mumenoon, Chapter 23, Verse 61)

BaarakAllaahu feekum

Was Salaamu'alaykum Wa Rahmatullaah

Ibn Mubaarak
06-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Bismillaah..

SA - You simply make up what is obligatory for you to make up. If you miss Fajr, then you can pray 2 the Obligatory units whenever you remember, or in the case of oversleeping, when you awake. The 2 sunnah units can be made up at the time when it is permissible to pray voluntary prayers (i.e. after sunset in this case).

For dhuhr, if the time for 'Asr has entered, then you would pray the 4 obligatory units for Dhuhr first and then pray the 4 obligatory units for 'Asr. There is an authentic hadeeth in which the messenger of Allaah (salAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) prayed the the outstanding voluntary units of dhuhr after the 'Asr prayer due to becoming preoccupied with other things.

And so on.

Regarding what the sister mentioned in relation to not praying at those times - then this is only valid for the non-obligatory prayers, such as the 2 voluntary units for fajr, the voluntary units for dhuhr and so on. It does not apply to the obligatory units which must be made up as soon as possible.

wa Allaahu Ta'aalaa a'lam

S.A.
06-12-2007, 02:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Mubaarak
Bismillaah..

SA - You simply make up what is obligatory for you to make up. If you miss Fajr, then you can pray 2 the Obligatory units whenever you remember, or in the case of oversleeping, when you awake. The 2 sunnah units can be made up at the time when it is permissible to pray voluntary prayers (i.e. after sunset in this case).

For dhuhr, if the time for 'Asr has entered, then you would pray the 4 obligatory units for Dhuhr first and then pray the 4 obligatory units for 'Asr. There is an authentic hadeeth in which the messenger of Allaah (salAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) prayed the the outstanding voluntary units of dhuhr after the 'Asr prayer due to becoming preoccupied with other things.

And so on.

Regarding what the sister mentioned in relation to not praying at those times - then this is only valid for the non-obligatory prayers, such as the 2 voluntary units for fajr, the voluntary units for dhuhr and so on. It does not apply to the obligatory units which must be made up as soon as possible.

wa Allaahu Ta'aalaa a'lam

:sl:

Thank u bro for ur reply and answer :thumbs_up

But...

I dont agree with u in the matter of praying fajr anytime when waking up (in case of oversleeping) because im very very sure that fajr prayer is not valid after sunrise or from the time we see noor in the morning. Iam pretty sure abt that. wa Allahu A'lam.

So wht if i missed ASr prayer ? and maghrib prayer? and ishaa and fajr prayer?

PLease answer individually i dont get summary answers. :enough!:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Mubaarak
06-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Bismillaah

Akhee fillaah SA, The fajr prayer IS valid after sunrise, there is no authentic differing in this matter. To say it is invalid would render that day to be made up of ONLY 4 prayers - and this has no basis in Islaam.

You simple make up the prayers whenever you remember. There should be no delaying the prayers in the first place, and if it were a matter as I mentioned before, i.e. if you slept past the time for prayer, then when you awake, you pray.

That is as simple as it gets inshaa'Allaah - Pray when you remember. As for what to pray, pray the same number of units that is obligatory to pray in the correct times, and the voluntary prayers may also be made up, as I quoted previously in the hadeeth regarding the Prophet (salAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) making up the missed voluntary units for Dhuhr, after 'Asr - and Allaah Knows best.

S.A.
06-12-2007, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Mubaarak
Bismillaah

Akhee fillaah SA, The fajr prayer IS valid after sunrise, there is no authentic differing in this matter. To say it is invalid would render that day to be made up of ONLY 4 prayers - and this has no basis in Islaam.

You simple make up the prayers whenever you remember. There should be no delaying the prayers in the first place, and if it were a matter as I mentioned before, i.e. if you slept past the time for prayer, then when you awake, you pray.

That is as simple as it gets inshaa'Allaah - Pray when you remember. As for what to pray, pray the same number of units that is obligatory to pray in the correct times, and the voluntary prayers may also be made up, as I quoted previously in the hadeeth regarding the Prophet (salAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) making up the missed voluntary units for Dhuhr, after 'Asr - and Allaah Knows best.

I cant agree with u with regard to the fajr prayer point until i myself find a little bit more supporting evi abt it. But glad to here ur answers. and showing me a way out. Thkns.

islamirama
06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
With regard to missing prayers, one of the following two scenarios must apply:

1 – When you miss a prayer unintentionally, for a legitimate shar’i excuse, such as forgetting or sleeping, although you are basically very keen to perform the prayer on time. In this case you are excused but you have to make it up as soon as you remember it. The evidence for that is the hadeeth narrated in Saheeh Muslim (681) which tells how the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his companions slept and missed Fajr prayer, and the Sahaabah began to ask one another, “What is the expiation (kafaarah) for what we have done by neglecting the prayer?” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said. “Sleeping does not mean that you are neglecting the prayer. Rather neglecting the prayer means not praying one prayer until the time for the next prayer comes. Whoever does that let him pray when he remembers it.”

This does not mean that a person should sleep deliberately when a prayer is due, until he misses it, then use sleep as an excuse, or neglect a means that would help him to do the prayer, and then take that as an excuse. Rather he must make use of all the means he can, as the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did in this case, when he appointed one person to stay awake and wake them up to pray, but that person was overcome by drowsiness, so he did not wake them up. This is the case in which a person may be excused.

2 – When you miss a prayer deliberately. This is a major sin, and it is so serious that some of the scholars stated that the one who does this is a kaafir. (as it says in Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Samaahat al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 10/374). The one who does this has to repent sincerely, according to scholarly consensus. With regard to making up the prayer, there was a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether or not it would be accepted from him if he makes it up afterwards. Most of the scholars said that he should make it up and that his prayer is valid, although he is a sinner (i.e., if he does not repent – and Allaah knows best), as Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthyameen quoted from them in al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/89. The view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) is that it is not valid, and that it is not prescribed for him to make it up. He said in al-Ikhtiyaaraat (34): “It is not prescribed for the one who misses a prayer deliberately to make it up, and the prayer, if he makes it up, is not valid; rather he should do a lot of voluntary (naafil) prayers. This is the view of a group among the Salaf.” One of the contemporary scholars who regarded this view as more correct is Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him); he quoted as evidence for that the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Whoever does an action that is not in accordance with this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), will have it rejected.” (Agreed upon).

So you must beware of this and strive to perform all the prayers on time, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”

[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=136...ssing%20salaah

More:

In what order missed prayers should be made up

How should missed prayers be made up?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.