Got the following email from a bro. Any help you can give in answering him will be most appreciated it.
May the blessings and peace of Allah be upon you. I have a concern which I want you to throw more light on in the context of Islam.
In recent times, it is not uncommon to see a group of Muslims gather together and distribute the Holy Quran (mostly, the type in pieces) amongst themselves and recite for sometime, either as a religious rituals or to solicit Allah's favour and or blessing.
Most often, some of them raise their voices so loud that others are not heard. Others make mistakes in the cause of the recitation without being heard nor corrected due to the "noisy" nature of the atmosphere. I have the following concerns:
1. What is Islam's position of this kind of Mass Quranic recitation?
2. I understand that whenever the Quran is being recited, we are supposed to remain silent and listen. In the kind of environment discussed above, is that practicable?
3. Since it will be difficult to hear each other and possibly identify mistakes and correct them, what is the position of the religion on such errors and mistakes committed in the cause of such mass recitation?
4. Is there an alternative, perhaps a better way of reciting the Holy Quran to still achieve the objective for which the mass ones are organised?
5. Is it possible to get me references in the Quran or Hadith is support or against this king of mass recitation?
I will be grateful if you could give the answers according to the numbered manner of the questions.
Your Brother in Islam.