/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Few Hadith on Dhikr

mujahideenryder
06-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Sahih Bukhari
Volume 1, Book 12, Number 802:

Narrated Abu Ma’bad:

(the freed slave of Ibn ‘Abbas) Ibn ‘Abbas told me, “In the lifetime of the Prophet it was the custom to celebrate Allah (SWT)’s praises aloud after the compulsory congregational prayers.” Ibn ‘Abbas further said, “When I heard the Dhikr, I would learn that the compulsory congregational prayer had ended.”

Sahih Muslim
Book 4, Hadith Number 1211:

Ibn ‘Abbas reported: Dhikr (mentioning the name of Allah (SWT)) in a loud voice after obligatory prayers was (a common practice) during the lifetime of the Apostle of Allah (SWT) (may peace be upon him) ; and when I heard that I came to knew that they (the people) had finished the prayer.

Sahih Muslim
Book 35, Number 6505:

Abu Huraira reported Allah (SWT)’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) as saying Allah (SWT) has mobile (squads) of angels, who have no other work (to attend to but) to follow the assemblies of Dhikr and when they find such assemblies in which there is Dhikr (of Allah (SWT)) they sit in them and some of them surround the others with their wings till the space between them and the sky of the world is fully covered, and when they disperse (after the assembly of Dhikr is adjourned) they go upward to the heaven and Allah (SWT), the Exalted and Glorious, asks them although He is best informed about them: Where have you come from?

They say: We come from Thine servants upon the earth who had been glorifying Thee (reciting Subhan Allah (SWT)), uttering Thine Greatness (saying Allah (SWT) o-Akbar) and uttering Thine Oneness (La ilaha ill Allah (SWT)) and praising Thee (uttering al-Hamdu Lillah) and begging of Thee.

Be would say: What do they beg of Me?

They would say: They beg of Thee the Paradise of Thine.

He (God) would say: Have they seen My Paradise?

They said: No, our Lord.

He would say: (What it would be then) if they were to see Mine Paradise?

They (the angels) said: They seek Thine protection. He (the Lord) would say: Against what do they seek protection of Mine?

They (the angels) would say: Our Lord, from the Hell-Fire.

He (the Lord) would say: Have they seen My Fire?

They would say: No.

He (the Lord) would say: What it would be if they were to see My Fire?

They would say: They beg of Thee forgiveness.

He would say: I grant pardon to them, and confer upon them what they ask for and grant them protection against which they seek protection.

They (the angels) would again say: Our Lord, there is one amongst them such and such simple servant who happened to pass by (that assembly) and sat there along with them (who had been participating in that assembly).

He (the Lord) would say: I also grant him pardon, for they are a people the seat-fellows of whom are in no way unfortunate.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
06-15-2007, 08:00 PM
:sl:

There is dhikr, with chant of huhuhuhu or Allah Allah or other singular words.

if I kept repeating your name without adding any meaningful phrase would you give me what I require of you?

were I to say Al hamd lillah, subhan Allah, would that not make sense more than simply shaking my head and going hu hu hu hu?

:w:

keyword in dhikr-e-Allah: A meaningful phrase

S.A.
06-15-2007, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55

if I kept repeating your name without adding any meaningful phrase would you give me what I require of you?

were I to say Al hamd lillah, subhan Allah, would that not make sense more than simply shaking my head and going hu hu hu hu?

keyword in dhikrillah: A meaningful phrase
I dint understand wht u meant. Can u please explain a little further.

NoName55
06-15-2007, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S.A.
I dint understand wht u meant. Can u please explain a little further.
My understanding is that brother is attempting to convey the virtues and methods of a certain sect, to understand him better you will need to read rest of his threads that are still in existence.

In my reply to initial post, I was saying that *No Muslim* has any objection to dhikr as long as it means SOMETHING.

anyhow checkout this thread
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...-tasawwuf.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mujahideenryder
06-16-2007, 02:38 AM

JazakAllah khair. Where did you study to derive such rulings from this hadith?

Musalmaan
06-16-2007, 06:31 AM

Do you think the word "ALLAH" is meaningless?

Are you aware of how many ayah of Quran and Hadith you have spoke against of?

S.A.
06-16-2007, 08:39 AM
My understanding is that brother is attempting to convey the virtues and methods of a certain sect, to understand better you will need to read rest of his threads that are still in existence.

In my reply to initial post, I was saying that No Muslim has any objection to dhikr as long as it means SOMETHING.

anyway checkout this thread
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...-tasawwuf.html

To be frank, I can understand wht u mean and ur point put forward.

But u see before putting forth such comments u shud be careful enuf and make sure that it is not purely personal opinion and way of thinking.

Wa'allahuA'lam.

S.A.
06-16-2007, 08:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musalmaan

Bro Musalmaan , according to me Noname hasnt really said in any way that the word 'Allah' is meaningless or insignificant. But what i have understood is that he means to say suppose u r sitting as an audience in an islamic lecture. Now if u really liked any point put forward by the lecturer you wud say Allahu Akbar, or Subhan Allah , or any such phrase, Would u shout 'Allah' alone?

By shouting the word 'Allah' What exactly u r saying?

Also, after finishing our prayers, we usually say subhanAllah, Alhamdulillah or IstaghfirAllah right..but wud u really say the word Allah alone for 30 or 33 times? Atleast I wont. And Allah know best.

I think thats wht he means to say.

Correct me if iam wrong Noname. - Dint mean to change any of ur comments.

NoName55
06-16-2007, 12:37 PM
It is the name of the Creator

No, but I am waiting for you to show me (which, no doubt, you will) and I, eagerly await!

NoName55
06-16-2007, 12:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mujahideenryder
JazakAllah khair. Where did you study to derive such rulings from this hadith?
Suffice it to say that I did not spend decades sitting at a gravesite spining round and round and round

S.A.
06-16-2007, 12:42 PM
It is the name of the creator

No,but I am waiting for you to show me
:arabic6:

:awesome: :clever:

NoName55
06-16-2007, 12:46 PM
This remembrance (dhikr) is not as some people think i.e. to sit in the corner of a dark room constantly repeating “Allaah, Allaah, Allaah…” This is not how we remember Allaah. Yes, such a person is saying Allaah’s name, but if we think about it, if somebody came to you (and for example your name is Muhammad) and kept saying “Muhammad, Muhammad, Muhammad…” you would wonder what is wrong with that person. Does he want something? Is there something that he needs? What is the purpose of repeating my name without further talk?

This is not the way to remember Allaah because this is not how the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) remembered Allaah and there is no record of him doing that. Some people say that we should remember Allaah by dancing around or swaying from side to side. This is not the way to remember Allaah, as this too is not how the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) remembered Allaah and there is no record of him doing that.
The Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) remembered Allaah in his life. His life was a life of remembrance of Allaah, he lived a life in remembrance of Allaah and this is the true remembrance, in our prayers and in our living and our dying.

In summary, the search for inner peace involves recognising the problems that we have in our lives, recognising our obstacles, recognising that inner peace will only come when we identify those obstacles and understand which of them we can change and that we focus on those obstacles we can change, the ones which are related to our self.

If we change our self then Allaah will change the world around us and give us the means to deal with the world around us. Even though the world is in turmoil Allaah gives us inner peace with it.

Whatever happens we know that it is Allaah’s destiny and that it is Allaah’s trials and we know that ultimately it is for our good. and has good in it. Allaah created us in this world and the world as a means to attain Paradise and the trials of this world is our own spiritual growth. If we can accept all this, accepting Allaah in our hearts then we can find inner peace

excerpted from

The Search for Inner Peace

Written by Dr. Bilal Philips
01 April 2007

S.A.
06-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Suffice it to say that I did not spend decades sitting at a gravesite spining round and round and round
Interesting :thumbs_up

No offense to anyone is intended. So pls forgive me for anythign wrong i have said.

:thumbs_up

S.A.
06-16-2007, 01:04 PM
This remembrance (dhikr) is not as some people think i.e. to sit in the corner of a dark room constantly repeating “Allaah, Allaah, Allaah…” This is not how we remember Allaah. Yes, such a person is saying Allaah’s name, but if we think about it, if somebody came to you (and for example your name is Muhammad) and kept saying “Muhammad, Muhammad, Muhammad…” you would wonder what is wrong with that person. Does he want something? Is there something that he needs? What is the purpose of repeating my name without further talk?

This is not the way to remember Allaah because this is not how the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) remembered Allaah and there is no record of him doing that. Some people say that we should remember Allaah by dancing around or swaying from side to side. This is not the way to remember Allaah, as this too is not how the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) remembered Allaah and there is no record of him doing that.
The Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) remembered Allaah in his life. His life was a life of remembrance of Allaah, he lived a life in remembrance of Allaah and this is the true remembrance, in our prayers and in our living and our dying.

In summary, the search for inner peace involves recognising the problems that we have in our lives, recognising our obstacles, recognising that inner peace will only come when we identify those obstacles and understand which of them we can change and that we focus on those obstacles we can change, the ones which are related to our self.

If we change our self then Allaah will change the world around us and give us the means to deal with the world around us. Even though the world is in turmoil Allaah gives us inner peace with it.

Whatever happens we know that it is Allaah’s destiny and that it is Allaah’s trials and we know that ultimately it is for our good. and has good in it. Allaah created us in this world and the world as a means to attain Paradise and the trials of this world is our own spiritual growth. If we can accept all this, accepting Allaah in our hearts then we can find inner peace

excerpted from

01 April 2007
Thanks for sharing this!

adeel
06-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Hey who ever is saying something here have something to back it up, like a speech from a scholar etc this is because if you say something wrong and people believe that, you'll get the punisment, so say something if you are 100% sure and not something that comes out of the back off your head, and also make sure you have it backed up. (i knw this has nothing to do with this topic but i thought i should warn people about this)

salaam

NoName55
06-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey who ever is saying something here have something to back it up, like a speech from a scholar
how does one get a doctorate? from cornflakes packet?
What is "Dr." in front of Br. Philips' name? a decoration?

ozzy249
06-16-2007, 07:46 PM

excerpted from

01 April 2007

Whats wrong with sitting on your own and doing Dhikr of Allah. How else are we meant to do Dhikr?

NoName55
06-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Whats wrong with sitting on your own and doing Dhikr of Allah. How else are we meant to do Dhikr?
Whatever rocks you boat brother! do it, for I have done my part in trying to pass on the Message (as seen by my Brothers in Faith)

Wasalaam alakum to those on siratulmustaqeem

ozzy249
06-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Whatever rocks you boat brother! do it, for I have done my part in trying to pass on the Message (as seen by my Brothers in Faith)

Why don't you explain how you do Dhikr. If your trying to pass on your message explain it properly.

Kittygyal
06-16-2007, 08:14 PM
salamualikum.
Flex bludz.
how ever you do dikr is between you and ya lord!
Ma'assalama

NoName55
06-16-2007, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ozzy249
Originally Posted by NoName55

Why don't you explain how you do Dhikr. If your trying to pass on your message explain it properly.
Perhaps if you re-read your first post, there may be a clue in there http://www.islamicboard.com/768525-post17.html
as well as the rest of thread, my method will become apparent without me having to say anymore than I already have.

wa Salaam Alaikum to believers and seekers

ozzy249
06-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Perhaps if you re-read your first post, there may be a clue in there http://www.islamicboard.com/768525-post17.html

Your the one who quoted Bilal Philips. In his article it says Dhikr is not when your sitting alone. So what it Dhikr? Are you trying to say we shouldn't do Dhikr?

ozzy249
06-16-2007, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
Flex bludz.
how ever you do dikr is between you and ya lord!
Ma'assalama
Thats exactly what im saying. You can do Dhikr how you want, theres nothing wrong with sitting on your own doing Dhikr. He's the one who's saying theres something wrong with that.

Kittygyal
06-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Thats exactly what im saying. You can do Dhikr how you want, theres nothing wrong with sitting on your own doing Dhikr. He's the one who's saying theres something wrong with that.
Salamualikum.
I don't get the point on discussing this issue because don't you think it will be much better if you left this ONLY i repeat ONLY between you and ya lord, or am i wrong?

This thread should be closed.

IbnAbdulHakim
06-16-2007, 08:50 PM

jazakAllah khair

i was quite offended by his statement aswell :(

NoName55
06-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by NoName55

Perhaps if you re-read your first post, there may be a clue in there http://www.islamicboard.com/768525-post17.html (A Few Hadith on Dhikr)

Your the one who quoted Bilal Philips. In his article it says Dhikr is not when your sitting alone. So what it Dhikr? Are you trying to say we shouldn't do Dhikr?
Indeed, I am the one to quote from Br.Philips. Pity you can't be the one to read it first to see what the message/quote is actually saying, then arguing the merits or demerits of the quote.

ozzy249
06-17-2007, 12:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Salamualikum.
I don't get the point on discussing this issue because don't you think it will be much better if you left this ONLY i repeat ONLY between you and ya lord, or am i wrong?

This thread should be closed.
I know my Dhikr is ONLY between me and my lord. I only do Dhikr to get reward from my lord but if someones going to come along and tell me that the way I do Dhikr is wrong I'd like to know why the person is saying that. Does the person have any proof to back that up? That's all I want to know.

Why should this thread be closed? Were having a proper discussion here about something very important.

Musalmaan
06-17-2007, 06:22 AM
It is the name of the Creator
I know it is the name of the Creator ALLAH, but do you beleive it to be meaningless if it is called Alone. Even the kuffar of makkah used to fear when it is was the pronounced by the believer. Have you forgotten the incident of the mushrik when he took out his sword in front of Rasullulah sallallahu alihi wa sallam who was all alone without any weapon with him, the mushrik said who'll save you now from my sword " and what did prophet replied, he said "ALLAH", it was such strong saying that it totally frightened him and he started shivering with fear (since it was uttered by the Master of all the prophets, Syed-ul-Mursaleen) the sword fell off from his hand .. i hope you remembered the whole story.

No, but I am waiting for you to show me (which, no doubt, you will) and I, eagerly await!
I'll show you but i fear you reject those hadith where prophet pronounced Allah, Allah and hadith, ayah of Quran related to it.

Do you remember the incident of Hazrat Bilal habshi r.a when he was being tortured by the kuffar-e-makkah as he was slave to them, and they used to lie them in the v.hot boiled land of desert and put heavy stone onto him so that he cane move,

what word he used to utter in such horrible torture, it was "Ahad Ahad" Ahad is the name of the sifaat of Allah SWT,

later when he was recalled of that torture he said that when i used to utter those word i cldn't feel any pain in my body i got such sweetness and strength with that name.

If we are unable to feel coolness in heart and sweetness of calling the name of ALLAH or RAHMAAN or any other sifaah of ALLAH SWT that does not mean that these names are meaning less (God forbid) if called alone, we are not able to reach its reality, and i think for this there was the first post to do dhikr of Allah SWT.

NoName55
06-17-2007, 06:41 AM
Have you forgotten the incident of the mushrik when he took out his sword in front of Rasullulah sallallahu alihi wa sallam who was all alone without any weapon with him, the mushrik said who'll save you now from my sword " and what did prophet replied, he said "ALLAH"
Question:
mushrik said who'll save you now from my sword
Answer:
Allah

how does the above illustration equate to sitting in corner spining head and going Allah, Allah? or hu hu hu?

or is there an imaginary mushrik stood above you with sword in hand asking you who is your protector?

is there no limit to silliness and distortion? I would love to give examples of and names of innovators but I fear I'll fall fowl of this sectarian rule unless of course a staff member comes into this thread and grants me an exemption.

for now I'll just end with this prayer:

May all protect us from innovators and give us courage to stand up to grave worshiping moshrikeen and head bangers Aameen

Wasalaam Alaikum to those on Siraatulmustaqeem

Musalmaan
06-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Question:
mushrik said who'll save you now from my sword
Answer:
Allah

how does the above illustration equate to sitting in corner spining head and going Allah, Allah? or hu hu hu?

or is there an imaginary mushrik stood above you with sword in hand asking you who is your protector?

is there no limit to silliness and distortion? I would love to give examples of and names of innovators but I fear I'll fall fowl of this sectarian rule unless of course a staff member comes into this thread and grants me an exemption.

for now I'll just end with this prayer:

May all protect us from innovators and give us courage to stand up to grave worshiping moshrikeen and head bangers Aameen

Wasalaam Alaikum to those on Siraatulmustaqeem
:)
masha'Allah what an exaggeration, i'll end up with you "lakum deenukum waliya deen"

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-17-2007, 10:02 PM

What can be understood from these hadith is that the 'dhikr' in them refers to the adhkar after salah.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
The Name of Allaah on its own, either as a noun (“Allaah”) or a pronoun (“Huwa”) is not a complete phrase or meaningful sentence. It has no implications to do with eemaan (faith) or kufr (disbelief), commands or prohibitions. This was not mentioned by anyone from the Salaf (early generations) of this ummah, and it was not prescribed by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). It does not bring any knowledge to the heart or bestow any kind of benefit upon it. All it does is give an unclear idea which is not defined by any negation or affirmation. Unless there is previous knowledge in a person's mind or he is in a state of mind where he could benefit from this, he gains no benefit at all. Islam prescribes adhkaar which in and of themselves bring benefit to the heart, without any such need for anything else.

Some of those who persisted in this kind of “dhikr” ended up in various kinds of heresies and ideas of “wahdat al-wujood” (unity of all that exists, pantheism), as has been explained in detail elsewhere.

It was mentioned that one of the shaykhs said: “I am afraid of dying between negation and affirmation”, but this is not an example to be followed, because it is obviously erroneous. If a person were to die in this state, he would die according to his intention, because actions are judged by intention. It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to tell the dying person to say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, and he said, “Anyone whose last words are Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah will enter Paradise.” If this word (Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah) was something which required caution, why should we tell the dying person to say something which, if he dies in the middle of saying it, will lead to an improper death? Rather, if this were the case, he would be told to say “Allaah, Allaah” or “Huwa, Huwa.”

Mentioning the pronoun on its own is further removed from the Sunnah and is a worse kind of bid’ah, which is closer to the misguidance of the Shaytaan. If a person says “Yaa Huwa, yaa Huwaa (O He, O He)” or “Huwa, Huwa (He, He)” and so on, the pronoun does not refer to anything except whatever his heart imagines, and hearts may be guided or misguided.

Some shaykhs use as evidence to support saying “Allaah” (the name on its own) the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: ‘Allaah.’ Then leave them…” [al-An’aam 6:91]. They think that Allaah commanded His Prophet to say His Name on its own, but this is a mistake according to the consensus of the scholars, because the meaning of the phrase “Say ‘Allaah’” is that it is Allaah Who sent down the Book which was brought by Moosa. This is in response to the question:

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘Who then sent down the Book which Moosa (Moses) brought, a light and a guidance to mankind which you (the Jews) have made into (separate) paper sheets, disclosing (some of it) and concealing (much). And you (believers in Allaah and His Messenger Muhammad) were taught (through the Qur’aan) that which neither you nor your fathers knew.’ Say: ‘Allaah (sent it down).’” [al-An’aam 6:91 – interpretation of the meaning], i.e., Allaah is the One Who revealed the Book which was brought by Moosa. This is a refutation of the view of those who said, “Nothing did Allaah send down to any human being (by Revelation)” [al-An’aam 6:91 – interpretation of the meaning]. Allaah says: Who then sent down the Book which Moosa brought? Then He says: Say Allaah sent it down, then leave these liars to play in their vain discussions.

What we have said above is further explained by the comments of Seebawayh and other grammarians, who noted that when the Arabs say “Qaala” (or other forms of the verb meaning “to say”), they do not quote verbatim, rather they state what was said, giving a complete meaning. So what follows is a sentence with a complete meaning, or a nominal sentence or a verbal sentence. Hence after saying “qaala” they give a kasrah to the particle “anna” (making it “inna”); “qaala” cannot be followed by a noun standing alone. Allaah did not command anyone to mention His Name on its own, and it is not prescribed for the Muslims to say His Name on its own. Saying His Name on its own does not enhance faith or explain anything about the religion, according to the consensus of the scholars of Islam; it is not enjoined in any act of worship or in any case where Allaah addresses them.
Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 10/226-229

And he (may Allaah have mercy on him) also said:
Repeating the Name of Allaah on its own, such as saying “Allaah, Allaah,” or the pronoun, such as “Huwa, Huwa” is not prescribed in either the Qur’aan or the Sunnah. It is not reported that any of the salaf of this ummah or any of the righteous scholars who are taken as examples did this. It is only spoken by misguided people of the later generations.

Perhaps they are following a shaykh who had no control over himself in this regard, such as al-Shubli who, it was narrated, used to say ‘Allaah, Allaah.’ It was said to him, ‘Why do you not say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah?’ He said, “I am afraid of dying between the negation [saying La ilaaha (there is no god)] and the affirmation [ill-Allaah (except Allaah)]”!

This is one of the mistakes made by al-Shubli, who may be forgiven for it because of the sincerity of his faith and the strength of his emotions which overwhelmed him. Sometimes he would go crazy and would be taken to the asylum, and he would shave off his beard. There are other instances of this type in his case, which are not to be taken as examples, even if he may be excused or rewarded for them. If a person intends to say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, and he dies before completing it, that will not harm him at all, because actions are judged by intentions, and what he intended to do is what will be written down for him.

Some of them go to extremes in this matter, and say that saying the name of Allaah is for the ‘elite’ whilst saying La ilaaha ill-Allaah is for the ‘masses.’ Some of them say that saying Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah is for the mu’mineen (believers), saying ‘Allaah’ is for the ‘aarifeen’ and saying ‘Huwa’ is for the muhaqqiqeen. One of them may restrict himself to saying, when alone or in a gathering, ‘Allaah, Allaah, Allaah’ or ‘Huwa’ or ‘Yaa Huwa’ or even ‘La Huwa illa Huwa (there is no He except He)’!

Some of those who have written about spiritual matters have expressed approval of this, quoting some known figures who, however, were in a state of overwhelming emotion at the time, or quoting opinions, or quoting false reports – for example some of them reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib to say ‘Allaah, Allaah, Allaah.’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said it three times, then he told ‘Ali to say it three times so he said it three times. This hadeeth is fabricated (mawdoo’), according to the consensus of the scholars of hadeeth.

It is narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught people various adhkaar to say, and the best of dhikr is Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah. This is what he urged his paternal uncle Abu Taalib to say when he was dying. He said, “O uncle, say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah and I will defend you thereby before Allaah.” And he said: “I know of a word which no one says when he is dying but his soul finds rest in it.” And he said, “Anyone whose last words are Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah will enter Paradise.” And he said, “Whoever dies knowing that there is no god except Allaah will enter Paradise.” And he said: “I have been commanded to fight people until they bear witness that there is no god except Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah. If they do that, their blood and wealth will be safe from me, except for what is due from them [e.g., zakaah etc.], and their reckoning is with Allaah.” And there are many similar ahaadeeth.
Majmoo’ al-Fataawaa, 10/556-558

And, regarding the third hadith, we do not take hadiths as they are, but our understanding is to be the understanding of the Companion and the Salaf and how they understood the Ahadith. If the third hadith presented is being used as a proof for the innovated group Dhikrs, then let it be known to those who present it as such that Ibn Mas'ud r.a. said to those who were engaged in such activity: "Realize that, either you are more knowledgeable than Muhammad and his Companions, or else you are holding on to the tail of misguidance."

The narration, and the authenticity of its isnaad is established here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ibn-yahya.html
masha'Allah what an exaggeration, i'll end up with you "lakum deenukum waliya deen"
Ya Akhi, do you know who that verse is addressed to in the Qur'an? It is addressed to the disbelievers. I do not know your intention, but from the apparent context in which you have used that verse against your muslim brother, it seems you have made Takfir upon him because that whole Surah is directed to be said to the disbelievers.

And Allaah knows best.

adeel
06-17-2007, 10:45 PM
how does one get a doctorate? from cornflakes packet?
What is "Dr." in front of Br. Philips' name? a decoration?
no i dont mean that i mean like get some evidence for it, just to make sure its a fact and not just an opinion from somebody from the back of their mind.

NoName55
06-17-2007, 10:46 PM
:) k wasalaam

Khayal
06-17-2007, 10:56 PM

May ALLAH SWT forgive me, this sentence made me laugh, Astaghfirullah..:hiding: :hiding:

sitting in corner spining head and going Allah, Allah? or hu hu hu? :skeleton: :giggling:

asadxyz
06-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I hope these few words help you to know the meanings in which word "Zikullah" ( ذكرالله)has been used in the Holy Quran;
: ذَكر اللهُ الذِّكر فى القرآن على عشرين وجهًا:
الأَوّل: ذِكْر اللِّسان {فَٱذْكُرُواْ ٱللَّهَ كَذِكْرِكُمْ آبَآءَكُمْ}.
الثانى: ذِكْر / بالقلب {ذَكَرُواْ ٱللَّهَ فَٱسْتَغْفَرُواْ لِذُنُوبِهِمْ}.
الثَّالث: بمعنى الوعظ {وَذَكِّرْ فَإِنَّ ٱلذِّكْرَىٰ تَنفَعُ ٱلْمُؤْمِنِينَ} {فَذَكِّرْ إِن نَّفَعَتِ ٱلذِّكْرَىٰ}.
الرّابع: بمعنى التوراة {فَاسْئَلُوۤاْ أَهْلَ ٱلذِّكْرِ}.
الخامس: بمعنى القرآن {وَهَـٰذَا ذِكْرٌ مُّبَارَكٌ أَنزَلْنَاهُ}.
السّادس: بمعنى اللَّوح المحفوظ {وَلَقَدْ كَتَبْنَا فِي ٱلزَّبُورِ مِن بَعْدِ ٱلذِّكْرِ}.
السَّابع: بمعنى رسالة الرّسول {أَوَ عَجِبْتُمْ أَن جَآءَكُمْ ذِكْرٌ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ} أَى رسالة.
الثَّامن: بمعنى العِبْرة {أَفَنَضْرِبُ عَنكُمُ ٱلذِّكْرَ صَفْحاً} أَى العِبَر.
التَّاسع: بمعنى الخَبَر {هَـٰذَا ذِكْرُ مَن مَّعِيَ وَذِكْرُ مَن قَبْلِي}.
العاشر: بمعنى الرّسول {قَدْ أَنزَلَ ٱللَّهُ إِلَيْكُمْ ذِكْراً رَّسُولاً}.
الحادى عشر: بمعنى الشَّرف {وَإِنَّهُ لَذِكْرٌ لَّكَ وَلِقَوْمِكَ} أَى شرف.
الثانى عشر: بمعنى التَّوبة {ذٰلِكَ ذِكْرَىٰ لِلذَّاكِرِينَ}.
الثالث عشر: بمعنى الصَّلوات الخمس {فَٱذْكُرُواْ ٱللَّهَ كَمَا عَلَّمَكُم}.
الرابع عشر: بمعنى صلاة العصر خاصّة {أَحْبَبْتُ حُبَّ ٱلْخَيْرِ عَن ذِكْرِ رَبِّي}.
الخامس عشر: بمعنى صلاة الجمعة {فَٱسْعَوْاْ إِلَىٰ ذِكْرِ ٱللَّهِ}.
السّادس عشر: بمعنى العُذْر من التَّقصير {فَإِذَا قَضَيْتُمُ ٱلصَّلاَةَ فَٱذْكُرُواْ ٱللَّهَ}.
السَّابع عشر: بمعنى الشَّفاعة {ٱذْكُرْنِي عِندَ رَبِّكَ}.
الثامن عشر: بمعنى التَّوحيد {وَمَنْ أَعْرَضَ عَن ذِكْرِي} {وَمَن يُعْرِضْ عَن ذِكْرِ رَبِّهِ}.
التَّاسع عشر: بمعنى ذكر المنَّة {ٱذْكُرْ نِعْمَتِي عَلَيْكَ}، {ٱذْكُرُواْ نِعْمَتِيَ ٱلَّتِي أَنْعَمْتُ عَلَيْكُمْ}.
العشرون: بمعنى الطَّاعة والخِدمة {فَٱذْكُرُونِيۤ أَذْكُرْكُمْ} أَى اذكرونى بالطَّاعة أَذكركم بالجنَّة.
والذَّكَرُ: خلاف الأُنثى، وجمعه ذكور وذُكْرَان، قال تعالى: {وَمَا خَلَقَ ٱلذَّكَرَ وَٱلأُنثَىٰ} أَى ومَنْ خلق، وقال: {خَلَقْنَاكُم مِّن ذَكَرٍ وَأُنْثَىٰ} أَى آدم وحَوَّاء. وقال: {يَهَبُ لِمَن يَشَآءُ إِنَاثاً وَيَهَبُ لِمَن يَشَآءُ ٱلذُّكُورَ} وقال: {خَلَقَ ٱلزَّوْجَيْنِ ٱلذَّكَرَ وَٱلأُنثَىٰ}.
وقال بمعنى التَّوأَمين {فَجَعَلَ مِنْهُ ٱلزَّوْجَيْنِ ٱلذَّكَرَ وَٱلأُنثَىٰ}.
وبمعنى مَرْيم البتُول: {وَلَيْسَ ٱلذَّكَرُ كَٱلأُنْثَىٰ}.
وقال تعالى: {أَلَكُمُ ٱلذَّكَرُ وَلَهُ ٱلأُنْثَىٰ} وقال: {أَتَأْتُونَ ٱلذُّكْرَانَ مِنَ ٱلْعَالَمِينَ} وقال: {قُلْ ءَآلذَّكَرَيْنِ حَرَّمَ أَمِ ٱلأُنثَيَيْنِ} وقال {لِلذَّكَرِ مِثْلُ حَظِّ ٱلأُنْثَيَيْنِ} وقال: {وَمَن يَعْمَلْ مِنَ ٱلصَّالِحَاتِ مِن ذَكَرٍ أَوْ أُنْثَىٰ}.

Source: http://altafsir.com/MiscellaneousBooks.asp
Best of luck

NoName55
06-17-2007, 11:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khayal

May ALLAH SWT forgive me, this sentence made me laugh, Astaghfirullah..:hiding: :hiding:

sitting in corner spining head and going Allah, Allah? or hu hu hu?
I see laughter as a gift from our Creator

جزاکالله خیرا والسلام علیکم

Musalmaan
06-18-2007, 05:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MM²™

What can be understood from these hadith is that the 'dhikr' in them refers to the adhkar after salah.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him)
said: The Name of Allaah on its own, either as a noun (“Allaah”) or a pronoun (“Huwa”) is not a complete phrase or meaningful sentence.

Even though there are scholars who have regarded Allamah Ibn Taymiyyah (rahmatulla alih) to be Shaykh al-Islam, but it is also true n i hope you dont portray else that he is not the ONLY Shaykh in Islam. There are many many sunni scholars b4 Ibn Taymiyyah r.a and after him.

It is also very widely known in Ahlus Sunnha wal Jamaah that Ibn Taymiyyah r.a had many tafarrudaat(independent) view that were totally different from the jamhoor (majority) of ahlus sunnah scholars. eg. 3-1 talaaq issue, there is consensus among the four madh-hab in 3-3 talaaq issue (independent of time and place) but Allamah Ibn Taymiyyah r.a had his own very independent rulings over it (where his this ruling is similar to shias of jafari sect), even in saudi arabia where the official madh-hab is Hanbali they have disregarded his independent view based upon that his view is against the jamhaaor and consensus of the four madh-hab which constitutes the Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaah.

So what I am trying to explain is that be careful when passing his views among the matter of shariah and don't portray as it is the ONLY view in Ahlus Sunnan wal Jamaah, when it is very obvious as daylight that he was in major issues against the jamhoor views, like in this issue of ALLAH if called alone has no meaning.

Acc. to many pious ulema and Auliyah Allah, that word ALLAH is ISM-E-ADHAM. Insha'Allah i'll shared the proofs from the ayah of Quran and Hadith in my next post.

format_quote Originally Posted by MM²™
Ya Akhi, do you know who that verse is addressed to in the Qur'an? It is addressed to the disbelievers. I do not know your intention, but from the apparent context in which you have used that verse against your muslim brother, it seems you have made Takfir upon him because that whole Surah is directed to be said to the disbelievers.
This verse is also used in case to avoid further argumentation when one think other to be deviated or following different way than his, in case NONAME thought that I am deviated sufi for the view that ALLAH or AHAD can be called alone irrespective where there is enemy in front of you or not.

Musalmaan
06-18-2007, 06:27 AM
The permissibility of calling on Allah's names.

"Say, 'Call on Allah or call on the Rahmaan,
whomever you call on,
His are the most beautiful Names'."
(Qur'an, Surat al-Isra, ayah 110)

"To Allah belong the most beautiful names, so call Him by them" (Surah Al-Aráf:180)

"Say: ALLAH. Then leave them to their playing" (Surah Al-Anàam:91)

The Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alihi wa sallam said, upon him blessings and peace:

"ALLAH, ALLAH! Fear Him with regard to my Companions! Do not make them targets after me! Whoever loves them loves them with his love for me; and whoever hates them hates them with his hatred for me. Whoever bears enmity for them, bears enmity for me; and whoever bears enmity for me, bears enmity for Allah. Whoever bears enmity for Allah is about to perish!"

Narrated from `Abd Allah ibn Mughaffal by al-Tirmidhi who said: gharîb (single-routed), by Ahmad with three good chains in his Musnad, al-Bukhari in his Tarikh, al-Bayhaqi in Shu`ab al-Iman, and others. Al-Suyuti declared it hasan in his Jami` al-Saghir (#1442).

Asma' bint `Umays the wife of Abu Bakr and mother of `Abd Allah ibn Ja`far ibn Abi Talib - Allah be well-pleased with all of them! - said:

"The Messenger of Allah - upon him blessings and peace - taught me words for me to say in times of duress: ' ALLAH, ALLAH is my Lord nor do I associate with him anything!'" (Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah with a good chain)
The Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alihi wa sallam - said as narrated from Anas:

"The Hour will not rise until ALLAH, ALLAH is no longer said on the earth."

Through another chain from Anas, Allah be well-pleased with him:

"The Hour will not rise on anyone saying: ALLAH, ALLAH."

Muslim narrated both in his "Sahih," Book of Iman (belief), chapter 66 titled (by al-Nawawi): "The Disappearance of Belief at the End of Times."

Imam al-Nawawi said in his commentary on this chapter:

"Know that the narrations of this hadith are unanimous in the repetition of the name of Allah the Exalted for both versions and that is the way it is found in all the authoritative books."
(Sharh Sahih Muslim, Dar al-Qalam, Beirut ed. vol. 1/2 p. 537).

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-18-2007, 03:41 PM

Through another chain from Anas, Allah be well-pleased with him:

"The Hour will not rise on anyone saying: ALLAH, ALLAH."
:salamext:

This has been refuted by the scholars of the sunnah. This is a misinterpretation of the hadeeth. You can find a reference to that here, by Sh al-Albaanee (rahimahullaah):

http://al-ibaanah.com/cms/pdf_files/50.pdf

And here is another by Sh Salih al-Munajjid:

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=9389&ln=eng&txt

NoName55
06-18-2007, 04:04 PM
"Say: ALLAH. Then leave them to their playing" (Surah Al-Anàam:91)
was it not in form of answer answer to a question?

they (the Opponents of Allah's Prophet.) did not estimate Allâh with an estimation due to Him when they said: "Nothing did Allâh send down to any human being ." Say (O Muhammad) :

"Who Then sent down the Book which Mûsa brought, a light and a guidance to mankind which You (the Opponents etc.) have made into papersheets, disclosing (some) and concealing (much). and You (believers In Allâh and his Messenger), were taught that which neither You nor Your fathers knew." say: "Allâh (sent it down)." Then leave them to play In their vain discussions.

Tafsir Al-Qurtubî, Vol.7, Page 37

wasalaam to believers and seekers of truth and lahnat of Allah to liars and those who distort His message

Umm Yoosuf
06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
:salamext:

I believe this thread was meant to be for a benefit and a reminder to us not to start a debate.

:threadclo

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-19-2007, 12:08 AM

It is also very widely known in Ahlus Sunnha wal Jamaah that Ibn Taymiyyah r.a had many tafarrudaat(independent) view that were totally different from the jamhoor (majority) of ahlus sunnah scholars. eg. 3-1 talaaq issue,
there is consensus among the four madh-hab in 3-3 talaaq issue (independent of time and place) but Allamah Ibn Taymiyyah r.a had his own very independent rulings over it (where his this ruling is similar to shias of jafari sect),
So dear brother, is there an Ijma' or is there not?

Dear brother, it is quite contradictory for you to claim that this is a majority opinion, whilst the minority differed; and then for you to claim that all scholars agreed on a ruling, both at the same time, in the same sentence.

My dear brother, there are alot of issues in which scholars have claimed an ijma' while a khilaf already exists and is establised and it was precisely about this that Imam Ahmad said that whoever claims that there is an Ijma' is a liar, for people may have differed.

Note: I am not addressing any scholars.

But I am addressing YOU because YOU have said in YOUR OWN WORDS that

i) there is an Ijma'
ii) the majority held this position, i.e. you have established a khilaf

So tell me which one is it? Ijma' or Jamhoor?

I don't think you can get yourself out of this one :)

Edit- Sorry, I didn't realize this thread was closed. Anyway, I'm not interested in debating this as you can go on pretending there is an Ijma', but I don't think you'll be able to get yourself out of the contradiction you put yourself in anyway.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.