/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on the black stone

barney
06-20-2007, 04:55 AM
Howdy. Heres some questions I have on the الحجر الأسود

1) Tirmidhi,'s hadith which asserts that at the Last Judgement (Qiyamah), the Black Stone will speak for those who kissed it:

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbas said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said concerning the Stone: "By Allah, Allah will bring it forth on the Day of Resurrection, and it will have two eyes with which it will see and a tongue with which it will speak, and it will testify in favour of those who touched it in sincerity.

Is this a authentic hadith?

2) The second rightly guided caliph said " "No doubt, I know that you are a stone and can neither harm anyone nor benefit anyone. Had I not seen Allah's Messenger [Muhammad] kissing you, I would not have kissed you."

This I assume is to make it clear that the stone is not an Idol. Why is it kissed and pointed at? What significance does it have in Islam?

3) Ive read that the stone was white and turned black.
One explaination was that it took on the worlds sin. Does it still have any power to do that?
Another was that it was touched by menstruating women.

which one if any is correct?

thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umu 'Isa
06-20-2007, 10:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Howdy. Heres some questions I have on the الحجر الأسود

1) Tirmidhi,'s hadith which asserts that at the Last Judgement (Qiyamah), the Black Stone will speak for those who kissed it:

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbas said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said concerning the Stone: "By Allah, Allah will bring it forth on the Day of Resurrection, and it will have two eyes with which it will see and a tongue with which it will speak, and it will testify in favour of those who touched it in sincerity.

Is this a authentic hadith?
Yes it is a strong hadeeth.

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 961; Ibn Maajah, 2944

This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi, and as qawiy by al-Haafiz ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari, 3/462

2) The second rightly guided caliph said " "No doubt, I know that you are a stone and can neither harm anyone nor benefit anyone. Had I not seen Allah's Messenger [Muhammad] kissing you, I would not have kissed you."

This I assume is to make it clear that the stone is not an Idol. Why is it kissed and pointed at? What significance does it have in Islam?
You might want to have a read of this article.

Is the Black Stone an Idol?

and this fatwa here: The Black Stone

One explaination was that it took on the worlds sin. Does it still have any power to do that?
Another was that it was touched by menstruating women.

The hadeeth is,

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the Black Stone came down from Paradise, it was whiter than milk, but the sins of the sons of Adam made it black.”

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 877; Ahmad, 2792. Classed as saheeh by Ibn Khuzaymah, 4/219. Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar classed it as qawiy (strong) in Fath al-Baari, 3/462).
thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can give you a better answer.

Makky
06-20-2007, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
2) The second rightly guided caliph said "

you can find out the significance of it here }}} islamQA

as you said its not an idol and it can niether harm nor benifit anyone but when you do so there in makkah in the house of Allah in front of kabba it brings a deep feeling to you that you are but a slave . a poor servent in front of your almighty Lord...
and when you know that this black stone was in jannah (paradize) before it came down to earth....when you know that this is the only thing on the earth that came from outside..out of the whole world....when you kiss ,touch or even point to...hmm something i couldn't explain in words.

One explaination was that it took on the worlds sin. Does it still have any power to do that?Another was that it was touched by menstruating women.

thanks in advance
the sins of the people turned it black..but wait! the black stone itself has no power at all ... its just a stone...Omar ebn El-khattab radya allahu 3anho said :No doubt, I know that you are a stone and can neither harm anyone nor benefit anyone. Had I not seen Allah's Messenger [Muhammad] kissing you, I would not have kissed you."

the forgiveness is from Allah only ..you can find the follwoing quote from the previous link^^
(8) Touching the Stone is one of the things by means of which Allaah expiates for sins

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Touching them both [the Black Stone and al-Rukn al-Yamani] is an expiation for sins.”

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 959. This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi and as saheeh by al-Haakim (1/664). Al-Dhahabi agreed with him).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.