/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Summary of the Most Important Characteristics of Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'at

Abunaaila
08-19-2005, 05:50 PM
A Summary of the Most Important Characteristics of Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'at
Shaykh Naasir ibn 'Abdul-Kareem al-'Aql

Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah (those who follow what the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam and his Companions were upon; with respect to beliefs, actions and guidance) are the Saved-Sect in the Hereafter and the Victorious and Aided Group in this world. Despite the distance of (time and place) between them, they possess certain characteristics which distinguish them from others. From them are:-

[1]: They attach great importance to the Book of Allaah; its recitation, memorisation and understanding its correct tafseer (explanation). Likewise they attach great importance to the Hadeeth (Prophetic narrations), by their knowledge and understanding of it, and their distinguishing the authentic narrations from the weak and false ones. These two - the Qur'aan and the authentic hadeeth - are the root source of acquiring the 'aqeedah (beliefs) and ahkaam (rulings). Furthermore, they couple their knowledge with action,
according to the level of their knowledge.

[2]: They enter into the Religion completely. They have eemaan (certainty of belief) in all of the Book, having eemaan in the textual promises and threats that are mentioned in it. They also have eemaan in those verses affirming Allaah's Attributes and those that negate any resemblance of Allaah to His creation. They combine having eemaan in al-Qadr (Pre-Decree and Predestination) along with
affirming the fact that the slave possess free will and choice in action. They also combine knowledge along with worship, strength along with mercy, and utilising the necessary worldly means along with having zuhd (renouncing the world).

[3]: They follow the Sunnah (Prophetic guidance) and abandon innovations in the Religion. Likewise, they shun sectarianism and ikhtilaaf (differences) in matters of Religion.

[4]: They follow the guidance of the trustworthy Scholars; the Sahaabah (Companions), and all those who traverse their path - following them in matters of beliefs, actions and da'wah (calling to Allaah). They keep away from those that oppose the path of the Companions.

[5]: They adhere to the middle position. Thus, in matters of i'tiqaad (beliefs), they hold a middle position between those sects that go into extremes. Likewise, in acts of worship and sulook (conduct), they adhere to a middle position between those who exceed the limits and those who fall short.

[6]: They strive to gather the word of the Muslims upon the truth, and to unify their ranks upon tawheed (to single out Allaah alone for worship) and ittibaa' (following the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, the Companions and the Pious Predecessors of this Ummah), and seek to eliminate all avenues that lead to differing and splitting between them. From this standpoint, they do not
distinguish themselves from the rest of the Muslims - in matters concerning the usoolud-deen (fundamentals of the Religion) - with any other name, except that of the Sunnah and the Jamaa'ah. Likewise, they do not form walaa (love, loyalty and allegiance) or 'adaa (enmity and disalliegence) with anyone, upon a bond other than Islaam and the Sunnah.

[7]: They call to Allaah, and towards enjoining the good, forbidding the evil, Jihaad, reviving the Sunnah, reviving the Religion, and establishing the Sharee'ah (Prescribed Law) of Allaah and His Rule, in every matter - large or small.

[8]: They have insaaf (fairness) and 'adl (justice). So they observe the right of Allaah - the Most High - when dealing with people. When doing so, they neither look towards their own self-interests, nor that of their group. This is why they do not exploit others, nor do them wrong, nor do they belittle those who deserve esteem whosoever they may be.

[9]: They possess a uniformity in understanding, and a similarity in their stances - even though there are great distances between their respective lands and times. This is from the fruits of them possessing a single source for the Religion, and a single unified methodology for its acquisition.

[10]: They possess ihsaan (kindness), rahmah (mercy), and husnul-khalq (good manners) towards all people.

[11]: They show naseehah (sincerity) to Allaah, His Book, His Messenger, and are sincere and give sincere advice to the Muslim leaders and the general body of Muslims.

[12]: They are concerned with the affairs of the Muslims, aid them, fulfil the rights towards them, and prevent any injury from reaching them.

1. From Mujmol Usool Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah Fil-'Aqeedah (pp.27-29).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zuko
08-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Salaam,

I just wanted to ask, aren't following certain sects haraam? Why can't we all go around and just call ourselves Muslim?

Salaam

Uthman
08-19-2005, 05:55 PM
:sl: Sweet_sorrow,

The Prophet Muhammad said "Indeed those from before you from the People of the Book divided into seventy-two groups. And, indeed, this group (Muslims) will divide into seventy-three. Seventy-two groups will be in the Hellfire and one of them will be in Paradise. And it is the Jamaa'ah (group)."

:w:

Zuko
08-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Salaam,

So this Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'at group is the 'group' Muhammad (SAW) was talking about? Just curious that's all...

Salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
08-19-2005, 06:00 PM
:sl:

And I recommend you read the article entitled The Saved Sect by Sheikh Muhammad Ibn Jameel Zainoo. :)

Far7an
08-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Assalamu alaikum
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

And I recommend your read the article entitled The Saved Sect by Sheikh Muhammad Ibn Jameel Zainoo. :)

The Saved Sect by Sheikh Muhammad Ibn Jameel Zainoo.

Uthman
08-19-2005, 06:03 PM

Sorry again :-[ I should have provided the link

Zuko
08-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Salaam,

I read it and it sounds good enough... But its still a sect no? What's the difference if I just call myself muslim and not Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'at... I mean, we are completely divided and there's no ummah left really... Unless if you count those people as the ummah...

Oh I don't know this is so confusing....

Uthman
08-19-2005, 06:12 PM

You will undoubtedly have noticed:

"Everyone of them in the Hellfire, except for one group that which I and my companions are upon."

This is the Ahl-us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah group. They are the true muslims since it is what the prophet (SAWS) and his companions are upon.

- Qatada -
08-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Asalam o alikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

In the hadith it says "(Muslims) will divide into seventy-three (sects)" hence the fact that we will probably be in one of them sects whether we like it or not.. and that means we have to follow one of the sects - "one of them will be in Paradise And it is the Jamaa'ah (group)." therefore if we don't be within that sect then we will not be given the chance to enter Jannah.

Now look at the top of the (previous) page and see the characteristics of the Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'at.. you are probably one of them. and by lookin at the characteristics its kinda obvious why the Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'at are the ones who will enter Jannah.

wasalam o alikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Uthman
08-19-2005, 06:54 PM

Very true indeed brother Aqib. :)

Zuko
08-19-2005, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim

Sister the 'jamaah' which is mentoned in the hadeeth is the jamaah of the salaf, the first three generations, the best of creation upon siratul mustaqeen.

What the difference between Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah and the Salaf? The only sects I know much about are sunni, shi'a, sufis and wahhabis....

Far7an
08-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Assalamu alaikum
shi'a
Shee'ahs - Overview
sufis
Sufism - Details

wahhabis.
The 'Wahhabi' myth & the Salafi path

Zuko
08-19-2005, 06:59 PM
I know those... I was forced to do research on all of them in school, but I want to know whats the difference between the Salaf and Ahlus-Sunnah Wal Jamaa'ah... Are they the same?

Uthman
08-19-2005, 07:11 PM

The Salaf were the generation during the time of the Prophet (SAWS) and the two generations after them.

Read here to gain a better undertanding about Ahl-us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah.

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Salafism (following early muslims)=Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jam'ah (following the sunnah of the Prophet saws and the consensus)=Ahlul Hadith (following the hadith of the Prophet saws)

They are all the same. Sweet sorrow, whether you want to label yourself or not, the truth of the matter is that you still follow a certain path. You believe in following the Qur'an and the sunnah of the Prophet saws, therefore you're from Ahlus-Sunnah whether you proclaim it or not. The truth of the matter is that we distinguish ourselves from false groups who distort the religion and don't want to follow the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Zuko
08-19-2005, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Salafism (following early muslims)=Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jam'ah (following the sunnah of the Prophet saws and the consensus)=Ahlul Hadith (following the hadith of the Prophet saws)

They are all the same. Sweet sorrow, whether you want to label yourself or not, the truth of the matter is that you still follow a certain path. You believe in following the Qur'an and the sunnah of the Prophet saws, therefore you're from Ahlus-Sunnah whether you proclaim it or not. The truth of the matter is that we distinguish ourselves from false groups who distort the religion and don't want to follow the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Thanks for clearing that up... I can finally see the light!
>
>
>
>
>
No wait, its my lamp....

Uthman
08-19-2005, 09:09 PM

And 'the' Ansar saves the day once more :D

TEH
08-19-2005, 09:22 PM
I dont think it is for us to judge who will or will not enter jannah. Rather, we should be trying our hardest to perfect our own deen...

:)

- Qatada -
08-19-2005, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet_sorrow

Thanks for clearing that up... I can finally see the light!
>
>
>
>
>
No wait, its my lamp....

Asalam o alikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

OK. sis it looks like yo confused.. to keep it straightforward the salaf and the ahle sunnah are both similar and don't contradict in any way. the salaf were the first 3 generations of muslims at the time of the prophet (salallahu alai hi wasalam) but they were ahle sunnah at the same time because they followed the sunnah and the ways of the Qur'an.

what i think yo confused with is that you think the salaf are another form like sunnis and wahabis and dat whereas the salaf has nothin 2 do with it.. both the sunni and wahabis do argue that they follow the way of the salaf (the muslims of the first 3 generations) and hence the term 'salaf' for purposes such as "i'm a sunni and the salaf were sunnis to." or vice versa if u get me..

so just keep in mind that salaf is in no way a sect like sunni and wahabi or shia etc. (from wa i know.)
insh Allah that helpd.. if na den go ask da proz lol.

wasalam o alikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Abunaaila
08-20-2005, 05:17 AM
Insha Allah this helps in the understanding of the call of the salaf...

This is Our Call (The Way of the Salaf)

From our father and Sheikh Muhammad Naasir ud-Deen Al-Albaanee

ChasingRainbows
08-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Salam Alaikum,

Masha allah this is very benificial. May Allah keep us on the path.

Abunaaila
08-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Why it is Obligatory to Ascribe Oneself to Salafiyyah

Overview:

Listen to the Imaam of Salafiyyah (Imaam Muhammad Naasirud-Deen al-Albaanee) recount his encounter with a man who does not feel that it is obligatory for one to ascribe himself openly to the truth – the madhhab of the Salaf.

Also the Sheikh answers the question of why it is not sufficient to just say "I am Muslim."

Arabic w/English translation

Listen Here

Ya Allah I ask that this audio is a benefit to all who listen to it. I ask ya Rabb that those who are not familiar with the manhaj of as Salafiyyah that they find the truth in it, and that if You in your mercy bring them to this haqq, that then You keep their feet firm upon it. Ameen

kadafi
08-20-2005, 09:56 PM

If one wants to know the meaning of the term Ahl us-Sunnah wal Jamaa'ah, they can refer to:

The Meaning of Ahl us-Sunnah wal Jamaa'at

Uthman
08-20-2005, 10:19 PM

JazakAllah Khayr Kadafi. :) It's nice to see you back.

Umm Yoosuf
08-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Masha Allah. Masha Allah. Jazkallaahu Khayr for the post.

Uthman
09-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Salaam,

Following a discussion elsewhere, I am wondering, doesn't this contradict the Qur'an in the following places:

And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allah (i.e. this Quran), and be not divided among yourselves, and remember Allahs Favour on you.....
[Surah Al-Imran, 103]

And verily! This your religion (of Islamic Monotheism) is one religion, and I am your Lord, so keep your duty to Me.
But they (men) have broken their religion among them into sects, each group rejoicing in its belief.
But they (men) have broken their religion among them into sects, each group rejoicing in its belief.
[Surah, Al-Momenoon, 52:54]

Turn ye back in repentance to Him, and fear Him: establish regular prayers, and be not ye among those who join gods with Allah,- Those who split up their Religion, and become (mere) Sects,- each party rejoicing in that which is with itself!
[Surah Al-Room, 32]

Uthman
09-05-2005, 06:27 AM

No comments? I'm disappointed! Here let me try again. There is this hadith as we all know:

The Prophet Muhammad said "Indeed those from before you from the People of the Book divided into seventy-two groups. And, indeed, this group (Muslims) will divide into seventy-three. Seventy-two groups will be in the Hellfire and one of them will be in Paradise. And it is the Jamaa'ah (group)."

Some people are deeming this a weak hadith saying that it contradicts the three verses mentioned in my post above. I suppose I'm inclined to agree with them. I'm not sure what to believe now. What do you guys think?

kadafi
09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Salaam,

Following a discussion elsewhere, I am wondering, doesn't this contradict the Qur'an in the following places:

And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allah (i.e. this Quran), and be not divided among yourselves, and remember Allahs Favour on you.....
[Surah Al-Imran, 103]

And verily! This your religion (of Islamic Monotheism) is one religion, and I am your Lord, so keep your duty to Me.
[Surah, Al-Momenoon, 52:54]

Turn ye back in repentance to Him, and fear Him: establish regular prayers, and be not ye among those who join gods with Allah,- Those who split up their Religion, and become (mere) Sects,- each party rejoicing in that which is with itself!
[Surah Al-Room, 32]

It does not contradict the ayahs you cited because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) merely prophesied that sects/parties will emerge. He warned us about them and commanded us to adhere to the main body [jamaa'ah] of the Muslimeen.

For example, many hizbs[groups] and sects emerged claimin' to be on the path of Ahlus-Sunnah but the scholars of truth exposed their deviant ideologies and falsehood. This is because the Prophet said that a group of his Ummah will always remain on the Truth untill the Day of Recompense and they are those who follow the path of those whom Allaah has favoured, namely the Prophets, the Siddiqun, the martyrs and the righteous.

Some people are deeming this a weak hadith saying that it contradicts the three verses mentioned in my post above. I suppose I'm inclined to agree with them. I'm not sure what to believe now. What do you guys think?
Then who are "these" people? Are they scholars of hadeeth? Apparantly not since these hadeeths related by at-Tirmidhi and al-hakeem have been authenthicated by al-Haafidh al-Iraaqee in Takhreejul-Ihyaa and Shaykh al-Albaanee [the hadeeth scholar of the century] in as-Saheehah

Uthman
09-05-2005, 09:03 PM

JazakAllah Khair Kadafi. :) Your post will be very useful.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.