/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is meant by Hijab in the Holy Quran?

stefanrosty
06-21-2007, 05:05 AM
The Hijab, implying headcover, has become incorporated within the Islamic way of life as an uncontestable, untouchable, and indisputable "Truth". The different Islamic societies have taken the Hijab to different extents, and today, amongst many of those societies, even the basic headcover no longer suffices, with girls as young as 12 and 13 forced to wear the full nekab, covering even their eyes. Unfortunately, the Hijab remains a taboo subject that few dare approach. However, it is a complex topic that requires much insight and study. It must not be accepted as a de facto along with all the other irrefutable "Truths" of the Islamic faith. Is the Hijab a fard? Is it required by the Holy book of the Quran or has it been adopted by the believers over the year by means of imitation?

In an attempt to answer such piercing questions surrounding the subject of the Hijab, I have conducted extensive research delving into the Holy Book, finding all references made to the Hijab. My research relied entirely on the Quran itself, absent of all the other external texts that might fog our understanding of the Holy text.

I have tried to provide a comprehensive collection of all the different extracts of the Quran that discuss the Hijab in an attempt to fully understand the significations of the Hijab, and more importantly, the role and the shape that it should take within Islamic societies.

[LINK REMOVED]

In doing so, I came across the ambiguity of the term "Hijab", realizing that my common understanding of the term was entirely different to the way in which the term has been employed in the Quran. If the Hijab literally means "barrier", why is it that it has come to signify "headcover" and even "nekab"? Any comments ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
asadxyz
06-21-2007, 06:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by stefanrosty
The Hijab, implying headcover, has become incorporated within the Islamic way of life as an uncontestable, untouchable, and indisputable "Truth". The different Islamic societies have taken the Hijab to different extents, and today, amongst many of those societies, even the basic headcover no longer suffices, with girls as young as 12 and 13 forced to wear the full nekab, covering even their eyes. Unfortunately, the Hijab remains a taboo subject that few dare approach. However, it is a complex topic that requires much insight and study. It must not be accepted as a de facto along with all the other irrefutable "Truths" of the Islamic faith. Is the Hijab a fard? Is it required by the Holy book of the Quran or has it been adopted by the believers over the year by means of imitation?

In an attempt to answer such piercing questions surrounding the subject of the Hijab, I have conducted extensive research delving into the Holy Book, finding all references made to the Hijab. My research relied entirely on the Quran itself, absent of all the other external texts that might fog our understanding of the Holy text.

I have tried to provide a comprehensive collection of all the different extracts of the Quran that discuss the Hijab in an attempt to fully understand the significations of the Hijab, and more importantly, the role and the shape that it should take within Islamic societies.

[LINK REMOVED]

In doing so, I came across the ambiguity of the term "Hijab", realizing that my common understanding of the term was entirely different to the way in which the term has been employed in the Quran. If the Hijab literally means "barrier", why is it that it has come to signify "headcover" and even "nekab"? Any comments ?
Peace:
May I ask you ,why are you so much concerned about these topics ??

doorster
06-21-2007, 07:18 AM
:sl:
Because he/she is a corruptor and sees an oportunity to pick up a few victims from here
:w:

Malaikah
06-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Are you anti-hadith? If not, why did you only use the Quran to come to your conclusion. The hadith clarify what is meant by the general verses in the Quran.

The hijab is compulsory by the consensus of the scholars of Islam.

Oh, I just realized you are an atheist. I don't see why you think you are qualified to interpret the quran yourself and come to a conclusion that no Muslim before can come to.

Please, leave our religion alone.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
06-21-2007, 07:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by asadxyz
Peace:
May I ask you ,why are you so much concerned about these topics ??
Perhaps because he seeks the truth?

Personally, I think the topic question is a very interesting one ... and I for one am looking forward to the replies.

Peace

doorster
06-21-2007, 07:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Personally, I think the topic question is a very interesting one ... and I for one am looking forward to the replies.

Peace
You would do better to visit his site, where he tell us that Christ is dead. May allah protect us from likes of him

rozeena
06-21-2007, 07:58 AM
assalam alikum, is it neccesary 2 wear a head scarf?

asadxyz
06-21-2007, 08:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Peace
Peace :
What has an atheist to do with Islamic Fiqhi problems?
I cannot understand.
Same way a theist has nothing to do with atheist's problems? Nothing common in faith.

glo
06-21-2007, 08:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
You would do better to visit his site, where he tell us that Christ is dead. May allah protect us from likes of him
I have only briefly glanced at the given website link - at first glance it looks rather confusing, and I am not sure I will have the time to invest in reading it thoroughly ... :embarrass

What I meant, doorster, is that the original topic question is one I would like to hear Muslim's views on and see debated - peacefully and respectfully.

I don't easily push my views onto others (at least I try not to), but I am interested in hearing and understanding other people's views.
So how the Qu'ranic description of hijab came to mean women covering themselves in clothing is an interesting topic, at least in my mind.

I think what's happening is that at the moment here in LI we have let an atmosphere of attack and aggressive argument develop, which in turn leads people to react defensively or counterattack.
Sadly that kind of atmosphere does not encourage peaceful and respectful debate ... something I am missing! :(

So rather than answering Stefan's question, people are wary (given the nature of his website), and he is not likely to get an answer to his question ... (If indeed he wants an answer to his question!)
But perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt ...

Peace

Umm Yoosuf
06-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Hello stefanrosty

Please bear in mind that it is against our forum rules to post anti Islamic sites. I have removed the link.

I believe you tried to do research on the Hijab however the sources from which you adopted your information are unreliable and completely misunderstand the context of the Hijab. No doubt Hijab is an obligation in Islam! Allah has commanded the women to dress in a certain way and like wise the man to dress in a certain way. There are many texts to support this from the Quran and the Sunnah. By the way the Quran and the Sunnah go hand in hand.

[يأَيُّهَا النَّبِىُّ قُل لاًّزْوَجِكَ وَبَنَـتِكَ وَنِسَآءِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِن جَلَـبِيبِهِنَّ ذلِكَ أَدْنَى أَن يُعْرَفْنَ فَلاَ يُؤْذَيْنَ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُوراً رَّحِيماً - لَّئِن لَّمْ يَنتَهِ الْمُنَـفِقُونَ وَالَّذِينَ فِى قُلُوبِهِمْ مَّرَضٌ وَالْمُرْجِفُونَ فِى الْمَدِينَةِ لَنُغْرِيَنَّكَ بِهِمْ ثُمَّ لاَ يُجَاوِرُونَكَ فِيهَآ إِلاَّ قَلِيلاً - مَّلْعُونِينَ أَيْنَمَا ثُقِفُواْ أُخِذُواْ وَقُتِّلُواْ تَقْتِيلاً - سُنَّةَ اللَّهِ فِى الَّذِينَ خَلَوْاْ مِن قَبْلُ وَلَن تَجِدَ لِسُنَّةِ اللَّهِ تَبْدِيلاً ]

Chapter 33 verse 59

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their Jalabib over their bodies. That will be better that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

You can find the explanation of the Ayaah (verse) here http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=33&tid=42166

Also:

"Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands..." (Qur'an 24:30-31)

Ayesha (R) reported that Asmaa the daughter of Abu Bakr (R) came to the Messenger of Allah (S) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." (Abu Dawood)

The Hijab is A simple outter cover that covers the woman from head to toe. There are differences of opinion among the scholars with regards to the Niqab. Oppression has nothing to do with ISLAM, although some ignorant Muslims oppress their own due to their culture and lack of knowledge with regards to Islam. Islam elevates the woman in a very high Status unlike any other societies and gives the woman total and complete rights.

Please see this link for more information on the Subject:

http://www.load-islam.com/family_soc...hp?topic_id=14

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/humanrel...atishijab.html

skhalid
06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not show off their beauty and ornaments except what is (ordinarily) visible thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards God, that ye may attain Bliss.

Surah 24 Verse 31

O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Surah 33 Verse 59
The first reason for wearing hijab, then, is that it is a command from God. Religious Muslims - like any other religious people belonging to any revealed religion - don't feel comfortable in deliberately disobeying God! If some Muslims, despite of the semantic clarity of the Qur'anic verses, still think that this ruling is not mandatory, this will not alter the message.
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...AskAboutIslamE

rubiesand
06-21-2007, 03:09 PM
He is not asking us, he wants to lecture us. I'd rather not be lectured to about my religion by an atheist thanks all the same.

Malaikah
06-22-2007, 04:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by stefanrosty
My research relied entirely on the Quran itself, absent of all the other external texts that might fog our understanding of the Holy text.
Fog our understanding? It is impossible to understand the Quran completely with out referring to the hadiths!

In fact, it is actually sinful to attempt to interpret the Quran using your own understanding, with out referring it to the understanding of the Prophet first.

The prophet Muhammad (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

"Whoever explains the Quran with his opinion or with what he has no knowledge of, then let him assume his seat in the fire."

[At-Tirmidhi, hasan]

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
06-22-2007, 04:36 AM
^^OUCH! At the last line :X lol. If the Hadith isnt necessary, I wonder how we could learn our different Du'as and how to make Salah! Doh! If hes an atheist why does it say brother? :confused:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.