/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Exodus 31:15

barney
06-26-2007, 10:44 PM
"For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death."

Hi, If I was to convert to christianity, should I pop over PC World on Sunday with a machinegun and carry out the lords word.

Or is the word "work" or "Sabbath" out of context here? :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
06-28-2007, 06:13 AM
Hi barney

I believe some orthodox Jewish groups are still very strict about the Sabbath laws. Although even in those strict religious circles do I not imagine anybody gets killed for breaking the law. :rollseyes
(It would be interesting if any Jewish posters could chip in here - because I don't know the full extend to which the Sabbath laws are upheld in modern-day Judaism)

As for Christian thinking, I believe the idea is more to set a day aside, which is not distracted by work and every-day hassles. That may be interpreted differently by different people ...
It doesn't mean that you cannot pop to the shops to buy bread and milk ...
It doesn't mean that you have te refuse your shift on the hospital ward ...

But, like I said, some people feel stronger about it than others.
A friend of mine went for a job interview, and asked whether he could not work on a Sunday on religious grounds. (Not so much because he didn't want to work on that day, but he didn't want to miss church)

Eric Liddell was an Olympic athlete during the 20's, and he famously refused to participate in his favoured race, because it was held on a Sunday.
During the summer of 1924, the Olympics were hosted by the city of Paris. Liddell was a committed Christian and refused to race on Sunday, with the consequence that he was forced to withdraw from the Men's 100 metres, his best event. The schedule had been published several months earlier, and his decision was made well before the Games began. Liddell spent the intervening months training for the 400 metres, an event in which he had previously excelled. Even so, his success in the 400 m was largely unexpected. He not only won the race but broke the existing world record with a time of 47.6 seconds. A few days earlier Liddell had competed in the 200 meter finals, for which he received the bronze medal, beating Harold Abrahams, who finished in sixth place. (This was the only race in which these two runners ever met.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Liddell
Jesus said this, when challenged about healing on the Sabbath:
Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, they asked him, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"

He said to them, "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

Then he said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus.
(Matthew 12: 9-13)
And this, when he was challenged on letting his disciples pick grain on the Sabbath:
One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some heads of grain. The Pharisees said to him, "Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?"
He answered, "Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions."

Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."
(Mark 2: 23-28)
So, personally, I see the Sunday as a day of rest - a day to spend with fellow believers at church, and a day to spend with my family, a day to chill out and relax ... but that doesn't mean I don't end up ironing the school uniforms in the evening (Although I delegate that job to somebody else, given half a chance - but not on Biblical grounds! :D )

glo

north_malaysian
06-28-2007, 06:21 AM
... and Friday is a working day in Malaysia..:D

Muslim Knight
06-28-2007, 06:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
... and Friday is a working day in Malaysia..:D
Not in the states of Terengganu, Perlis and Kelantan :D:D they have holidays on Fridays and Saturdays while Sundays are working days.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
06-28-2007, 06:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
Not in the states of Terengganu, Perlis and Kelantan :D:D they have holidays on Fridays and Saturdays while Sundays are working days.
in Kedah too.... but as I am working in private sector, the office is only closed on Sundays.

But still, in the Koran, there is no Sabbath on Fridays..... only obligatory congregational prayers.

barney
06-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Mmm.

It's just that, if you accept the bible as Gods word, God is surely right, and he's not saying things for no reason, he's commanding his followers here to kill anyone who works on Sunday.

So any christian who dosnt head out this sunday and massacer the shop assisstants down at Blockbuster Video Rental stores, is going against Gods Holy Word.

Really my point here is, why do we pick and choose elements of the Bible to follow? Why in the light of modern times do we no longer slaughter people on the sabbath for working?
If we beleive God has given us his message, why do we ignore parts of it? Invariably The brutal, inhuman parts.
Do we think Gods wrong? Have we trancended God?

glo
06-28-2007, 08:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Mmm.

It's just that, if you accept the bible as Gods word, God is surely right, and he's not saying things for no reason, he's commanding his followers here to kill anyone who works on Sunday.

So any christian who dosnt head out this sunday and massacer the shop assisstants down at Blockbuster Video Rental stores, is going against Gods Holy Word.

Really my point here is, why do we pick and choose elements of the Bible to follow? Why in the light of modern times do we no longer slaughter people on the sabbath for working?
If we beleive God has given us his message, why do we ignore parts of it? Invariably The brutal, inhuman parts.
Do we think Gods wrong? Have we trancended God?
No, we recognise that the severity and harshness of certain OT laws applied to the harshness of tribal living. People had to obey the rules, or the whole tribe was put at risk.
The laws were written down according to the need of the time.

That does not mean we have to apply them in the same way to modern life.
(As I said, it would be interesting to hear the Jewish perspective on this.)

As mentioned before, to me personally, Jesus' teachings and examples of living (see previous post) demonstrate very clearly that we are not to obey laws blindly, without testing them and being sure that they are of benefit to each given situation ...

We all do it all the time.
I firmly believe that it is wrong to steal or lie - the 10 commandments say so. (Those Golden Rules, in fact, apply to most societies past and present)
But I would not hestitate to resort to stealing or lying, if I thought it would save somebody's life.
Similarly, Jesus put the comfort of his disciples before the Sabbath law, by letting them pick grain.
He put the well-being of the leper before the Sabbath law, by healing him.

Some people think the Bible is a directory - and things are either black or white, right or wrong. I don't think that's true!!

Following Biblical teachings is a tremendously challenging thing to do.
It requires me to think, read, consider and pray on a daily basis, in almost every circumstance! It challenges my thinking, my beliefs, my ethics only all the time!

I am prepared to 'pick and choose' as you call it, and justify my actions before God one day ... He will know that I tried to do my best!
And if he wanted me to assassinate everybody working on the Lord's Day, I will explain why I thought that was a bad idea ... :X

(Perhaps I am the only one who thinks so. It would be good to hear the opinion of others ...)

I gotta do some work now ... :D

Peace

Keltoi
06-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Glo's line of reasoning is pretty much the same as mine on this topic. As Glo mentioned, a Jewish member should shed light on the application to modern Judaism.

tomtomsmom
06-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Isn't Exodus in the Old Testament?

Keltoi
06-28-2007, 01:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Isn't Exodus in the Old Testament?
Yes it is.

Umar001
06-28-2007, 01:51 PM
"For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death."

Hi, If I was to convert to christianity, should I pop over PC World on Sunday with a machinegun and carry out the lords word.

Well not all Christians believe that the Old Testament Law is to be followed. Some have nailed it to the Cross.

What I personally find interesting is the ideas here, that, if it seems good to me then I will do it, or that I will pray to see if I should do it, if it is written as a commandment then it should be done, fair enough if there is achoice to do it, but if its a command with no choice and someone prays and gets an answer opposite to what they believe the Word of God is, then surely that answer isn't from God. :-[

I think the Jews do not do this since there is no temple. Laws would be applicable if they had one up and running. At least that's what I understood from the person at askmoses. Apparently Christians might get killed for preaching too.

tomtomsmom
06-28-2007, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Yes it is.
My mother is christian but they (her church) only follows the New testament. She was appalled when I told her some of the things I had read in the OT. But the 10 commandments are in the OT and they follow those. I asked her to explain and she couldn't. Can anyone here?

Keltoi
06-28-2007, 02:05 PM
My mother is christian but they (her church) only follows the New testament. She was appalled when I told her some of the things I had read in the OT. But the 10 commandments are in the OT and they follow those. I asked her to explain and she couldn't. Can anyone here?
Christ restates all of the Ten Commandments except for the Sabbath. Your mother is in the majority as far as Christian thought on the topic. The New Testament and the words and examples of Christ are what Christians are obligated to heed. Most of the OT laws are directed at Jews and laws that applied to their particular society. Ceremonial, sacrificial, etc.

MuhammadRizan
06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
shalom, (i'm not a jew,same meaning right?)
I believe some orthodox Jewish groups are still very strict about the Sabbath laws. Although even in those strict religious circles do I not imagine anybody gets killed for breaking the law.
What?

That does not mean we have to apply them in the same way to modern life.
what?

As mentioned before, to me personally, Jesus' teachings and examples of living (see previous post) demonstrate very clearly that we are not to obey laws blindly, without testing them and being sure that they are of benefit to each given situation ...
what?

I am prepared to 'pick and choose' as you call it, and justify my actions before God one day ... He will know that I tried to do my best!
And if he wanted me to assassinate everybody working on the Lord's Day, I will explain why I thought that was a bad idea ...
this is tooooo much for me, no wonder my thread remain unanswered(the laws of god).

isn't God supposed to be knowing everything good or bad especially what the best for all of us?

you're planning to tell God His Laws is quite not a good idea?

Keltoi
Glo's line of reasoning is pretty much the same as mine on this topic. As Glo mentioned, a Jewish member should shed light on the application to modern Judaism.
and you agreed too?

:enough!: :enough!:

Btw...Barney! don't use Machinegun coz they will feel instant dead,
use stone instead with everybody watching because it's more Barbaric, medieval, senseless, terror, Oppresive, wicked, antichrist, 666 kind of thing.:thumbs_up :skeleton:

glo
06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuhammadRizan
shalom, (i'm not a jew,same meaning right?)

What?

what?

what?

this is tooooo much for me, no wonder my thread remain unanswered(the laws of god).

isn't God supposed to be knowing everything good or bad especially what the best for all of us?

you're planning to tell God His Laws is quite not a good idea?

and you agreed too?

:enough!: :enough!:

Btw...Barney! don't use Machinegun coz they will feel instant dead,
use stone instead with everybody watching because it's more Barbaric, medieval, senseless, terror, Oppresive, wicked, antichrist, 666 kind of thing.:thumbs_up :skeleton:
You seem to have difficulties in relating to my post, MuhammadRizan! :D

Please just accept my post as my personal view and an explanation of my beliefs - there is not need for you to agree or even understand ...

Peace, brother. :)

vpb
06-28-2007, 02:40 PM
:sl:

2:113. The Jews say: "The Christians have naught (to stand) upon; and the Christians say: "The Jews have naught (To stand) upon." Yet they (Profess to) study the (same) Book. Like unto their word is what those say who know not; but Allah will judge between them in their quarrel on the Day of Judgment.

Allah then mentions the claims of the Jews and Christians that their respective religion is the true Religion, saying: (And Jews) the Jews of Medina (say Christians follow nothing) as religion from God and there is no true religion except Judaism, (and Christians) the Christians of Najran (say Jews follow nothing) as religion from God and there is no true religion except Christianity; (though both are readers of the Scripture) both parties read the Book and do not believe in it and further claim things that are not mentioned therein. (Even thus spoke those who know not) knew the Oneness of Allah through their own forefathers; and it is said this means: they knew the Book of Allah from others. (Allah will judge between them) between the Jews and Christians (on the Day of Resurrection concerning that wherein they differ).
Tafsir Ibn Abbas.

rav
06-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Shalom (Peace),

First of all, “work” is classified in the Biblical sense by the types of work used to build the Bais Hamikdah (Holy Temple), therefore things like kindling a fire are considered “work” in this sense yet, walking around five miles to the Shul on a Saturday morning is not work, and you are as a Jew obligated to work instead of kindling a fire (i.e. starting a car).

Now let us get to the fundamentals. I will outline a few things which are essential to know about the Sabbath.

1. Only Jews (children born from Jewish mothers) are required to observe the Sabbath and its laws. Non-Jews are not only, not required to observe the Sabbath, but are actually not permitted to do so, since it is a Jewish privilege.

2. Something that is overlooked when reading the Tanakh (i.e. Hebrew Bible) is when the death penalty is actually permitted to being with. The death penalty whenever required by the Hebrew Bible has a certain set of standards that must be followed before an execution is carried out. These standards are set by the Talmud, a holy book in Judaism which is just as authoritative in matters of Jewish law as the Tanakh. When reading the Hebrew Bible without using the Talmud to interpret and reveal things about the text, you are not only reading it in a way it is not meant to be understood, but you actually may do the exact opposite. The main protection and guardian of Jewish tradition is indeed the Talmud. This is because the “Oral Tradition” which it is called has never been known to foreign peoples and was written down (because of persecution and fear of it being lost) after the basic beliefs of all religions that would not be considered “modern” were already codified, so therefore no religion can claim the Talmud as their own and therefore no religion interprets the Hebrew Bible correctly, nor has any claim of being divinely inspired according to Jewish thought because they reject the Talmud (i.e. Oral Tradition). This requires a more in-depth look, which I will gladly take reveal to you:

A. The death penalty in Jewish law – The death penalty in Jewish law required that (a) two witnesses view the crime while it happened, (b) the witnesses warned the criminal he would be executed while he was committing the crime, (c) the criminal acknowledged he heard the warning and continued doing the act, (d) The Sanhedrin (Jewish court) is in active duty (which today it is not) and finally; (e) that one of the wise men of the Sanhedrin voted that the person is innocent, because a unanimous vote of a mans guilt means he had no protector and therefore no death penalty is given.

B. As you can see, the death penalty was rarely if ever used and Orthodox Judaism believes that a huge number of circumstances must occur for the death penalty to be ordered. Other punishments like possibly jail or exile were probably used a lot more. The bottom line is that today the death penalty cannot be given to anyone breaking Jewish law and the death penalty in Jewish thought is almost never used. Unlike many who assume Judaism according to the Hebrew Bible is a violent culture which kills many, it is completely opposite the case. Only those who read the Hebrew Bible without the Talmud, make this error.

glo
06-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks, rav. That's really interesting!

BTW, I love your signature! :)
Isn't that a lovely way to feel about G-d! Good old David ...

Peace

Umar001
06-28-2007, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rav
(e) that one of the wise men of the Sanhedrin voted that the person is innocent, because a unanimous vote of a mans guilt means he had no protector and therefore no death penalty is given.
So if someone is clearly guilty then there needs to still be someone who votes for his innocence?

rav
06-28-2007, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
So if someone is clearly guilty then there needs to still be someone who votes for his innocence?
You are not voting for his innocence, you are voting on if he should be put to death. This should explain it best: If all 23 judges gave a guilty verdict the accused could not be put to death, since there “cannot be a Jew in whom nobody sees the good.” That does not mean he can walk free. It means he is not executed for his crime.

Conditions for convicting and executing a person were so restrictive that a Beth Din that put to death more than one person in 7 years, and some say in 70 years, was referred to as a “destructive court” (-Talmud, Makkot 7a). Bottom line, is that Judaism is not a death penalty society. It does not mean people are not punished for crimes, it means people were not put to death very often.

Isn't that a lovely way to feel about G-d! Good old David ...
Look deeper into it, do you see a significant metaphor within it?

Umar001
06-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Ok, so if I understand what you mean, according to that law, if all the judges decide to put the person to death, because it is obvious he commited the offence, the person would not be put to death?

rav
06-28-2007, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Ok, so if I understand what you mean, according to that law, if all the judges decide to put the person to death, because it is obvious he commited the offence, the person would not be put to death?
Yes, precisely that. It does not mean he is free to go, or he is “innocent”. He is just not executed for his crime. It may seem odd to you, maybe from your Islamic influences, but it is actually seen as brilliant to me. Everyone must have a defender. Someone who argues on behalf of their case, who is also wise (i.e. a judge). No case is so “obvious” because remember what we are arguing about when convicting someone and putting him to death under Jewish law. We might be arguing over if he properly responded that he knew what he was doing to the two witnesses who warned him while he was in the act of committing the crime. We might be arguing if he heard their warning that he would be subject to the death penalty. We might argue over many little nitty-gritty details. Nothing was so “obvious” in the case of the details needed to execute someone. If a court was so fast as to sentence someone to death with no debate, or no protector for the accused, than the death penalty was being used to hastily. Remember, more than one man executed in 7 years was considered a “destructive court”.

tomtomsmom
06-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Forgive me for being ignorant but is the OT the holy book for the jewish religion or is it another one?

barney
06-28-2007, 09:28 PM
So in a Nutshell.

Christians CAN pick and choose which bits of Gods word they follow, only the commandments seem to really matter, all the rest of the work can be filtered out to ignore things. Although God has clearly stated it is his word, mankind has advanced beyond the primitive people & prophets who beleived they were in touch with God said he commanded, and the nonsensical instructions dont apply anymore.

However, If jewish law was to be correctly implemented, then two people in Tel Aviv telling the Kwik-E-Mart owner to shut down his shop or die, would be justified in killing him. A Christian can work from dawn till dusk, cos the OT dosnt apply to them.

An easy way out for christians here, remove your OT, it's not applicable (and frankly so full of hard to wriggle out of stuff as to be a embarrassment).
The problem then is of course that Jesus endorsed the OT, and the beleif is that the OT endorses and in fact is the whole basis for Jesus. (unless he was actually just a nice ghandi type bloke, a political actavist, and after his death everyone got a bit carried away as they tended to do in those days. ("Hey! This guy did miracles! My best freinds aunt heard that he did!")

To me, you either accept the Bible at face value and all of it, the stoning, the beating, the murder, the genocide, the plagues, the misogeny, the intolerance, the jelousy, the animal sacrifices, the human sacrifices all of that good old 3000 year old,mankind-diddnt-know-better stuff as Gods words, actions and teachings.

Or you sack the whole thing and start again. theres far far too much in there to try and apologise for in todays world, where we have rational brains and superstition is a quaint joke.
I chose Exodus, i could have opened the page at any chaper and found the same things.

Nowadays most Christians ride a two track path. They have a personal relationship with a loving and merciful God,(but non-acceptance still leads to merciful pits of fiery hell), made flesh in Jesus Christ and accept Jesus-God as a wrathful, city massacering, entity that seemed to not just change his mind but have massive mood swings.
Meh...pick the bones outta that!

Umar001
06-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Yes, precisely that. It does not mean he is free to go, or he is “innocent”. He is just not executed for his crime. It may seem odd to you, maybe from your Islamic influences, but it is actually seen as brilliant to me. Everyone must have a defender. Someone who argues on behalf of their case, who is also wise (i.e. a judge). No case is so “obvious” because remember what we are arguing about when convicting someone and putting him to death under Jewish law. We might be arguing over if he properly responded that he knew what he was doing to the two witnesses who warned him while he was in the act of committing the crime. We might be arguing if he heard their warning that he would be subject to the death penalty. We might argue over many little nitty-gritty details. Nothing was so “obvious” in the case of the details needed to execute someone. If a court was so fast as to sentence someone to death with no debate, or no protector for the accused, than the death penalty was being used to hastily. Remember, more than one man executed in 7 years was considered a “destructive court”.
It's one thing to debate and have a trail and so forth which ofcourse is neccesary I belive that as a Muslim and even before I believed in Islam, but if there's an open killer, massacres loads of people infront of everyone, his crime is so obvious that no judge would plead for the guy's innocence, this guy aint gonna be killed because noone said 'Maybe he was innocent'.

What would have happend to Hitler?

I don't think you are totally right though barney, I mean, to a Christian the Holy Spirit is their teacher, so in reality there is no way to discuss since the Holy Spirit might be teaching them how to understand their scripture.

Keltoi
06-28-2007, 09:45 PM
So in a Nutshell.

Christians CAN pick and choose which bits of Gods word they follow, only the commandments seem to really matter, all the rest of the work can be filtered out to ignore things. Although God has clearly stated it is his word, mankind has advanced beyond the primitive people & prophets who beleived they were in touch with God said he commanded, and the nonsensical instructions dont apply anymore.

However, If jewish law was to be correctly implemented, then two people in Tel Aviv telling the Kwik-E-Mart owner to shut down his shop or die, would be justified in killing him. A Christian can work from dawn till dusk, cos the OT dosnt apply to them.

An easy way out for christians here, remove your OT, it's not applicable (and frankly so full of hard to wriggle out of stuff as to be a embarrassment).
The problem then is of course that Jesus endorsed the OT, and the beleif is that the OT endorses and in fact is the whole basis for Jesus. (unless he was actually just a nice ghandi type bloke, a political actavist, and after his death everyone got a bit carried away as they tended to do in those days. ("Hey! This guy did miracles! My best freinds aunt heard that he did!")

To me, you either accept the Bible at face value and all of it, the stoning, the beating, the murder, the genocide, the plagues, the misogeny, the intolerance, the jelousy, the animal sacrifices, the human sacrifices all of that good old 3000 year old,mankind-diddnt-know-better stuff as Gods words, actions and teachings.

Or you sack the whole thing and start again. theres far far too much in there to try and apologise for in todays world, where we have rational brains and superstition is a quaint joke.
I chose Exodus, i could have opened the page at any chaper and found the same things.

Nowadays most Christians ride a two track path. They have a personal relationship with a loving and merciful God,(but non-acceptance still leads to merciful pits of fiery hell), made flesh in Jesus Christ and accept Jesus-God as a wrathful, city massacering, entity that seemed to not just change his mind but have massive mood swings.
Meh...pick the bones outta that!
The OT is important to Christians in the context of the NT. Christians aren't "picking and choosing" which of God's laws to follow, they are following the Law and Word of Christ. I would agree that there seems to be a major difference between the God of the OT and the God of the NT, at least in the realm of law and punishment. Most of these issues relate to God's relationship with the Jewish people, so perhaps a Jewish member might shed light on your points about God's wrath.

Yanal
06-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Asalam alkum barney i have a question what is Exodus 31:15 mean and also when do we work for 6days and one day we don't ?

barney
06-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I would agree that there seems to be a major difference between the God of the OT and the God of the NT, at least in the realm of law and punishment. .
Same God, do you reckon? Or Christianity Piggybacking the Jewish God.
If theres one thing upcoming religions have learned, If youve no history to back it up, your religion is doomed.
the Idea that "It's the same God you guys worship! You arnt losing your faith...your seeing the light!" is a slippier sell than "I've a great new God here! Scrap the old un....Here's what you have to do!"

Keltoi
06-29-2007, 01:45 AM
Same God, do you reckon? Or Christianity Piggybacking the Jewish God.
If theres one thing upcoming religions have learned, If youve no history to back it up, your religion is doomed.
the Idea that "It's the same God you guys worship! You arnt losing your faith...your seeing the light!" is a slippier sell than "I've a great new God here! Scrap the old un....Here's what you have to do!"
Well, the early Christians were Jews and were basing their faith off OT prophecy and the divinity of Christ. Granted, they were considered "heretical" by the rest of the Jewish population, but I don't think they would consider themselves to be worshipping a different God than the God of the Jews. I don't either. I understand your perspective as an agnostic, but your reasoning isn't going to be the same as mine, obviously.

barney
06-29-2007, 01:47 AM
Well, the early Christians were Jews and were basing their faith off OT prophecy and the divinity of Christ. Granted, they were considered "heretical" by the rest of the Jewish population, but I don't think they would consider themselves to be worshipping a different God than the God of the Jews. I don't either. I understand your perspective as an agnostic, but your reasoning isn't going to be the same as mine, obviously.

Hey no worries! :D

rav
06-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Are you serious? Did you even read my post?

According to Jewish law they are not justified in killing them, because they must be taken to court during a time when an active Sanhedrin is running (which it is not). Another Sanhedrin will not appear until the Messiah comes, when the whole world will be enlightened, so your moral objections will be non-existent as well. Did you forget the part about the Sanhedrin that executed more than one person in seven years was called “destructive”? Much more humane than your secular American thought of executing hundreds upon hundreds (some of whom are innocent).

Human sacrifices?!? I really began laughing when I read that. You should possibly read the Hebrew Bible, along with the Talmud before you reveal such ignorance. Yes something’s that seem unattractive to the secular humanist are in the Tanakh, but your void of understanding about many of the topics. A perfect example would be equating “slavery” in the Hebrew Bible is not like the non-Jewish worlds capture of blacks and enslaving them. A slave would be freed after seven years and a ruler of a household would have to feed his “slave” before himself etc. They are of course no longer in practice nor is it “commanded” it was merely tolerated at that time and regulations were set, many which reformed them.

Until you read the Hebrew Bible along with texts like the Midrash and Talmud your observations about one of the texts are really not in the scope of Jewish law or thought.

barney
06-29-2007, 03:21 AM
Yeah, so Correct Jewish law isnt running at the moment, I said that. OK i was being a bit flippant, the guy would be warned , taken to court, tried and found guilty.(yup...he worked on sunday).....then killed.

Human Sacrifice. Issac.
God wanted Abraham to Sacrifice his son. He changed his mind at the last second, he was checking Abrahams faith..In some weird twisted way....but the idea that he demanded human sacrifice was acceptable to Abraham. Anyway, the Goat got slaughetred instead, because if you slit up a animal and spalsh its blood about and paint blood all over the shop, then for some reason...this totally non-pagan god is really chuffed with that.He was plaesed with the aroma apparently.

If its good enough for the Aztecs and their various sacrifical loving deiteys, its good enough for Judism.

Basically, if you can show me that God diddnt intend sacrifice to be part of his holy word, i'd be surprised. it would need the original texts to say "Take Your son up to the top of the mountain and chill out for a bit, throw some shapes and feed the goats...whatever you do...DONT tie him to a alter and prepare to stab him, then slash up the nearest hoofed thing you see"

rav
06-29-2007, 03:27 AM
Human Sacrifice. Issac.
God wanted Abraham to Sacrifice his son. He changed his mind at the last second, he was checking Abrahams faith
Nope. Have you ever read the Hebrew text?

22:1 And it came to pass after these things, that G-d tested Abraham, and He said to him, "Abraham," and he said, "Here I am."
22:2 And He said, "Please take your son, your only one, whom you love, yea, Isaac, and go away to the land of Moriah and bring him up there for a burnt offering on one of the mountains, of which I will tell you."

The Hebrew text literally says "tested" and every Jewish text concludes that the sacrifice would never have happend. But I will give you one better. Find me where G-d asked Avraham to sacrifice Isaac! He did not say to him, “Slaughter him,” because the Holy One, blessed be He, did not wish him to slaughter him but to bring him up to the mountain, to prepare him for a burnt offering, and as soon as he brought him up [to the mountain], He said to him, “Take him down.” - [from Gen. Rabbah 56:8]

Find me where G-d says "sacrifice" Isaac...

Yeah, so Correct Jewish law isnt running at the moment,
Correct Jewish law, is the Halacha (Jewish law) that is being followed at the time. Since at this time their can be no Sanhedrin, the correct Jewish law is being followed and executing anyone, or even any trial to find someone guilty (which in the time of death penalty would be looked down upon if over one man was killed in seven years) would be against Jewish law.

barney
06-29-2007, 03:47 AM
OK, Thanks for that, so Jewish law actually is different from what God commanded in Exodus. I.E the killing of sunday workers.(he dosnt mention anything in exodus about warnings to stop or anything, just that they should be killed.

Nice to know the Guys down at Wal-Mart are safe! (at the moment..Dun! Dun! Dun! (dramatic music))

As to the Sacrifices, thats fine, Abe wasnt told to stab him, just to burn him to death. I'm sure Issac was reassured. :)

Let me just say, I know Jews to be reasonable people who dont go about slaughtering their kids on alters and mowing down sunday morning postmen. my point is that thank the creating force that you guys got over the scripture a few thousand years ago and decided to go against it.

Animal sacrifices are still ethically abhorant to me, and I cant see why God wants 'em. The idea of a God who ordered (even as a.... Test....) the burning of a Kid, is also abhorant.

Wacky stuff indeed.

Regards

rav
06-29-2007, 04:05 AM
Other than not getting the point, distorting major points, misunderstanding the philosophical position of the changing nature of halacha and not being able to differentiate between the fact that Jewish believe the Sabbath is on Saturday, not Sunday, your post was fine.

north_malaysian
06-29-2007, 04:12 AM
Other than not getting the point, distorting major points, misunderstanding the philosophical position of the changing nature of halacha and not being able to differentiate between the fact that Jewish believe the Sabbath is on Saturday, not Sunday, your post was fine.
What do the observant Jews think about the Jews that dont observe Sabbath?

barney
06-29-2007, 04:15 AM
ROFL! Cheers! (My O.P was directed at Christians BTW)

It's however true that Philosophical positions in religion carry no weight in comparison to Gods Instructions.
God instructed us to Kill sabbath workers, Those that shave their beards, Stone unbeleivers to death etc etc....and the Christians and Jews just wont obay his commands! They debate around it and interprete it as is their want. But surely when God says "jump" he means jump, not do the hokey cokey & spin around.
He must be sat there thinking "Sheesh! I give a simple instruction and they utterly ignore it!"

Anyway, keep up the moderate stuff, it's all good. :)

glo
06-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Now let us get to the fundamentals. I will outline a few things which are essential to know about the Sabbath.
Rav,

The background information to the Sabbath laws is really interesting.
Can you tell me how the Sabbath laws are actually implemented by modern-day Jews?
What would be classed as 'working on the Sabbath'? Is it allowed to carry out certain work within your own home?
How do you personally apply the Sabbath laws?

Do orthodox Jews take a stricter view than non-orthodox Jews?

I love to know how other people live, what they believe and how they put their faith into practice. Unfortunately I find that posters are reluctant to share their own thoughts and beliefs for fear of being shouted down or ridiculed by other posters ... :X
I hope people will just listen to your views, without value judgement!

Oh, what we could learn from each other, if we only shut up and listened! :D

Peace :)

tomtomsmom
06-29-2007, 01:30 PM
I must say, I am disappointed. I asked a very simple question that got overlooked so members could start bickering. I should have known better......

Umar001
06-29-2007, 01:50 PM

It's however true that Philosophical positions in religion carry no weight in comparison to Gods Instructions.
God instructed us to Kill sabbath workers, Those that shave their beards, Stone unbeleivers to death etc etc....and the Christians and Jews just wont obay his commands! They debate around it and interprete it as is their want. But surely when God says "jump" he means jump, not do the hokey cokey & spin around.
He must be sat there thinking "Sheesh! I give a simple instruction and they utterly ignore it!"
But according to some they are following the comandment, it depends on whether you believe the Oral Tradition which explains the rulings in the Law to be accurate and reliable. For the Jew it might be that he does not read the Torah without reading the explanations and the background which goes hand in hand, and for a Christian it might be that he might not read black and white as you since he believes that understanding of the scripture comes through prayer. We would have to look at how justified are such methods from the realms of scripture, i.e. do they have origins in scripture, like a Christian being guided by the Holy Spirit, if so how much should he be, and so forth. That's should be the discussion.

I must say, I am disappointed. I asked a very simple question that got overlooked so members could start bickering. I should have known better......
The Old Testament, contains Holy Books for Jews, The Books of Moses are the Law and theere are also books of the Prophets of Israel. Alongside with this some have the Oral Tradition which is claimed to go back to Moses.

On a different note, I still am wondering what would happen to a blatant killer like Hitler, who would deny his guilt, noone in my eyes. I find that so alien, really something to ponder over for me.

rav
06-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Shalom to all,

We feel they are breaking Jewish law, the same as if you see a Muslim eating pork. We have no power to do anything, because they have free will. Currently in a spiritual state of exile (golus) which the Jewish people are in, they have the right to do what they please, however, there are consequences later I suppose and they are giving up rich spiritually fulfilling lives, for materialistic lives.

On the contrary they do carry weight. You view the Hebrew Bible through the Christian point of view that it is the only word of G-d. Jews view it much differently. The Talmud is just as much the word of G-d in our opinions, when it comes to carrying out Jewish law. It may not be the exact word of G-d, but it is inspired by Rabbi’s who have passed down the Oral Tradition. In no way do you sound like a legit interpreter of Jewish law, so I am not sure what you’re thinking when speaking for G-d.

Rav,

Can you tell me how the Sabbath laws are actually implemented by modern-day Jews?
What would be classed as 'working on the Sabbath'? Is it allowed to carry out certain work within your own home?

I love to know how other people live, what they believe and how they put their faith into practice. Unfortunately I find that posters are reluctant to share their own thoughts and beliefs for fear of being shouted down or ridiculed by other posters ...
Well first off glo, Orthodox Jews really take the only view on the Sabbath. The other “Jewish” movements do not really view it as legally binding, along with other laws, so Orthodox Judaism does not really recognize them as “Jewish” movements. Yes, theyr’e adherents are Jews, but their marriage, conversion and practices the majority of the time are not in accordance with halacha (Jewish law).

Here is a basic outline of things prohibited on the Sabbath (from askmoses):

A. The Torah says, "Do not perform melachah on Shabbat." Melachah means work. But what's "work?" The melachot, plural for labors in Hebrew, are the 39 categories of action that the Torah interprets as work that may not be performed on Shabbat.

B. When the Torah was given, our ancestors were a large pack of nomadic desert denizens--the original Wandering Jews. It was less than two months after the Exodus when Moses--that's me--came down Mt. Sinai with the Torah, containing the charge to keep Shabbat. "Don't work on Shabbat!" charged the Torah. "But we don't work anyway," rejoined the Jews. "This is the desert, remember? Nobody has a job here!" At that point, Moses stepped in and pointed out that work was done: the multifaceted efforts made to construct the Mishkan--the portable, collapsible Temple that moved with the camp from place to place. He explained that work associated with Mishkan-making was what the Torah meant by "work," and that these things should not be done on Shabbat from then till eternity. And so it remained.

C. Each of the 39 melachot break down into subcategories called tuldot (pronounced TOOL-dote), which means offspring. Because of their "children," the 39 melachot are also referred to as av melachot, meaning father categories.

OK, but what are they?

1. Don't eat your Wheaties�

The first 11 of the 39 concern that indispensable staple of life--bread, since bread was baked on a weekly basis in the Mishkan. Since the bread tree has yet to be genetically engineered, various things must be done to bring forth bread from dirt: planting wheat, plowing the field, reaping grown wheat stalks, binding sheaves of wheat, threshing, winnowing, sifting kernels, grinding, sifting flour, kneading dough, and finally, baking. Any and all of the above are Shabbat no-nos. But since most of us are not farmers, it's unlikely that you'll find yourself doing any of these over the weekend. However, there are many tuldot that originate in these 11 prohibitions.

2. Man makes the clothes...

In the Miskhan, richly colored, ornately decorated and intricately woven materials were the fabric of daily life: the priests' uniforms, the exquisite cloth partitions, and the giant leather and cloth sheets that served as a multi-layer roof. Preparing these textiles involved the next 13 melachot: shearing, bleaching, combing and dyeing wool; spinning and weaving thread/yarn, making two loops (as an anchor on which to base material); sewing two threads together, separating two threads, tying a knot, loosening a knot, sewing two stitches (to attach sections of material), and tearing (other threads or material) in order to sew two stitches. Though stupendous be thy sartorial skills, sorry, they'll have to sit Shabbat out.

3. ...and the leather too

Our textual tour through the creation of the Mishkan takes us to the Desert Leather Factory, where the Jews of old created portions of the Mishkan's roof out of animal hides. Making leather and parchment entails seven steps, which make up Melachot Nos. 25-31: trapping deer, slaughtering it; and flaying, salting, curing, scraping and cutting its hides. Today, this translates into no weekend deer or duck huntin' out in them thar backwoods, and no leatherworking, on the Day of Rest.

4. Work? Out

The remaining eight Melachot comprise the bulk manual labors that manual labor is comprised of--when you're a working person, you can't avoid the following, and neither could the Mishkan-makers: writing two letters, erasing (old text) in order to write two letters, extinguishing a flame, igniting a flame, striking with a hammer, and carrying (an object) from one domain to another. Today, you can't avoid these either; the tuldot originating from these eight have been interpreted by Halachic authorities to prohibit much of work as we know it. Among the most prominent tuldot issuing from this block of melachot are the prohibitions of using a writing instrument (source: "writing two letters"), driving (source: "igniting a flame," as in your car's combustion engine), and carrying your briefcase out your front door and down the street (source: "carrying from one domain to another").

http://www.askmoses.com/article.html?h=208&o=122

rav
06-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Shalom to all,

We feel they are breaking Jewish law, the same as if you see a Muslim eating pork. We have no power to do anything, because they have free will. Currently in a spiritual state of exile (golus) which the Jewish people are in, they have the right to do what they please, however, there are consequences later I suppose and they are giving up rich spiritually fulfilling lives, for materialistic lives.

On the contrary they do carry weight. You view the Hebrew Bible through the Christian point of view that it is the only word of G-d. Jews view it much differently. The Talmud is just as much the word of G-d in our opinions, when it comes to carrying out Jewish law. It may not be the exact word of G-d, but it is inspired by Rabbi’s who have passed down the Oral Tradition. In no way do you sound like a legit interpreter of Jewish law, so I am not sure what you’re thinking when speaking for G-d.

Rav,

I love to know how other people live, what they believe and how they put their faith into practice. Unfortunately I find that posters are reluctant to share their own thoughts and beliefs for fear of being shouted down or ridiculed by other posters ...
Well first off glo, Orthodox Jews really take the only view on the Sabbath. The other “Jewish” movements do not really view it as legally binding, along with other laws, so Orthodox Judaism does not really recognize them as “Jewish” movements. Yes, theyr’e adherents are Jews, but their marriage, conversion and practices the majority of the time are not in accordance with halacha (Jewish law).

Here is a basic outline of things prohibited on the Sabbath (from askmoses):

A. The Torah says, "Do not perform melachah on Shabbat." Melachah means work. But what's "work?" The melachot, plural for labors in Hebrew, are the 39 categories of action that the Torah interprets as work that may not be performed on Shabbat.

B. When the Torah was given, our ancestors were a large pack of nomadic desert denizens--the original Wandering Jews. It was less than two months after the Exodus when Moses--that's me--came down Mt. Sinai with the Torah, containing the charge to keep Shabbat. "Don't work on Shabbat!" charged the Torah. "But we don't work anyway," rejoined the Jews. "This is the desert, remember? Nobody has a job here!" At that point, Moses stepped in and pointed out that work was done: the multifaceted efforts made to construct the Mishkan--the portable, collapsible Temple that moved with the camp from place to place. He explained that work associated with Mishkan-making was what the Torah meant by "work," and that these things should not be done on Shabbat from then till eternity. And so it remained.

C. Each of the 39 melachot break down into subcategories called tuldot (pronounced TOOL-dote), which means offspring. Because of their "children," the 39 melachot are also referred to as av melachot, meaning father categories.

OK, but what are they?

1. Don't eat your Wheaties�

The first 11 of the 39 concern that indispensable staple of life--bread, since bread was baked on a weekly basis in the Mishkan. Since the bread tree has yet to be genetically engineered, various things must be done to bring forth bread from dirt: planting wheat, plowing the field, reaping grown wheat stalks, binding sheaves of wheat, threshing, winnowing, sifting kernels, grinding, sifting flour, kneading dough, and finally, baking. Any and all of the above are Shabbat no-nos. But since most of us are not farmers, it's unlikely that you'll find yourself doing any of these over the weekend. However, there are many tuldot that originate in these 11 prohibitions.

2. Man makes the clothes...

In the Miskhan, richly colored, ornately decorated and intricately woven materials were the fabric of daily life: the priests' uniforms, the exquisite cloth partitions, and the giant leather and cloth sheets that served as a multi-layer roof. Preparing these textiles involved the next 13 melachot: shearing, bleaching, combing and dyeing wool; spinning and weaving thread/yarn, making two loops (as an anchor on which to base material); sewing two threads together, separating two threads, tying a knot, loosening a knot, sewing two stitches (to attach sections of material), and tearing (other threads or material) in order to sew two stitches. Though stupendous be thy sartorial skills, sorry, they'll have to sit Shabbat out.

3. ...and the leather too

Our textual tour through the creation of the Mishkan takes us to the Desert Leather Factory, where the Jews of old created portions of the Mishkan's roof out of animal hides. Making leather and parchment entails seven steps, which make up Melachot Nos. 25-31: trapping deer, slaughtering it; and flaying, salting, curing, scraping and cutting its hides. Today, this translates into no weekend deer or duck huntin' out in them thar backwoods, and no leatherworking, on the Day of Rest.

4. Work? Out

The remaining eight Melachot comprise the bulk manual labors that manual labor is comprised of--when you're a working person, you can't avoid the following, and neither could the Mishkan-makers: writing two letters, erasing (old text) in order to write two letters, extinguishing a flame, igniting a flame, striking with a hammer, and carrying (an object) from one domain to another. Today, you can't avoid these either; the tuldot originating from these eight have been interpreted by Halachic authorities to prohibit much of work as we know it. Among the most prominent tuldot issuing from this block of melachot are the prohibitions of using a writing instrument (source: "writing two letters"), driving (source: "igniting a flame," as in your car's combustion engine), and carrying your briefcase out your front door and down the street (source: "carrying from one domain to another").

http://www.askmoses.com/article.html?h=208&o=122

glo
06-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Rav

Thank you for the article.
There are a few things I would like to ask for clarification:

Would it be forbidden to do some knitting or gardening on the Sabbath?
Is there a difference whether an activity is intended for 'work' or 'relaxation/pastime'?
What about caring for lifestock or sick people, who need daily care?

Are you an Orthodox Jew?
Can you tell me how you spend a typical Sabbath?

(I'm being nosey. Please ignore me, if my questions are getting too personal ... :rollseyes )

Peace

Balthasar21
06-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Edit: Brother, I know it was meant as a harmless joke, but don't make jokes about God inshaAllah.

rav
06-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Shalom,

Would it be forbidden to do some knitting or gardening on the Sabbath?
Is there a difference whether an activity is intended for 'work' or 'relaxation/pastime'?
What about caring for lifestock or sick people, who need daily care?
Yes, knitting is forbidden on Shabbat. The intention of the work is in reality entirely irrelevant. It is a matter of if the activity was in violation of the 39 forbidden activities. What is so difficult about the translation “work” is that it is not entirely an accurate translation, in that it may seem like more “work” to walk 3 miles to the Synagogue instead of driving their, yet driving on Shabbat is forbidden.

The laws of Shabbat do not apply when someone life is in danger. Not only can you break Shabbat to same a life, you must break Shabbat to save a life. If one does not, you are violating Jewish law.

Caring for livestock is perhaps much more intricate. Something that can be done, is you can pay a non-Jew before the Sabbath to take care of the livestock, as long as the transaction occurs before Shabbat starts. A perfect example, is that since you can make arrangements for non-Jews to work for you, as long as the payment took place before the Sabbath, you can also set a time, for your lights to go off at for example 10 O’clock.

The Sabbath is actually the perfect example of the afterlife. In this world we have free will, in that we can do what we want, and we reap what we sow in the afterlife, as in all the free will we utilized is what we enjoy or regret in the afterlife (of course reincarnation, different from the eastern belief of such can occur though). So you can do all the cooking before the Sabbath and then during the Sabbath you enjoy what you cooked in the same way that you enjoy the free will you utilized in this world in the afterlife.

Are you an Orthodox Jew?
I suppose by the definition. However, the term “Orthodox Jew” was created by the so called “intellectuals” of Germany who created “Reform Judaism” which basically says that you can pick and choose all the laws you follow, and rejects the notion that anything is divinely inspired. This is often referred to as “the great rebellion” and therefore, many “Orthodox Jews” say the Holocaust occurred in Germany because of this rebellion which began in Germany and spread all over Europe, but that is off topic and is a very complicated belief held by some Orthodox Jews that I could try to explain more in the “Q/A Judaism” thread if you wish to inquire more about it.

Yes though, I am an Orthodox Jew, but Orthodox Jews do not recognize the notion that there are other ‘types’ of Judaism, so I would label myself a Jew who practices Judaism and others are Jews are practicing religions like ‘reformism’.

Can you tell me how you spend a typical Sabbath?
It will usually begin with Friday night prayers called “Kabbalat Shabbat” which begin at sundown. During the prayers joy will takeover as people will dance afterwards around the center area where the Torah is read to the congregation the next morning. Songs, dances, etc, follow the prayers. Then each family will walk back to their home and have a Shabbat dinner with their family where the family will sing songs together and have a nice mean together, which in our day in age rarely will happen on regular weeknights. Usually it is good to have guests at your Shabbat table. Then we will get a good night sleep, or perhaps play a board game like chess/checkers.

You get up the next day and at around 9:00 we begin walking back to the Shul which is around 15 minutes away (walking). Prayers begin from about 9:30 to 11:30 and than the Torah is taken out and is read from the scroll. People will take out Torah books with the text in it, because if one word is mispronounced you’re obligated to correct the person in the middle of the reading. The reading always is always read in a melodious manner. Than after the Torah reading another small prayer service is held and than something called a “Kiddush” which the whole Shul attends is held, in which we all eat and discuss different things.

Than we head back home around 2 O’clock. Usually the kids will go with a friends family and play board games, or they will come back with us. I like to catch up on reading, or take a nice Shabbat nap.

At about 6 O’clock a Talmud class is given and then the afternoon prayer service is held, and the Torah is taken out once more. The sun goes down, a nice meal is eaten and songs are recited. Then Shabbat ends and you can go home in your car which was parked in the synagogue after the 10 minute evening service.

It in reality is a “rest” from the troubles of the world.

glo
06-29-2007, 08:07 PM
However, the term “Orthodox Jew” was created by the so called “intellectuals” of Germany who created “Reform Judaism” which basically says that you can pick and choose all the laws you follow, and rejects the notion that anything is divinely inspired. This is often referred to as “the great rebellion” and therefore, many “Orthodox Jews” say the Holocaust occurred in Germany because of this rebellion which began in Germany and spread all over Europe, but that is off topic and is a very complicated belief held by some Orthodox Jews that I could try to explain more in the “Q/A Judaism” thread if you wish to inquire more about it.
Wow! I didn't know that ...

It will usually begin with Friday night prayers called “Kabbalat Shabbat” which begin at sundown. During the prayers joy will takeover as people will dance afterwards around the center area where the Torah is read to the congregation the next morning. Songs, dances, etc, follow the prayers. Then each family will walk back to their home and have a Shabbat dinner with their family where the family will sing songs together and have a nice mean together, which in our day in age rarely will happen on regular weeknights. Usually it is good to have guests at your Shabbat table. Then we will get a good night sleep, or perhaps play a board game like chess/checkers.

You get up the next day and at around 9:00 we begin walking back to the Shul which is around 15 minutes away (walking). Prayers begin from about 9:30 to 11:30 and than the Torah is taken out and is read from the scroll. People will take out Torah books with the text in it, because if one word is mispronounced you’re obligated to correct the person in the middle of the reading. The reading always is always read in a melodious manner. Than after the Torah reading another small prayer service is held and than something called a “Kiddush” which the whole Shul attends is held, in which we all eat and discuss different things.

Than we head back home around 2 O’clock. Usually the kids will go with a friends family and play board games, or they will come back with us. I like to catch up on reading, or take a nice Shabbat nap.

At about 6 O’clock a Talmud class is given and then the afternoon prayer service is held, and the Torah is taken out once more. The sun goes down, a nice meal is eaten and songs are recited. Then Shabbat ends and you can go home in your car which was parked in the synagogue after the 10 minute evening service.

It in reality is a “rest” from the troubles of the world.
Thank you for sharing. Your Shabbat celebrations (I don't know if you call it that, but the words seems appropriate. :)) sound lovely!

Peace

Joe98
07-01-2007, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuhammadRizan

Muslims know the Bible has been corrupted. And therefore where the Bible prescribes a barbaric punishment we know that punishment could never come from a loving God.

Yes the Bible is corrupted.

rav
07-01-2007, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
Muslims know the Bible has been corrupted. And therefore where the Bible prescribes a barbaric punishment we know that punishment could never come from a loving God.

Yes the Bible is corrupted.
Who ever said G-d is "loving"? Judaism does not teach that G-d has any type of emotions. We may view G-d's actions in different lights but G-d does not "love", I would say. However, let me ask you this; can a mother love her son but at the same time punish him? Of course to any believer, death in this world, is by no means the worst thing to happen, although it is bad.

doorster
07-02-2007, 12:09 AM
edit

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.