/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How is a mosque service like?

thirdwatch512
06-28-2007, 08:51 PM
hey you guys,

now when Jews go to Synagogue, they read torah, they usually have a meal I think afterwrod, and they talk about living a good life, morals, etc.

at Church where I go, we read from the Bible, the Priest speaks to us explaining the verses (sort of like tafsir lol) and we do a lot of prayer.

But I have not seen a mosque service. so am wondering.. how does it go? Like do they just pray, then leave, is quran recited and discussed, or how is it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-29-2007, 10:17 AM
It is a little different in a Mosque. The Obligatory Jummah on Friday is fairly short. The Imam gives a short sermon immediatly before the prayers. This usually is about local and affairs and how they affect living as a Muslim in the area. Often here there is often a short talk condemning terrorism and some explanation on how to truly help our Brothers and sisters. Than at the prayer time the Imam leads the prayers and after a member may give a talk about local Islamic events or local assistance needed. Then most go back to work. Jummah is often short as many people have to return to their jobs.

There are various other events during the week, at times other than prayer times, such as Arabic lessons, Qur'an readings, etc. During the prayer times
during the week it is mostly just the prescribed prayers. Any socializing after prayers will often be at a Brothers house.

thirdwatch512
07-02-2007, 12:20 AM
thanks for the response!

so how long is a mosque service usually?

vorx
07-03-2007, 12:12 AM
I've been to Mosques in Morocco and in the United States.

They also introduce the charity box lol if thats what you wanna know.

If you go in a regular day besides Friday special prayer, you just go in and pray with people. You do your thing, and it is a good place to find people who are devoted to being better Muslims.

Friday prayer is different where the "priest" a.k.a. Imam in Arabic, gives a lecture read some Qur'an and discuss matters that involves Muslims in the community.

In Ramadan, which is the holy month of Muslims because we fast during sunrise to sunset for the whole period. It is a month of worship and people go to the Mosque after their first meal of the day at sunset, then pray a little bit more than usually.

We have Catholic schools but only the Muslim way. Some parents choose to send their kids to study Qur'an at young age with the Imam in the Mosque.

Thats about it

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
07-04-2007, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
thanks for the response!

so how long is a mosque service usually?
To those who are accustomed to Christianity it would seem the "Service" is unbelievable short. However our life is a constant worship. We view the entire world as being a Mosque and each thing we do as worship. So you can say that our brief visits to a Mosque are essentially just a change in location of what we do throughout the day.

Here in Austin the length of Jummah will vary at different Mosques. But it is almost always less that an hour as most people are there on their lunch break from work. The actual time length for the Jummah prayers is from 5 to 15 minutes depending on what passages of the Qur'an the Imam chooses to recite.

Andrew
07-06-2007, 11:10 AM
What time is the friday service held and what happens if this clashes with somebody who is at work at that time?

Also what do you think people's reactions would be if someone who was not sure what they believed in came along?

Woodrow
07-06-2007, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Andrew
What time is the friday service held and what happens if this clashes with somebody who is at work at that time?

Also what do you think people's reactions would be if someone who was not sure what they believed in came along?
The times for the prayers do vary throughout the year. So many times there will be a conflict between prayer and work.

I have never seen any problems with non-believers coming into the Mosque. although to be honest they would find it difficult to understand what is going on as the prayers are in Arabic. the Mosques I attend do provide chairs and benches for visitors and the disabled. The interior of a Mosque is very sparse there are no pews or furniture. remember we say our prayers on a prayer rug. The prayer rug has no religious significance, It is simply a clean surface for us to pray on. In fact here in Austin the Mosques are so filled for Friday Jummah that there are always several Hundred of us that pray outside the Mosque on the lawn. At a Mosque men and women are seperated. There is a mens area and a women's area.

For the most part prayers are silent and all that is audible would be the Imam's recitation of the Qur'an.

Here is a brief introduction to Islamic prayer, essentially this is what is happening both inside and outside. This little animation is what Friday Juammah looks like:

http://media.putfile.com/Learn-to-pr...az---Animation

This next animation gives an explanation as to what we are doing and saying.

http://media.putfile.com/How-to-pray-for-beginers-video

That is what goes on in a Mosque

Andrew
07-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Thank you for the information and the good links.

Muslim Woman
07-06-2007, 04:04 PM
With the name of ALLAH (God Almigthy) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

%%%%%

format_quote Originally Posted by thirdwatch512

I have not seen a mosque service. so am wondering.. how does it go?
why not visit a mosque ? :p

Visit a mosque

We'll do our best to arrange a visit for you.

877-WHY-ISLAM has a nationwide team of volunteers, who host non-Muslims at their local Mosques.

If you're interested, we'll find a mosque close to your residence, then we'll schedule a good time and date for you to come by.

You can visit the mosque, view one of 5 daily prayer services, attend one of their interfaith events, or just converse with the many members of a mosque. If you have any questions, you can also discuss them with the mosque members.

If you wish to visit a mosque in your area, fill out the form and one of our mosque-guide volunteers will get back to you within 24 hours.

"...Thus , if this is the case with the acts of worship, it is no wonder that mosques carry a great social and spiritual place in the lives of the Muslims. The mosque is the thing which unites them and their efforts. It refines their souls and awakens their minds and hearts. It solves their problems. The mosque shows their strength and cohesiveness." - Dr. Mustafa as-Siba'i

Other ways to interact...
One to One Email Discussion

Start up an email discussion with 877-WHY-ISLAM Associate

Toll Free Line. Dial 877-WHY-ISLAM

http://www.whyislam.org/877/Services/MosqueVisit.asp

verses for this life & the life hereafter :

For, [when] God judges, there is no power that could repel His judgment: and swift in reckoning is He!

-Quran (13:41)

Say: "Truly, my prayer and my rituals, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds

Al-An`am 6:162

thirdwatch512
07-07-2007, 05:32 AM
thank you woodrow and muslim woman for your responses. :)

and woodrow - for such a liberal city, Austin certainly brings in the people when it comes to Church and mosque Synagogue and hindu temples doesn't it? My Church(St. William Catholic in Round Rock) in the past 10 years we have moved 3 times. We have 5 Masses on Sunday as well. And, the last Church we were at (until we moved into our new one, which is very nice I might add lol) we had to have TV's put outside to see mass and we would set up tents, because it was so full!

Maybe it is just because Austin is growing so fast (expected to surpass San Antonio AND Dallas by 2060 I think), but who knows lol

Woodrow
07-07-2007, 01:26 PM
:w:

I don't think liberal is the correct word. I would put it more in terms of diverse and mutually understanding.

Kinky Friedman represents Austin best "Keep Austin Weird"

Austin is the most diverse city I have ever seen anyplace. Somehow, we all manage to live in peace without having any need to sacrifice any Religious values.

What other City could you find a Baptist Church located between a Mosque and the Parking lot for the Mosque? (N. Lamar Mosque) and a Buddhist temple a short ways down the road.

You do have an advantage living in Austin. UT has an outstanding MidEast Department and some excellent Arabic courses along with Islamic studies. The Muslim Student Association is very active and is always willing to share Islam with all people. They had been weekly coffee meetings for Non-Muslims, those may still happen.

You may want to give them a Call and see what is happening:

http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/msa/

Andrew
07-09-2007, 08:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
[B]....
We'll do our best to arrange a visit for you....
Does anybody know of any groups that do this in the West Midlands, UK preferably in the Coventry area?

Thanks for your time

Woodrow
07-09-2007, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Andrew
Does anybody know of any groups that do this in the West Midlands, UK preferably in the Coventry area?

Thanks for your time
I'm in the USA, but even here I keep hearing that the Kingston Mosque seems to be doing the most in the UK for helping non-Muslims learn a little about us.

You may want to contact them, I am certain they could direct you to the right people that could help you visit a local Mosque. Every Mosque I know of welcomes visitors. However, it is best to inquire in advance to avoid making minor errors that could be seen as insulting to Muslims, if we do not know you are non-Muslim and are honestly curious about us. Also many Mosques will provide visitors with all kinds of freebies if we know a visitor is there. we actually do love visitors even if we know they have no intent to revert. It is good to see people that want to learn the truth about us and not believe the stereotypes.

Here is a link to the Kingston Mosque web site. I notice they have some phone numbers listed.
http://www.kingstonmosque.org.uk/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.