/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arabs=God's chosen people?

August
06-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Well, are they? Muslims say that Islam is a religion for everybody, yet Muslim prayers are always in Arabic, Arabic is the holy language, the Qur'an can only be truely understood in Arabic. So, I'm curious. Do Muslims hold the Arabs as some kind of special people, or did everything I mention arise just because Muhammad was an Arab?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bittersteel
06-29-2007, 08:01 AM
its the Jews who are God's chosen people,aren't they?

doorster
06-29-2007, 08:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by August
Well, are they? Muslims say that Islam is a religion for everybody, yet Muslim prayers are always in Arabic, Arabic is the holy language, the Qur'an can only be truely understood in Arabic. So, I'm curious. Do Muslims hold the Arabs as some kind of special people, or did everything I mention arise just because Muhammad was an Arab?
Arabic is no holier than Aramaic or Hebrew were.

As for Holy Quraan not being Quraan any longer when translated, just look at what you did to Holy Bible! Your translation after translation turned it in to joke. Look at what your translations did to Hazrat Eesa Alaislam!

Now He PBUH is hardly any different to Zeus the Greek god

In Islam no race of people is superior to another, you have been on this forum long enough to have read that many times. dang trolls same things over and over and over. It is a never ending story.

E'jaazi
06-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Muslims do not hold Arabs to be special. Arabs hold Arabs to be special, and that goes against the teachings of the Prophet (Salallahu Alayhe wa Sallam).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
August
06-29-2007, 08:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
In Islam no race of people is superior to another, you have been on this forum long enough to have read that many times. dang trolls same things over and over and over. It is a never ending story.
Actually no, I haven't seen this on the forum before. I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone. What prompts the question is something I read by V. S. Naiupal (Spelling?) who contends that to become Muslim is to become part of the Arab story, in a similar fashion as to how Judaism is inseperable from the Jews as a people.

Bittersteel
06-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Indian crap isn't it?if Islam requires us to be like Arabs stuff like wearing the skullcap ,Arab dress(which westerners call Islamic dress)would have been mandatory.I admit some Muslims regard these as mandatory.

vpb
06-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Arabs stuff like wearing the skullcap ,Arab dress(which westerners call Islamic dress)would have been mandatory.I admit some Muslims regard these as mandatory.
who said the clothes (that arabs wear) and skullcap are mandatory???

north_malaysian
06-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Zillions of Muslims wear western clothes..... are we Arabized?:exhausted

Muslim Woman
06-29-2007, 09:11 AM

With the name of ALLAH ( God Almighty ) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Salaam/ peace ;

Well, are they?

no , there is no verse in Quran that says Arabs are superior than non-Arabs. If u read Quran , u will find that God says ( not the exact words ) , best among u is s/he who is a God fearing person.

Prophet Muhammed (p) said in his last sermon that , Arab has no superiority over non-Arab , White has no superiority over black & the vice versa.

Islam is for all. All holy books came to the Prophets (pbut ) in their languages . So , as Muhammed (p) was an Arab , Quran came in Arabic. To understand the Quran fully , it's better if we read the main book . But , as most Muslims are non-Arabs , we take help of the translation.

Verses of the day & night –
No want of proportion will you see in the Creation of (Allah) Most Gracious.

So turn your vision again: See you any flaw? Again turn your vision a second time:

(Your) vision will come back to you dull and discomfited, in a state worn out.(Al-Mulk 67:3-4)

IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2007, 10:25 AM
we consider the arabic language to be special and anyone born with it to be honored but we dont cosider the arabs as a whole superior in anyway over others.

islam is clear when it confines superiority to the conciousness of Allah, whoever is concious of Allah more is superior then the one who is less concious of Allah

i hope that answers your question

gladTidings
06-29-2007, 10:38 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
I personally think that there is wisdom behind Allah making Muhammad an Arab.
Yeah i agree with you there.. I also think within this there is an additional test for the Arabs; as they may easily fall into pride, arrogance and inconsideration. They have a greater responsibility to understand and help their fellow non-arab muslims to better their understanding of the arabic language.

To answer August's question:

The Prophet (saw) eliminated all wrong superiority’s: territorial, tribal, linguistic, racial. He (saw), declared: ‘No Arab is superior over an non-Arab, no non-Arab is superior over an Arab. No white is superior over a black, no black is superior over a white. All these superiority’s are man-made. Only superiority is that of piety, human conduct and moral behaviour.’
(Bukhari)

vpb
06-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I personally think that there is wisdom behind Allah making Muhammad an Arab. I don't think it was just randomly picked. What the wisdom is, I am not too sure, does it mean the arabs are betters or regarded higher, I don't think so.
I don't think there was any richer language than arabic or any language that reached the highest point at the time when Qur'an was revealed.

but Allah swt says in the Qur'an:

Surah Shua'ra
192. Verily this is a Revelation from the Lord of the Worlds:
193. With it came down the spirit of Faith and Truth-
194. To thy heart and mind, that thou mayest admonish.
195. In the perspicuous Arabic tongue.
196. Without doubt it is (announced) in the mystic Books of former peoples.
197. Is it not a Sign to them that the Learned of the Children of Israel knew it (as true)?
198. Had We revealed it to any of the non-Arabs,
199. And had he recited it to them, they would not have believed in it.

vpb
06-29-2007, 10:44 AM
If prayers would be in everyone's language, I wonder how could I be able to pray after a Pakistani, learn Urdu, and then after a German, and learn german, and then after a spanish , and learn spanish.........I would have to learn so many languages, to understand, so we just learn arabic, everyone, and when we do the prayers, everyone is concentrated in just one language, a universal prayer language :).

That's why english language is used for business in the world, but it doesn't mean we are english, it's just we use it as universal business language. Or here in forum, bc we learn all the same language and we communicate. Are we english?

IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2007, 11:32 AM
^ the best defence of our beloved nabi sallallahu alaihi wasallaam at times is a polite refutation in affirmation of his teachings. Only when a fatwa is given can we go further... this is my little understanding, is it wronG?

- Qatada -
06-29-2007, 11:37 AM
:salamext:

Qur'an 49:13

O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allah is the most pious. Verily, God is All-Knowing, All-Aware.

The Prophet said: 'There is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab, nor for a non-Arab over an Arab, nor for a fair-skinned person over a person with dark skin, nor for a dark-skinned person over a person with fair skin. Whoever is more pious and God-fearing is more deserving of honour.' (Musnad Ahmad)

Bittersteel
06-29-2007, 11:51 AM
who said the clothes (that arabs wear) and skullcap are mandatory???
exactly that's what I meant,they aren't.

no1_outbider
06-29-2007, 02:34 PM

Salaams!

The issue here is that allah (SWT) says that the quran is put in the best
language arabic,arabic being the orignal language of quranic;makes it
holy language.

But as for this very specific rase having proirity over others is
someting irrelevant
!

doorster
06-29-2007, 06:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by no1_outbider

Salaams!

The issue here is that allah (SWT) says that the quran is put in the best
language arabic,arabic being the orignal language of quranic;makes it
holy language.

But as for this very specific rase having proirity over others is
someting irrelevant
!
What about the earlier non Arab Prophets? Were their languages holy or unholy?or less holy than Arabic?Won't the Arabs by virtue of speaking a holy language become special people?

To me Personally Arabic is no more than a language! And It is Quraanic text that is sacred to me

This reminds me about the story of a Pakistani fellow who was pushed aside by an arrogant Arab, and when the Pakistani fellow angrily said are you blind? the Arab started to curse and swear at him in Arabic, the Pakistani bowed his head in shame and started to apologize endlessly saying "what a holy person this Arab is, I shout at him and he is reciting at me!.

Once at Islamabad Airport I looked at a fellow, admiringly, thinking what a face, full of noor and so beautiful a beard, until he said, in Arabic, "what are you staring at paki begger, f*** off"!

:w:

I wondered, how many onlookers must have thought I had just been blessed in holy language?

Makky
06-30-2007, 04:00 AM
some verses from the Quran

“O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allaah is that (believer) who has At-Taqwa [i.e. he is one of the Muttaqoon (the pious)]. Verily, Allaah is All-Knowing, All Aware”
[al-Hujuraat 49:13]

“Whoever works righteousness — whether male or female — while he (or she) is a true believer (of Islamic Monotheism) verily, to him We will give a good life (in this world with respect, contentment and lawful provision), and We shall pay them certainly a reward in proportion to the best of what they used to do (i.e. Paradise in the Hereafter)” [al-Nahl 16:97]

click here for more : The most honoured of you with Allaah is the one who is the most pious

vpb
06-30-2007, 06:52 AM
This is why Prophet saws said to leave nationalism cuz it's rotten.

Muslim Woman
06-30-2007, 08:21 AM

Once at Islamabad Airport I looked at a fellow, admiringly, thinking what a face, full of noor and so beautiful a beard, until he said, in Arabic, "what are you staring at paki begger, f*** off"!

it's really shocking . I've heard that Saudi people never greet Pak , Bangladeshi Muslims because they think of them as beggerss...is that true ?

Muslim Woman
06-30-2007, 08:24 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
This is why Prophet saws said to leave nationalism cuz it's rotten.
but to love own country does not mean that we have to be rude to others . Can u give the hadith or explain why Prophet (p) said so ?

doorster
06-30-2007, 08:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

it's really shocking . I've heard that Saudi people never greet Pak , Bangladeshi Muslims because they think of them as beggerss...is that true ?
well I did look like a beggar but their treatment of us was/is shocking to say the least. then I was 6 foot 1 in tall 8 stone pathetic looking person trying to escape from Pakistan to be with my father who had already gone to England. I found more humanity in Uk than I had found in Saudis. had we relied on them we would both have died between 71 and 79.

Muslim Woman
06-30-2007, 08:58 AM

well I did look like a beggar but their treatment of us was/is shocking .

i heard many rude behaviours of Saudi people towards their Muslim workers who came from 3rd world countries. This is against the Islamic rules .

May Allah guide us all, Ameen.

I heard a lecture where the speaker told how non-Muslims show many good virtues in their behaviours those are taught in the Quran & hadith but we Muslims ignore those lovely teachings . What a pity :(

vpb
06-30-2007, 10:36 AM
but to love own country does not mean that we have to be rude to others
should each one of us love our country that much that we look at other nations as inferiors?? we are muslims, and Allah created nations so we can identify each other, and not that we can see each other as inferior. we are all the same, wether it be paki, or saudi, or english or afrikan.....

Can u give the hadith or explain why Prophet (p) said so ?
check this article.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/F...2704/article29

Makky
06-30-2007, 11:33 AM

but to love own country does not mean that we have to be rude to others . Can u give the hadith or explain why Prophet (p) said so ?
You can read this Various questions about ‘asabiyyah (tribalism) and nationality

Various questions about ‘asabiyyah (tribalism) and nationality

Question:
Some of my colleagues have started having discussions on the topic of nationality in islam. I am, therefore, putting the following questions before you.
Please be kind enough to reply them in the light of shariah.
1- Talking about an independent country in the world where Muslims are in majority, if they celebrate the independence day then what is the status of this celebrations according to Islamic Shariah ?
2-Is it Asabiyah ? or Jahilia ? or Haram?
3- Whats the true definition of Asabiyah according to our Shariat?
4- As a Muslim how should we feel about the land/Country where we are born and brought up and get education and job ? Can we have feelings of love with this land? Does it means Asabiyah ? Can we have national celebrations which does not contradicts with Islamic teachings? What types of national celebrations are prohibited and which types of them are allowed ??
5- How about using the passport of a country if attachment and affiliation with any country is considered as Jahilia and Asabiyah ??
6- What examples are present in history of Sahaba (R.A) the Companions of PROPHET HAZRAT MUHAMMAD (PBUH) regarding the love of their land where they lived?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

It is not permissible to celebrate independence day or any similar occasions, because that entails imitation of the kuffaar. From another angle it is also a kind of innovation. So these celebrations combine sin and bid’ah (innovation).

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

The word Eid is used to refer to something that is repeated, in the sense of both place and time. With regard to time, this is like saying the Day of ‘Arafah, the day of Sacrifice and the days of Mina are Eids for us Muslims. This was narrated by Abu Dawood and others. With regard to place, this is like the report narrated by Abu Dawood in his Sunan, that a man said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I have vowed to sacrifice a camel in Bawaanah.” He said, “Is there one of the idols of the mushrikeen there, or one of their places of festivity?” He said, “No.” He said, “Then fulfil your vow.” And he said, “Do not take my grave as a place of festivity (which you visit repeatedly).”

The word Eid is taken from the same root as the words mu’aawadah (repeating) and i’tiyaad (doing a thing repeatedly). If it refers to a place, then it means a place where people gather regularly for the purpose of worship or other purposes, as Allaah made al-Masjid al-Haraam [the Sacred Mosque, in Makkah], Mina, Muzdalifah, ‘Arafah and al-Mashaa’ir places of gathering and worship for those who believed in Him alone, and a focal point, and as He made the days of worshipping in those places an Eid. The mushrikeen had Eids in the sense of time and place (gathering in certain places on certain days), but when Islam came it abolished them and replaced them for the monotheists with Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha and the days of Mina. And it replaced the places where they used to gather for festivals with the Ka’bah, the Sacred House, and ‘Arafah, Mina and al-Mashaa’ir.

Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/190

One of the things that is forbidden for Muslims is to imitate the kuffaar, especially with regard to their festivals. This issue of festivals and innovated celebrations is one of the things that the Muslims became most careless about after the best generations. Many of them hastened to imitate other nations in their festivals and celebrations. Some of them introduced the innovation of celebrating the Prophet’s birthday, and celebrating the night of the Isra’ and Mi’raaj (Prophet’s night journey and ascent into heaven), and these national festivals which are increasing day after day among the Muslims.

We have quoted in our answer to question no. 10070 a fatwa from the Standing Committee concerning national holidays and other celebrations. Please refer to this fatwa.

Secondly:

These forbidden and innovated celebrations stir up tribalism and racism, and imply approval of what the colonialists did by dividing the Muslims’ land and making it into scattered states and peoples.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allaah is that (believer) who has At‑Taqwa [i.e. he is one of the Muttaqoon (the pious)]. Verily, Allaah is All‑Knowing, All‑Aware”
[al-Hujuraat 49:13]

Allaah created Adam and Hawwa’ [Eve], and made their offspring into peoples, tribes, races and colours. All people come from Adam and Hawwa’, and no colour or race is superior to another. Rather all of them are equal before Allaah with regard to their origins, and the one who fears his Lord the most is the best and most honourable before Allaah.

However people split after this into nations, countries and races, is only like the splitting of a single family, brothers from one father and one mother.

This ‘asabiyyah (tribalism) that is appearing nowadays in most countries, where people form factions on the basis of race, colour or homeland, is akin to the ancient tribalism that existed between the tribes of Aws and Khazraj; it is one of the leftovers of jaahiliyyah [ignorance].

There had been many wars between Aws and Khazraj during the Jaahiliyyah, with a great deal of enmity and hatred, and intense fighting, until Islam came and they entered therein, and became brothers by the grace of Allaah.

After Islam had set their affairs straight and they had become united, a Jewish man passed by a gathering of Aws and Khazraj, and he was bothered by their friendship and unity. So he sent a man who was with him to sit amongst them and remind them of the wars that used to be waged between them. He did that and kept doing it until they were provoked and became angry with one another, and they got riled up and started shouting their slogans and calling for their weapons, and threatening to go out to the Harrah (a place in Madeenah) to fight. News of this reached the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), so he came to them and started to calm them down, and said, “Are you issuing the calls of the jaahiliyyah when I am still among you?” Then he recited to them the following verse (Interpretation of the meaning):

“And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allaah (i.e. this Qur’aan), and be not divided among yourselves, and remember Allaah’s Favour on you, for you were enemies one to another but He joined your hearts together, so that, by His Grace, you became brethren (in Islamic Faith), and you were on the brink of a pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus Allaah makes His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.,) clear to you, that you may be guided”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:103]

When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) recited this verse to them, they regretted what they had done, and they reconciled and put aside their weapons.

Fourthly:

Islam does not forbid a Muslim to love his homeland or the country in which he lives or grew up. What is reprehensible is basing one’s feelings of loyalty and disavowal on that, and loving and hating on that basis. A person who belongs to the same country as you is not closer to you than a Muslim from another land, and the reason for your loving or hating others should not be whether or not they come from the same country as you. Rather loyalty and disavowal, or love and hatred, should all be based on Islam and piety.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to love Makkah because it was the most beloved land to Allaah, but he did not love the kaafirs who lived there, rather he fought them because they fought against Islam and killed Muslims. Neither he nor his companions ever gave precedence to their love of Makkah over the laws of Allaah, so when Allaah forbade those who had migrated from Makkah to go back to it, except for Hajj and three days after it, they adhered to that and did not stay there for longer than that period. Their love for Makkah did not make them disobey Allaah, let alone do anything that was worse than that.

Today you see that tribalism and devotion to one's country has gone to such extremes that places of shirk are venerated just because they are in one’s country; the flag is venerated because it represents the country, so the people stand and salute it with a reverence that is absent in their prayers when they stand before their Lord.

Fifthly:

Using passports is not regarded as a kind of ‘asabiyyah (tribalism) or jaahiliyyah (ignorance) because the purpose is simply to identify a person and the country of which he is a citizen. If it so happens that some people use them for the purpose of boasting and acting superior to others, or to express tribalistic pride in his country, this is something blameworthy.

Sixthly:

We have mentioned that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) loved Makkah and that he gave precedence to obeying his Lord over his love for Makkah.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to Makkah, “What a good land you are, and how dear you are to me. Were it not that my people drove me out from you, I would never have lived anywhere else.”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3926; classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi and by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5536.

You can also find similar stories of the Sahaabah and those who came after them, by reading their biographies. It seems that the love of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the Sahaabah for Makkah was because it was the most beloved land to Allaah, as it says in another report narrated by al-Tirmidhi, no. 3925: “You are the best land of Allaah and the most beloved of the land of Allaah to Allaah.” Classed as saheeh by Ibn Hajar.

But the natural love that a person feels for the place where he grew up is something that is not regarded as blameworthy by sharee’ah, so long as that does not distract you from acts of worship and obedience which are more important. Hence we see that the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), Muhaajireen and Ansaar alike, left their homelands and went out to other lands, spreading the call of Islam throughout other countries. They went out for purposes that were nobler than their attachment to land and buildings.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

doorster
06-30-2007, 04:17 PM
should each one of us love our country that much that we look at other nations as inferiors?? we are muslims, and Allah created nations so we can identify each other, and not that we can see each other as inferior. we are all the same, wether it be paki, or saudi, or english or afrikan.....

check this article.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/F...2704/article29
:w:should we hate our country (like deobandi "maulanas") so much that refuse to serve in its armed forces, leaving it to the mercy of "benevolent" hindus next door yet encourage riots and bloodshed of minorities and those who oppose us, within it (and out side of it), so that there would be Armageddon of sorts to bring about a khilafat?

doorster
06-30-2007, 04:32 PM
some of you need to go and join almaghrab and read an article about tribalism, which tells of Muslim armies of past regimented according to tribes. So that every member of tribe would do his utmost to avoid defeat lest he brings shame to his clan for being the one who brought loss of life in defeat.

You need a country to base your "khilafah" from, we can't possibly terrorise the world into submission thus granting us khilafat.

having no country = nokhilafat
having no tribes = equals no recognition in face of victories and no shame or blame in case of defeat thus no incentive to strive!

ask commies they tried and failed, ask Pakistanis they tried imposing a uniform language/one identity and cost us half our brothers half our country that played right into hands of our "good" neighbours

vpb
06-30-2007, 06:49 PM

should we hate our country (like deobandi "maulanas") so much that refuse to serve in its armed forces, leaving it to the mercy of "benevolent" hindus next door yet encourage riots and bloodshed of minorities and those who oppose us, within it (and out side of it), so that there would be Armageddon of sorts to bring about a khilafat?
did I say anywhere that we should hate our country? all I said, was not to love our country beyond the limits which will lead to extra nationalism, which makes nations see other nations as inferior.
Read the post again please.

P.S : You can have a country without tribes. Not all world is like Pakistan and India.

I suggest to read again my and brother Makky's article.

doorster
07-02-2007, 02:11 AM
You can have a country without tribes. Not all world is like Pakistan and India.
wow! That is news to me!

clans of Scotland, tribes of Africa, Australia and America, ye olde tribal kingdoms of UK must be figments of my imagination

PS. Only neo-nazi skinheads are allowed to call me "Paki" from anyone else I expect to be referred to as Pakistani

north_malaysian
07-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Are we english?
Yes......:D

(Hey.... at least Malaysia is part of the British Commonwealth right!!!!:okay:)

north_malaysian
07-02-2007, 08:07 AM

I dont think all Saudis are like that....

Just like Malaysian Muslims.... not all of us refuse to pray beside an Indonesian or a Bangladeshi... but still, it's a sad thing to see situation like this happened in the Malaysian mosques.:enough!:

north_malaysian
07-02-2007, 08:10 AM

i heard many rude behaviours of Saudi people towards their Muslim workers who came from 3rd world countries. This is against the Islamic rules
Malaysians are 3rd world country citizens too... but I never heard any complaints from Malaysian expats/hujjaj about Saudi rude behaviours towards them.... In fact many Malaysians saying that the Saudis welcomed them warmly...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.