/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Snowy's cats, kittens and other animals thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

snakelegs
03-07-2007, 09:51 PM
i had no idea how busy the pet industry has been! i've been thinking about looking for some toy that one of the cats could amuse himself with when he's in the house because he wants constant attention. i enjoy him, but sometimes i am doing something else and can't pet him every minute.
i have a couple of questions because i'm new to catdom.
male dogs will very rarely attack a female.
is this true about cats also? and would it be more or less unlikely if the female was spayed? 2 of the cats are always getting into fights and sometimes they really go at it. i'm not really sure who starts it, for all i know they take turns. i don't know if the female is spayed or not - in fact, she is so hairy that i wasn't even sure she was a female until recently. i hope she's spayed because i don't know what i'll do if one day she shows up with 6 kittens! (these are all strays that i have been feeding for the past 4 months or so). there are 2 males (one is just a teenager) and 1 female.
also, i voted for the somali fox but it doesn't say "you've already voted" like it ususally does. and why are there 2 holes by each cat?
thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tania
03-08-2007, 04:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i had no idea how busy the pet industry has been! i've been thinking about looking for some toy that one of the cats could amuse himself with when he's in the house because he wants constant attention. i enjoy him, but sometimes i am doing something else and can't pet him every minute.
i have a couple of questions because i'm new to catdom.
male dogs will very rarely attack a female.
is this true about cats also? and would it be more or less unlikely if the female was spayed? 2 of the cats are always getting into fights and sometimes they really go at it. i'm not really sure who starts it, for all i know they take turns. i don't know if the female is spayed or not - in fact, she is so hairy that i wasn't even sure she was a female until recently. i hope she's spayed because i don't know what i'll do if one day she shows up with 6 kittens! (these are all strays that i have been feeding for the past 4 months or so). there are 2 males (one is just a teenager) and 1 female.
also, i voted for the somali fox but it doesn't say "you've already voted" like it ususally does. and why are there 2 holes by each cat?
thanks
I have to search for answer on the vets site. After my knowledge the male cats should not attack under any circumstance the female cat.He should attack only the kittens if he is not the father (to kill them - i saw that at the big cats diary. In this moments the female cats reply, try to protect their ,lifes and a goof fight can raise from that).

From the posted toys the panic mouse (CFa breeders congratulated them for making this toy) it seems the most entertaining and the cat gym got also a reward in 2005.

Can you vote again :? and tell you if will not appear that : you voted :-[ Are two holes because the image was attached like option - for artistic reasons:-[ But you must vote where is the writings , don't choose the picture. Anyway we can count them.:statisfie Important is to vote.Thats count.

Kittens are cute but its true you must have to whom to give them.:exhausted

Tania
03-08-2007, 04:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
aww cool i want it. but i can tell wen my kitty loves me :statisfie
Your kittens have an expressive face.:)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-08-2007, 04:15 AM
YEA, they do...:giggling: :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
03-08-2007, 04:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
I have to search for answer on the vets site. After my knowledge the male cats should not attack under any circumstance the female cat.He should attack only the kittens if he is not the father (to kill them - i saw that at the big cats diary. In this moments the female cats reply, try to protect their ,lifes and a goof fight can raise from that).

From the posted toys the panic mouse (CFa breeders congratulated them for making this toy) it seems the most entertaining and the cat gym got also a reward in 2005.

Can you vote again :? and tell you if will not appear that : you voted :-[ Are two holes because the image was attached like option - for artistic reasons:-[ But you must vote where is the writings , don't choose the picture. Anyway we can count them.:statisfie Important is to vote.Thats count.

Kittens are cute but its true you must have to whom to give them.:exhausted
well, i thought maybe i clicked the wrong hole. i did it again and it still doesn't say "you've already voted".
hmmm....the male and female that fight are both adults. maybe they are mental cases? (the female is, actually!) i imagine that before too long there will be trouble with the teenager and the adult male too.
yes - that's the problem. finding homes for kittens is very difficult. if she does have kittens i guess i will have no choice but to have her spayed so she doesn't have any more. i will be sad if i can't find homes. but maybe i'll be lucky and she's already been spayed. she's already be roaming around the neighbourhood for several years before she came and cried at my door and i've never seen any kittens.
i'll have to check out cat toys next time i go to one of those pet stores. i've really never looked at cat stuff much. last time i noticed, there really wasn't a whole lot of stuff to choose from and nothing like what you've shown here.
thanks for all your work and information on this thread and thanks to al madani too. kittygyal has apparently gone on the prowl.

Tania
03-08-2007, 04:13 PM
well, i thought maybe i clicked the wrong hole. i did it again and it still doesn't say "you've already voted".
Please vote again and see if the voters number is increasing. May be the programme just forgot to add the words.:-[
hmmm....the male and female that fight are both adults. maybe they are mental cases? (the female is, actually!) i imagine that before too long there will be trouble with the teenager and the adult male too.
please read the next post about cats agression
yes - that's the problem. finding homes for kittens is very difficult. if she does have kittens i guess i will have no choice but to have her spayed so she doesn't have any more. i will be sad if i can't find homes. but maybe i'll be lucky and she's already been spayed. she's already be roaming around the neighbourhood for several years before she came and cried at my door and i've never seen any kittens.
We must be responsable owners-you can't just release the kitten in the wild. Its much better to spay the cat but only if you see she can have kittens. If she is old aged then its not the case:-[
i'll have to check out cat toys next time i go to one of those pet stores. i've really never looked at cat stuff much. last time i noticed, there really wasn't a whole lot of stuff to choose from and nothing like what you've shown here..
The toys posted by me can be bought from the net online. The companies are americans.
thanks for all your work and information on this thread and thanks to al madani too. kittygyal has apparently gone on the prowl.
Kittygyal is in Chicago and she will be back in may - i don't know the data. She really likes Chicago.:statisfie

Tania
03-08-2007, 04:23 PM
THE WINNER OF THE FEBRUARY MONTH

is:
THE NORWEGIAN FOREST CAT BREED - BICOLOR DIVISION
:bravo:

Tania
03-08-2007, 05:11 PM
The truth about cat toys
Part II: 8 - 11 march 2007

Play alone toys

Part IV : Catnip body pillows toys:)
Features

Cats love to wrap their legs around their prey.

Each pillow is about 11 inches long by 3 inches wide -- perfect for kicking, tumbling, and licking. The cover is strong upholstery fabric. Each pillow is filled with organic and powerful catnip -- 3/4 cup. The other stuffing inside is also cat safe.

Not every cat go wild when feels the catnip scent:-[ or just prefer to sleep with the favourite toy.

Will continue
Source

Tania
03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
The truth about cat toys

Play alone toys

Part V : Honeysuckle toys:)
Features
Its an alternative toy designed for cats who are not really attracted to catnip. :)

FACTS:
  • Honeysuckle contains a harmless neuro-stimulant called actinidine.
  • Actinidine is a chemical known to be attractive to members of felis domestica. It is found in valerian root, and honeysuckle shrubs. Cultivators such as silver vine also contains actinidine. These plants are sometimes destroyed by enthusiastic kitties.
  • Interestingly enough Actinidine is also a pheromone for a variety of insects such as ants and bees

Honeysuckle Sock Toys

Honeysuckle is a safe new alternative to catnip, which your cat may find equally — or more — enjoyable! These honeysuckle socks can save yor own socks in time of cats naughty mood.

Made from bright, vibrant polar fleece, the beanbag style will apply to the most discriminating cat. Feels like the :real thing. A self-activating toy, the scent is refreshed each time your favourite feline plays with it.
Bowties

Honeysuckle SOAKED fleece make this fabulous toy a KITTEN favorite! Try them & see for yourself. Then don't be surprised when they start to whine for more Honeysuckle Toys. You know how kids are...
Playmat

"Keysha says they are MEOWRIFFIC! And Her Favorite For Sleeping On The Back Of The Couch!" They are made with a variety of prints with a solid color co-coordinated back. Sprinkled inside with cat attracting Honeysuckle they will be your cat's favorite too!
Cushion

Cotton cat print with generous amounts of Honeysuckle inside. A Great Cat Exerciser. Watch Them Play off the weight! And never worry about toy durability. They will lose it before wearing it out! The toy that is... er the weight...

Will continue
Source
Source

Tania
03-08-2007, 06:27 PM
The truth about cat toys

Play alone toys

Part VI : Ball toys:)
Features
Glow balls

Cats come alive when we crash. This toy is great because it glows and intrigues cats in the dark. When the lights go out cats can still have a tone of fun. Keeps cats occupied and out of mischief through the night. Relieves night time boredom. Catnip scent is an added bonus.
Blinky Balls

Blinky Balls are motion activated, brilliantly illuminated balls that start flashing with just a slight touch from your cat. Each flash cycle lasts for 3 seconds, and then shuts off automatically. So, when the sun goes down, it's Blinky Ball time! Made of rugged, non-toxic, brilliant red plastic, and comes with replaceable batteries.
Crinkle ball

Combine a classic crinkle ball with a wobbly base and what do you get? A real tail chaser. Cats go wild over this crazy toy. This comnination of crinkle sound with the wobbly movement will have your cat running circles around this toy for hours.
Anti - tartar hair balls

Hair Balls are economical and fun toys for cats. Pulling, playing and chewing on the 100% cotton "hair" helps to remove plaque and tartar from teeth. The rolling motion of the ball will keep your cat's attention while playing with the string hair.
Babble balls

Animal Sounds Babble Balls® has more than 20 different realistic animal sounds; lion, frogs, coyote howl, lots of birds, dog barking, pigs, rooster, lamb, elephant, cow, goat, a cat, and more.Give your kitty a choice, buy the kitty babble ball and the animal sounds babble ball for added fun.
or if you wish the cat to listen your voice you can buy:
Talk to me treat ball

Record a message to your cat, load it up with treats and watch the fun. The Talk To Me Treatball keeps snack loving cats busy and active for hours. Utlra-durable ball is dishwasher-safe. (remove voice module before placing in dishwasher)
or if you wish a ball which makes sounds without batteries, you can go for:
Squeak easy ball

4.5" Fleece ball that makes a noise similar to a mouse squeaking or small bird chirping when the ball is rolled, thrown or shaken. Lots of soft, squeaky fun and no batteries required. Long lasting fun . The sound device is covered with a double wrap of fleece for durability.
Zig -and -Zag ball

Crazy Zig-n-Zag activity ball has weight inside which creates an unpredictable roll. Active cats need mental stimulation and Zig-n-Zag is no ordinary roll on the kitchen floor. It's a challenging toy your cat is sure to love.
Wild tails - because it seems the cats likes the tails, legs

Wild Tail is ideal for cats. Switch it on and it rolls, wobbles, summersaults and leads pets on a chase.
Will continue
Source
Source
Source

Tania
03-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Aggression between opposite or same gender cats

by Franny Syufy

Sexual Aggression

Even neutered cats occasionally "feel their oats," especially if they were neutered after sexual maturity. From observing my own cats, it appears that their sexual aggression toward each other borders on what I call "Dominance" aggression, or territorial aggression. Sexual aggression is easy to identify. The aggressor will bite the nape of the neck of the victim cat and attempt to mount him, with the same thrusting hip movements seen in male-female mating. I discourage sexual aggression between my cats by "scruffing," about the only means of direct discipline I employ. Scruffing will be described below.

Territorial Aggression

Territorial aggression can sometimes arise suddenly between two relatively evenly-matched cats, and can take place between male-male, male-female, or female-female. Territorial aggression in the form of fighting is often accompanied by urine spraying or "marking," which helps identify this form of aggression. The aggressor cat is not necessarily the older cat, nor the one who has been in the household the longest. He will preface his attack with much posturing: back raised, ears laid back, with accompanying growling and hissing, then leap on his victim and attempt to bite him on the back of the neck. In many cases, the "victim" cat will back down by turning and walking slowly away, and the social hierarchcy process will have begun. Other times, the victim will give tit for tat, and a violent battle may ensue.:( Do not attempt to physically separate two fighting cats; in the heat of emotion, they will not recognize you, and severe injury could result.
Dealing:
Most housemate cats will eventually resolve their disputes; one will reign as the "alpha cat," and the other will be satisfied with his lesser role in the "food chain." On the other hand, you may be faced with the dilemma of two cats who will never get along, and may have to be permanently separated. Each case of territorial infighting comes with its own nuances, and it will take a great deal of time and commitment on your part to work with the parties to resolve a peaceful living arrangement.

Redirected Aggression

The classic scenario of redirected aggression goes something like this:

Alex is sitting in the window watching the birds outside, when he sees a strange cat in his yard spraying his favorite bush with urine. Alex hurls himself off the windowsill and viciously attacks Sophie, who is sleeping peacefully in a chair. Poor Sophie wakes and either fights back or runs away and hides. Sophie may or may not later attack Alex out of fear-based aggression.)

Dealing with redirected aggression consists of two basic steps:
  • Find a way of keeping the strange cat out of your yard, or temporarily cover the window where he is most likely to be seen.
  • Keep your two cats separated for a day or two until they both forget the incident.
  • Redirected aggression is usually a temporary situation, unless you allow it to escalate.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-08-2007, 07:00 PM
:sl:

Poll Updated - Will remain open from march 8th - 11th. You can vote for more than one option.

snakelegs
03-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Please vote again and see if the voters number is increasing. May be the programme just forgot to add the words.:-[

please read the next post about cats agression

We must be responsable owners-you can't just release the kitten in the wild. Its much better to spay the cat but only if you see she can have kittens. If she is old aged then its not the case:-[

The toys posted by me can be bought from the net online. The companies are americans.

Kittygyal is in Chicago and she will be back in may - i don't know the data. She really likes Chicago.:statisfie
thank you very much for the info on cat agression! really appreciate your research.
well, i voted in the new poll (even tho i don't really know anything about cat toys and this one shows i voted. (unlike the last pick the breed poll) so i guess all is well.
i would never release the kittens in the wild. (i really hope the female is spayed!). i know i wouldn't be able to keep them. i would put them in a box and go stand in front of a grocery store or a shopping mall and try to talk people in to adopting them. the only other alternative would be the animal shelter (where they are almost always killed). i just hope it doesn't happen.
if she does have kittens, i will get her spayed as soon as it is safe, even tho she is a stray, so that it doesn't happen again.
kittygyal must be happy - i hope she is enjoying. i know she's very homesick.
thanks again!

Khalid1402
03-09-2007, 02:54 AM
:salamext:

I have two cats and there are many many things they seem to enjoy. Sometimes a scrunched up bit of paper is enough to keep them happy. I do not give them anything with catnip though, because to me it's kinda like pot for cats, and my cats are hyper enough as it is (that and I don't agree with the idea of catnip personally).

Jazak Allah Khair

Tania
03-09-2007, 03:58 AM
even tho she is a stray, so that it doesn't happen again.
kittygyal must be happy - i hope she is enjoying. i know she's very homesick.
thanks again!
Welcome:) i will do mopre reasearch on cat agression and i will post even the solutions. You have to observe them when they are fighting:? In which from the 3 cases can their behaviour be put. Sometimes even the stray cats needs a home and they are it seems your house fits for their need, so i think they just will move in.:statisfie
The kittens are adorable and i knew you will not let them go just like that.:-[ I just added that because in almost each cat sites they are talking about neutering and spaying, so i thought to be responsable and write about that too.:-[

Tania
03-09-2007, 04:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalid1402

I have two cats and there are many many things they seem to enjoy. Sometimes a scrunched up bit of paper is enough to keep them happy. I do not give them anything with catnip though, because to me it's kinda like pot for cats, and my cats are hyper enough as it is (that and I don't agree with the idea of catnip personally).

Jazak Allah Khair
If i understood right the catnip is for the cats which begin to avoid exercises (or just for single cats). An alternative would be the honeysuckle toys - designed still for them. If your cats are active and they can play with each other i don't see either the reason why you should buy them scented toys. We will have a post about house made toys too :statisfie The cats can have fun with everything.

Khayal
03-09-2007, 04:38 AM

Voted!!

Tania
03-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Guess the breed :)
In march the first breed which will enter in our contest is :
- try to guess it based on the posted pics:statisfie

They are good swimmers:)

Tania
03-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Cats breed

Part XIII Breed profile :Turkish van:)

Origin :
The Turkish Van is the only cat that loves the water. It may be that this came about because of his need to catch fish but now it seems the breed just loves to swim for pleasure. The Turkish Van came from Western Turkey to England in 1955. The two women who originally took these cats to England imported two more in 1959. In1969 the Turkish Van was accepted for the championship show in Britain. The next year the breed entered the United States was registered in the U.S. in 1985.

Appearance :
Body:
The Turkish Van is a very solid cat with a broad chest. It has a thick body and long legs that are muscular and wide set

Coat:
The coat is semi long and feels like cashmere. After swimming it dries quickly because it has no undercoat.

Coat patterns:
The only color seen in the Turkish Van breed is white. The pattern you will see is called van. This is when only the head and tail have coloring. There can be no more than two spots on his body.

Personality
Gentle, affectionate disposition. Enjoys water and will actively choose to bathe.

[/B]
Intelligence
The Turkish Van is an active cat who is very smart. He is not a lap cat but a lively companion with a very lovely voice.

Grooming
Daily grooming recommended.

Health
The Turkish Van cat breed has a hearty appetite, with no special dietary requirements. Daily grooming recommended. It handled regularly and gently from an early age, less prone to nervousness.

Source
Source

Tania
03-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Good morning:) - says our polite turkish van cat

Its our home safe for the cats :? From 12th march 2007 read about the relation between plants and cats :statisfie

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Aww haha! look at that yawning kitty :statisfie

Tania
03-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Aww haha! look at that yawning kitty :statisfie
She just woke up:) may be later will sing because she has the right throat :giggling:

ismahan
03-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Wat Is The Point Of This?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-10-2007, 02:52 PM
^^MEANIE!! SHOO SHOO! LOL jkin sis :p

Tania
03-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Cats breed

Part XIII Breed profile :Turkish van:)

Character and personality:

The Turkish Van is a loyal, loving and very intelligent cat. Its temperament depends greatly on its upbringing, the amount of human contact and handling it receives as a kitten, and the temperament of the mother herself. They are very affectionate, giving head butts and love bites, but to the uninitiated this could be slightly alarming, but when you get to know your cat you will begin to understand.

They are great climbers, so don't be surprised to find them sitting on top of doors, kitchen units or wardrobes, and some wouldn't think twice about climbing your curtains and sitting on the curtain rail. A great game is retrieving screwed up paper, some catching the ball of paper in mid flight, others making great somersaults.

Where water is concerned, some are not very keen at all, whereas others may love dripping taps, especially drinking from them, then flicking the water with their paws, or dropping toys into their water bowl.

It has been known for Turks to swim in the bath, swimming pool or even the sea. So be warned they may come and join in your daily shower. They may also become curious about toilets, so DON'T LEAVE THE LID UP!

They like to be involved in everything their owners do and follow them around like a dog. In fact some people have said that Turkish Vans are more like dogs than cats. On the whole, they get on very well with dogs indeed, but the Turk will want to be the boss. In most instances the females are more independent and if you have a male and female, she will normally rule the roost, but there are always the exceptions.

Of course, as with all things in life there are a few downsides. Turks have been known to wreak havoc, such as shredding curtains, knocking ornaments and plants off shelves, mantelpieces and kitchen surfaces etc., sometimes this is quite deliberate! Also they have the ability to open doors, especially cupboards etc. and don't think twice about knocking the contents onto the floor.

We know of one family who previously owned Persians, and they thought they could be naughty! Nothing had prepared them for their Turkish pair, their home will never quite be the same again, but they love the cats to bits and wouldn't part with them for the world, they are affectionately known as the 'B Team'.

It appears to most owners that the Turkish Vans can be sensitive to certain sounds, and some are so sensitive that they appear to be nervous and will run and hide. On a cautionary note, don't catch a Turk unawares from behind, if startled they have been known to bite.

Travelling is another story. Some are very well behaved, others can be extremely vocal, sick or even mess themselves! There are various treatments available but they are not always as successful as we would like.

There have been many Turks that have been lead trained and enjoy their walks with their human owners, perhaps through country woods (one Turk even has a squirrel as a friend). They may even enjoy a paddle in a stream. The beach is another place of enjoyment, but beware of the strong winds, some Turks are very wary of them.

Pictures
Pictures
Source

Tania
03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Guess the XIV cat breed

Tania
03-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Cats breed

Part XIV Breed profile :Persian cat - Silver and gold division :)

Features :
Golden persian cat:

The Silver and Golden Division consists of chinchilla and shaded silvers and goldens. The exquisite silvers are considered the most ethereal of all Persians.
Chincilla persian cat:

The chinchilla is a sparkling white cat with black tipping scattered as evenly as stardust, ever so lightly, on the face, legs, tail and body. Shadeds show a mantle of black on the back, shading evenly down the sides. The tipping on the legs and face should match and is darker than the chinchilla. Goldens are either chinchilla or shaded. Their ground color is a rich, warm cream tipped with black. Silvers and goldens have green or blue-green eyes rimmed with black, black paw pads and brick red or rose nose leather.
Silver persian cat:

Source

Abdul-Raouf
03-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Check my link:

:)

http://www.esnips.com/doc/90a890e1-d...8bf3e5/CatSlap

Tania
03-11-2007, 03:41 PM
The truth about cat toys

Play alone toys

Quiz results:)

You will have to try different types of toys with your cat to find out which one he prefers. But according to our votes the most interesting toys for cats are:
  • the ball toys (6 votes) with catnip scent added to raise their interest for hunt. The animal shaped toys are almost completed rejected proving once again the toys are meant to amuse the owners -the cats will never believe that the toys they play with are actually mice.Thats why the readers rejected the animal shaped toys(only 2 votes from 9)
  • toys with squeaking sound which make the prey so real
  • motorized toys which allow the cat to run after the target.
  • after so much hunt the readers are agreed the cats need a reward, something what can be eat(5 votes)not only chewed(3 votes)

Tania
03-11-2007, 08:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzammil
The cat tried to have a good time on the chair. Unfortunatelly your nephew couldn't try to find another "toy" and from here the small incident, without serious wounds. His face is so cute in the end:-[ just wondering where was he wrong.

Kittygyal
03-11-2007, 08:31 PM
salam, Greetings
long time been in this thread, well i apologise alot done eh need to look back anywho nice posts made keep it up dudes/etts
ma'assalam, buh bye

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-11-2007, 09:21 PM

Poll Updated :p (Sorry for the delay, was very busy) and poll will remain open from March 11th - 15.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-11-2007, 10:03 PM
LOL ahaha at the cat. The is kid cute and precious hahah! Funnnii. Anyways i chose the first one :p

snakelegs
03-12-2007, 07:42 AM
i voted turkish van. i think those persians are downright hideous!

Tania
03-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Cats and plants
Part I: 15 - 18 march 2007

Many of us love to decorate our homes with lush, green plants, and if you are like me, you prefer the live variety to silk or plastic. The downside to live plants, however, is that many of them are toxic to cats in one degree or another.

Part I: Poisonous or hazardous plants for the cats
by Franny Syufy
The following is a partial list of plants that are poisonous or hazardous to your cats, including some popular holiday plants:

• Amaryllis - effects: Stomach and intestinal upset (vomiting, diarrhea)

• Azalea - effects: Incoordination, trembling, collapse

• Cactus - effects: Punctures skin, infection

• Caladium - effects: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, shaking head, difficulty breathing

• Creeping Charlie - effects: Vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, cramps

• Easter Lily - effects:All parts can cause kidney failure

• Dieffenbachia - effects: Affects central nervous system

• Ivy - effects: Vomiting, diarrhea, excitable behavior

• Mistletoe - effects: Ingesting berries can cause vomiting, diarrhea, blistering in the mouth, difficulty breathing

• Philodendron - effects:Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, shaking head, difficulty breathing

• Poinsettia - effects: Ingesting berries can cause vomiting, diarrhea, blistering in the mouth, difficulty breathing

Will continue

Tania
03-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Cats and plants

Part II: Other dangerous lilies for cats

by Jill A. Richardson, DVM
Veterinary Poison Information Specialist
ASPCA/National Animal Poison Control Center

Unfortunately, several types of lilies can be deadly to cats. Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum, Japanese show lily, some species of day lily, and certain other members of the Liliaceae family can cause kidney failure in cats.

Within only a few hours of ingestion of the plant material, the cat may vomit, become lethargic, or develop a lack of appetite. These signs continue and worsen as kidney damage progresses. Without prompt and proper treatment by a veterinarian, the cat will develop kidney failure in approximately 36-72 hours.
All parts of these lilies are considered toxic to cats and consuming even small amounts can cause severe poisoning. If there is a lily in your home, there is always the chance that your cat could be accidentally exposed. For this reason, cat owners should avoid exposing their cats to plants of the Liliaceae and Hemerocallis family.

Lilies that have been shown to cause kidney failure in cats include:

Tiger lily - Lilium tigrinum

Rubrum - Lilium speciosum

Japanese show lily - Lilium lancifolium

Day lily - Hemerocallis species

GLORY LILY - Gloriosa Superba

STARGAZER LILY - Lilium orientalis

ASIAN LILIES - Lily asiatic delicious

ASIAN LILIES - Lily asiatic montreaux

-- In 2003, The Center Handled Approximately
129 Cases Of Cats Ingesting A Lilium Species --

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is leading a nationwide campaign to warn cat owners about the dangers of Easter lilies and other variations in the lily family

Will continue

Tania
03-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Cats and plants

Part III: Other dangerous flowers for cats

Chrysanthemums are popular perennials for fall color. The leaves and stem are the toxic part, according to the Searchable Database, but toxicity is limited to dermatitis.

Daffodils, also known as Narcissus can cause upset tummies, vomiting, and/or diarrhea, if your Puss eats the foliage, flowers, or pods.

Hydrangeas toxicity level is low and may result in stomach pains, vomiting, and weakness if the flower heads are ingested.

Iris are fairly safe to use in gardening, once planted, as the bulbs are the suspect part for toxicity, causing typical gastrointestinal symptoms.

Marigolds leaves or stems can cause to cat mild mouth irritation, possible drooling, tummy pain and diarrhea.

Wisteria seeds and pods are the toxic part, and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, and collapse, if ingested.

And from Purdue University another toxic plant for cats:X :

The catnip
With a low toxicity rating, the catnip can be considered like a drug for the cats. Cats will rub and sometime ingest the plant, and then act "drunk" or "wild" for up to an hour or more. No lasting toxicity is reported. If excessive amounts are ingested, vomiting and diarrhea can result, but the signs are self-limiting.

Will continue

vpb
03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
is it true that persian cats are not really friendly and some times they attack?

Tania
03-14-2007, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
is it true that persian cats are not really friendly and some times they attack?
Persian cats temperament
The Persian Longhair is the classic chocolate box cat and has a temperament to match. They are calm and affectionate. The white Persian is known for being somewhat vain and taking care of its appearance, whilst the blue-cream is generally considered more outgoing than many. They are gentle and are not as boisterously active as some shorthair breeds. Generally speaking they do not mind living on their own and are quite content to be an only cat. They are ideal for those who want an indoor cat, as they are quite content to sit and look pretty.
So they should be gentle, but may be if she is stressed - like several cats in the house- that might cause to her an unwanted nerve breakdown.:-[

vpb
03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
So they should be gentle, but may be if she is stressed - like several cats in the house- that might cause to her an unwanted nerve breakdown.
what would be considered as stressing her?
would she get stressed if you would want to play with her?

snakelegs
03-14-2007, 08:04 PM
latest episode in the saga of The Foolishness of Feeding Stray Cats:
yesterday the kitten (he's probably a teenager by now), was sick and later he started screaming in pain. (yes, the Pigeon Eating Monster).
took him to the vet and it seems that it is not uncommon in males for the urethra (?) to get blocked. he is screaming in pain because he is unable to urinate. :cry:
yikes! this is not going to be cheap and i am not rolling in money. dunno what is going to happen next - i left him at the vets as they were about to close for the day.
the vet said something about nutrition - wrong PH balance or something being one of the causes.
anyone ever run in to this particular problem? did your cat live? (apparently there is a chance that he will not).
p.s. this page takes forever to load! (i have dial-up).

- Qatada -
03-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Hey snakelegs.

Whenever you load this page, you can try clicking on the 56K setting:

http://www.islamicboard.com/index.php?styleid=64

snakelegs
03-14-2007, 08:27 PM
thanks (and reps) for this - great idea!
p.s. just tried it and it's a whole lot faster! and i can see the pictures too! (i thought i wouldn't).

Tania
03-15-2007, 05:23 AM
Cats breed

Contest results
The first winner for this month is :
THE TURKISH VAN BREED :thumbs_up

Khayal
03-15-2007, 05:28 AM
I voted on the 1st one, :)

Tania
03-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Ill cats:(

Feline Urinary Syndrome (FUS)
Feline urinary syndrome or FUS is the name given to a group of symptoms that occur in the cat secondary to inflammation, irritation, and/or obstruction of the lower urinary tract (urinary bladder, urethra, and penile urethra). A cat with FUS can exhibit one, some, or even all of the symptoms.

FUS is NOT a specific diagnosis: there are many known and some unknown factors that may cause or contribute to FUS. Any cause resulting in particulate debris in the urine is capable of causing obstruction in the male cat.

Males are much more likely to get this disease than females. There is no known means of prevention. Treatment can vary from diet to surgery. Cats usually recover if the disease is caught in time; often the cat must be watched for any recurrence of FUS.

Symptoms
May appear periodically during the life of the cat.

Females: straining to urinate, blood in the urine, frequent trips to the litter box with only small amounts voided, loss of litterbox habits.
Males: In addition to the above symptoms, small particles may lodge in the male urethra and cause complete obstruction with the inability to pass urine-this is a life and death situation if not treated quickly.
Obstruction usually occurs in the male cat and is most often confined to the site where the urethra narrows as it enters the bulbourethral gland and penis; small particles that can easily pass out of the bladder and transverse the urethra congregate at the bottleneck of the penile urethra to cause complete blockage. (note that the female urethra opens widely into the vagina with no bottleneck).

Symptoms of obstruction are much more intense than those of bladder inflammation alone; this is an emergency requiring immediate steps to relieve the obstruction. Symptoms include:

Frequent non-producing straining-no urine produced, discomfort, pain, howling.
Gentle feeling of the cats abdomen reveals a tennis ball size structure which is the overdistended urinary bladder.
Subsequent depression, vomiting and/or diarrhea, dehydration, loss of appetite, uremic poisoning, and coma may develop rapidly within 24 hours.
Death results from uremic poisoning; advanced uremic poisoning may not be reversible even with relief of the obstruction and intensive care. Bladders can be permanently damaged as a result.
Causes of FUS
In general: any condition that causes stricture, malfunction, inflammation, or obstruction of the urethra. In addition, any condition that causes inflammation, malfunction, or abnormal anatomy of the urinary bladder.

Known causes
  • Struvite crystals accompanied by red blood cells--generally caused by a diet too high in magnesium relative to the pH of the urine.
  • Fish-flavored foods tend to be worse
  • The ability of a given diet to cause problems in an individual cat is highly variable: only those cats with a history of this kind of FUS may respond well to strictly dietary management. Many cats do not have problems with a diet that may produce FUS in some individuals.
  • Bladder stones, may occur from struvite crystals, or be secondary to bladder infections. There are metabolic disorders (not all are understood) that result in a higher concentration of a given mineral that can remain in solution; hence stones are formed. Diet may greatly modify the concentration of a given mineral in solution in the urine. Water intake may modify the concentration of all minerals in the urine, and bacterial infection increases the risk of stone formation.
  • Anatomical abnormalities such as congenital malformations of the bladder and/or urethra (early neutering is NOT a factor) OR acquired strictures of the urethra and/or scarring of the bladder.
  • Trauma.
  • Neurolgenic problems affecting the act of urination (difficult to diagnose except at institutions capable of urethral pressure profiles)
  • Primary bacterial infection--RARE!
  • Tumors (benign/malignant)
  • Protein matrix plug (generally urethral obstruction of males); can be from non-mineral protein debris, viral-based, other causes are unknown.
  • Suspected or unknown factors include non-bacterial infections, toxins, stress, and seasonal influences.

Management of FUS
  • Obstruction of the male cat is a medical emergency. The obstruction must be relieved immediately.
  • Failure to produce a good stream of urine after relief of obstruction is indicative of urethral stricture and/or stones or matrex plugs. Failure of bladder to empty after relief of obstruction suggests bladder paralysis (usually temporary unless present prior to obstruction). In either event, a urinary catheter must be placed to allow continual urination.
  • Treatment of uremic poisoning requires IV fluid therapy with monitoring of blood levels of waste products until uremia is no longer present.
  • Permanent urethral damage with stricture, inability to dislodge a urethral obstruction, or inability to prevent recurring obstructions are all indications for perineal urethrostomy (amputation of the penis and narrow portion of the urethra to create a female-sized opening for urination). This procedure is usually effective in preventing reobstruction of the male cat, but this procedure should be a last resort
  • If FUS is indicated without obstruction, 75 to 80% of FUS cats without obstruction may be sucessfully managed by diet alone if urine reveals typical crystals and red blood cells. Unobstructed male cats or non-uremic obstructed males who have a good urine stream and bladder function after relief of an early obstruction may be managed as above initially. Cats who are symptom-free after 7 to 10 days of dietary management and who have normal follow-up urines at 21 days, may be maintained indefinitely with dietary management only.
  • DL-Methionine is often prescribed for cats with FUS. Most commonly, FUS-specific diets contain this acidifier. Antibiotics may be used. Distilled water for FUS-prone cats is often recommended as well.

Tania
03-15-2007, 06:03 AM
anyone ever run in to this particular problem? did your cat live? (apparently there is a chance that he will not).
It seems he will have to keep a diet which will allow him to live like any other cat:) Because you took measures after his first meow SOS i don't think its case for surgery.
Wishing him a fast recovery and see him playing again lively like before this FUS.:)

P.S. What kind of doctors are this which are taken the skin out from patient :? Here i went with my male tortoise for a medical exam last year - he refused to eat for 7 days- and after a 15-20 minutes consultation i wanted to pay for recipe and the doctor said i don't need to pay the consultation and he likes to see people bringing the ill animals to vet. Instead to leave them to suffer.

snakelegs
03-15-2007, 08:16 AM
thankyou for the article!
yes, it was an emergency situation because he was howling in pain and i couldn't just ignore him. it was either get him help or have him killed.
the vet kept him overnight and did the catheter thingie.
if further surgery is necessary, i think it will be out of the question financially.
should be able to bring him home tomorrow and then i should know more. i think from now on, he will be a housecat - he'll be too valuable to let loose, lol! i think he will make an ok housecat (even tho i never wanted a house cat). he is super affectionate and has learned not to jump on the table (at least when i'm around - i don't leave him alone in the kitchen). even the girl at the vet's remarked that she had never seen such a sweet cat. when you pick him up he goes limp and becomes a purr machine.
maybe i will name him rockefeller or rothschild! quite a step up from "pigeon killing monster"!
in the u.s. if a vet said no need to pay for consultation fee, i think the client would faint in shock! most vets here know very little about reptile medicine (which, as you can imagine, is very different) - but there are some that specialize in it.
things to think about when you decide to start feeding that cute little stray! i knew it was foolish....but didn't picture this scenario. grrrrrr.....

Tania
03-15-2007, 12:49 PM
in the u.s. if a vet said no need to pay for consultation fee, i think the client would faint in shock! ...
things to think about when you decide to start feeding that cute little stray! i knew it was foolish....but didn't picture this scenario. grrrrrr.....
Tell you the truth i don't like to own anyone anything. :-[ I prefer always to pay. I would not regret to feed a pet which made me the pleasure to choose me. I hope he is feeling better now.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-15-2007, 01:54 PM

The poll will be open between 15 - 18 March. You can vote even if you do not own a cat.

Re.TiReD
03-15-2007, 01:55 PM
well yeah...I would if the plant was in some way harmful for the cat....obviously cats come before plants innit...Wassalam

Umm Yoosuf
03-15-2007, 01:57 PM

i couldn't think someone who wouldn't try to remove the toxic plants to protect their cat(s) :enough!:

By the way that cat looks scary.

Tania
03-15-2007, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
By the way that cat looks scary.
:offended: Our little prince here- he had only around 9 weeks:statisfie in the picture - it was confused about the plant issue. He is scarred by the thought to live near to this dangerous plants. They are very smart cats.:statisfie

Tania
03-15-2007, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
what would be considered as stressing her?
would she get stressed if you would want to play with her?
Persian cats and stress

Could be if she just ate or try to rest. Wrong time chosen for play can disturb the cat.

From CFA
The himalayan (its a division of the persian breed) is not a hyperactive cat; that is to say, they are not moving all the time. They like to play and they are active, but they like their lap time and prefer to be doing whatever you are doing! The best way to describe colorpoint Persians is to say they are "people oriented." As I sit here writing this article I have a Himmy on my lap and another on my desk. They like their people! Himalayans will often attempt to "help" you do whatever it is that you are doing, whether it is reading the paper, making the bed or reading blueprints

snakelegs
03-17-2007, 08:06 PM
i voted no on the plants. i think cats have enough brains (unlike dogs, who will eat everything, including soap!) not to eat the toxic plants.

Tell you the truth i don't like to own anyone anything. I prefer always to pay. I would not regret to feed a pet which made me the pleasure to choose me. I hope he is feeling better now.
well, i don't like to owe anyone anything either. i don't regret adopting him - it is just that when you adopt a stray, you need to think about things like potential big fat vet bills. it cost money i really don't have - i don't regret that either (regret is pretty stupid anyway). i just hope he doesn't get it again.
anyway, he is using the litter box - he acts like he does't feel well though. but he still eats like a pig. i think he misses going out. hope he will adopt to his new life as an indoor cat - he's young (probably teenage), so that should make it easier.
one of these days i'll get someone to take a picture of him and post it. (i don't have a camera).

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-18-2007, 12:15 AM
mm i got my cats nutured. Umm but i dont have them right now cuz my cuzin jus came from Paki and she has a few month old baby. Plus she is afraid of dem >.<. So the lady that gave us the cats...she'll be holding them for a few weeks. When my mom took them to her house, they looked at her and started havin fits, like getting defensive. my mom freaked out cuz they never did that loool. the cat they were doing it too is really their sister! but they got separated early lol. the lady got them nutured and my bro went to see our cats and they started havin fits looking at us, not cuz they were angry but cuz they were in pain :(. My bro went near the little one (Gizmo) and he was licking my bros fingers and rubbing. Man i feel so horrible :(. Theyre afraid everytime we go there and are always hiding. I miss em like crazy :cry: =\ They dont like it there and they were trying to follow my bro so they could leave. :( Ahh my kitties! :(

Tania
03-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Theyre afraid everytime we go there and are always hiding. I miss em like crazy :cry: =\ They dont like it there and they were trying to follow my bro so they could leave. :( Ahh my kitties! :(
You should talk with your mom and bring back the cats immediatelly. They could loose the trust in your family because a bad experience its never forgotten. Keep the cats in your room and don't let them out where is this cousin:rollseyes. The cats are not doing anything to the children so i don't see the fuss. Whats her problem :? :rollseyes

The cats are not luggages, to leave them here and there after your mood.

Tania
03-18-2007, 05:59 AM
one of these days i'll get someone to take a picture of him and post it. (i don't have a camera).
We will wait for the pic:statisfie
You could leave him out too. In the garden. The town cats have a seven sense about how to cross the street in order don't get hit by a car. And may be he will sit only in the garden. When i will have a cat (i hope to happen until june this year:statisfie) i will let her/him out to visit the whole cats from neighborhood.

Tania
03-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Cats breed

Part XV Breed profile :Burmese :)

Origin :
In the early 1930’s, Dr. Joseph Thompson of San Francisco acquired an attractive walnut-brown female from Burma which he named Wong Mau. Through selective breeding to Siamese, it was established that the Burmese is a distinct breed.
Sable burmese:

Appearance :
Body:
Burmese carry surprising weight for their size and have often been described as “bricks wrapped in silk.” There is a range in Burmese head and body type; the more compact cats with the rounder heads are seen in the show ring. Burmese have large, expressive eyes that are great pools of innocence and seductive appeal, irresistible in effect. These eyes are their most persuasive weapon in an arsenal of endearing traits that mask an awesome power to hypnotize their owners into life-time love affairs through which they effortlessly rule their families.
Dilute burmese:

Coat:
Their coats are very short, satin-like in texture, and generally require little grooming other than daily petting.
Coat patterns:
The four colors recognized by CFA are: sable, champagne, blue and platinum.
Dilute burmese:

Personality
Burmese are extremely people-oriented; their personalities are almost dog-like in a tendency to shadow their owners and in a desire to give and receive affection. Many Burmese have delighted their “humans” by learning to retrieve. They love warm laps and caressing hands and enjoy cuddling up in bed either under the covers or on top of their favorite persons. They delight in helping to manage the house. Some of their favorite chores are assisting with paper work or reading (by sitting on top of the material), or going into cupboards (to demonstrate where things ought to be). Typically, Burmese are always with people. The females tend to request center stage and take an active role in ruling the household. :statisfie The males prefer to supervise from the lap position, are more laid back and less opinionated:X . If emotionally slighted by their owner’s obtuseness, Burmese may sulk, but, fortunately, not for long.
Dilute burmese:

[/B]
Intelligence
Burmese often convert the most anti-cat person into a Burmese enthusiast. Be forewarned! They can be addictive, and like potato chips, you may find you cannot have just one. Many people find the complete Burmese experience is to have one of each sex or perhaps two (or more) colors.
Burmese should never be let outdoors as they are entirely too trusting and have little, if any, survival instinct. Their idea of survival is to turn their soulful eyes on you to attend to all their needs. This does not work for catching food, fighting off enemies or avoiding cars.
Sable burmese:

Grooming
Require little grooming other than daily petting.

Health
Check for clear eyes and noses, clean ears and healthy-looking coats.

Source

Tania
03-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Cats breed

Part XV Breed profile :Burmese :)

They like to play with bubbles :)

sit in the safe plants garden

just walk near to an unsure garden:

scratch in the fresh morning

sleep in master favourite chair

Tania
03-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Cats breed

Part XVI Breed profile :Balinese :)

Origin :
In the 1950's when two Siamese breeders, Mrs. Marion Dorsey of Rai-Mar Cattery in California & Mrs. Helen Smith of MerryMews Cattery in New York, both found longhairs in their Siamese litters and were quite taken by their beauty. Rather than petting them out as others had done, they began line breeding to produce longhair Siamese.

It was Helen Smith who came to name these cats Balinese, because she felt that the name Long Hair Siamese did not flow well and that they greatly resembled the grace & elegance of the Balinese dancers. She was the first to exhibit Balinese in CFA & in the AOV (all other varieties) class at the Empire Cat Show in New York City.

Appearance :
In this cat everything is L-O-N-G :giggling:
Body:
  • The ideal Balinese is a svelte cat with long tapering lines, very lithe but strong & muscular. Excellent physical condition. Neither flabby or bony. Not fat. Eyes clear. Because of the longer coat, the Balinese appears to have softer lines and less extreme type than other breeds of cats with similar type.
  • The head should be shaped in a long, tapering wedge. Medium size in good proportion to the body. The total wedge starts at the nose & flares out in straight lines to the tips of the whiskers. No less than the width of an eye between the eyes. When the whiskers and face hair are smoothed back, the underlying bone structure is apparent.
  • The skull should be flat. In profile, a long straight line should be felt from the top of the head to the tip of the nose. No bulge over the eyes. No dip in the nose.
  • The ears should be strikingly large, pointed, wide at the base, continuing the lines of the wedge.
  • Almond shaped, medium size eyes. Neither protruding nor recessed. Slanted towards the nose in harmony with lines of the wedge & ears. Uncrossed, blue in varying shades, the deeper, the better.
  • Long & straight nose. A continuation of the forehead with no break.
  • Fine, wedge-shaped muzzle.
  • Graceful, long, and svelte body with a long & slender neck. A distinctive combination of fine bones & firm muscles. Shoulders and hips continue same sleek lines of tubular body. Hips never wider than shoulders. Abdomen tight. The male may be somewhat larger than the female.
  • Long and slim legs. Hind legs higher than front. In good proportion to body. Paws should be dainty, small & oval.
  • Tail should be long & thin, tapering to a fine point. Tail hair spreads out like a plume.

Coat:
Medium length coat, fine, silky without downy undercoat, lying close to the body, the coat may appear shorter than it is. Hair is longest on the tail.
Because the Balinese has a single coat, in contrast to the double coat of other longhairs, the hair lies close to the body, flowing naturally toward the rear. Thus, it does not detract from the long, slim, lines of the basic body structure.

Coat patterns:
The only point colors recognized by CFA are the same colors recognized in the pedigreed Siamese: seal point, blue point, chocolate point and lilac point.

Personality
If you are lucky enough to share your life with a Balinese, you will never be at loss for a best friend. Balinese adore their people and need to be involved with everything their person does, from working on the computer to helping you make your bed. They have extraordinarily loving temperaments & bond closely with their people. They make excellent pets & want to enjoy fun & games with the family.

If you are sad, they will weep with you, if you are sick, they will comfort you, and if you are happy, they will play with you. And play, and play!!!

[/B]
Intelligence
Balinese are highly intelligent cats & can usually train their companions to perform many tricks for their amusement. Just like Siamese, they demand lots of attention & can be very mischievous when they are bored. They love toys & will make anything into one. They love to play fetch and will carry a piece of screwed up paper back to you for hours. They also love furry mice, little balls & any catnip toy.

Grooming
Grooming is simple, for the coat does not mat like the double coat of most longhaired breeds.

Health
A good diet and plenty of exercise are essential to maintain the Bali's firm, tubular body & silky coat. The ideal Balinese body feels like steel sheathed in silk.

Source

Source

snakelegs
03-18-2007, 08:19 AM
those burmese are among the prettiest cats i've ever seen!

Tania
03-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Cats breed

Part XVI Breed profile :Balinese :)

They like to dance

walk with grace

scare the unwanted visitors which bugs the owner

are proud by their socks

Tania
03-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Cats and plants

Quiz results
The votes results shows clearly our readers opinion: better to be cautious than to be sorry.

Kittygyal
03-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Greetings.
woow this thread is still active thanks to sis Tania :), anywho the question in poll i would say NO because my cats don't eat plants at all.

i would leave this thread with a poem (God willings)

The Purr-fect Friend

I'm big and huggable, just like a teddy bear
I'm so happy I got adopted and put in their care

Before my new home, I lived on the cold streets
I really love this place, I even get treats!

No one wanted me before, since I'm a senior, you see
Yet I purr like a kitten and can still climb a tree

Please consider a pet that is older in years
We give lots of love and take away all the tears

Take care everyone, && am trying me best to pop in and out of this thread.

Tania
03-18-2007, 03:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Greetings.
woow this thread is still active thanks to sis Tania :), anywho the question in poll i would say NO because my cats don't eat plants at all.
and to bro Al Madani, sis Snakelegs, Jazzy and to our readers:) and to the sites which with a great understanding are giving us the pics and articles.

Are cats who likes the plants and cats who don't. I do have 2 tortoises which are eating different meats, sometimes the same but mostly is not.

Tania
03-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Cats and plants

Conclusions from the Internet Animal Hospital
written by veterinarians and ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center

Cardiotoxic plants: (effect the heart)
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Oleander
  • Rhododendron, azalea, rosebay
  • American, Japanese, English, and Western Yew
  • Foxglove
  • Kalanchoe
  • Mountain laurel, lambkill, calico bush
  • Dog hobble, dog laurel, fetter bush
  • Fetter bush, male berry, stagger bush
  • Fetterbush, lily-of-the-valley bush

Plants that could cause kidney failure:
  • Certain species of lilies in cats only
  • Rhubarb (Rheum species)- leaves only

Plants that could cause liver failure:

• Cycads (Cycad species)
  • Amanita phalloides- mushroom

Plants that can cause multiple effects:
  • Autumn Crocus (Colchicum species) Can cause bloody vomiting and diarrhea, shock, kidney failure, liver failure, bone marrow suppression.
  • Castor Bean (Ricinus species )

1. &#183; Usually a lag period of 48hours before signs appear
  2. &#183; Beans are highly toxic! Two to 4 beans can be lethal to adult humans!
  3. &#183; Severe gastroenteritis, oral pain and irritation increase in thirst, kidney failure, convulsions, death.

Mushrooms
  • ALWAYS assume that any ingested mushroom is highly toxic until that mushroom is identified by a mycologist. Toxic and non-toxic mushrooms can grow in same area.

Calcium Oxalate containing plants:
Some plants that contain calcium oxalate crystals in the plant cells. If the plant material is ingested, the crystals can cause oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of the oral cavity. Clinical signs seen from ingesting these plants include difficulty in swallowing, vomiting, drooling, and inappetence. The following is a list of some plants that contain calcium oxalate crystals:

• Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane)
  • Philodendron
  • Schefflera
  • Pothos
  • Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily)
  • Caladium spp (Elephan's ear)

What should pet owners do if they suspect their animal has ingested a poisonous plant? What symptoms should they look for?

If a pet owner suspects that their animal ingested a poisonous plant, they should contact their veterinarian immediately. Its advised to bring in part of the to a nursery for identification if the exact species is not known. Symptoms of poisonings can include almost any clinical sign. The animal may even appear completely normal for several hours or for days.

Is there a way for pet owners to train or teach their pets not to eat wrong plants?
There may be ways that a pet owner could train their pets to avoid certain areas of their home or yard where there are poisonous plants. However, the safest method would be to prevent exposure to the plant through removal of the plants from your pet's home and yard. For more pet poison prevention tips or to tour our "virtual poisonous plant garden", visit napcc.aspca.org.

Protect your pets life

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-18-2007, 04:57 PM
You should talk with your mom and bring back the cats immediatelly. They could loose the trust in your family because a bad experience its never forgotten. Keep the cats in your room and don't let them out where is this cousin:rollseyes. The cats are not doing anything to the children so i don't see the fuss. Whats her problem :? :rollseyes

The cats are not luggages, to leave them here and there after your mood.
The only way to keep em back in da house is too keep them in a cage most of the time...=\. my bro goes there everyday to see em. they come out when he comes. jus 2 more weeks...>.< its really not dat easy...:cry:

Tania
03-18-2007, 05:00 PM
The only way to keep em back in da house is too keep them in a cage most of the time...=\. my bro goes there everyday to see em. they come out when he comes. jus 2 more weeks...>.< its really not dat easy...:cry:
Will pass somehow and i hope they will not suffer anymore because of the cousin if she will come back in visit.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-18-2007, 05:29 PM

Poll Updated. Will remain open between 19-22 March.

jzcasejz
03-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Voted For Balinese breed!! Looks Wicked. Though The One In The Background With The Black Nose Looks Like A Pitbull :omg:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-18-2007, 06:10 PM
the burmese cat looks like he can take any dog any time any place!!!!!!!! :p

habibti4allah7
03-18-2007, 06:10 PM
i really dont like cats....isnt it harram to have pets anyway

- Qatada -
03-18-2007, 07:03 PM

It depends on what pets sister ^ cats are allowed alhamdulillah. And Allaah knows best.

Tania
03-18-2007, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
the burmese cat looks like he can take any dog any time any place!!!!!!!! :p
or just be good friends with them :)

the picture belong to the burmese cattery Typha-typhast

Tania
03-18-2007, 07:14 PM
From 19 march read about cats and weight control :exhausted

snakelegs
03-18-2007, 09:14 PM
i voted for the burmese. really, this time they are both very pretty cats. i prefer short haired cats anyway.

Khayal
03-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Voted!!

syilla
03-19-2007, 01:37 AM
or just be good friends with them :)

the picture belong to the burmese cattery Typha-typhast
:giggling: :giggling: the dog is so caring...

Kittygyal
03-19-2007, 05:01 PM
and to bro Al Madani, sis Snakelegs, Jazzy and to our readers:) and to the sites which with a great understanding are giving us the pics and articles.

Are cats who likes the plants and cats who don't. I do have 2 tortoises which are eating different meats, sometimes the same but mostly is not.
Greetings.
oh yesh indeed can't forget our ''audience'' lol love ya all take care :)
Tace care ppl

Tania
03-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Cats weight
Part I: 19 - 22 march 2007

Establishing the weight
Has our cat the right weight :? Before to take any measure we have to establish if the cat has the right weight. We could use a scale but

written by Holly Nash, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Veterinarians often use a 9 point scoring system to evaluate the body condition of pets. A point value of 1 means the cat is extremely thin to the point of emaciation. A score of 9 means the pet is grossly overweight. And like Goldilocks and the three bears, a score of 5 is 'just right.' To determine body score, there are several specific areas of the cat we look at. Remember, these are guidelines.
Very Thin
Body Score = 1
:

Thin
Body Score = 3
:

Ideal
Body Score = 5
:

Overweight
Body Score = 7
:

Obese
Body Score = 9
:

To perform the rating,
we first feel the cat's ribs. We should be able to quite easily feel the ribs. There should be a slight amount of fat over them, but each rib should be distinct. If you can see the ribs, the pet is too thin. If you can not feel them at all, the pet is very overweight.

Second, check the area near the base of the tail. There should be a slight fat covering over this area and it should feel smooth. If the bones protrude, the pet is too thin; if you can not feel any bones at all, the pet is very overweight.

Third, feel other bony prominences on the pet's body such as the spine, shoulders, and hips. Again, you should be able to feel a small amount of fat over these areas. If these bones are easily felt or visible, the cat is too thin. If you can not feel the bones beneath the layer of fat, the animal is obviously overweight.

Fourth, look at your cat from above. The animal should have a definite waist behind the ribs. If the waist is extreme, or again, bony prominences are visible, the animal is too thin. If there is no waist, or worse yet, the area between the ribs and hips is wider than the hips or ribs, the cat is grossly overweight.

Fifth, look at the cat from the side. Cats should have an abdominal tuck, i.e., the area behind the ribs should be smaller in diameter than the chest. An animal who is too thin will have a very severe abdominal tuck. Overweight animals will have no abdominal tuck.

If you feel your cat is overweight, consult your veterinarian to determine if there are any other medical problems before starting the animal on a weight reduction program. Your veterinarian can also suggest various diets, how fast your pet should lose weight, etc. (Overweight cats can become severely ill if their diet is too restricted.

Tania
03-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Cats weight

Measures: FREE CHOICE FEEDING
written by: The internet animal hospital
ASPCA
THE main reason for feline obesity (as well as obesity in other mammals) is the consumption of too much food. Deny it all you want but it is a fact.
What we do…

Free-choice feeding is also known as "ad lib" feeding or "free feeding." Food is available at all times, as much as the pet wants, whenever the pet wants. Most lactating pets are fed by the free-choice method, and free choice is an accepted method for the feeding of cats. This method is most appropriate when feeding dry food, which will not spoil if left out.
The cats, however, will overeat when fed free-choice, which can result in:

a) Obesity. If your pet eats free-choice and has put on too much weight, you will need to switch to portion-control feeding.

What we should do…
  • Feed two to four small portions daily and control the amounts fed so that over a period of time the cat does not gain weight.
  • Many pet owners must downsize what they think is a “normal” portion. A meal for a 175-pound human might weigh 16 to 24 ounces. A seven-pound cat weighs 1/25 of the 175-pound human. So a cat’s meal should proportionally be about 1/25 of a human meal. That comes out to between 0.6 and 1.0 ounce of food per meal for a seven-pound cat… about the same weight as a mouse. Cat owners must stop thinking in terms of “cups of food” and start thinking in terms of ounces of food

Tania
03-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Cats weight

Measures: EXERCISES

Regular exercise can benefit your cat, regardless of weight condition.Try this simple steps from which your cat will have a 100% benefit:
Step 1: Wake up the cat/cats:
a. Gentle talk with them:

b. Meanwhile watch carefully for the following signs:
- yawning:

- stretching:

- stretching front legs:

- stretching back legs:

If you have noticed the signs it means the cat/cats wake up. If you still see something like below, you have to repeat step 1.

Tania
03-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Cats in the news

A cat was severely punished by his owner of taking the cricket ball from a house table.

Monkey, 2 years old, from Bombay, discovered the cricket ball on the kitchen table. He told the owner he had been in a role - playing game at the time and may forgot how important is this cricket thing to his master.

During the role - playing game he forwarded the cricket ball to his two friends:
White snow:

Trixie which damaged the ball hanging it.

Angry the owner punished severely miss Trixie - we see here the poor little fur how try to calm down his hurt paw.:cry:

Two days later the case abuse was sent to the loco court.
P.S.
Trixie is feeling a little bit more better and decided to play only with ball of yarn.:X

snakelegs
03-22-2007, 08:04 AM

[/QUOTE]

these cats look a lot like my expensive ex-pigeon eating monster. the amount of white he has is in between these 2. he's sort of a longish short haired cat.
he's recovering nicely - all he wants to do is eat and sleep.

Tania
03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
these cats look a lot like my expensive ex-pigeon eating monster. the amount of white he has is in between these 2. he's sort of a longish short haired cat.
he's recovering nicely - all he wants to do is eat and sleep.
He must be handsome then:statisfie

Tania
03-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Cats breed

The second winner for this month is: (march)
The BURMESE CAT BREED

Khayal
03-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Soooooooo cute, MashaAllah!! :)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-22-2007, 04:45 PM

Poll Updated. Open between 22 - 25 March.

Mawaddah
03-22-2007, 05:00 PM
My cat Chinchau had kittens again last night!!!

And one of the kittens fur is exactly like the kitty in the poll *wub*

But it was an extremely unnerving experience for me to see her give birth imsad

I almost lost it all.........It was so weird though, I was making Pumpkin Cheese Roll and Pineapple Tarts in the kitchen whilst the cat was on the Chair giving birth.....I couldn't eat the stuff I made :-\

And the weird thing was, she refused to go into a cupboard or a box or anywehre enclosed, she insisted on giving birth right in the MIDDLE of the sitting room on my dads favorite chair!! I thought that was pretty strange since dont they always want privacy? :?

Ah well.. alhamdulillah all went well, and we have five new kitties :D

And we chose korean names for them :p

1. Lee Jun
2. Moon Sera
3. Cha Buri
4. Kimchi ;D
5. ................. Still deciding :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Tania i dont wana see the pics of my kitties :( i miss em so much :cry:

Tania
03-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Cats weight

Measures: EXERCISES

We will move to step 2 even if it seems the step 1 was not very well applied proving once again how hard is to wake up a sleeping cat :X
Video of Taylor "Ze Monsta" Lee

Step 2: Play time:
written by Catchannel
Depend of the cat character you could try one from the following workouts:
1. Use an interactive toy :

2. Slither snakelike toys up and down stairs. These toys are also great for going up and over the tops of sofas:
57 1JPGset id7 1?set id7 -
3. Set up boxes, bags and soft-sided tunnels to create an obstacle course for your interactive exercise session. If you can't find the soft-sided tunnels, make tunnels of your own by turning boxes upside down and cutting entrance and exit holes:

4. A small ball in a box works as a mini racquetball court:

5. Use your interactive toy around a tall, sturdy scratching post to encourage your cat to scratch. This causes a full stretch, which helps tone the muscles in the shoulders and back:

6. Invest in a multi-tiered cat tree so your cat can jump from one perch to the other during play. This exercise improves balance and coordination:

7. Plastic caps from milk jugs make great hockey pucks. Drop one on the kitchen floor to work on your cat's speed and coordination.

8. Don't forget to laughit'll do wonders for you emotionally and physically. Your cat will pick up on your good mood and everyone will have a good time.

Tania
03-22-2007, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah

I almost lost it all.........It was so weird though, I was making Pumpkin Cheese Roll and Pineapple Tarts in the kitchen whilst the cat was on the Chair giving birth.....I couldn't eat the stuff I made :-\

And the weird thing was, she refused to go into a cupboard or a box or anywehre enclosed, she insisted on giving birth right in the MIDDLE of the sitting room on my dads favorite chair!! I thought that was pretty strange since dont they always want privacy? :?

1. Lee Jun
2. Moon Sera
3. Cha Buri
4. Kimchi ;D
Congratulation to Chinchau.:statisfie When we will see the little 5 pumpkins :? She wants privacy but above all she wants a safe place. It seems she thought the chair is right for this:-[ You can't argue with a cat. But she didn't move her kittens from there :? They could fall from it.

snakelegs
03-22-2007, 05:34 PM
i voted controlled feedings. can't leave food sitting around anyway because ants would come. i would also go for feeding more canned food, but right now he has to be on a Special Diet and the cans the vet has are really expensive. i am looking for something cheaper, similar in content, that i can mix with the expensive stuff.

Tania
03-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Tania i dont wana see the pics of my kitties :( i miss em so much :cry:
If upset you then we will remove the pic from the quiz. If you wish that.

Tania
03-22-2007, 05:44 PM
i voted controlled feedings. can't leave food sitting around anyway because ants would come. i would also go for feeding more canned food, but right now he has to be on a Special Diet and the cans the vet has are really expensive. i am looking for something cheaper, similar in content, that i can mix with the expensive stuff.
I found once how to make in your kitchen cat food. If do you wish i can post the recipe.:-[ Similar with the canned food.

Khayal
03-22-2007, 07:52 PM

Voted!!!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-22-2007, 09:22 PM
OH. MY. GOD. My bro brought home ma kitties till tomorrow and i was SO happy!! :D:D they smell like cigs :( and they are shedding so MUCH. that lady isnt takin care of em :cry: they look unhealthy too :(
i dont wana send em back...=\

Kittygyal
03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
salamualikum.
OH MY WORDS..... :cry:
ma'assalama

Khayal
03-23-2007, 01:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah

1. Lee Jun
2. Moon Sera
3. Cha Buri
4. Kimchi ;D

I liked the name Kimchi, and you can name the 5th one CHAMCHI.............;D

Tania
03-23-2007, 04:52 AM
OH. MY. GOD. My bro brought home ma kitties till tomorrow and i was SO happy!! :D:D they smell like cigs :( and they are shedding so MUCH. that lady isnt takin care of em :cry: they look unhealthy too :(
i dont wana send em back...=\
:statisfie You have a good brother. They are a little bit stressed thats all.

Tania
03-23-2007, 04:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *ShEeBa*
I liked the name Kimchi, and you can name the 5th one CHAMCHI.............;D

The names have a meaning :? I heard about chinese names-each means something.

Khayal
03-23-2007, 05:05 AM
The names have a meaning :? I heard about chinese names-each means something.

CHAMCHI......... female spoon, ( Used as slang.;D )

Tania
03-23-2007, 05:08 AM
CHAMCHI......... female spoon, ( Used as slang.;D )
They have male and female spoons :? I must see the pics :giggling:

Khayal
03-23-2007, 05:17 AM
They have male and female spoons :? I must see the pics :giggling:
yeah I think so...:blind: I want to see too....:D

Tania
03-23-2007, 02:35 PM
yeah I think so...:blind: I want to see too....:D
I couldn't find it. I hope to see soon the little five kittens:statisfie (i called them pumpkins :-[)But the names are cute.

Tania
03-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Cats weight

CARBOHYDRATES
Written by The Internet animal hospital staff
What we do…We purchase convenient, attractively packaged and preserved dry foods mainly because we can pour it in the bowl and forget it. Dry pet food must have higher levels of flour and sugar than canned foods so that the kibble will stay uniform and not fall apart.

What we should do…Feed a diet consistent with the nature of a true carnivore… a meat based diet. An ideal feline diet will have a high protein level in the 35 to 45 percent range on a dry matter basis (meaning the percent in the diet when the water has been removed) and moderate fat content with a low percentage of carbohydrate (grains). A multitude of research reports have proven that diets high in protein and fat are most beneficial for carnivores. Cats cannot handle large carbohydrate loads efficiently. After a meal rich in carbohydrate the feline’s blood level of glucose tends to stay higher than normal for long periods of time. They become persistently hyperglycemic and this long term stimulus on the beta cells in the pancreas… the cells that produce insulin… renders those cells less sensitive to the blood glucose. As a result less insulin is secreted to bring down the blood sugar level. Nutritionists call this “down regulating’ of the beta cells; the insensitivity of the insulin secreting beta cells leads to what is termed “insulin resistance”. This scenario is a prelude to diabetes.

If you cannot give up at dry food try to respect the next formula:
"On a dry weight basis... where the percent of ingredients is determined without any water in the ration... a feline's diet should contain 35 to 45 percent protein, 40 percent fat, and possibly just a small percentage of carbohydrate. (Remember... a true carnivore needs NO carbohydrate in the diet.) Some nutritionists suggest 25% carbohydrate---50% protein---25% fat. "

queenmuslimah
03-23-2007, 04:54 PM
yay cats.............i love them but for some strange reason kind of afraid of them..........................

Tania
03-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Cats in the news

Toxin in killer pet food is used in rat poison
Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:25 PM EDT

By Holly McKenna - Reuters Canada

ALBANY, NY (Reuters) - An ingredient used in rat poison has been found in samples of Menu Foods cat food, New York State officials said on Friday. Food manufactured by the company has been blamed for the deaths of at least 14 animals.

Aminopterin, a folic acid derivative used in rat poison, was discovered in samples obtained from the Ontario-based company, New York State Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker said at a press conference. Menu Foods has recalled millions of pounds of its cuts-and-gravy wet pet food.

Use of aminopterin is forbidden in the United States because it can cause cancer and birth defects in humans as well as kidney failure in dogs and cats, the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets said.

The New York State Food Laboratory found 40 parts per million of aminopterin in the samples, but were waiting to hear from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on how safe that level was and if it came from the wheat gluten that was previously suspected of causing illnesses and deaths in pets, Department spokeswoman Jessica Chittenden said at the conference.

FDA spokeswoman Julie Zawisza said it was investigating the finding by New York authorities and planned to hold a briefing for reporters later on Friday.

The New York lab obtained the food samples from a toxicologist at the New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University, which has been testing samples to identify the cause of kidney failure in dogs and cats that consumed recalled pet food.

Cornell's College of Veterinary Medicine Dean Donald Smith said the lab would now test wet dog food for the toxin.

(Additional reporting by Lisa Richwine in Washington D.C.)

Check up the black list of pet killer foods

[invalid link removed]

Tania
03-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Cats weight

Part I: 22 - 25 march 2007

[invalid link removed]
PICTORIAL OF CAT FOODMAKING

Get out the grinder:

Assemble the supplements:

Cut up the carcass (if using chicken, remove as much skin as possible):

Muscle meat from the carcass to be cut into chunks by hand (or ground using an extra-large grinding plate) is on the left, meaty bones to be ground on the right:

Weigh correct amount of organ meats (liver and chicken heart seen here):

Now you have some "chunked" meat, plus the meaty bones and organs ready to grind. At this point, put all the meat and organs in the refrigerator until you mix up the rest of the ingredients:

Separate the eggs and add the yolks to the mix of dry ingredients and water. Mix it all together, adding the psyllium (if you're using it) last:

Whisk together the "supplement slurry." The strange bright-yellowish color comes from the B-complex and egg yolk. This mixture contains water, fresh egg yolk, salmon oil, a wee bit of kelp, a teensy bit of dulse, a glandular supplement, Vitamin E, psyllium, and B-complex. I also add some Taurine supplement to make up for possible lost Taurine in the meat and organ from freezing:

Now for the fun part. Take the meaty bones and organ meats out of the refrigerator and grind:

Add the hand-chunked meat to the ground mixture and stir well, distributing evenly:

Add the "supplement slurry" to that and mix again:

Spoon the finished wonderful cat food into containers. Do not overfill. Leave at least a 1/2 inch gap or more at the top, because the food expands when frozen and you don't want the lids popping off. That would be terrible:

Label the containers--with the type of meat and the date--and freeze:

Total time? Obviously, that depends on how fast you are. I've been making cat food for over five years now and I have the process of making a batch that lasts two cats for about two weeks down to just about exactly one hour, including cleanup, taking out the trash, etc.

Tania
03-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Cats in the news

More information on pet killer foods

[invalid link removed]

1. What exactly is covered by the Menu Foods Recall and for what timeframe?

The recall is limited to “cuts and gravy” style pet food in cans and foil pouches produced on specific dates and times between December 3, 2006, and March 6, 2007 in two of Menu’s plants. The recall affects 42 brands of cat food and 53 brands of dog food. In order to determine whether cat and dog food that your pet consumed is subject to recall, you should refer to the list of brand names on this website.

2. What should I do if I think my pet may have consumed the recalled product?

If your pet is exhibiting any signs of kidney failure please contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. Symptoms include loss of appetite, vomiting, weakness, disorientation and changes in water consumption and urination. If you suspect that you have fed the recalled pet food to your cat or dog, save any remaining pet food and the can or pouch. Open cans or pouches may be double-bagged in sealable plastic and kept in the freezer.

3. Who is going to pay my vet bills for sickness and death?

If Menu Foods product is the cause of sickness or death, Menu Foods will take responsibility. Menu has engaged a professional firm to manage your concerns and is currently contacting concerned pet owners who have reached our call center. Specific direction will be received from these individuals. Please keep copies of all your vet records and receipts for pet food purchases as well as vet bills.

4. What do I do if I have pet food that has been recalled?

Please return it to the retailer for a refund.

5. Will I be reimbursed for the food that I return to the retailer even if my pet did not get sick?

Yes, if it is a valid product that is subject to the recall.

6. How do I know if the food I bought has been recalled?

The information is contained on this website. Not all date codes are subject to recall so please fully check the information on your can or pouch. The information on the website is organized by cat or dog then by brand and description. None of the traditional “loaf” style products are subject to this recall.

7. I can’t get through to the 1-866 numbers. What is going on?

We apologize for the delay in answering every call; we were simply overwhelmed by the volume of calls. Menu has retained a series of interconnected call centers throughout North America. Even with many regional centers running simultaneously we have not been able to answer every call. As we announced in a press release on March 19, 2007, we have taken steps to significantly upgrade our call centers to handle the volume and we have added this Frequently Asked Questions (“FAQ”) section to our website to provide more information.

8. I feed my pet dry food. Is dry pet food safe?

Menu Foods only manufactures wet pet food in cans and foil pouches. Dry pet food is not part of the Menu Foods recall.

9. I’m just not sure if my dog or cat had any of the food that is being recalled. They act fine and don’t appear to have any symptoms. Should I be worried?

As always, remain alert for any changes in your pet’s health.

10. Are there other ways my pet might get sick and show similar symptoms?

Yes – antifreeze ingestion, certain rodenticides and some medications. Certain lilies have been shown to cause kidney failure if consumed by cats. Grapes have been reported to cause kidney failure in dogs and may affect cats. Physical damage from trauma and cancerous conditions can also cause kidney damage.

Tania
03-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Cats breed

Part XVII Breed profile :Siamese :)

Origin :
Siamese have fascinated folks around the world since they were first officially exported from Thailand, or as it was known then Siam, in the late eighteen hundreds. Their sleek lines, striking color contrast, finely chiseled aristocratic heads, deep blue almond eyes, and short silky coats make them living art.

Appearance :
Body:
The Siamese is a study in length. From the start the breed standard has called for a long, wedge shaped head and elongated body lines. The muscular, tubular body is supported by long legs and graced by a long neck and tail.
The long Siamese head is delineated by an absolutely straight profile and well aligned chin. From the front, the outline of the face presents a smooth wedge with large ears that complete the wedge. The outstanding feature of the head is the pair of deep blue almond eyes (an eye’s width apart) which are set at a slant. If you have been able to resist all the other attributes of this breed, the eyes will captivate you. They radiate intelligence and emotion.

Coat:
Its a short silky coats

Coat patterns:
Seal points, still the best known variety, were the first to arrive. With their seal brown, almost black extremities and their pale fawn bodies, they were sensational. While chocolate points, with creamy white bodies and milk chocolate legs, tail, mask and ears did appear from time to time, it was the blue point that gained official recognition in 1934. The blue point has a bluish-white body with slate blue points. The chocolate point was recognized next. In 1955 the lilac point followed and completed the breed. The lilac point has pinkish gray points with a white body which makes it most ethereal and delicate in color.

Personality
This ancient breed, perhaps the oldest of all our cats, is able to communicate like no other. The Siamese voice is legendary. They speak both with their voice and with their body. They are the quintessential “people” cat, for they love to be in your lap, on your bed, at your table--and in your heart!

[/B]
Intelligence
They have an acute intelligence, inquisitive personality and a loving nature.
Siamese do not tolerate isolation (or being ignored) well; they want to be a part of their owners’ lives, as they hold firmly to the belief that they are man’s best friend. (They play fetch exceedingly well, and have the distinct virtue of returning the thrown object to your lap instead of your feet!) They are in one’s lap, on one’s newspaper, in one’s bed, and completely in one’s heart. There is no better companion cat than "The Royal Cat of Siam."

A famous author once said, "A rose is a rose is a rose." It is no stretch of the truth to paraphrase Gertrude Stein by affirming: "A Siamese is a Siamese is a Siamese."

Grooming
Brushing of the Siamese must be done sparingly, as too much brushing can damaged the color of the coat. One technique for removing loose hair is to dampen your hands and rub them backwards in the cat's coat.

Health
Usual

Source
Source

starfortress
03-24-2007, 06:17 PM
I voted for excercise though it's almost impossible:blind:

Tania
03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Cats breed

Part XVII Breed profile :Siamese :)
Photos belong to: PREOSSIA Old-Style Siamese Photo Contest
What the cats can do:statisfie
Catch a bug: or at least to try

Confuse the owner with high jumps :giggling:

Play on the scratching post :

Catch the fluffy things what the owner put under cats nose:

Change the water from flowers:

Take a deserved break:

Watch after the family old dog:

Be always in fashion:(do you like the cats black paws and her red collar :?)

Help in the kitchen:

Spy from the door:

Talk when no one want to listen:

Take a bath in little water:

Travel in the car:

Tania
03-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Cats breed

Part XVIII Breed profile :Tonkinese :)

Origin :
They purred their way through seven years and four presentations to the board of directors of The Cat Fanciers’ Association in their pursuit of championship status, achieving their goal in 1984. Although new to modern competition, this is the same breed depicted in "The Cat-Book Poems of Siam" during the Ayudha Period (1358-1767), and imported to England in the early 1800s as “Chocolate Siamese.” In the United States, Tonkinese and Burmese can trace their beginnings back to Wong Mau, a small walnut colored cat imported to California by Dr. Joseph Thompson in 1930.

Appearance :
Body:
The Tonkinese blends the best features of its ancestors into one beautiful, medium-sized cat that is remarkably dense and muscular.

Coat:
Short hair with the “mink” coat pattern seen in the show ring

Coat patterns:
Tonks wear a rainbow of colors, and no matter which color in whatever coat pattern you may choose, be assured you are joining an enthusiastic fan club of admirers of this breed. You are about to embark on the most joyful experience of your life — enjoy!

Personality
The colorful personality of the Tonkinese make them ideal companions. They will take possession of your lap and shoulder, and they will supervise your activities. They are warm and loving, highly intelligent, with an incredible memory and senses that are akin to radar. They are strong willed, and their humans are wise to use persistent persuasion in training them. They are naturals at inventing and playing games, using favorite toys to play fetch, and delighting in games of tag with each other. Of course hide ‘n seek is a favorite game, which they play with humans as well as other Tonks. They become your “door greeter” and will happily entertain your guests. They have been described by enthusiastic owners as part puppy (following their owner around the house), part monkey (their “acrobatics” are legend!), and can sound like an elephant running through your house when they choose. In short: they quickly take over and run your house and your life! Their affectionate ways are impossible to ignore, and they quickly endear themselves to family and visitors.

[/B]
Intelligence
The Tonkinese is an intelligent, gregarious cat with a sense of humor. These cats are firmly convinced that humans were put on earth to love them; these are the cats that know they belong.

Grooming
Caring for Tonkinese is as easy as feeding a well-balanced feline diet, clipping their nails weekly (providing a scratching post and insisting they use it is also imperative), using a rubber brush to groom them, and of course the all important visit to the vet for check-ups and inoculations. These are indoor only cats, and a thorough inspection of your home prior to your Tonks’ arrival, to make certain screens and doors are secured, will help insure they remain indoors.

Health
Usual check ups to vet

Source

Tania
03-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Cats breed

Part XVIII Breed profile :Tonkinese :)

What can this breed to do :?

They can jump:

They can stretch:

Chit chat with other cats:

Turn on the computer:

Take a guilty expression when the master is angry:

Playing on the cat fourniture:

Just sit like a statue:

and obviously this breed can sleeeep:

Tania
03-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Cats weight
Part I: 22 - 25 march 2007

QUIZ RESULTS

Its important to combine the diet with a healthy eating in order to keep your feline friend happy.:)

In order to control the cat weight the vets recommend the following steps:
written by: THE INTERNET ANIMAL HOSPITAL
1.) Have a thorough physical exam, lab tests, and accurate weigh recorded. Be sure to rule out hypothyroidism or other metabolic disorders.
2.) Feed less food than you have been
3.) Feed foods high in protein and fat and low in carbohydrate
4.) Feed small portions at intervals (2x to 4x per day) rather than continuous free access/ free choice
5.) Increase the cat’s activity/exercise by enriching the cat’s environment
6.) Reweigh the cat at three to four week intervals to assess your weight loss diet’s progress
7.) Reconsider the total daily amount fed if weight gain or no weight loss is noted
8.) Once the cat is at an idea weight, adjust the total amount fed so that the cat’s body weight remains stable.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm happy today :D:D My bro's friend is keeping my cats at his house and he works with animals to take care of em and stuff. I'm so relieved :) He's jus gotta deal wit his grumpy grandmother :giggling: He already has 2 cats and 2 dogs in his house :omg:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Poll Updated. Open between 25 and 29 March.

Tania
03-25-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm happy today :D:D My bro's friend is keeping my cats at his house and he works with animals to take care of em and stuff. I'm so relieved :) He's jus gotta deal wit his grumpy grandmother :giggling: He already has 2 cats and 2 dogs in his house :omg:
:) In how many days they will come back at home :? Or he will be keeping them for a longer time :?

Khayal
03-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Voted!!
2nd one.....so cute....:)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-26-2007, 02:46 AM
:) In how many days they will come back at home :? Or he will be keeping them for a longer time :?
Just another week or so. But i know theyll be fine.

Mawaddah
03-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Here are the pics of my newwwwwwwwwww little kitties!!!! :D:D:D:D

One Day Old.....They just look like a fuzzy Ball :lol:

Three Days old with Their Momma Chinchau:statisfie

Isn't Chinchau soooooooo beautiful? Masha'allah :giggling:

And Here is my beloved Sesshoumaru, He was catnapped!!! :eek: :enough!: but Thankfully he came back home yesterday, I'm wondering who took him though :raging:

Okay thats all :D

Tania
03-26-2007, 02:07 PM
They are lovely and very in fashion :statisfie The first one from the 3 picture, (which is near to Chinchau head) has such a cute position.:) :giggling: i think he climb on another sister. And their little red paws and nose. The most interesting pattern of coat has the last kitten from the same picture. Look like he has small black flowers. :statisfie
They are very lovely - Chinchau must be proud at this hour.

Sesshoumaru looks very sleepy.

Tania
03-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Post-Natal Care of Your Queen and her Newborn Kittens
26 march - 27 march 2007

The room
Written by The Franny Syufy

The first two to three weeks are the most crucial for your mother cat and her newborn kittens. The kittens should be developing rapidly, and the queen will usually show symptoms of any post-partum problems by this time.
Keep momcat and her babies in a quiet part of the house; a separate room is ideal, and make sure the room is warm enough.

Chilling is one of the most critical dangers to newborn kittens. Let the mother cat set the pace for your attentions. If she is a longtime companion and resident, she may welcome your visits. A rescued stray or fostered cat may prefer that you stay away for the most part. As long as the kittens are nursing frequently and appear to be thriving, they will be okay.

Tania
03-26-2007, 05:14 PM
26 - 27 march 2007

The Nursery

Use a large enough box to comfortably hold the mother cat and her kittens.

Stack clean towels to line it.
The towels will become soiled quickly as the kittens defecate and it will be easy to remove the top towel to reveal a clean layer.

Keep the mother cat's litter box, food, and water bowls close by, and continue to feed her a high quality kitten food, supplemented with KMR.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-26-2007, 08:41 PM
MashaAllah sis, BEAUTIFUL cats..:statisfie :)

Tania
03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
26 march - 27 march 2007

Week 1: Tiny Food Processing Factories
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

A healthy kitten is firm, plump, and vigorous. Kittens nurse about every 1-2 hours. If they nurse until their stomachs appear round and they sleep quietly, they are eating enough.

If they are crying and moving a lot, they are not eating enough.

They may be swallowing air which makes the stomach appear larger. As they become weaker, they will lay still and not cry. Kittens develop a preference for which teat they nurse from within days of birth. They locate the same teat by smell. Before, during, and after nursing, the queen will lick the stomach and perineal area to stimulate urination and defecation. She will continue to do this for 2-3 weeks.

A normal kitten weighs 100 grams plus or minus 10 grams at birth. Those with weights under 90 grams at birth are more likely to die within the first days of life. The minimal weight gain should be 7-10 grams daily, although, they may lose weight slightly in the first 24 hours after birth.

Conclusion:
Although during the first week of a kitten's life he will be concentrating on feeding and growth, (he will double his birth weight this week) other physical changes are taking place which will become more apparent soon, so hold onto your hat!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-27-2007, 06:05 PM
^^AWWWWWW! :statisfie

Tania
03-27-2007, 06:25 PM
^^AWWWWWW! :statisfie
Each is cute but the black one has cute pink socks:statisfie and that slim long tail:D

Which reminds me from 29 march we will have a poll about cat fashion:statisfie

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-27-2007, 07:07 PM
^^aww cool! will wait :D

Tania
03-29-2007, 04:37 AM
Cat Fashion Days
29 march - 1 april 2007

Special occasion hats
Written by CAT PRIN

Frog transformation set which clearly make your cat to look like a frog:

Anne of Green Gables is under cleaning set which make the cat to look coquettish and cute:

The hat of a rabbit with a lining cloth with a flower pattern is very cute:

The hat of Leopard Price which make him to look wild:

Khayal
03-29-2007, 04:50 AM

Cute one!

Tania
03-29-2007, 05:03 AM
Cat Fashion Days
29 march - 1 april 2007

Other hats
Summer beret to protect her from the hot sun:

The orange cat hat: :X :rollseyes

Grandma style hat:

Long sock style hat:

Tuxedo hat :

Witch hat:

Hat with a sized pompom:

Khayal
03-29-2007, 06:05 AM
All cats are cute MashaAllaah, ..:)

Tania
03-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Cats breed

Contest results

The third winner of march and the first breed which won the whole votes of our readers is:
The TONKINESE BREED :bravo:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-29-2007, 04:12 PM
hahah, how cute :D

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-29-2007, 05:23 PM

Poll Updated. Will remain open between 29 March - 1 April.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-29-2007, 06:23 PM
i went wit the first one :)

Khayal
03-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Voted, last option!

snakelegs
03-30-2007, 07:32 AM
[MOUSE]Keep animals naked!![/MOUSE]

society for the prevention of hyper-consumerism

syilla
03-30-2007, 07:46 AM
The other day...i went to a carbooth sale.

and it sell very cute small shirt....alot of design...

and i was looking and admiring it...(though i did realise the sleeves are sewed differently that the normal shirt).

When i want to pay for it...then only did mentioned that this is for DOG NOT FOR HUMAN KID. :-[ (Realising that i'm a muslim...it is weird for them...for me to buy the shirt)

Tania
03-30-2007, 11:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
The other day...i went to a carbooth sale.

and it sell very cute small shirt....alot of design...

and i was looking and admiring it...(though i did realise the sleeves are sewed differently that the normal shirt).
We will have a beautiful collection of cat t-shirts too:statisfie

Tania
03-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Cat Fashion Days
29 march - 1 april 2007

The hood
If the cat has a sensitive throat and there is a cold weather , then can be used the hood:

a cat which is not sure if she should wear this hood:

SirZubair
03-30-2007, 11:59 AM
If the cat has a sensitive throat and there is a cold weather , then can be used the hood:

Love it! LoL!

Mawaddah
03-30-2007, 12:48 PM

My cat would go crazy if I would try to put a hat on his head!!

And I think the poor cats look depressed with those things on it's head :cry:

Tania
03-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Week 2: They are growing:statisfie

Your kitten is continuing his growth at an astonishing rate, by at least 10 grams per day.

His eyes will start to open and will be completely open at 9 to 14 days old. All kittens' eyes are blue, and will remain so for several weeks. Their vision will be blurred at first, and their pupils don't dilate and contract readily, so they should be kept from bright lights.
The kitten's sense of smell is developing, and he will even hiss at unfamiliar odors.

Tania
03-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Cat Fashion Days
29 march - 1 april 2007

The night skull cap
which brought so much happiness to the feline customers - like we can see here:

is designed to be wore with a great pajama:

Tania
03-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Cats in the news
Determination of cat tongue length using a sweet drink

Category: Too much free time:rollseyes

Written by: John M Abbott* and Michael C Abbott**
* Arup Facade Engineering, Johannesburg
** School of Physics, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg

The ... method is a novel technique for feline tongue length determination, making use of the latest advances in digital technology. It supersedes the earlier more labour-intensive "Beefy Bovril" method [1] and the "Creamy Yoghurt" method [2].

Apparatus required, in addition to the cat,is some sweet drink what the cats like and doesn't contain alcohol, a glass (not shown) and a digital camera.

The method of measurement is as follows: (1) Lightly coat the inside surface of the glass with the sweet drink.

(2) Find the cat.

(3) Offer the glass to the cat, as illustrated below.

A camera with a high frame rate [3] will help ensure a reasonable sample is obtained within the subject's attention span.

Measure the tongue.

Will continue

julie sarri
03-30-2007, 04:42 PM
:sl: we have 2 cats well he had wiskey about 8 years she is black and white then last month i was about to pray the magrib prayer when i herd a little noice from out side i couldent see any think so i went out and found a tiny kittern crying. he was cold hungry and needed water i gave it to him he was soooooo cold i put him in a blanket. when we had he had a check up he was only just 7 weeks old. and when i held him he would sleep and suck like he was still wanting his mummy. he fine now he is getting big we called him rooney and my other cat getting on ok with him but some times she still gets a bit snappey becouse she likes to sleep and he likes to play with her tail lol he so funny i am glad he came in to our life his teeth are taking a long time to all come threw the vet said that its becouse he was taken away from his mum to soon and dide'nt get all the vitemins he needed we give him kittern milk which should help. he is a lovely colour he has tiger stripes which are brown and bage and he has one white leg.it realy hurts me that some one could be so crule and throw him out in the cold it was just 2 days befor it snowed lol but he is fine now:w:

starfortress
03-30-2007, 09:52 PM
i voted the last option*

*unless my cat had a brain surgery:D .

Indigo
03-31-2007, 02:46 AM
Well, I don't have any kitties, but I have three parakeets. They are so loud though, most people would think I hate them how I talk about them...but actually I do like them! LOL Today I bought them some new toys..spent over $30, and what do they do? Play with the new seed cup:rollseyes ....I didn't even put anything in it yet!

I'd love to have a kitty, but I'm allergic!

Tania
03-31-2007, 03:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Indigo
Play with the new seed cup:rollseyes ....I didn't even put anything in it yet!

I'd love to have a kitty, but I'm allergic!
:( Cats are lovely pets. May be in time.

lol, i think they knew will be their food in it :giggling:

Tania
03-31-2007, 04:21 AM
Cat Fashion Days
29 march - 1 april 2007

The bonnet
Its stylish and designed express for cats:

A bow type bonnet:

The bird bonnet:

Scottish bonnet:

Tania
03-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Cats breed

The March finalists:statisfie

The first week winner was: The Turkish Van breed:
mother with her kitten:statisfie

The second winner was:The Burmese breed:
mother with kittens:statisfie

The third winner was: The Tonkinese breed:
sleeping kittens - shy mommy is out from picture :statisfie

Tania
03-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Cat Fashion Days
29 march - 1 april 2007

The crocheted bonnet
Especially designed for the romantic cats!
The Juliette crocheted bonnet:

Romeo crocheted bonnet:

Khayal
03-31-2007, 06:51 PM
I love this, it is so cute.......mummy n baby...:statisfie

This one is awesome too....:thumbs_up

Tania
04-01-2007, 10:16 AM
CAT FASHION DAYS - Conclusions
[MOUSE]The natural fur hat, like we can see on kittens head were appreciated by one reader :statisfie[/MOUSE]
[MOUSE]The cats are lovely in their own natural way!-11 votes[/MOUSE]
[MOUSE]If the cats health will require, only then our readers will use a type of hat - 4 votes :statisfie [/MOUSE]

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-01-2007, 05:42 PM

Poll Updated - Will remain open from April 1 - 5.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-01-2007, 08:20 PM
i pick the first one!!! very cute...:)

snakelegs
04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
i voted for the burmese......but don't anybody dare put clothes on it!!! :raging:
i like naked animals!
p.s. the tonkinese are also very pretty.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-01-2007, 09:52 PM
lol they arent naked, jus some people think animals are like humans and that they need clothes :X

snakelegs
04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
well animals, unlike most humans, look fine without clothes! and they have natural protection anyway.

[MOUSE]society to prevent hyper-consumerism[/MOUSE]

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-01-2007, 09:57 PM
^^lol exactly ;D

Tania
04-02-2007, 02:54 AM
i voted for the burmese......but don't anybody dare put clothes on it!!! :raging:
i like naked animals!
p.s. the tonkinese are also very pretty.
I think i saw somewhere dressed burmese :giggling: I have to find the pics.:rollseyes

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-02-2007, 03:54 AM
please DO! LOL! prolly looks cute..poor kittyyyy awwwww :D

Khayal
04-02-2007, 04:15 AM
Voted on the last three cuties.....:)

syilla
04-02-2007, 04:16 AM
I think i saw somewhere dressed burmese :giggling: I have to find the pics.:rollseyes
i'm trying to find it too...

post it......... post it................... :D

snakelegs
04-02-2007, 04:30 AM
grrrrrrr....... :raging:
at least They don't make clothes for snakes!.....(yet?)

syilla
04-02-2007, 04:57 AM

:giggling:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-02-2007, 05:22 AM
^^:lol: ;D

Tania
04-02-2007, 11:11 AM
grrrrrrr....... :raging:
at least They don't make clothes for snakes!.....(yet?)
Inspired by the snake suit posted by sis Syilla a volunteer snake decided to dress a sock - the only one dress made for the snake pets:statisfie
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/80500/80596DiLH_w.jpg

Tania
04-02-2007, 02:58 PM
How to take the best cat picture

The subject

Written by: Photograph from Sobi.org

There are four sorts of cats from the photographers point of view;
  • Friendly cats, that want to achieve maximum transfer of fur to your clothing.

• Scaredy cats, that have a zone of tolerance and as soon as you enter, they run away.

• Indifferent cats, that have seen it all before and are not interested in you right now.

• Hungry cats, tend to want your attention a whole lot more than normal. Note: - this is a temporary state.

There are other cat states, like dead, and asleep, fighting:

, and procreating:

, but they are not really relevant to the photographic process. Indifferent cats tend to be the ones that produce the best photos, followed by friendly ones. Scaredy cats are a waste of time trying to photograph.

The pictures were made in different countries by the author and because they were too big i resized them. Their initial location is there: Sobi.org - Syria
Sobi.org - Malvern
Sobi.org-Selcuk
Sobi.org-Tunis

Tania
04-02-2007, 03:48 PM

Rules of taking pics of outdoor cats

Written by: Photograph from Sobi.org

RULE 0 :- Always get your subject's permission / model release before starting:

RULE 1 :- Compact Point & Shoot Zooms are the devil's camera. If you must use one, turn the flash off and go outside:

RULE 2 :- Take the photo from cat height, or mouse height.

RULE 3 :- There is no point spending more than 5000 US$ on camera equipment for photographing cats,. They won't be impressed, and you won't get any better photos. The best focal length is 100-130mm (or thereabouts) - you can take big, flat shots without getting in your subject's face. I have a nikon F100 and 80-200mm AFS and they work very nicely. Or a 50mm lens allows you to drive the camera with one hand while the other is occupied entertaining the subject.

RULE 4 :- Whilst the cat is very important, a good photo becomes a great photo when you have good surroundings. I often go to picturesque places, and then start looking for cats, or trouble.

RULE 5 :- Don't bother trying to take photos inside unless you know what you are doing. And if you've read this far, then you probably don't.

- he is eating without bowl :)
Picture from : Sobi.org

snakelegs
04-02-2007, 09:18 PM
syilla,
that's ok - a person in snake clothes is fine. a snake in people clothes is not.
:giggling:
why would anybody want to put clothes on an animal???
how about nightgowns and nightcaps for rats? in fashion co-ordinated colours, of course.
i never cease to wonder at all they crap they can get people to buy!

tania,
your link didn't work - it just said "done" and nothing ever happened. but i have a feeling that it is just as well...... :D

[MOUSE]keep animals undressed![/MOUSE]
society to prevent hyper-consumerism.

syilla
04-03-2007, 02:14 AM

i think this is the picture sis Tania talking about :giggling:

*runnnnnn awayyyyyyyyy from snake with legs

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-03-2007, 02:34 AM
^^sis i cant see :X lol

snakelegs
04-03-2007, 02:42 AM
me neither. can't you see that it was not meant to be?
have mercy!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-03-2007, 02:44 AM
^^lol! ;D

Tania
04-03-2007, 02:47 AM
http://www.worth1000.com/emailthis.asp?entry=98578
May be this one :?

snakelegs
04-03-2007, 02:55 AM
fortunately, i can't make any sense out of that picture.
now i ask you to cease and desist this blasphemous concept of clothes for snakes!
if you will not behave, i will punish you by posting pictures of lovely snakes! and if i start that, there may be no stopping me.
may i remind you - this thread does have "other animals" in the title!
behave you people!!

Tania
04-03-2007, 02:59 AM
fortunately, i can't make any sense out of that picture.
now i ask you to cease and desist this blasphemous concept of clothes for snakes!
if you will not behave, i will punish you by posting pictures of lovely snakes! and if i start that, there may be no stopping me.
may i remind you - this thread does have "other animals" in the title!
behave you people!!
I can see sis Syilla picture of snake :). Its a very cute green snake with a sock on his neck-or how its called the body which follows soon after the head.
Please be ready, our readers must be ready because follows the photo contest:statisfie

syilla
04-03-2007, 03:08 AM
I can see sis Syilla picture of snake :). Its a very cute green snake with a sock on his neck-or how its called the body which follows soon after the head.
Please be ready, our readers must be ready because follows the photo contest:statisfie

Photo contest?!!!

This would be interesting... :D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-03-2007, 03:21 AM
^^indeed! :D

snakelegs
04-03-2007, 03:30 AM
nah.....we all know who would win that contest:
a bunch of mammal chauvinists!

Tania
04-03-2007, 02:05 PM

Rules of taking pics of indoor cats

Written by: Photograph from Best-family-photography-tips.com

When capturing cat portraits, one needs to take into account five key elements:
  • Planning
  • Preparing the Location
  • Photographic Requirements
  • Lighting
  • What We Euphemistically Call "Posing"

Planning

The Good, the Bad, and the Cute
Taking photographs of your kitty can be easier than you think with a little planning and patience.
As we know, cats are unpredictable. They can be shy, often moody, set in their ways, but still very cute.

Cats are feline models in front of the camera, with their natural grace and beauty.

I'm stretching here, but there is probably not one pose or position that would result in bad pictures of cats. However, to achieve outstanding photographs, 3 things are required: planning, patience and props.

Tania
04-04-2007, 03:58 AM

Props
Wonderful photographic results can easily be achieved using simple backgrounds and props.

To capture terrific cat pictures, everything imaginable should be worked out before you bring your pet to the scene.

But, realize that even if that is accomplished, things will still not go according to plan.

After all, we are working with the most independent species on the planet.

Here are some prop ideas to get your creative juices started:

• Drape a textured blanket over a recliner or couch and just wait.

-its just me or the camera was at the wrong end of cat :giggling:
  • Once a prop is identified, experiment with placing it on the floor or holding it
  • Buckets, baskets, boxes, and toy trucks are known for producing classic pictures of cats. Try to capture your cats peering over the edge of the prop

• Experiment with a single rose lying on the floor. When you shoot, make sure the flower is not in the cat's shadow, and that both the rose and cat are in focus.

Tania
04-04-2007, 03:04 PM

Patience

First decide whether you want a close-up, full-length, body part, static or action pose.
You need a lot of patience at this point. Shutter speed is critical, especially if you're attempting action shots.

Cats can move very quickly without much warning. Therefore begin with a shutter speed of at least 1/200th of a second. - I never heard before about this speed thing. The camera has only adjustement for colours and distance, no :?What kind of camera is this :?

If you're not using a flash (which is a last resort only), there may not be enough light to use a fast shutter speed. Change your ISO setting to at least 400, and go even higher if necessary, as long as digital noise is not produced.

Tania
04-04-2007, 03:10 PM

Lighting

Choices
There are four lighting choices for taking pictures of cats:
Sunlight
Flash
Artificial light
Natural, or available light.
Contrary to most beliefs, the best conditions to photograph your cat is a reasonably bright, but overcast day with natural outside light.

Cat Color & Flash

When photographs of cats are taken with some type of automatic camera setting, the flash will often pop up.
The key point to remember is to NOT use your camera's flash when taking pictures of cats. What usually happens is that your feline model winds up with "green eyes," the cat equivalent of red eyes. In addition, a flash will scare many cats.

- "red eyes"
Therefore, try to not use the flash. Either shoot outside in natural light or indoors where there is plenty of light coming in from the windows and falling on your cat. Position your cat near the window, open the blinds or drapes all the way and go for it.

Tania
04-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Cats in the news
Protest

Category: Other social issues
Thousands of cats have held a protest in London to voice support for the cat fashion clothes.

The cats were protesting against certain owners plans to abolish the fashion hats and other head covers - known like high quality pet products.

They waved banners and had colorful wigs.

The crowd leader, a respectable 4 years old Ragdoll breed cat (see image above) from Leicester said " the owners doesn't want to improve our look and see this is an alternative way to help mother nature.

At this point all eyes were appointed on a 6 month old sphiynx breed cat. (see image below).

The cat crowd protest kept until 7p.m. when the gracious cats went home to take a nap.

Tania
04-05-2007, 04:23 AM

Preparing the Location

Clean out anything that will upset, interfere with, distract, or irritate the cat. Prepare the optimum groupings of pillows, toys, yarn, and fabric remnants in preparation of prize-winning cat pictures.

If you buy fabric remnants, choose the colors to compliment your subject's eyes and other minor points.

Definitely avoid using backdrops that are the similar enough in color to a major part of the cat because you will loose edge definition between the cat and the backdrop.

As a guideline, pick fabrics with pronounced textures and avoid patterns. You want a fabric which nicely compliments your cat while not drawing attention away from them.

Tania
04-05-2007, 04:47 AM

Photographic Requirements

To avoid shooting your cat in a back-lit situation (as is shown in the above photo), position yourself between the windows and the cat.

Avoid shooting your cat while positioned in front of a window. If this happens, you will wind up with a very nice silhouette of your fabulous feline, without being able to see any of their features.

If you can arrange things so that there is enough natural light, refrain from taking any pictures of cats with a flash unless your cat is black.

An attached flash will often cause red-eye (actually "green eye") while a remote flash (not attached to the camera) will bring out the texture and shading of a black cat.

A white or light toned feline will generally reflect enough light in most indoor areas under normal room light conditions. A medium gray or calico may reflect enough light to get some good pictures of cats.

Tania
04-05-2007, 05:02 AM

What We Euphemistically Call "Posing"

Photographing a cat can be a real challenge. As independent cats know, there is no point to sit still for a camera. And posing… forget about it!
In fact, given the opportunity, they’ll try to run away and hide under the bed until the camera is put away. (How they know when the camera is gone, and therefore safe to come back out is beyond explanation.)

If this happens to you, don’t get discouraged or frustrated. We have some tips that will help to produce pictures of cats that you'll be very happy with.

Given enough time and patience, you will capture many terrific cat pictures. However, unlike people and other pets such as dogs, you almost need to be ready, camera in hand, with the location perfectly set up already.

Then you train the camera on your cat and wait for opportunity to present itself. Also, some of the best pictures are when a cat is in their favorite spot, just relaxing.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2007, 05:34 AM
OH. I got my cats back few days ago :statisfie :p

- Qatada -
04-05-2007, 11:11 AM

I got a rep a few days back, and sis Tania said:

We are inviting you thursday for a men talk about cats behaviour

Do we have to discuss cats behaviour or something? :)

Tania
04-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Cats breed

The March cat breed winner
IS:
THE TURKISH VAN

Tania
04-05-2007, 11:26 AM

Is Any Cat Posing Possible?

Yes, there are ways, but prepare to do a lot of trial and error work. One thing that works is to set the camera on a tripod with a cable release.
Then, use one of your cat's favorite toys that is at least 10 inches long, such as a feather on a stick.

Get the cat's attention and then pull back the toy toward the camera and behind it out of the frame. Then take the cat picture. Your goal is to get the cat really focused on the toy. To capture pictures of cats with really penetrating stares, get the cat's attention while the toy is several inches behind the camera

Tania
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

I got a rep a few days back, and sis Tania said:

Do we have to discuss cats behaviour or something? :)
Yes later :) we want a honest opinion related to scratching cats.

- Qatada -
04-05-2007, 11:52 AM

I think getting a scratching post for the cats is good for them because that way they don't scratch the furniture, you need that especially when they're big.. otherwise you'll get scratched alot and bleed.

Pk_#2
04-05-2007, 12:23 PM
oh yeah we neded one, buh couldnt be bothered so she used the sofa :o|

I lov dat turkish breed cat its sooooooooooooooo cute mashaAllah

Ohh i wana cat!

AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Poll Updated. Will remain open between 5-8 April.

- Qatada -
04-05-2007, 05:23 PM

I would do nothing lol, in the past when i used to see cats - i thought they were strange. But since we've had some now, i wouldn't want to harm it.. even if it scratched the car, because the cat never had a bad intention and they're innocent.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
;D who put my kitty in dere looool :p

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2007, 05:37 PM

I think getting a scratching post for the cats is good for them because that way they don't scratch the furniture, you need that especially when they're big.. otherwise you'll get scratched alot and bleed.
i need to get one for my cats! they like been trying to rip up my carpet:enough!: :raging: lol

Why is it jus "men" talk about cat behavior:? :giggling:

Tania
04-05-2007, 08:16 PM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

Cats and cars bonnet

• Part I: The car bonnet maintenance - scratches
  • Part II: Cats paw
  • Part III: Its dangerous or not their small pleasure(sleeping on cars bonnet)
  • Part IV: Scratching repellants

Part I: The car bonnet maintenance:X

Warm engines, a better view over the neighborhood, a sunny place..all this attract the cat on the car bonnet.

Can her innocent attraction toward cars bonnet make damages :?
Usually are only muddy paw prints on the bonnet but sometimes few scratches can be observed. But what happen when the owner of the car observe certain type of scratch :? (in the next part we will explain why this scratches not happen often)

He will try to remove them, after how its explained below:

In order to remove these scratches, you will need to remove enough paint surrounding the scratches in order to make the surface level. As you can see in this example, removing the scratches will require removing quite a bit of paint material, and in the case of the deep key scratch (where the arrow is pointing), you will not be able to completely remove it without exposing the base, or color coat of paint. This is a situation where you are better off improving the scratch, not completely removing the scratch.

Off course, when he is not able to remove the scratches, he will pay for it.

Source for car thing
The picture of cat was resized

- Qatada -
04-05-2007, 08:40 PM

Yeah ^ i noticed on rainy days cats usually sleep under the cars because the engines are warm.. but sometimes they can get burnt aswell because a person might switch the engine on, and the cat might be asleep right next to it..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2007, 10:19 PM
At how old do u guys let your cats out...? There maybe 5 or 6 months old now but havent let em out yet lol. Actually if we open the door, they freak out and try to run back inside, which in the process they scratch you. Not on purpose though, jus trying to run off. I wouldnt do anything to the cat per se...jus maybe get it fixed and not let the cat near the car anymore :raging:

Tania
04-06-2007, 02:53 AM
i need to get one for my cats! they like been trying to rip up my carpet:enough!: :raging: lol

Why is it jus "men" talk about cat behavior:? :giggling:
Your kitty explains to Sesshoumaru how big was his last scratch. You see how its keeping his small paws.

Its a men talk because only them could be annoyed by a car - cat scratch. The women even would not noticed.:) But until now the bro are keeping the cats side, which is not so bad.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Pshhh, if a cat messed up ma car, id hate it too :-[ lol

Tania
04-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Pshhh, if a cat messed up ma car, id hate it too :-[ lol
:offended: What would do then to cat :? Its only an expression, right - that hate.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-06-2007, 03:04 AM
ok ill say dislike :giggling: i could never hurt an animal ever...so id jus get angry. but they dont know any better, so why get furious right? i think lol.

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 03:07 AM
i voted the last one, but the truth is that i have never had a car.
actually, i think it would be hard for a cat to scratch a car.
i have a question: does anyone know how common cat leukemia is? i am wondering if i absolutely have to get those shots - i think they'll be expensive because first you have to have the cat tested to make sure he doesn't already have it. i know if i ask the vet, he'll say yes.
so, is it as big a worry as cat distemper?

Tania
04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

Cats and cars bonnet

• Part I: The car bonnet maintenance - scratches
  • Part II: Cats paw
  • Part III: Its dangerous or not their small pleasure(sleeping on cars bonnet)
  • Part IV: Scratching repellants

Part II: Cats paw

I think my neighbor's cat is getting a bit too comfortable with my car, which lately has been serving as a makeshift Kitty Throne says Lorianne in her article from this site. Yesterday I caught one of Tara's house-mates in the act of using Miss Bling as a virtual heating pad, arching and curling to get the heat of her cooling engine on just the right furry spots.-so sweet and her expression shows how content she is sitting there:statisfie :

As you can see from her expression, Kitty wasn't too happy to have me shooing her away to reclaim my wheels:

Reading this short article we can realise Lorianne was not affraid about scratches because she knows the kitty paws structure.

Cats, like dogs, are digitigrades: they walk directly on their toes, the bones of their feet making up the lower part of the visible leg. Cats are capable of walking very precisely, because like all felines they directly register; that is, they place each hind paw (almost) directly in the print of the corresponding forepaw, minimizing noise and visible tracks. This also provides sure footing for their hind paws when they navigate rough terrain.

Like all members of family felidae, with the exception of the cheetah, cats have retractable claws. In their normal, relaxed position the claws are sheathed with the skin and fur around the toe pads. This keeps the claws sharp by preventing wear from contact with the ground and allows the silent stalking of prey.

- paw with claws relaxed.
The claws on the forefeet are typically sharper than those on the hind feet. Cats can extend their claws voluntarily on one or more paws at will. Cats may extend their claws in hunting or self-defense, climbing, "kneading", or for extra traction on soft surfaces (bedspreads, thick rugs, their owners etc.). The curved claws may become entangled in carpet or thick fabric, which may cause injury if the cat is unable to free itself.

Source

Tania
04-06-2007, 06:35 PM
CATS AT VETS

Feline leukemia

What it is :?
  • The feline leukemia virus is one of the most serious and deadly infectious diseases that affects cats. It is caused by a retrovirus, which incorporates its genetic material into the cat’s DNA, allowing the virus to survive long term in the victim. Once in the cat, the virus can bring about several different scenarios, including transforming once healthy cells into malignant cancer cells.

The virus can also prevent the bone marrow from producing red blood cells and the cat can become severely anemic as a result. These types of symptoms is what makes the disease similar to the leukemia that affects humans.
  • However, once a cat begins showing symptoms of the disease, treatment becomes futile. Cats deteriorate very quickly once the virus sets in and the ultimate end is death. There is no cure for feline leukemia.

Who is mostly affected :?
Young kittens are affected the most if they test positive for the virus. Kittens over four months of age and adults seem to be less prone to the disease and tend to have a strong, natural resistance to it. There are some infected cats that can live for many years harboring the virus as feline leukemia differs from cat to cat, depending on age, overall immunity and even the specific strain of the virus infecting that particular cat.

Who should get shots :?
Vaccination against the disease is recommended only for cats with lifestyles that place them at risk. Stray, outdoor and indoor/outdoor cats should definitely be vaccinated as they could come across another cat in their travels who is leukemia positive. Cats who live with a leukemia positive cat should also be vaccinated.

Indoor cats with no chance of exposure to other cats are unlikely to become infected. - so if a cat will be not exposed to other cats then she can remain without shots.

Are 100% the cats protected against the leukemia :?

I need to mention as an aside that the vaccine does not fully protect your cat against infection. Cats at risk should be vaccinated as kittens, then given a booster shot three weeks later followed by a yearly shot. There is still a chance after doing everything right, that your cat could become infected with feline leukemia. There are no sure things in life. All we can do is do our best to cover all the bases of proper kitty care. -

It is very hard for people who take in strays and already have cats to find out their new pet tests positive for the virus. It makes it even harder because the test is not 100% positive and one is faced with many choices.

CONCLUSIONS:
written by : Race Foster, DVM
Marty Smith, DVM
Holly Nash, DVM, MS
Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

• Component: Feline Leukemia
  • Class Efficacy:Core for all cats that live outside full or part time, or those living full time inside but with exposure to outside cats
  • Length of Immunity:Variable
  • Risk/Severity of Adverse:Revaccinate annually
  • Effects:Vaccine-related sarcomas can develop
  • Comments:Vaccination not recommended for cats with minimal or no risk, especially after 4 months of age; blood test prior to vaccination

snakelegs
04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
thank you tania! :statisfie

starfortress
04-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I will do nothing,i think it's can be categorized as part of natural disaster:?

Tania
04-07-2007, 04:36 AM
The next question for every car fans is:
What you will do if you will find a cat in this position exactly when you need the car:?

• a.wake up her
  • b.take the buss because the car is already taken
  • c.other - and specify exactly please.

- Qatada -
04-07-2007, 10:16 AM

C. lol i would tap the car bonnet so the cat knows i'm there, and once it knows that someones staring at it, it would probably run off.

Tania
04-07-2007, 11:55 AM

C. lol i would tap the car bonnet so the cat knows i'm there, and once it knows that someones staring at it, it would probably run off.
Ohh you will not leave her to finish her nap. I think you really need the car.

Pk_#2
04-07-2007, 12:07 PM
aww let the cat nap!!

Like the prophet (pbuh) did, not on the car Heh but on his prayer mat

*Aww*

Peace :p

Sister_6038
04-07-2007, 12:48 PM
asalaams ok deadly serious question here....i have a crazy phobia of cats....reason being that i had one thrown at me as a child....and i accidently stepped on one....*ok so it should be the cat thats scared and not me*....

and right people i dont want you all to therein report me to the rspca...these incidents were traumatising enough for me....

but thing is...when i see a cat less than a metre away i jump...and being the giant i am...thats not a pleasant sight

and im not joking but there's this cat that has sensed my fear and she goes out of her way to indulge in this everyday on my way to work!!

and just to let you know...i havent forgotten the question...but seriously how do i get rid of it...not the cat...

Tania
04-07-2007, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
asalaams ok deadly serious question here....i have a crazy phobia of cats
written by Fiona Hill
What are the effects of having a phobia?

People will try to avoid the situation or object that triggers their phobia, as far as possible. This is easier for some than for others. To what extent their life is affected will depend on the nature and severity of the phobia.

Someone with a phobia of cats might not want to touch one; another might not tolerate being in the same room, a third might be unwilling to see a picture of the animal. It's even possible for just the mental image of a cat to cause terror, in severe cases. This presents huge difficulties.

What can I do about it?

Many people don't seek professional help for phobias, but develop coping strategies and self-help techniques themselves. (See What can I do to help myself? further down.) Alternatively, you could visit your GP, who can also refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist, so you can find out what treatment might work for you. Or you might prefer to find your own therapist or source of help. There is no right or wrong way to feel or thing to do. Different things work for different people.

Talking treatments

There are different kinds of talking treatments, including counselling, psychotherapy, and cognitive behaviour therapy. Getting these treatments on the NHS may depend on where you live. It might be available through your GP surgery, or he or she may be able to refer you for treatment.

You could also find your own therapist or source of help. (For more information, see Useful organisations, further down.)

Counselling provides support, usually on a once-a-week basis, helping people deal with specific problems. Psychotherapy tends to be quite a long-term and in-depth talking treatment, with the focus on helping people find and deal with the causes of their distress, as well as developing their own coping strategies.Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) identifies connections between people's thoughts, feelings and behaviour, and develops practical skills to manage them. This has proved very useful to those who experience the symptoms associated with phobias.

Behaviour therapy

Psychologists can offer behaviour therapy, which is a practical form of treatment that gives you practice in facing your fears. It's also known as exposure therapy or desensitisation, because it involves being exposed to whatever you most fear, very gradually, in order to reduce your anxiety. There is a suggestion that a combination of behaviour therapy and appropriate medication can be beneficial.

What help can I get in the community?

If your GP refers you to psychiatric services in England and Wales, you should have your needs assessed and care planned within the Care Programme Approach (CPA), or its equivalent. This should provide you with an assessment of your social and health care needs, a care plan, a care coordinator and a regular review. You are entitled to say what your needs are and to have an advocate to speak for you, if you want one. This assessment might also include the needs of carers and relatives.

What can I do to help myself?

There is no one way of coping with phobias that is guaranteed to work. Different strategies work for different people. Some people might prefer to work on their own self-help programme, while others prefer to get involved in self-help groups or to work with a psychologist, psychiatrist or therapist within an agreed treatment plan – or to do a combination.

Self-help programmes

You can choose to work to your own programme, which could includes cognitive behaviour therapy techniques. The organisations and the books listed below should be able to help you devise one to suit. You could work the programme on your own, with someone close to you or with a careworker, if appropriate, or you could involve a therapist.

Tania
04-07-2007, 04:38 PM

Photo contest April 2007

Rules

• You have to photograph a cat sleeping in her favourite freestyle slumberland position. Are accepted pictures showing your own cats/kittens or which belong to someone else.
  • The readers which are not attracted by a camera are invited to submitt web sites pictures of the sleeping cats.
  • For each picture must be specified if was taken by you or submitted from a site
  • Respect the rules posted on pages 79-81 to get a professional picture of a sleeping cat
  • Are accepted pictures taken in or out the house
  • We will automatically reject any pictures where it appears the cat is being forcibly kept in a sleeping position or the image was edited.
  • - altered face image of the kitten
  • Its strictly forbidden to alter the cat face or body position. Let the cat personality to can be seen. Bro Al Madani will check up the pictures technically.
  • One reader can submitt more pictures.There is no limit.

The best picture

Will be voted by our readers for each of the following sections:
  1. best picture of your own sleeping cat
  2. best picture of a sleeping cat
  3. best picture taken from sites.

Also the votes will be added to the jury votes. For the moment the jury was not establish so who would like to take part from it please post it.:-[

Let the best picture to win:statisfie

Tania
04-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Photo contest April 2007

Category: pictures from the net:
a. Never let your friend to go:

b.Divorced cats:

c. Curled Huey:

Tania
04-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Cats breed

Part XIX Breed profile :Siberian:)

Origin :
Recorded history shows that the Siberian breed has been around for at least one thousand years. They were first mentioned in Harrison Wier's book Our Cats and all About Them, which included information about one of the earliest cat shows held in England in 1871. However, finding written information in Russia is fairly difficult. Despite the fact that the Siberian is a natural breed and is the national cat of Russia, its very ubiquity makes it taken for granted rather than worthy of note in Russian literature.

Appearance :
Body:
The body is medium in length, and well muscled with the back arched slightly higher than the shoulders, with a barrel-shaped, firm belly giving the sensation of solid weight.

Coat:
This is a moderately long to longhaired cat with a TRIPLE coat. The hair on the shoulder blades and lower part of the chest should be thick and slightly shorter. There should be an abundant full collar ruff setting off the head in adults. Allow for warm weather coats. The hair may thicken to curls on the belly and britches, but a wavy coat is not characteristic.
Coat patterns:
The Siberian can come in just about every color of the rainbow but because of the rarity of the breed those colors may not be available in your neighborhood

Personality
The Siberian tends to be both a great problem solver and also, rather like dogs, are loyal to their adopted families which is why they are so well suited to the households in which one spouse, usually a husband or significant other, professes to be a "dog person" not a "cat person." Often it is that same "dog person" who is greeted at the door by their Siberian and after being dutifully followed around the house by their Siberian, then decides that one Siberian is simply not enough! Siberians are extremely agile and can leap great distances and heights to "fly through the air with the greatest of ease!" However, their agility also means they usually navigate potentially breakable brick-a-brac without leaving a path of destruction in their wake.

[/B]
Intelligence
Expect the unexpected when sharing your home with a Siberian.

Grooming
Siberians tend to be self-grooming meaning that they remain relatively tangle-free, though males can and do get 'knotty' in the springtime if not combed daily. Shedding very little. They molt twice a year. The molting period is about 10 days.

Health
Currently, there are no known health problems specifically associated to the Siberian. The Siberian cat is considered to be one of the hardiest and healthiest cats bred today.

These longhaired beauties are hypo-allergenic due to a protein that is lacking in their system and which often is the source of allergies with other cat breeds.

Source
Source
Pictures

Tania
04-08-2007, 04:08 PM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

Cats and cars bonnet

Part III: Its dangerous or not their small pleasure(sleeping on or under cars bonnet)

Happy ending story: Kitten survives car nap injuries

Black Jack had curled up to sleep under the bonnet of her neighbour's car in Poole, Dorset, in November last year.

When the unsuspecting driver started the engine in the morning most of her lower abdomen got caught.

The seven-month-old cat was rushed to the vet and underwent a series of operations and had about 80 stitches, spending eight days in intensive care.

Apart from her abdominal injuries, Black Jack's Achilles tendon was also severed and she lost a considerable amount of muscle tissue.

She was cared for by the PDSA PetAid hospital in Bournemouth, before being allowed home.

Happy ending story: Puss in boot

Well, under the bonnet to be precise.

A cat has used up one of its nine lives by travelling 262 miles under the bonnet of a car.

Aslan's adventures began after he curled up to take a nap inside owner Hannah Fisher's neighbour's car.
And he went unnoticed by driver Rob Hollier who made the journey from his Ipswich home to Maestag, Mid Glamorgan oblivious to his uninvited stowaway.
Rob discovered Aslan when the hungry puss began mewing the next morning.
"There was not a scratch on him. We couldn't believe it," said Mr Hillier.
Aslan has now been reunited with his relieved owner.

Is every cat so lucky like those from this stories :?

No, they have a price to pay for their freedom. "Consider the "free" cat who, on a cold winter day seeks warmth, so it climbs under the hood of a car and nestles next to the warm engine. The car suddenly starts, entangling the cat in the fan belt assembly, ripping flesh and breaking bones. "Still they can be hit by or killed by moving cars and "their remains ground into the pavement so badly it is often impossible to distinguish breed or gender. And moving cars are not the only hazard. "

What can be done by every driver :?
It is a good idea to knock on the hood of the vehicle or blow the horn (if it is not too disruptive to the neighborhood)before starting your car or truck. In this way each cat which take his nap would have a chance to save herself before the engine would be turned on.

Tania
04-09-2007, 09:03 AM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

Cats and cars bonnet

Part IV: Cat Repellants - Electronic cat deterrents

How do they work?
Most electronic deterrents work by emitting an ultrasonic alarm triggered by a motion sensor. The key to it is that the sound is inaudible to humans, but cats, with their better hearing, will be startled and frightened away by the sound. Although the sound the cat hears is an effective deterrent it is in fact harmless to both them and other animals.

One from the many products:
CatStop Ultrasonic Cat Deterrent

It's easy to use. Place the unit facing the area you want to protect. The built-in motion sensor detects the animal entering the area and emits a piercing, high decibel alarm. It startles the cat and frightens it away. Since the sound is ultrasonic you and your neighbors cannot hear it. It operates for up to nine months on one standard 9 volt battery. [Battery life estimate is based upon 4900 activations spread over 245 days at an average of 20 per day.]

Customer opinion which used the product:
Happily, since mounting the Cat Stop unit on the ceiling of our carport, cats paw tracks have become a thing of the past. We mounted the CatStop so that it is aimed down at an angle from the middle of the cars roof towards the radiator - the sensor "looks" at the windshield and hood. During the last few years the almost daily "surprise" of dirt (mud in wet weather) across the hood, up the windshield and over the roof had become increasingly annoying. ..We never touch the Cat Stop; it's always left turned on and mounted in it's position above where we park and it does it's job of chasing the cats without any further action on our parts. Someday we will have to replace the battery, but not yet and the price of the unit and batteries is more than worth the results; no applying and removing covers each time we use the car and washing them when they became too dirty. We can even wash the car and have it stay clean for more than an overnight. " I. Thomson
Source
Source

If you are annoyed by cats on cars better try to use the deterrents which will not harm the cat at all:)

Tania
04-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Cats breed

Part XX Breed profile :American bobtail:)

Origin :
The history of the American Bobtail dates back to the late 1960s. When a short-tailed stray was found in Arizona and brought home. This cat was from unknown parentage. This cat mated with a sealpoint Siamese female and some of the kittens had the short tails. This proved that the bobbed tail was a dominant gene. This cats and his offspring were then mated with different breeds including the Ragdolls. Birmans. Himalayans. and Siamese. This new breed was called American Bobtail
The American Bobtail can proudly claim the title “Born in the USA.”

Appearance :
Body:
The American Bobtail is a medium-to-large, naturally occurring, bobtailed cat; a noticeably athletic animal, well muscled, with the appearance of power. The tail should be clearly visible above the back when the cat is alert and is not to exceed the hock in length. The optimum tail is articulate and nearly straight with the slightest of curves. The American Bobtail cat possesses a strong, broad modified wedge-shaped head, with a distinctive brow above large almost almond shaped eyes giving it a natural hunting gaze.

Coat:
The American Bobtail can be shorthair or longhair. The shorthair American Bobtail has a coat that is semi-dense and medium in length. It has a double coat and is non-matting. The longhair American Bobtail has a coat that is slight shaggy and medium to long in length. It has a double coat and is resilient.

Coat patterns:
Any genetically possible color or combination of colors is allowed. Preference shall be given to colors and patterns that enhance the natural wild appearance of the breed. High rufusing is desirable in all tabbies, including silvers, with no penalty for lack thereof. Body patterns highly desirable in lynx points and smokes.

Personality
American Bobtails bond with their family. They get along well with most dogs and have a welcome spot in their hearts for newcomers, whether they are twolegged or four-legged. Long haul truck drivers have purchased them as cabin companions because they are known to be good travelers if introduced to it at a young age. Psychotherapists have also used them in their treatment programs because they have been found to be very well-behaved and sensitive to people in distress.

They are excellent companions for children and do not mind being carried around like a sack of potatoes. They interact well with people of all ages and serve a great purpose in the family home as a major source of entertainment due to their clown like personalities. They also offer a warm, soft shoulder to cry on when needed. They are known for their love of games and can play fetch or hide and seek for hours on end. They will often initiate a game and can be very persistent until you play with them. They are basically quiet cats in voice, however they do trill, chirp and click when delighted. They are easily leash-trained and love to go for walks. Not technically thieves, the American Bobtail’s love of shiny objects makes it necessary to keep jewelry boxes closed and even locked.

[/B]
Intelligence
American Bobtails are a loving, kind and incredibly intelligent cats. They are noted for their dog like personalities and their devotion to their owners. They easily adapt to a busy or quiet environment.

Grooming
The shorthaired American Bobtails is relatively simple to maintain. Grooming at least once a week is recommended to remove dead hairs. The longhaired American Bobtails do require some extra grooming. A thorough combing is recommended two to three times

Health
Some Bobtails have no tails whatsoever. These "rumpies" are prone to health problems due to their shortened spines.

Source
Source
Source

- Qatada -
04-09-2007, 01:09 PM

Maasha Allaah. its well cute how they're all looking up.

Tania
04-09-2007, 02:56 PM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

Cats and cars bonnet

Conclusions

Our poll analysis shows clearly that the cats well being is the top priority for the LI readers. From the 13 votes only one reader would consider to take action against the other cat owner but if he is not found then even this reader would never consider to take any action against the gracious feline hobby. Because the car is used for work and other activities the Li readers agreed to wake up the cat from her nap. It may be necessary, then, to tap the bonnet but without to shout or hit the cat. Clearly, the cat is an animal which cannot be held responsable for what she is doing.

Tania
04-09-2007, 03:35 PM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

10 HUMAN HABITS THAT DRIVE CATS C-R-A-Z-Y!

Introduction

Everything seems harmonious in your home until you get that look. That steady stare, that glowing glare, that do-you-mind look of disbelief and disgust . . . from your cat.

Often without releasing a single meow, your cat conveys her displeasure in your lack of pet etiquette. Most times, feline housemates "tolerate" your follies and faux pas. But cats are candid creatures. They don't mask their feelings. They don't shrug off mistakes. From their vantage point, we often seem to try too hard * or not hard enough * to cater to their wants and needs. After all, we're only human.

Certain human habits can unleash frustration in felines. To help identify them, Catnip turned to two cat experts: Alice Moon-Fanelli, PhD, a certified applied animal behaviorist at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine and John C. Wright, PhD, a certified applied animal behaviorist and professor of psychology at Mercer University in Macon, Georgia.

Tania
04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

Tossing and turning in bed

Annoying human habits::raging:

Cats, the Rip Van Winkles of the companion animal world, can sleep 15 hours or more a day. One of their true life's joys is to snooze uninterrupted through the night curled up on your bedspread. That tranquility can be destroyed when you shift feet or flip from one body position to another under the sheets. As a consequence, your cat becomes nudged, shoved, or even worse, airborne. If would be as if someone roust you awake from a deep slumber by leaping up and down on your mattress. No wonder your cat reacts by toe pouncing or biting.

"Generally, cats that get upset by your movement in bed tend to be ones that startle easily," says Dr. Moon-Fanelli. "Also, cats instinctively want to attack things that move * like feet under a bedspread."

Solution: :)
Sleep on your back and don't move a muscle. Or, more realistically, provide a cat bed in your bedroom or leave your door open for them to leave. If necessary, protect your toes by wearing thick socks.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Poll Updated - Open till Thursday April 12th.

Al_Imaan
04-09-2007, 04:50 PM
awwww....its hard to choose...they're both adorable....but i chose the American bobtail....it looks more fluffy...:D

Tania
04-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Ohh i just got by message system :

Tania
04-10-2007, 09:37 AM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

Tardy feedings

285802628 a8568d7bc4 1?v1162395393 - waiting for the breakfast in the kitchen - the owner is still sleeping
Your alarm clock blares at 6 a.m. Five minutes tick off, then 10 and still no movement by you to get out of bed. Impatience swells inside your tail-thumping, hungry cat. More minutes pass and you still haven't made a move toward the cat bowl.

another hungry cat
"Cats are creatures of habit," says Dr. Moon-Fanelli. "They want to be fed at regular hours. If you get up and immediately feed your cat every morning, she gets into a routine and starts to expect to be fed within minutes of you waking up. When you miss the feeding schedule * or delay it, you can have one really upset cat."

Solution:
Stick with a regular feeding schedule that you can realistically maintain. For those times when you can't be home to open and serve some canned food, consider getting a timer dish that keeps the canned food chilled and ready for on-time servings. Or, enlist the help of a friend, relative or pet sitter to step in as surrogate chef for your hungry cat.

Kittygyal
04-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Ohh i just got by message system :

Greetings.

:)

Take Care

Tania
04-10-2007, 01:31 PM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

Forced affection

It is easy to be guilty of committing this major cat sin. For many cat lovers who return home after a business trip, vacation, or simply a long workday, they tend to burst through the door, chase down their cats and engage in a big group hug. :giggling:-what a cat aproach No surprise that your cats react by wiggling free and racing away. Once you calm down and sit on the sofa, magically, your cats will slowly approach and greet you on their own terms.

"The more you try to force affection on your cats, the less they want to give you," says Dr. Moon-Fanelli. "Not all cats are lap cats or want to be held tightly and cuddled. Being overly affection can actually drive your cats from you. Play hard to get * in other words, act more like a cat, pretend not to care * and your cats will seek you out for attention and affection."

Solution:

Dr. Moon-Fanelli recommends that you let the two animals get to know each other initially by smell. Keep them in separate rooms and run a shirt or towel over both coats to exchange scents. Then, let them view one another from a distance. Cats are territorial, so make sure that the new pet has its own possessions * do not force them to share a bowl, toys or litter boxes.

Tania
04-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Photo contest April 2007

Category: pictures from the net:
a.Asleep on thorns: - i think its some natural massage

syilla
04-11-2007, 04:27 AM
has the photo contest started yet?

Tania
04-11-2007, 04:57 AM
has the photo contest started yet?
Yes, it started and the rules are here:Link
We are waiting for your pictures.:statisfie

Tania
04-11-2007, 05:40 PM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

The carrier, the car, the veterinary clinic

These Three C's of Concern can cause panic in some cats. Unlike dogs, cats prefer to be homebodies.

"We don't travel with our cats like we do with our dogs and usually the only time cats are in crates are when they must go someplace unpleasant * like a visit to the veterinary clinic," says Dr. Moon-Fanelli. "Also, many cats suffer from motion sickness." - are so sensitive

Solution: Convert your carrier from a place to avoid to a place of comfort for your cat. Select a model that is truly the cat's meow * cushy and well ventilated with a comfy towel or bedding inside. Leave it out and open in your house so your cat views it as no big deal. Entice the crate's cat appeal by placing treats and toys inside and placing it in one of your cat's favorite napping spots. Then get your cat accustomed to car rides gradually. During the ride, tune the car radio to a jazz or blues station at a low volume. Also, try to avoid any sudden, jarring stops.

- Qatada -
04-11-2007, 05:51 PM

I miss our shadow.. i remember this time 4years ago (subhan Allah time goes fast!) he was only 4weeks old.. and he was only a kitten.. but then we gave him to a female vet to keep because we had to go abroad. And i wonder what he's doing right now..

Tania
04-11-2007, 05:59 PM
CATS BEHAVIOUR

Adopting another cat or a dog

It's truly a cat's life * until the day you come home cradling another cat or kitten * or worse, a D-O-G. The notion of sharing the home with another pet can cause many a cat to spit up a hairball or rip up the sofa arm in protest.

"Introducing a new pet can really aggravate some cats," says Dr. Moon-Fanelli. "People tend to select cats primarily because they like the cat's looks and color instead of selecting based on a cat's personality."

i like her face expression and how they look in different directions :giggling:

- Qatada -
04-11-2007, 06:02 PM

I think if you want more than one cat, then you should get them together when they're kittens.. that way they can play with each other and grow up together.

But if you do that - then they might not play with you as much as they do with the other one.

Tania
04-11-2007, 06:03 PM

I miss our shadow.. i remember this time 4years ago (subhan Allah time goes fast!) he was only 4weeks old.. and he was only a kitten.. but then we gave him to a female vet to keep because we had to go abroad. And i wonder what he's doing right now..
I am sure she looked well after him. The vets are caring people, would never hurt an animal. Even at home they have lot of pets. If she didn't find a good owner for the cat then she must have kept him. :)

Tania
04-11-2007, 06:06 PM

I think if you want more than one cat, then you should get them together when they're kittens.. that way they can play with each other and grow up together.

But if you do that - then they might not play with you as much as they do with the other one.
Thats so true. Even Jazzy kittens are understanding so well with each other because are brothers. Also, if the cat is free then she could find another cat and bring it at home. I think sis Snakelegs got in this way 3 cats.:statisfie Free meals - 3 cats - and may be will be more in time because the news travel fast in neighbourhood.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
^^Lol, I dont think they'd like another cat round them sis. Cuz when we had to give up our kittens for a while, the lady who gave it to us, she had the sister cat. When they saw each other, they were nothing but offensive towards one another lol. She's a mix of Gizmo and Angel. Such a pretty cat wow. The dark spot on her forehead is shaped like a crown. Looks hot lol.

Also, to be honest, I don't know which option to pick! They're both cute :statisfie You seem to have gotten me stuck :embarrass lol.

syilla
04-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Yes, it started and the rules are here:Link
We are waiting for your pictures.:statisfie

sorry...i don't have any digital camera... but i'll try using someone's mobile phone. lol

don't wait for me :-[

Tania
04-12-2007, 04:13 AM
sorry...i don't have any digital camera... but i'll try using someone's mobile phone. lol

don't wait for me :-[
Then you can post pictures of sleeping cats from net. :) If you find cute pics post them and the readers will vote for them.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.