/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question of the Week

جوري
07-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Identify the organ from which this biopsy was taken but not the disease... 19 rep point for correct answer! if you can spot what is wrong with it, then you get two bonus points!

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
saira-k
07-01-2007, 08:20 PM
emm lungs? lol

جوري
07-01-2007, 08:21 PM
what makes you say that sis? I need some beef in my sandwitch =)

saira-k
07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
lol i have no idea..was just a gues..am i wrong?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
07-01-2007, 08:28 PM
here is another clue-- this one is healthy and not diseased

I will let you know if you are correct insh'Allah once I get more answers....

lyesh
07-01-2007, 08:34 PM
brain? :-[

saira-k
07-01-2007, 08:35 PM
was i right b4? is the next one a brain?

saira-k
07-01-2007, 08:36 PM
o right i jus saw ur response lol k

جوري
07-01-2007, 08:39 PM
you both have to head south! :smile:

lyesh
07-01-2007, 08:41 PM
loool... heart? :p

جوري
07-01-2007, 08:47 PM
lol come on now--I'll give another clue.. heading to and fro that convoluted mass is an efferent and and afferent arteriole... can't get easier than this =)

saira-k
07-02-2007, 12:32 PM
heart??

smile
07-02-2007, 01:10 PM
liver?

جوري
07-02-2007, 01:51 PM
come on you guys have to do some research, I gave you really good clues.. practically a give away.. this is what the heart looks like under the microscope

it is made of smooth muscle fibers

this is different cross sections stained with Hemotoxin & Eosin -- things are usually stained with different dyes for lots of reasons which are unimportant now--- since I want to take this from a basic anatomy point of view ( admittedly more difficult) since it is microscopic... but I think all of you guys have used a microscope no?

muzna
07-02-2007, 02:07 PM
glomerulus in the bowman's capsule of a nephron of the kidney?

جوري
07-02-2007, 02:08 PM
You are da bomb... reps for you =)

vpb
07-02-2007, 02:11 PM
come onn , not biology :p

muzna
07-02-2007, 02:12 PM
thanks..i couldnt really tell from the slide..but the clue of afferent and efferent arterioles gave it away..plus the second pic of the capillary network..
what's wrong with it though? looks like inconsistent congregations in the capillaries?

جوري
07-02-2007, 02:14 PM
it ain't bio.. it is pathology =) --well no one took a stab at the disease and I am not expecting anyone too.... =)

جوري
07-02-2007, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna
thanks..i couldnt really tell from the slide..but the clue of afferent and efferent arterioles gave it away..plus the second pic of the capillary network..
what's wrong with it though? looks like inconsistent congregations in the capillaries?
well the one you looked at is healthy, the very first slide is of membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis... I really wasn't expecting anyone to come up with that unless an actual pathologist, most people even medical students whose knowledge of path is still fresh, can't recognize a slide without a case history.... but whoaa if someone had gotten that?... sobhan Allah, it would have been very humbling ...

muzna
07-02-2007, 02:20 PM
well..i wouldnt have guessed it was glomerulonephritis..i'm supposed to be doing patho this year, but i'm on french leave at home in Sri Lanka..:D

جوري
07-02-2007, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna
well..i wouldnt have guessed it was glomerulonephritis..i'm supposed to be doing patho this year, but i'm on french leave at home in Sri Lanka..:D
when you do it insha'allah.. I hope you get a great preceptor... and learn all you can.. patho is combining art with science... just a really amazing subject :)

vpb
07-02-2007, 02:49 PM
it ain't bio.. it is pathology =) --well no one took a stab at the disease and I am not expecting anyone too.... =)
well I don't want to be pathetic lol.

just post an easier one. like,
"How many lungs does a person have". sort of this.

BanGuLLy
07-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I HATE BIOLOGY/CHEMISTRY :raging:

Abdul-Raouf
07-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Toooooo difficult.... to find

muzna
07-02-2007, 03:07 PM
chem is the easiest thing in the world once you grasp the initial concepts..
bio..boring...
histopath..not very excited about

جوري
07-02-2007, 04:04 PM
^^^it can be very exciting if you have someone really willing to teach you.. unfortunately there aren't many people like that... teaching in and of itself is a very noble profession -- Anyhow, if I posted an easy Q of the week, what would be the fun in that? come on admit it... you want to be challenged!...

vpb
07-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Anyhow, if I posted an easy Q of the week, what would be the fun in that? come on admit it... you want to be challenged!...
i mean look at the answer:

glomerulus in the bowman's capsule of a nephron of the kidney?

muzna
07-02-2007, 04:14 PM
that's actually 10th grade bio knowledge..not very advanced

vpb
07-02-2007, 04:20 PM
that's actually 10th grade bio knowledge..not very advanced
yeah, after 4-5 years of learning biology , u forget things, and especially when u learn it in different language.

and btw, do u study medicine or u'r still in high school?

جوري
07-02-2007, 04:20 PM
^^ agreed.. the actual answer to the Q is — Membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis (MPGN; also called mesangiocapillary or lobular glomerulonephritis)
of which there are three types... that is a long shot from simply identifying the slide, considering the clues given... but admittedly not everyone is into slides... I just wanted to give you guys a varied variety from the usual...
we'll come up with something different next time insha'Allah

vpb
07-02-2007, 04:29 PM
^^ agreed.. the actual answer to the Q is — Membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis (MPGN; also called mesangiocapillary or lobular glomerulonephritis)
of which there are three types... that is a long shot from simply identifying the slide, considering the clues given... but admittedly not everyone is into slides... I just wanted to give you guys a varied variety from the usual...
we'll come up with something different next time insha'Allah
how about if we make, question of the week in different fields,

just 5th grade questions, cuz the 10th grade ones are very hard :p ;D;D

جوري
07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
sure akhi whatever you like... I don't have dibs on the Q of the week... anyone can/should come up with one... I need to take a hiatus from the forum and it would be nice if members would continue with health and science questions....

muzna
07-02-2007, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
yeah, after 4-5 years of learning biology , u forget things, and especially when u learn it in different language.

and btw, do u study medicine or u'r still in high school?
i study medicine, but i remember drawing diagrams of the nephron with the glomerulus, bowman's capsule, afferent and efferent arterioles and the convoluted tubules and loop of henle in my OL bio exam..

muzna
07-02-2007, 05:05 PM
thanks for the reps everyone..(blush)
may Allah reward you

vpb
07-02-2007, 05:07 PM
i study medicine, but i remember drawing diagrams of the nephron with the glomerulus, bowman's capsule, afferent and efferent arterioles and the convoluted tubules and loop of henle in my OL bio exam..
lol, I study in computers field, and I remember everything from 9th grade about computer hardware parts ...lolll ;D;D;D

muzna
07-02-2007, 05:14 PM
yeah..thats understandable

computing...I CANT STAND THAT SUBJECT..i couldnt wait to drop it in grade 9..

vpb
07-02-2007, 05:15 PM
computing...I CANT STAND THAT SUBJECT..i couldnt wait to drop it in grade 9..
but I hope if I ask u a 10th grade question about computers, you would remember it. :)

so same with me, I can;t stand biology, apart from brain. so there is no will for me to have remembered anything from 9th/10th grade. :)

Ummu Sufyaan
09-23-2007, 06:14 AM
:sl:
hey sis PA, you got anymore of them. they're cool.
:sl:

جوري
09-23-2007, 06:26 AM
I am not sure people enjoyed them all that much? every Q of the week I posted, someone wanted it, in a different field :lol:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.