/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Time Value of Money versus Riba

dilkadr
07-04-2007, 12:09 PM
:sl: Dear Friends,

There is a concept of Time Value of Money in the field of Financial Management.

Can anyone tell is it Riba or Not?

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
07-04-2007, 12:53 PM
:sl:

Are you talking about adjusting the value of money based on inflation rates and all that stuff? Like if you take a loan of $500 and a few years later you need to pay it back as about $510 because of inflation? (For example)

If so, the majority of scholar have rules that this is indeed riba. However some scholars hold that it is permissible.

That is about all I know on the matter. Allah knows best!

dilkadr
07-04-2007, 04:06 PM

Yes! I am talking about the same thing as you mentioned in the example.

I need to know the criterion?

Surely, Allah Knows Best

:wasalamex

E'jaazi
07-05-2007, 07:26 AM
I am interested in knowing also. If someone finds out, please post and send me a PM. Shukran!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
07-05-2007, 07:36 AM

I don't know much about it. It is something I am trying to get more information about. I know a shaykh in my area said it is permissible, but he is too busy to be able to explain why at the moment. He said he will explain later.

But here are some things relating to why it is haram:

http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...&main_cat_id=5

And from the alkuathar student forums:

Assalamualiakum,

As we mentioned in class:

1. Any repayments that are indexed payments, indexed to the Consumer price index etc.. are not allowed by the majority of the scholars and is considered riba.

2. The definitive proof that shows that student loans are in fact riba repackaged is that the indexation is applied annually just like a conventional riba loan. If it was the proper indexation which a minority of the scholars of Islam allowed, then the indexation should only be able at the end - on the day of repayment of the loan, not annually such that the indexation is compounded.

3. The the indexation is applied in inflation, not in deflation and as a result, the indexation is more in resemblance with riba.

Wallahu alim.

Abu Yusuf

http://forums.alkauthar.org/showthread.php?t=1376

dilkadr
07-05-2007, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I don't know much about it. It is something I am trying to get more information about. I know a shaykh in my area said it is permissible, but he is too busy to be able to explain why at the moment. He said he will explain later.

But here are some things relating to why it is haram:

http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...&main_cat_id=5

And from the alkuathar student forums:
Assalamualiakum,

As we mentioned in class:

1. Any repayments that are indexed payments, indexed to the Consumer price index etc.. are not allowed by the majority of the scholars and is considered riba.

2. The definitive proof that shows that student loans are in fact riba repackaged is that the indexation is applied annually just like a conventional riba loan. If it was the proper indexation which a minority of the scholars of Islam allowed, then the indexation should only be able at the end - on the day of repayment of the loan, not annually such that the indexation is compounded.

3. The the indexation is applied in inflation, not in deflation and as a result, the indexation is more in resemblance with riba.

Wallahu alim.

Abu Yusuf
http://forums.alkauthar.org/showthread.php?t=1376
Thanks for the help,
Can you provide more details on the concept of indexation

Malaikah
07-06-2007, 03:45 AM

Sorry, I don't even really know what it is.

dilkadr
07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the kind postings.

May Allah Help all of us...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.