/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is being a Muslim good for your health?

Pork Scratching
07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
All that moaning and groaning about how oppressed you all are, surely it must be a religion that gives you depression and a multitude of other related illnesses.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
07-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Speaking for myself I find it to be a source of great comfort and joy. We do know how to appreciate the true pleasures of life Allah(swt) has given to us and we accept our life as a learning experience and trial to achieve eternal happiness.

Sorry to hear that your personal sadness makes it difficult for you to not see the joy and beauty in that which you do not understand.

Pygoscelis
07-09-2007, 04:17 PM
MODS: If you are going to censor posts you disagree with, delete the post. Don't edit the text to make it look like people are saying what they are not.

* text of post deleted and replaced with this message.

ranma1/2
07-10-2007, 06:05 AM
id say religion in general can offer a gener al pla cebo effect.
it can allow some people to relax and not wo rry.
i do not know of any actual benefits that no n reli gions individuals cant also reap.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
07-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Even though the person who started the thread clearer did not have the intention of starting a real discussion... there seems to be one emerging from this thread anyway.

i do not know of any actual benefits that no n reli gions individuals cant also reap.
Why do you type like that? :?It is hard to read...

There is a tranquillity and piece of mind that comes with it that I doubt non-religious people would be able to find. And that is the additional strength at the face of calamity, knowing that Allah swt will reward you greatly for your patience in facing this hardship and that He has promised that with every hardship comes ease.

AmarFaisal
07-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I am proud being a Muslim, Alhamdulillahi Rabi 'Alameen.

THis thread led me to ask a very intresting question often raised by non beleivers at us. My friends often said that in Kuwait (or Muslims all over) are so religious that when we go to hospitals, the doctors leave the extreme cases saying "Pray to Allah". (these include ppl in last stages of their lives due to cancer or likewise diseases).
They'd say that it seems that the doctors leave hope pretty soon as compared to the doctors in, for eg., US (most of my friends are from US). Who, they say, tried till the last moment to save their patients n many a times brought them back from death (when the heart beat stops of a person for a few seconds, in some cases minutes, and then is brought back).

Malaikah
07-10-2007, 10:03 AM
:sl:

That is interesting... although not entirely Islamic, is it? We are meant to do everything with in our power before we stop and leave it up to Allah.

Keltoi
07-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I think it has been established that prayer does help in the healing process. I don't think the issue is whether it is a Muslim, Christian, or Jewish prayer, but the fact that religious belief is a comfort and can help with health and healing.

Pygoscelis
07-10-2007, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I think it has been established that prayer does help in the healing process. I don't think the issue is whether it is a Muslim, Christian, or Jewish prayer, but the fact that religious belief is a comfort and can help with health and healing.
Religious belief can be a comfort tool. But it can also be a source of stress.

Woodrow
07-10-2007, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Religious belief can be a comfort tool. But it can also be a source of stress.
remember not all stress is bad. There is a difference between Eustress and distress.

Eustress: Good stress, helps us in improving our performance

Distress: When stress gets out of hand, it becomes distress, one, which will bring out our vulnerability and weakness.

This underlines the fact that a certain amount of stress is indeed necessary for optimum performance by an individual
Source: http://www.fortunecity.com/business/...esscauses4.htm

ranma1/2
07-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Source? Ill show you mine if you show me yours.... ;)

One recent accepted study showed that prayer acctually hurt those prayed for.

Keltoi
07-10-2007, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
Source? Ill show you mine if you show me yours.... ;)

One recent accepted study showed that prayer acctually hurt those prayed for.

Are you referring to the recent Rueters study? The problem with that study is that it asked participants to pray in any way they wished, but to make sure they prayed for complete recovery without complications. There is also the problem of attempting to measure the immeasurable. Do I believe that everyone who prays gets some instant health benefit? Of course not. Prayer does not produce a Santa type character that zooms down and instantly heals the sick. I do believe that people take comfort in their faith during tough times, and I've seen the benefit with my own eyes. Faith can and does give one strength. However, you are probably right in that scientific studies or polls probably aren't going to measure this or come to a solid conclusion.

Pygoscelis
07-11-2007, 12:25 AM
It makes sense that prayer would help. It is usually in the form of positive thinking. And positive thinking is helpful in putting ones mind at ease.

ranma1/2
07-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Are you referring to the recent Rueters study? The problem with that study is that it asked participants to pray in any way they wished, but to make sure they prayed for complete recovery without complications. There is also the problem of attempting to measure the immeasurable. Do I believe that everyone who prays gets some instant health benefit? Of course not. Prayer does not produce a Santa type character that zooms down and instantly heals the sick. I do believe that people take comfort in their faith during tough times, and I've seen the benefit with my own eyes. Faith can and does give one strength. However, you are probably right in that scientific studies or polls probably aren't going to measure this or come to a solid conclusion.
so it sounds like you agree that the only benefits are psycological ?

Keltoi
07-11-2007, 01:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
so it sounds like you agree that the only benefits are psycological ?
Considers what you mean by "only psychological". I have prayed for someone to stay alive only to see them die, and I have prayed for someone to stay alive and watched them walk out of the hospital. In general, I believe that prayer can give people the mental strength to deal with many of life's curveballs. I don't know what God's plan is for individuals, and I don't know what decides whether one lives or dies, but I would say that prayer is an important psychological phenomena, but whether that is all in one's head or not I suppose would be a matter of perspective.

north_malaysian
07-11-2007, 01:55 AM
When I go to the mosque, I feel very calm.... I dont know why?

Maybe because the mosque has a wide area with no chairs and stuff..... It's like sitting on a field.....and nobody bother you.... it just between you and the Creator....:)

جوري
07-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Pork Scratching is a self-professed "One Post Wonder" which makes me in turn wonder, why his post is still open? I wish I can invent a crappy product and reap the benefit from the first few chumps who call my 800 number and not give them anything for the money... sigh
:w:

snakelegs
07-12-2007, 01:25 AM
must have a lot of pigs to scratch. ;D

جوري
07-12-2007, 01:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
you are too hilarious ;D ;D .. I have read two very funny posts today thus far, which I am actually rather grateful for, I was getting dispirited.. :mmokay:
:w:

north_malaysian
07-12-2007, 02:38 AM
Yeah... unfortunately pigs cant scratch themselves..... their legs are too short.

Muslim Knight
07-12-2007, 02:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Yeah... unfortunately pigs cant scratch themselves..... their legs are too short.
Pigs are nasty. I've read stories about people who sleep in the barn with their beloved pigs only to end up being nibbled and chewed on their fingers and ears.

What I don't understand about people who left the fold of Islam is their statement about Islam being oppressive and all. I mean, the only oppressive thing about Islam is that it doesn't allow me to defecate while running naked around my village. How oppressive is that!! ~sarcasm~

snakelegs
07-12-2007, 02:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
Pigs are nasty. I've read stories about people who sleep in the barn with their beloved pigs only to end up being nibbled and chewed on their fingers and ears.

What I don't understand about people who left the fold of Islam is their statement about Islam being oppressive and all. I mean, the only oppressive thing about Islam is that it doesn't allow me to defecate while running naked around my village. How oppressive is that!! ~sarcasm~
you are oppressed - you have no pigs to scratch, so you must find something better to fill in your spare time. :giggling:

Muslim Knight
07-12-2007, 03:01 AM
you are oppressed - you have no pigs to scratch, so you must find something better to fill in your spare time. :giggling:
snakelegs, you're as funny as a horse with a broken leg. LOLs

Woodrow
07-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Do I detect humor being injected into this thread. I must find my handy rule book that states that it is forbidden to make make grouchy mods laugh.

If I can remember where I left that rule book you guys are in big trouble. I know the rule has something to do with blatantly causing me to smile.

ratzafratz I smiled and my face cracked.

Go ahead and have fun for the next 15 minutes. It will take me that long to remember how to close a thread.

advance warning this thread will be closed at 2:38 CST

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.