/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Abu Lahab

Ummah
07-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Asalaamualaikum

just wanted to clarify something...

Abu Lahab was the Prophet's (pbuh) father's brother, right?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
07-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Wa alaykum as salaam,

Na'am, Abu Lahab was the Prophet's Uncle. Son of Abdul Muttalib.

Ummah
07-10-2007, 09:11 PM
okay na'am means yes (thank you arabic lessons on islamicboard!)

someone said he wasnt a blood relative, but rather just termed an 'uncle' because he had responsibility over Him due to Him (pbuh) being an orphan..that why i got confused...

jazakhillah sis!

...another question

does that mean Abu Lahab was Syed? or am i going off the tracks now?

amirah_87
07-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Lol yeah it means yes. Wa iyyaaki.

Abu Lahab was syed? Syed of what? I doubt he was Syed sis, He was amongst the enemies of Islaam is all I know Wallaahu A'lam (and Allah knows best).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummah
07-10-2007, 09:16 PM
okay this is where i get really confused. maybe i dont know what Syed means exactly.

isnt Syed a family name? so like anyone related to the Prophet (pbuh) from the fathers side is Syed?

Or does the Syed family tree only begin with the Prophet pbuh himself?

amirah_87
07-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Syed in arabic Carries two meanings;

It's either translated as leader/Master.

It comes from the verb "Saada-Yasuudu" which means to rule, govern (someone or something).

Like The Prophet salallaahu a'lam is known as a Syed, He mentions in a Hadeeth "Ana sayyid walad Bani Aadam yawmul qiyaamah wa laa fakhar.." I am Master of the Children of Banii Aadam..

It also carries another meaning like the one you last mentioned "Title of Muhammed's direct descendants.."

Wallaahu a'lam, please correct me if I may be wrong ppl.

Ummah
07-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Jazakhillah sis ive never had someone explain that to me

ohh.. so the family name aspect of it doesnt apply to direct ascendants?

amirah_87
07-10-2007, 09:46 PM
From what I know, Nope. :)

Wallaahu a'lam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.