/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question of the week

جوري
07-11-2007, 01:39 AM
What is the diagnosis? typical presentation is an elderly male with lower back pain

this would be described by the pathologist as a perinuclear hoff

this one is on peripheral smear

would be described as rouleaux formation

and on x-ray

this would be described as punched out lytic lesion..
make the DX and tell me about the disease

thank you.. as usual 20pts rep points to first person who gets it correct =)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
07-11-2007, 01:54 AM
some form of cancer? I think lytic lesions are caused by a disease process like cancer.

جوري
07-11-2007, 01:56 AM
yes yes you are hot.. but be more specific though ...
very good by the way...you are headed in the right direction...

muzna
07-11-2007, 05:10 AM
i would say a bleeding disorder, say haemophilia..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
07-11-2007, 06:11 PM
well... in Hemophilia, you would be taking a blood test and coagulation factors but not a peripheral smear, or X-ray.. they would have more cartillage problems with blood spilling into the joints on minor trauma called hemarthrosis... but you wouldn't be getting the above findings... I have given really good clues by the way, and Keltoi was headed in the right direction... think more ca. than a bleeding disorder...
thank you by the way for participating
:w:

muzna
07-12-2007, 03:29 AM
is it a myeloma?

جوري
07-12-2007, 03:47 AM
kudos and reps for you.. it is Multiple myeloma, which is a cancer of the plasma cell....

muzna
07-12-2007, 04:01 AM
that was hard..thanks..
keep the questions coming..i think i'm learning more med from sis ambrosia than from med school..
:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.