/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Turkey, here i come!!!

lamya
07-12-2007, 05:41 PM
:sl: everyone!!
I am going to Turkey for two weeks inshallah, soooo I wanted to know if anybody has ever been there or lives there and can give me useful information , or name a website giving a good guide around Turkey.

The really exciting and worthwhile places to visit, anything about food, drinks e.t.c.

Will be staying in Kusadasi too, so any places there worth viviting or actiivties to do.

I want to get soveneirs(not sure if thats how u spell!) so what kind should I get???

PLEASE PLEASE dooooo have a look at this thread and reply!!
Anything interesting u know about turkey or it could be anything horrible too, lol.:p
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ummAbdillah
07-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Asalamu Alaykum, sister sorry i have'nt been there. But i ask Allah
to make you jurney a safe one. take care sis!
ma salaama

islamirama
07-12-2007, 05:49 PM
wa'alaikum as'salaam

The Turkish people have an unrivalled reputation for hospitality, the cuisine is to die for, the coastline is a dream, and many Turkish cities are dotted with spectacular mosques and castles. And while costs are rising, Turkey remains one of the Mediterranean's bargain-basement destinations.

Spring and autumn are the best times to visit, since the climate will be perfect in İstanbul and on the Aegean and Mediterranean coasts. It will be cool in central Anatolia, but not unpleasantly so. Visiting before mid-June or after August may also help you avoid mosquitoes. The Black Sea coast is best visited between April and September; there will still be rain but not so much of it. With the exception of İstanbul, Turkey doesn't really have a winter tourism season. Places catering to backpackers usually see Anzac Day as the official start of the season; those catering to package holiday-makers get going in early May. Peak season is from July to mid-September, when most Turks take their holidays. The best time to visit eastern Turkey is from late June to September. Don't plan to venture east before May or after mid-October unless you're prepared for snow. Try to avoid travelling during Kurban Bayramı, Turkey's most popular public holiday.

Oh and they have hijab ban also, versy secular extremists in power there.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldgui.../europe/turkey

lamya
07-12-2007, 05:54 PM
A hijab ban? which parts? I take niqab so is that going to be a problem? Another thing there must be hijabi people wandering about, rite and what about niqaabis? Does anyone know?

And jazakallah for the replies

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamirama
07-12-2007, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lamya
A hijab ban? which parts? I take niqab so is that going to be a problem? Another thing there must be hijabi people wandering about, rite and what about niqaabis? Does anyone know?

And jazakallah for the replies
well if you are a niqabi then that could be an issue. Its best you check with someone who already is living there. Why would you want to go to a secular nation that is bending backwards and over to please the europeans to get into their UN? Malaysia is a 1000 times better, islamic and cheaper.

snakelegs
07-12-2007, 06:10 PM
the hijab is only banned in schools and gov't offices as far as i know. (they have a sort of religious brand of secularism, backed by the military.
i have a pakistani friend who visited turkey a few years ago - he mainly visited the eastern parts. he reported that there are few tourists there and it is very beautiful.
be aware though that lately there is more and more threat that turkey may invade iraq - it's been reported that they are massing troops on the border. (this has to do with the kurds).
have a great trip!

islamirama
07-12-2007, 06:18 PM
The hijab ban in Turkey is not enshrined in law but is enforced by the secular state through various mechanisms and organisations used to pressurise civilians and civil organisations. Since 1997’s ‘postmodern coup d’etat’, the military have defined popular Islam as an internal threat to the secularist ideal of Ataturk. Universities were given the choice of prohibiting women wearing hijab from attending classes or losing recognition of their qualifications through disaffiliation to the government body YOK.

Many thousands of students were unable to graduate or were forced to leave the country to complete their studies. The hijab ban extends into schools, affecting teachers and pupils; as well as into the workplace, where there is a strict dress code for official employees. There has been a case of refusal of medical treatment to a woman wearing the scarf. Men too have suffered, as judges, soldiers, academic and government officials have received official warnings that they will have their employment terminated if their family members do not alter their style of dress to conform to ‘modern’ secular ideas. Three quarters of the population is against the banning of the hijab in universities and for public officials.

http://www.prohijab.net/english/turkey-hijab-news.htm

-----------------

Hijab Ban in Turkey - Personal Accounts

http://www.islamicawakening.com/view...?articleID=172

guyabano
07-12-2007, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
bending backwards
First, they try to bend forward, for a better world.
Second, I hope they will not, because they are not ready yet for such a change.

format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
europeans to get into their UN?
FYI, it is EU, not UN !

Turkey is a nice place to visit, very friendly people. Just be aware to know some of their laws, else you might find yourself quickly back in jail.
Nice beaches, good climate, it's very beautiful. Istambul is a must see !

islamirama
07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
First, they try to bend forward, for a better world.
Second, I hope they will not, because they are not ready yet for such a change.
There is no better world when you are denying your citizens their basic right to belief. Read this

Hijab Ban in Turkey - Personal Accounts

http://www.islamicawakening.com/view...?articleID=172

FYI, it is EU, not UN !

Turkey is a nice place to visit, very friendly people. Just be aware to know some of their laws, else you might find yourself quickly back in jail.
Nice beaches, good climate, it's very beautiful. Istambul is a must see !
Yea i meant EU, thanks.

*~Sofia~*
07-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Salam sis

wow ur goin turkey then? thats wiked.. i've always wanted to go there :)
ive done a search on the net and came up with a few sites where people recommend sites to visit etc.

check them out...

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...BR-1.html#tips

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/236ba/bde/4/

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...things_to_do-i

here is a site which shows some artefacts/belongings which belonged to the prophet (saw). some of them are in a museum in turkey. that wud be realllly wiked if u cud go to this museum :D (Topkapy Museum, Turkey)

http://islamicsupremecouncil.com/tab...tabarrukat.htm

anyway sister, have a great time in turkey, i wish u a safe and enjoyable journey :)

wasalam.
x

p.s sorry i cant give u any other information seeing as i havnt been there yet! :X

cyber-rose
07-13-2007, 01:40 PM
my brothers and sisters hanginiz Türksünüz ya benim ingilizce zayıf yardım edin

Gulyarasi
07-13-2007, 10:02 PM
assalam aleykum
sister maybe I can help you ..
Im a turkısh sıster ...
niqab or hijab just baned in schools .. not for normal life..

take a look at ths page insh.
http://www.kultur.gov.tr/
http://www.goturkey.com/

smile
07-15-2007, 02:15 PM
It is hot there right now!

Places to go!

pamukkale
bursa
fethiye
the souks
the pazars <<< must go
the mosques

you have to taste!

the simit
ayran
baclava
pismaniye
lokum
shawirma

جوري
07-17-2007, 02:56 PM
:s:
does anyone know what aslam benim mean? someone posted that to a Quranic translation I put up, I didn't know if it were thanks or an insult?
thank you

Grace Seeker
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
My daughter and several friends live there. Istanbul is not just a must, but several days there are a must. Beyond Istanbul, you have many good suggestions already. It all depends on if you are interested in culture, history, nature, or what. If you are going during the summer, be prepared for extreme heat. But going up into central Anatolia is a good solution to the heat. Lots of wonderful places in the mountains. The road from Istanbul to Ankara will take you through some of the best areas for mountain retreats. Say, "Hi" to my daughter for my as you pass through Duzce.

As far as the hijab ban. You can wear your headscarf. The ban is on students wearing it at school and on government workers. I know of many women who where their scarves everyday without interference. Admittedly, most of them are older, you don't see it worn much among the young crowd. But unless you happen along some sort of street protest, it shouldn't be an issue for someone minding their own business, and a few people will actually be glad to see it.

Have you got your lodging planned yet? I hear good things about this little hotel: Hotel Niles Istanbul.

shev
07-22-2007, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
:s:
does anyone know what aslam benim mean? someone posted that to a Quranic translation I put up, I didn't know if it were thanks or an insult?
thank you
It's kind of thanks

shev
07-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Turkey is a very nice country I'm sure that you'll love it. and people are very friendly and hospitable. And don't worry i you are wearing hicab people will show you more respect. the hicap problem in our country is about goverment places especialy it is for schools. in elite (or people who think they are elite) it is problem. but general of puplic is religious. hope you'll enjoy your holiday :)

Grace Seeker
07-23-2007, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shev
It's kind of thanks

How does aslam benim compare with either teşekkur ederim or saöl in meaning?

aamirsaab
07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
:sl:
Anyone have anything to say about Bodrum or Gumbet?

shev
07-24-2007, 08:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
How does aslam benim compare with either teşekkur ederim or sa&#246;l in meaning?
actually it means bravo, well done. ( aslanım benim)
aslan means:lion. benim means:my
but here I think that person wanted to say brova thank you for your message

shev
07-24-2007, 08:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:
Anyone have anything to say about Bodrum or Gumbet?
http://www.discoverbodrum.com/
here you can find some info.
If anyone wants to go to didim and looking for a hotel that pay attention to have a different pool for women can visit http://www.capricehotel.com.tr/
This hotel has different pool and beach for ladies..

Grace Seeker
07-24-2007, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shev
actually it means bravo, well done. ( aslanım benim)
aslan means:lion. benim means:my
but here I think that person wanted to say brova thank you for your message

Thanks. I wish I had known about that phrase last month, when my daughter (Aslı) graduated from university. I already new the words aslan (Aslı's favorite animal) and benim, but wasn't familiar with the phrase as used here. I have soooooo much to learn.

yigiter187
07-24-2007, 02:40 PM
come to sivas-a province of turkey--ı am sure you wont want to leave turkey..ı claim that turkey will be the most beautiful country you have ever visited..come sivas ,expenditures will be met by me ....

Grace Seeker
07-24-2007, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yigiter187
come to sivas-a province of turkey--ı am sure you wont want to leave turkey..ı claim that turkey will be the most beautiful country you have ever visited..come sivas ,expenditures will be met by me ....
Careful what you offer. I already have many reasons for wishing to visit Turkey. I might take you up on your offer and never leave. Then you would be supporting me for life.:D

yigiter187
07-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Careful what you offer. I already have many reasons for wishing to visit Turkey. I might take you up on your offer and never leave. Then you would be supporting me for life.:D
come here and we will eat,consume what ı earn..but dont complain ok?
you will be consent of what ı cook ok?

come turkey and see how hospitable people we are...

mine
07-24-2007, 03:31 PM

nice offer:) i wouldn't turn it down lol:giggling:

anyway turkey is a unique country with its culture and natural beauties.but you should mind this if you will go to a seaside holiday site you may not see lots of people who will care what they are wearing or eating and drinking. especially in summer these regions are full of tourists and they keep their own ways. if you dont want to witness unislamic activities that are against the laws of islam, you should be carefull about your choice of hotel and etc. caprice hotel is a good example you may give it a try. there are some other hotels like this you may search them on the net. other then that you should go to istanbul and visit Eyup Sultan Mosque, Ayasofia and many more. you will love it. in istanbul you will live two times together one is ottoman and the other is republic of turkey. it still protects it cultural and historical heritage. istanbul is really a must see.

yigiter187
07-24-2007, 03:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mine
nice offer:) i wouldn't turn it down lol:giggling:

anyway turkey is a unique country with its culture and natural beauties.but you should mind this if you will go to a seaside holiday site you may not see lots of people who will care what they are wearing or eating and drinking. especially in summer these regions are full of tourists and they keep their own ways. if you dont want to witness unislamic activities that are against the laws of islam, you should be carefull about your choice of hotel and etc. caprice hotel is a good example you may give it a try. there are some other hotels like this you may search them on the net. other then that you should go to istanbul and visit Eyup Sultan Mosque, Ayasofia and many more. you will love it. in istanbul you will live two times together one is ottoman and the other is republic of turkey. it still protects it cultural and historical heritage. istanbul is really a must see.
then you should offer them sivas to see the first wonder of world---the great mosque of divrigi...when americans and italians see it they begin to cry :'(

mine
07-24-2007, 03:57 PM
then you should offer them sivas to see the first wonder of world---the great mosque of divrigi...when americans and italians see it they begin to cry :'(
ok i will keep this in mind i live in turkey but i havent see it either yet. i will visit sivas as soon as possible:smile:

Grace Seeker
07-24-2007, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mine
ok i will keep this in mind i live in turkey but i havent see it either yet. i will visit sivas as soon as possible:smile:

My daughter is from Duzce and my niece from Mersin, though both live in Istanbul. I have never been there, and its been 4 years since I've seen my daughter. My wife and I had planned to back in June, but were unable to. So, I am really getting anxious about getting over there to see her and the rest of the family. As far as the food goes, I love pretty much all Turkish food except grape leaves. But my favorite, thus far, is monti.

mine
07-24-2007, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=Grace Seeker;797087]My daughter is from Duzce and my niece from Mersin, though both live in Istanbul. I have never been there, and its been 4 years since I've seen my daughter. My wife and I had planned to back in June, but were unable to. So, I am really getting anxious about getting over there to see her and the rest of the family. As far as the food goes, I love pretty much all Turkish food except grape leaves. But my favorite, thus far, is monti.[/

insha'Allah you will get here soon and reunite with your family.

himmm monti is my favorite too. it is really delicious. i can eat it at any time hungary or not.:D

yigiter187
07-24-2007, 08:16 PM
My daughter is from Duzce and my niece from Mersin, though both live in Istanbul. I have never been there, and its been 4 years since I've seen my daughter. My wife and I had planned to back in June, but were unable to. So, I am really getting anxious about getting over there to see her and the rest of the family. As far as the food goes, I love pretty much all Turkish food except grape leaves. But my favorite, thus far, is monti.
ı love monti too..especially gayseri monti:D

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-25-2007, 12:25 PM
:salamext:

Topics like these are better suited for the private forums.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.