/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayer

whoistrue
08-06-2007, 02:24 AM
I'm very new at this and I'm wondering how I should begin to praying. I think I might learn best by demonstration, are there any prescribed means? Is it ok if I pray in english, is it bad for me to ask for things in prayer? And also do I have to say the Sahadah in front of witnesses before I am considered a muslim? If so, is it ok for me to learn prayers in the meantime, or should I wait?

Thanks,

Lewis

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yanal
08-13-2007, 12:17 AM
:sl: :sl:
Well your otehr questions are hard but you should pray and herre's how http://english.islamway.com/bindex.p...=flashes&cat=1

click basics of prayer and abulation(sorry for spelling mistakes) and tell me iff you need mroe help you need to know how to perform wadhoo(abulution) in order to pray so look at that first then look at the basics of prayer best of luck rememebr if you start praying remember me in your duas my name is Yanal

Strzelecki
08-15-2007, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by whoistrue
And also do I have to say the Sahadah in front of witnesses before I am considered a muslim?
It can be said alone and still be valid.
It's as long as the full belief and conviction that Islam is the truth is there. ^^

May Allah [swt] make it easy for you inshaAllah. :)

UmmSqueakster
08-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the forum and to Islam.

I've looked for some rulings on making shahada online, but can't find anything. In my own personal experience, as soon as I was convinced that Islam was true, I made shahada in front of Allah (swt), no witnesses. I practiced Islam and about a year later, I made shahada again at al Azhar University in Cairo, and got a shahada certificate to prove that I was a muslim (which is a good thing to have if you want to make hajj or umrah). However, I made it clear to them that I was already a muslim, and that the paper was to commemorate my shahada, not to declare it.

Oddly enough, when I got married, the imam made me make shahada again - sigh - despite the fact that I'd been a muslim for years and years.

One thing I've realized is that if you're a convert, you'll be making shahada forever, ha. People will be like, you're muslim :eek: do you pray, do you fast? what's the shahada?

Some reading for you:

How to Convert
How I learned to pray - I ok-ed this method with a shaykh at al Azhar. It's best to make salat in arabic, and this way, I learned what i was saying in arabic while i was learning the arabic as well

There are two different acts of worship in Islam that are translated as prayers in english - salat and dua. Salat the link that was given to you earlier, and what I linked to above. It's more of a ritual worship than what westerners think of as prayer in the traditional sense. It's kind of like a mini service 5 times a day.

The other kind of prayer, dua, is probably what you're more familiar with. This is where you ask God for things, thank Him and praise Him. There are some dua that were said by our Prophet (saws) that muslims do memorize, but you say whatever you want in your duas, in english. This page has a lot on dua.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
kwolney01
09-08-2007, 06:46 PM
I had the same questions as you thanks for asking them..and thank you to the people who have answered.. I wish you all the best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.