/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bayat?

SolaceinIslam
09-02-2005, 07:50 AM
:sl:

I recently heard about bayat. At first I didn't know what it was :confused: , but I found this info :thumbs_up :

2. What is the purpose of Bayat?
2.The concept of Bai'at is expressly mentioned in the Quran and Hadith. There are different categories of Bai'at. One is to express submission to the leader of the Muslims, Ameerul Mo'mineen. This category of Bai'at is compulsory. The other category of Bai'at is for Islaah (reformation). This category of Bai'at is not compulsory. If a person is able to reform himself independently without the assistance of a spiritual guide, then he may do so. In such an instance, there is no need for Bai'at. However, generally, a person experiences difficulties in reforming himself and he requires the assistance of an expert to assist him in the reformation process. In order to achieve that, he takes Bai'at as an expression of determination and submission to obey. His spiritual guide then takes it upon himself to guide his Mureed and the Mureed undertakes to obey. Therefore the purpose of Bai' at is at most an administrative matter to achieve maximum benefit and results. It is not Shirk. However, we advise, you should exercise caution in choosing your Peer. Apart from him excelling in Taqwa, piety and having the expertise to reform, you too must be comfortable with him and his procedure. You must be able to relate to him and be able to benefit. For that we propose you first keep Islaahi relationship and qualify that with Bai'at later only after you are satisfied.

So, now I want to know... :-[

1) Is this an Islamic thing to do - it is not an innovation?
2) Where does one get a Spiritual guide?
3) What are the requirements before you can get one?
4) What is this Islaahi (reformation) they are talking about?
5) Any other info you might have...

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
09-02-2005, 08:26 AM

As far as I know, this spiritual guide as you call him is a Sheikh. Bayah is swearing allegiance and it isn't an innovation.

kadafi
09-02-2005, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SolaceinIslam

I recently heard about bayat. At first I didn't know what it was :confused: , but I found this info :thumbs_up :

2. What is the purpose of Bayat?
2.The concept of Bai'at is expressly mentioned in the Quran and Hadith. There are different categories of Bai'at. One is to express submission to the leader of the Muslims, Ameerul Mo'mineen. This category of Bai'at is compulsory. The other category of Bai'at is for Islaah (reformation). This category of Bai'at is not compulsory. If a person is able to reform himself independently without the assistance of a spiritual guide, then he may do so. In such an instance, there is no need for Bai'at. However, generally, a person experiences difficulties in reforming himself and he requires the assistance of an expert to assist him in the reformation process. In order to achieve that, he takes Bai'at as an expression of determination and submission to obey. His spiritual guide then takes it upon himself to guide his Mureed and the Mureed undertakes to obey. Therefore the purpose of Bai' at is at most an administrative matter to achieve maximum benefit and results. It is not Shirk. However, we advise, you should exercise caution in choosing your Peer. Apart from him excelling in Taqwa, piety and having the expertise to reform, you too must be comfortable with him and his procedure. You must be able to relate to him and be able to benefit. For that we propose you first keep Islaahi relationship and qualify that with Bai'at later only after you are satisfied.

So, now I want to know... :-[

1) Is this an Islamic thing to do - it is not an innovation?
2) Where does one get a Spiritual guide?
3) What are the requirements before you can get one?
4) What is this Islaahi (reformation) they are talking about?
5) Any other info you might have...

The first definition is correct and the second category has no basis in the Glorious Qur'aan or the Sunnah. It's what the sufees refer to as the mursheed [shaykh] and mureed[learner-student]. In fact, this bayyinah was never mentioned by the past 'ulema. If you ask me, it's an another form of pseudo taqleed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!