/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dissertation

Ummah
08-15-2007, 10:02 AM
is anyone here doing/already completed a dissertation?

any tips you can share on organisation, presentation and research?

would be much appreciated!

(im a law student if it makes any difference to the advice!)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
itsme
08-15-2007, 03:24 PM
:sl:

Layout and Appearance of Dissertation

The following are recommendations for presentation of a dissertation. The main point to be aware of is consistency and clarity. Whatever you do, it must the same throughout the project - keep headings the same so that the examiner will know what they are looking at, keep the spacing and justification the same so that it is easier to read. Clarity is achieved by use of white space, including line spacing, bullet points and numbering and adequate selection of font type and size.

The following guidelines allow a project to be easy to read and mark.
• Title page containing the title of the project, the name of the university, the course for which you are submitting the project and your name. Clip arts and graphics are optional.
• Contents page, listing all the sections. Word will automatically create a table of contents for you, providing you use styles.
• Formatting: Use formal fonts (like Times New Roma or Arial). You can use others if you wish, but do not use fancy ones.

• Paragraph formatting:
- No indentation at the beginning of paragraph.
- Leave one blank line between paragraphs and between sub-title and body text.
- Line spacing: 1.5 or double.
• A header/footer should be on every page. It is irrelevant which you use, but one of them should be present. The header/footer should contain, at the very least, page numbers. Anything else is useful but not essential, like your name and university name. For appearances, a line separating the header/footer from the body of text is needed. Use a font size of 10 (Times New Roman) or 9 (Arial).
• Do not forget to spell check the document and to Print Preview before printing. Make sure that there are no single words or lines on a new page.
• Page Setup: Paper Size - A4, Margins – 1 inch or 2.5 cm throughout.
• Use appendices to include:
- topics that are not exactly part of your dissertation but that you think are important as a side-explanation
- statistics / tables (if there any)
- results of surveys
• A Bibliography should be present at the end of dissertation.

Hope this helps.

:w:

Woodrow
08-15-2007, 03:28 PM

the format Sister Itsme used is essentially the same as I used eons ago, back in the stone age. The only difference being the use of graphics was somewhat frowned upon and if used had to be original work of the candidate.

itsme
08-15-2007, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

the format Sister Itsme used is essentially the same as I used eons ago, back in the stone age. The only difference being the use of graphics was somewhat frowned upon and if used had to be original work of the candidate.
oops... i feel like the format i've given comes directly from the stone age :smile:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummah
08-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Asalaamualaikum

jazakhAllah for the help everyone

MuslimWays
10-04-2007, 07:28 PM
May Allah reward you, the tips are very useful, masha'Allah... still in need of a good topic though.

Ummah
10-24-2007, 02:42 PM
^ u need a good topic?.. what subject u studying sis?

MuslimWays
10-24-2007, 05:54 PM
sister :uuh:

Studying computing, want to do something relating to web designing with database.

*~Sofia~*
10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah
is anyone here doing/already completed a dissertation?

any tips you can share on organisation, presentation and research?

would be much appreciated!

(im a law student if it makes any difference to the advice!)
:sl: sister,

I am currently doing some project work too...so stressful! :uuh:
My course has actually given me guidelines as to what they expect in terms of format, structure etc, and im doing science so the format an stuff may be quite different to law.
Anyway the best piece of advice i can give u is: don't leave all the work to the last minute! lol time management is essential i think. so just keep on top of everything. if u need help, ask ur supervisor and try to sort the problem out as soon as.
when ur researching, make a list of references that u use as u go along, coz u will need to include them in ur dissertation..and if u dont know where u got the info from it'll be difficult in writing up the references.
Itsme has given most of the stuff i was gonna say.. :thumbs_up

anyway, if i think of any more tips, i'll get back to u inshallah :)
Good luck with ur project work, inshallah we'll both do well! :D

w'salam
x

itsme
10-25-2007, 05:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimWays
sister :uuh:

Studying computing, want to do something relating to web designing with database.
:sl:

:hmm: an expert system, may be??? i mean developing a site which offer advice on some topic? you could get your database of facts and provide the web page as interface?

i'll try getting some more topics for you insha allah.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
11-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Make sure you spend plenty of time on the literature review section. We used MS project to make dates, milestones etc to keep track of everything. log books are helpful aswell.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.