/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Let's call God Allah

glo
08-17-2007, 12:22 AM
The Bishop of Breda, Tiny Muskens, wants people to start calling God Allah. He says the Netherlands should look to Indonesia, where the Christian churches already pray to Allah. It is also common in the Arab world: Christian and Muslim Arabs use the words God and Allah interchangeably.Speaking on the Dutch TV programme Network on Monday evening, Bishop Muskens (pictured) says it could take another 100 years but eventually the name Allah will be used by Dutch churches. And that will promote rapprochement between the two religions.
Full article here

What are your thoughts on this?

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
08-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Great Article glo.. here are the 99 names of Allah... Though Allah SWT has 100 names, most if not all don't know what the one hundredth name is, but we may certainly invoke him using any of the ones we do know---
peace!
Ninty Nine Names Of Allah

al-Rehman The Gracious
al-Raheem The Merciful
al-Malik The Sovereign
al-Quddus The Holy
as-Salam The Source of Peace
al-Mumin The Gaurdian of the Faith
al-Mohaymin The Protector
al-Azeez The Mighty
al-Jabbar The Compeller
al-Mutakabbir The Majestic
al-Khaliq The Creator
al-Bari The Originator
al-Musawwir The Fashioner
al-Ghaffar The Forgiver
al-Qahhar The Subduer
al-Wahhab The Bestower
al-Razzaq The Provider
al-Fattah The Opener
al-Aleem The Knowing
al-Qabidh The Constrictor
al-Basit The Expander
al-Khafidh The Abaser
ar-Rafay The Exalter
al-Mu'izz The Honourer
al-Muzill The Abaser
as-Samee The All-Hearing
al-Baseer The All-Seeing
al-Hakam The Judge
al-Adl The Just
al-Lateef The Subtle One
al-Khabeer The Knowing
al-Haleem The Forbearing
al-Azeem TheGreat
al-Ghafur The All-Forgiving
ash-Shakur The Appreciator
al-Ali The High
al-Kabeer The Great
al-Hafeez Preserver
al-Muqeet The Sustainer
al-Haseeb The Reckoner
al-Jaleel The Sublime
al-Kareem Generous
ar-Raqeeb The Watchful
al-Mujeeb The Responser
al-Wassay The All-Embracing
al-Hakeem The Wise
al-Wadud The Loving
al-Mujeed The Glorious
al-Baaith The Resurrector
ash-Shaheed The Witness
Names Meanings

al-Haqq The True
al-Wakeel The Trustee
al-Qawi The Strong
al-Mateen The Firm
al-Walee The Friend
al-Hameed Praisworthy
al-Muhsi The Reckoner
al-Mubdi The Originator
al-Mu'id The Restorer
al-Muhyi The Giver of Life
al-Mumeet The Giver of Death
al-Hayee The Living
al-Qayyum The Self Subsisting
al-Wajid Finder
al-Majid The Noble
al-Wahid The Unique
as-Samad The Eternal
al-Qadir The Powerful
al-Muqtadir The Powerful
al-Muqaddim The Expediter
al-Mu'akhir The Postponer
al-Awwal The First
al-Akhir The Last
al-Zahir The Manifest
al-Batin The Hidden
al-Waalee The Governor
al-Muta'li The Most Exalted
al-Barr The Benign
al-Tawwab The Oft Returning
al-Muntaqim The Avenger
al-Afu Pardoner
ar-Rauf The Compassionate
Malikul-Mulk The Owner of Sovereignty
Dhul-Jalal-wal-Ikram The Lord of Majisty and Bounty
al-Jame The Gatherer
s
al-Ghanee The Self Sufficient
al-Mughani The Enricher
al-Mani The Preventer
al-Nafi The Propitious
an-Noor The Light
al-Hadi The Guide
al-Badi' The Incomparable
al-Muqsit The Just
al-Dhar The Distresser
al-Baqi The Everlasting
al-Warith Inheritor
ar-Rasheed The Guide to the Right Path
as-Sabur The Patient

back_to_faith
08-17-2007, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Full article here

What are your thoughts on this?

Peace
Our thoughts of no importance, we muslims welcome any effort to get all humanity as a unity based on mutual respect and justice....

but that is a far-fetched wish in light of the brain-washed,black-hearted people such as those christians who commented on the link you provided such as:

Koolaid Killsus, 17-08-2007 - USA
I never thought I'd have to use this term for a member of the clergy, but this guy is a total dumb ass. Why doesn't he just convert and get it over with. There are always cowardly traitors ready to hand the rest of us over to the enemy in every society.

according to such brain-washed guy and millions alike, those who try to show good intentions,respect to Islam and muslims are cowardly traitors, blasphemous men ,who ready to hand the rest of them over to the enemy (Islam&muslims)in every society.!!!!!

Thanks for the link......though such link contains offensive language to Islam.

peace

glo
08-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Greetings, back_to_faith

To be honest, it hadn't even occured to me to read the comments below the article. My intention was just to post the article itself.

Apologies, if I have caused offence.
I guess as followers of our religions we have to grow a tough skin, and learn to ignore those voices who try to attack or discredit our beliefs.

Personally, I find the view that all Christians should refer to God as Allah strange, to say the least ...
As far as I understand, 'Allah' is the Arabic term for 'God'. Am I correct?
So, of course, if I was living as a Christian in an Arabic-speaking country I would refer to God as Allah. Not, because I was compromising my Christian beliefs, but because that is the Arabic term for God.
If I was living in Germany, I would call him Gott, in France Dieu, and so on and so forth.
Since I live in an English-speaking country, I am most likely to call him God ...

But I agree with Ambro, that there are many names which refer to God.
Here are several Biblical names in Hebrew (although I believe there are more):
Adir — "Strong One".
Adon Olam — "Master of the World".
Avinu Malkeinu — "Our Father, our King".
Boreh — "the Creator".
Ehiyeh sh'Ehiyeh — "I Am That I Am": a modern Hebrew version of "Ehyeh asher Ehyeh".
Elohei Avraham, Elohei Yitzchak ve Elohei Ya`aqov — "God of Abraham, God of Isaac, God of Jacob".
El ha-Gibbor — "God the hero" or "God the strong one".
Emet — "Truth".
E'in Sof — "endless, infinite", Kabbalistic name of God.
Ro'eh Yisra'el — "Shepherd of Israel".
Ha-Kaddosh, Baruch Hu — "The Holy One, Blessed be He".
Kaddosh Israel — "Holy One of Israel".
Melech ha-Melachim — "The King of Kings" or Melech Malchei ha-Melachim "King of Kings of Kings", to express superiority to the earthly rulers title.
Makom or Hamakom — literally "the place", meaning "The Omnipresent"; see Tzimtzum.
Magen Avraham — "Shield of Abraham".
Ribbono shel `Olam — "Master of the World".
YHWH-Yireh (Jehovah-jireh) — "The Lord will provide" (Genesis 22:13-14).
YHWH-Rapha — "The Lord that healeth" (Exodus 15:26).
YHWH-Niss"i (Yahweh-Nissi) — "The Lord our Banner" (Exodus 17:8-15).
YHWH-Shalom — "The Lord our Peace" (Judges 6:24).
YHWH-Ra-ah — "The Lord my Shepherd" (Psalm 23:1).
YHWH-Tsidkenu — "The Lord our Righteousness" (Jeremiah 23:6).
YHWH-Shammah (Jehovah-shammah) — "The Lord is present" (Ezekiel 48:35).
Tzur Israel — "Rock of Israel".
My personal choices for addressing God tend to be 'Father' or 'Lord'.

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amadeus85
08-17-2007, 05:15 PM
The problem is that not all chriatians call God- "God". Poles doesnt say "God" , but Bóg since more than 1 thousands year (baptism of Poland was in 966 A.D). Germans say Gott. So i think that its bad idea... What else, should we say Isa maybe to please muslims ?

back_to_faith
08-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Greetings,

Personally, I find the view that all Christians should refer to God as Allah strange, to say the least ...
Peace

Greetings,glo

yes it is strange,and not expected to happen till day of judgment.....

christians don't have to use the word Allah to be friendly with muslims...
many other things they should do in order to satisfy muslims....and attain their appreciation and respect....but alas

such dream is far-fetched in light of the consnant attack on Islam,muslims ,in their homes,the mass-media etc....

you and those alike,glo, are the exception.....but your voices not strong enough, you are just a minority in an ocean of hatred,intolerence towards Islam....

If some christians invade muslims'countries,causing the death of innocents,civil wars,hunger,agony...
if they offend Allah and his messeneger in media day and night...
and after all that they claim ,that all what they do is because they love muslims and want to help them !!,then muslims have to believe in the saying,

(There is no hatred equal to Christian love)

thank you very much my friend,and may God bless your efforts,increase those who similar to you.
peace

snakelegs
08-17-2007, 05:57 PM
this is my thought:
"God doesn't mind what he is called. God is above such "discussion and bickering".
i agree with this statement.

maybe it's because i haven't had my coffee yet, but i can't help but wonder if he isn't just trying to arouse more anti-muslim sentiment. and when i got to the last paragraph that sort of confirmed my suspicion.
personally, i find it natural to use the word "god" just because it's my language, but i would be just as happy to use "allah". but words like "god", "gott" etc. are only foreign words. neither the jews nor the muslims knew those words, so there is no reason to be attached to them particularly.
i think people should call god whatever they feel comfortable with.
call god whatever you will - but call him! :giggling:

InToTheRain
08-17-2007, 06:19 PM
To Allah(SWT) belongs all the beautiful names, names that befit Allah(SWT).

I think this makes sense, as 2000 years ago the word "God" was not used by Jesus(AS). The English language did not even exist duing those times. I believe it was after the Romans fought the Saxons the english language was in use.

This site may help answer some questions:

Names Of God

[PIE]Thus the name of God in the Arabic Bible is Allah, as Arab Christians have called God since the time of Jesus. This is short for al-illah, which means simply The God. Arabic-speaking Christians use the same word for the God revealed in the Bible that Arabic-speaking Muslims use for the One God who they believe sent Muhammad as a prophet.[/PIE]

Pygoscelis
08-18-2007, 02:52 AM
I thought "Allah" was simply arabic for "God". Is that false?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Technically its not just God. The proper definition would be "No One/diety worthy of being worshipped." Cuz Allah is neither feminine nor mascular. It's without gender. With God, words like goddess, godson and godfather exist...so it isnt exactly proper.

Peace

Malaikah
08-18-2007, 09:36 AM
:sl:

Allah doesn't mean God does it? God in Arabic ilah or something like that... Allah is an actual name... someone correctly me if I'm wrong please.

InToTheRain
08-18-2007, 11:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I thought "Allah" was simply arabic for "God". Is that false?
If we compare both names we can see why they are not the same:

God - Has a gender appiled to to, as in we can have Goddess to mean she, God means a he, and has many other names attached to it such as Godfather, Godmather etc.

Allah = Has no gender (not male and not female)
* "He" is used only out of respect and dignity - not for gender
Allah = Always singular - Never plural
* "We" is used only as the "Royal WE" just as in English for royalty
Allah Means "The Only One to be Worshipped"

*Just realised Sister Jazzy said more or less the same thing :/

Amadeus85
08-18-2007, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=WnbSlveOfAllah;811173]To Allah(SWT)
belongs all the beautiful names, names that befit Allah(SWT).

I think this makes sense, as 2000 years ago the word "God" was not used by Jesus(AS). The English language did not even exist duing those times. I believe it was after the Romans fought the Saxons the english language was in use.
So? Whats your point? Jesus also wasnt called Isa for example, because He was called Yeshua from arameic. So should all muslims now call Jesus as Yeshua? :?

Uthman
08-18-2007, 11:17 AM

As I understand it, the word 'Allah' comes from the Arabic articles 'Al' and 'Ilah' (Al-Ilah means 'the deity')

A contraction occurs, thus shortening 'Al-Ilah' to 'Allah'.

So 'Allah' means 'the deity'.

Yes? No? Maybe?

:w:

khairullah
08-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Catholic Bishop Favors Beautiful Allah

By Nasreddine Djebbi , IOL Correspondent

Muskens recognizes his suggestion might take a century or two to gain widespread acceptance.

By Nasreddine Djebbi , IOL Correspondent

THE HAGUE — A Roman Catholic Bishop in the Netherlands believes people of all faiths should use Allah, the Arabic word for God, which is already being used by Arab-speaking Christians, to foster interfaith understanding.

"Allah is a very beautiful word for God," Bishop Martinus "Tiny" Muskens, from the southern diocese of Breda, told the "Network" television show earlier this week.

"Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah?"
Bishop Muskens, 71, said that Arabic-speaking Christians already use Allah to refer to God.

He added that in Indonesia, where he spent eight years, priests have for decades been using Allah while celebrating Mass.

"In the heart of the Eucharist, God is called Allah over there, so why can't we start doing that together?"

The Catholic bishop said people are needlessly "bickering" over such terminology.

"What does God care what we call him? It is our problem."

Bishop Muskens has broken with Vatican leadership to endorse the use of condoms as a means of preventing the spread of AIDS.

In 2006, he traveled to Uganda to endorse the work of a group called Stop AIDS Now, which emphasized condom distribution.
He has also suggested that those who are hungry may steal bread to eat.
Long-term Gerrit de Fijter, chairman of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands, welcomed any attempt to "create more dialogue."
He does not support the suggestion.

"Calling God Allah does no justice to Western identity. I see no benefit in it," he told Netherlands' biggest-selling newspaper De Telegraaf on Wednesday.
A survey in the daily said 92 percent of the more than 4,000 people polled disagreed with Bishop Muskens.

Bishop Muskens, who is retiring soon for health problems, recognizes that his suggestion might take a century or two to gain widespread acceptance.

The word "God" gives the meaning of giving, fairness and capability.
The word's root can be found in the Arabic term jude (generosity), which root is jawada. Its equivalent in English is the word "good".

As for the word "Allah", it recognizes the English word "all", giving one of the best characteristics of Allah’s attributes; The All-Knowing, All-Seeing, All-Hearing, All-Merciful etc.

Every baby born has, as his first utterance, the short "a" sound, which is an expression of the oneness of humanity, in relation to its Creator.
Also, all final deathbed gasps exhale the "h", the last letter of the name of Allah.

This is because He is the First and the Last!

When we scream in pain or cry out in fear, or grunt and groan during strenuous exercise or disgust, or exclaim in joy or surprise, it is the very same… "ahhh" that we all emit.

Almost all the major religious scriptures of the world contain the word "Allah" as one of the names of God.

a. Elohim El, Elah, Alah

In the Bible, God is very often referred to as ‘Elohim’ in the Hebrew language. The ‘im’ in the ending is a plural of honour and God is referred to as ‘El’ or ‘Elah’ in the English Bible with commentary, edited by reverend C. I. Scofield. ‘Elah’ is alternatively spelled as ‘Alah’. The difference in spelling is only of a single ‘L’. Muslims spell Allah as ‘Allah’ while the Reverend has spelled it as Alah and they pronounce it as ‘Elah’. Muslims pronounce it as Allah. Hebrew and Arabic are sister languages therefore we say it should be pronounced as ‘Allah’ and not as ‘Elah’.

When I was in school, I was taught ‘D, O’ is do, ‘T, O’ is to. What is ‘G, O’ It is ‘go’ and not ‘gu’. ‘N, U, T’ is nut, ‘C, U, T’ cut; ‘B, U, T’ is but, what is ‘P, U, T’? Not ‘pat’ but it is ‘put’. If you ask "Why?" The answer is "It is their language". If I have to pass I have to say ‘P, U, T’ is ‘put’ and not ‘pat’. Similarly the right pronunciation for A, L, L, A, H, is Allah.

b. Jesus (pbuh) cried out Allah Allah when he was put on the cross
It is mentioned in the New Testament in the Gospel of Mathew, chapter 27 verse 46 as well as Gospel of Mark, chapter 15 verse 34 when Jesus (pbuh) was put on the cross.

Jesus cried with a loud voice saying "E’-Li, E’-Li la’-ma sa-bach’-tha-ni?" that is to say, ‘My God, My God why hast Thou Forsaken Me?’ Does this sound like Jehovah! Jehovah! why has thou forsaken me? Does it sound like Abba Abba? The answer is ‘No’. Hebrew and Arabic are sister languages and if you translate "E’-Li, E’-Li la’-ma sa-bach’-tha-ni" into Arabic it is ‘Allah Allah lama tarak tani’ does it sound similar?

This statement of Jesus (pbuh), "E’-Li, E’-Li la’-ma sa-bach’-tha-ni" is preserved in its original Hebrew in each and every of its translation which is available in more than 2000 different languages of the world and in each and every of them, "Allah" is present.

2. "Allah" in Sikhism

One of the names by which Gurunanak Sahib referred to God is "Allah".

3a. "Allah" in Rigveda Book 2 Hymn I verse II
Even in the Rigveda which is the most sacred scripture of the Hindus, one of the attributes given to God Almighty in Book no 2 Hymn no I verse II, is ‘Ila’ which if pronounced properly is the same as Allah.
3b. Allo Upanishad:
Amongst the various Upanishads one of the Upanishad is named as ‘Allo’ Upanishad in which God is referred to as "Allah" several times.

Malaikah
08-18-2007, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

As I understand it, the word 'Allah' comes from the Arabic articles 'Al' and 'Ilah' (Al-Ilah means 'the deity')

A contraction occurs, thus shortening 'Al-Ilah' to 'Allah'.

So 'Allah' means 'the deity'.

from what I have learned that is wrong, and that grammatically shortening al-ilah to Allah doesn't even make sense...

sevgi
08-18-2007, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

from what I have learned that is wrong, and that grammatically shorten al-ilah to Allah doesn't even make sense...
i agree sis...where in islam have u seen contractions of Allahs names...

ar-rahman doesnt become simply rahman...i dno...sounds wrong...

Uthman
08-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Perhaps you guys are right.

It's just what I've read. :)

Uthman
08-18-2007, 05:08 PM

I've found us a lovely article on the subject

http://thetruereligion.org/modules/w...p?articleid=71

:)

August
08-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Christians should call God "God" in their language. If they speak Arabic, call Him Allah. If they aren't arabic speakers, then calling God "Allah" is an expression of agreement with the Muslim concept of God, hence an implicit denial of Christian truth. This should not be taken as a slam against Muslims, we just all need to agree that we don't agree and deal with it. As a Catholic, I feel the Bishops comments were a misguided attempt to get along with Muslims, he needs to be reprimanded.

InToTheRain
08-18-2007, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
So? Whats your point? Jesus also wasnt called Isa for example, because He was called Yeshua from arameic. So should all muslims now call Jesus as Yeshua? :?
Aaron, the names of Jesus(AS) to my understanding is given below, please correct me if I am wrong:

[PIE]The word "`EESA" (AS) in the Qur'an comes from "`EESHO" (AS) in Aramaic, a language which predates Hebrew by several hundred years and never had any etymological ties with the Hebrew derivative "YESHUA" (AS) or even the word "E'SAU" (AS)

Since the language Jesus (pbuh) spoke and taught was Aramaic, the Qur'an have accurately taken his name in Aramaic and not the Hebrew derivative, "YESHUA" (AS)[/PIE]

from what I have learned that is wrong, and that grammatically shorten al-ilah to Allah doesn't even make sense...

You could be right. I got the Info regarding "Al-Ilah" from here:

http://www.artbismillah.org/html/_allah_.html

To my understanding Jesus spole Aramaic, and God in Aramaic means Alaha:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaha

جوري
08-19-2007, 02:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by August
Christians should call God "God" in their language. If they speak Arabic, call Him Allah. If they aren't arabic speakers, then calling God "Allah" is an expression of agreement with the Muslim concept of God, hence an implicit denial of Christian truth. This should not be taken as a slam against Muslims, we just all need to agree that we don't agree and deal with it. As a Catholic, I feel the Bishops comments were a misguided attempt to get along with Muslims, he needs to be reprimanded.
lol.. some of this is in order then

:thumbs_up

peace!

Slamdunk
08-19-2007, 12:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Great Article glo.. here are the 99 names of Allah... Though Allah SWT has 100 names, most if not all don't know what the one hundredth name is, but we may certainly invoke him using any of the ones we do know---
peace!
Ninty Nine Names Of Allah

al-Rehman The Gracious
al-Raheem The Merciful
al-Malik The Sovereign
al-Quddus The Holy
as-Salam The Source of Peace
al-Mumin The Gaurdian of the Faith
al-Mohaymin The Protector
al-Azeez The Mighty
al-Jabbar The Compeller
al-Mutakabbir The Majestic
al-Khaliq The Creator
al-Bari The Originator
al-Musawwir The Fashioner
al-Ghaffar The Forgiver
al-Qahhar The Subduer
al-Wahhab The Bestower
al-Razzaq The Provider
al-Fattah The Opener
al-Aleem The Knowing
al-Qabidh The Constrictor
al-Basit The Expander
al-Khafidh The Abaser
ar-Rafay The Exalter
al-Mu'izz The Honourer
al-Muzill The Abaser
as-Samee The All-Hearing
al-Baseer The All-Seeing
al-Hakam The Judge
al-Adl The Just
al-Lateef The Subtle One
al-Khabeer The Knowing
al-Haleem The Forbearing
al-Azeem TheGreat
al-Ghafur The All-Forgiving
ash-Shakur The Appreciator
al-Ali The High
al-Kabeer The Great
al-Hafeez Preserver
al-Muqeet The Sustainer
al-Haseeb The Reckoner
al-Jaleel The Sublime
al-Kareem Generous
ar-Raqeeb The Watchful
al-Mujeeb The Responser
al-Wassay The All-Embracing
al-Hakeem The Wise
al-Wadud The Loving
al-Mujeed The Glorious
al-Baaith The Resurrector
ash-Shaheed The Witness
Names Meanings

al-Haqq The True
al-Wakeel The Trustee
al-Qawi The Strong
al-Mateen The Firm
al-Walee The Friend
al-Hameed Praisworthy
al-Muhsi The Reckoner
al-Mubdi The Originator
al-Mu'id The Restorer
al-Muhyi The Giver of Life
al-Mumeet The Giver of Death
al-Hayee The Living
al-Qayyum The Self Subsisting
al-Wajid Finder
al-Majid The Noble
al-Wahid The Unique
as-Samad The Eternal
al-Qadir The Powerful
al-Muqtadir The Powerful
al-Muqaddim The Expediter
al-Mu'akhir The Postponer
al-Awwal The First
al-Akhir The Last
al-Zahir The Manifest
al-Batin The Hidden
al-Waalee The Governor
al-Muta'li The Most Exalted
al-Barr The Benign
al-Tawwab The Oft Returning
al-Muntaqim The Avenger
al-Afu Pardoner
ar-Rauf The Compassionate
Malikul-Mulk The Owner of Sovereignty
Dhul-Jalal-wal-Ikram The Lord of Majisty and Bounty
al-Jame The Gatherer
s
al-Ghanee The Self Sufficient
al-Mughani The Enricher
al-Mani The Preventer
al-Nafi The Propitious
an-Noor The Light
al-Hadi The Guide
al-Badi' The Incomparable
al-Muqsit The Just
al-Dhar The Distresser
al-Baqi The Everlasting
al-Warith Inheritor
ar-Rasheed The Guide to the Right Path
as-Sabur The Patient
You left one name out. Jesus:-)

Malaikah
08-19-2007, 12:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Slamdunk
How come your discriminating against the Father and Holy Spirit? :?

Woodrow
08-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I find that to be an interesting observation. Perhaps it is because of what the name Jesus(as) means or more specifiacally the name it was derived from means. Jesus(as) is a fairly recent English name that came about at the time of the second printing of the KJV. It does not appear in the first printing.

The name is believed to be an Anglicized version of the Arabic/Aramaic Isa or the Hebrew Yeshua.

JESUS

The word Jesus is the Latin form of the Greek Iesous, which in turn is the transliteration of the Hebrew Jeshua, or Joshua, or again Jehoshua, meaning "Jehovah is salvation." Though the name in one form or another occurs frequently in the Old Testament, it was not borne by a person of prominence between the time of Josue, the son of Nun and Josue, the high priest in the days of Zorobabel. It was also the name of the author of Ecclesiaticus, of one of Christ's ancestors mentioned in the genealogy, found in the Third Gospel (Luke 3:29), and one of the St. Paul's companions (Colossians 4:11). During the Hellenizing period, Jason, a purely Greek analogon of Jesus, appears to have been adopted by many (1 Maccabees 8:17; 12:16; 14:22; 2 Maccabees 1:7; 2:24; 4:7-26; 5:5-10; Acts 17:5-9; Romans 16:21). The Greek name is connected with verb iasthai, to heal; it is therefore, not surprising that some of the Greek Fathers allied the word Jesus with same root (Eusebius, "Dem. Ev.", IV; cf. Acts 9:34; 10:38). Though about the time of Christ the name Jesus appears to have been fairly common (Josephus, "Ant.", XV, ix, 2; XVII, xiii, 1; XX, ix, 1; "Bel. Jud.", III, ix, 7; IV, iii, 9; VI, v, 5; "Vit.", 22) it was imposed on our Lord by God's express order (Luke 1:31; Matthew 1:21), to foreshow that the Child was destined to "save his people from their sins." Philo ("De Mutt. Nom.", 21) is therefore, right when he explains Iesous as meaning soteria kyrion; Eusebius (Dem., Ev., IV, ad fin.; P.G., XXII, 333) gives the meaning Theou soterion; while St. Cyril of Jerusalem interprets the word as equivalent to soter (Cat., x, 13; P.G., XXXIII, 677). This last writer, however, appears to agree with Clement of Alexandria in considering the word Iesous as of Greek origin (Paedag., III, xii; P.G., VIII, 677); St. Chrysostom emphasizes again the Hebrew derivation of the word and its meaning soter (Hom., ii, 2), thus agreeing with the exegesis of the angel speaking to St. Joseph (Matthew 1:21).

Source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08374x.htm

The above article is not fully correct as it is using the letter J in some of the Hebrew names.

But the article will suffice to show that the name was common and it was an aknowlegement that God(swt) saves (ie forgives sins) It is more of a verb than a noun so it is really not even fitting as a Name, it is an exclamation.

So in the 99 names we do have the name al-Ghaffar (The forgiver)

Jesus(as) would be an appropriate exclamation to make if some body were to tell you that God(swt) forgives sins. But, it is not an appropriate name for then one who forgives sins.

I find it quite interesting that Jesus'(as) own name is a proclamation that Allah(swt) alone forgives sins and does not say Jesus'(as) forgives sins.

Slamdunk
08-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Hello Malaikah. No discrimination, only that Jesus seems to get all the attention. If muslims object to the Deity of Jesus, they must also object to the Deity of the Holy Spirit. I guess it's a given that muslims accept the Deity of the Father.

FATHER
. .
. ONE .
. GOD .
SON . . . . SPIRIT

Peace

جوري
08-19-2007, 05:07 PM
indeed.. and that is because Jesus isn't God, and neither is the holy spirit!
peace!

Slamdunk
08-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Hello Malaikah. No discrimination, only that Jesus seems to get all the attention. If muslims object to the Deity of Jesus, they must also object to the Deity of the Holy Spirit. I guess it's a given that muslims accept the Deity of the Father.

FATHER
. .
. ONE .
. GOD .
SON . . . . SPIRIT

Peace
Ooops! Couldn't figure out how to attach:-)

YusufNoor
08-19-2007, 05:21 PM

because "they" don't know their names!!!:hiding:

:happy:

DAWUD_adnan
08-19-2007, 05:31 PM
It wouldn't fit with christian persepective of God because Allah means, ONE without GENDER or PLURAL this is the proper name of Allah because it separates Him from His creation as none is totally one or genderless , but Christians today worship 3, (thats two too many) two of whom are a man and a woman( as some worship Mary(as)).

this might however make it easier for us to connect to them and show them.

and Allah knows Best.

DAWUD_adnan
08-19-2007, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

I find it quite interesting that Jesus'(as) own name is a proclamation that Allah(swt) alone forgives sins and does not say Jesus'(as) forgives sins.

SubhanAllah

guyabano
08-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Good Idea. A common word for the same God, anyway !

NoName55
08-19-2007, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
i agree sis...where in islam have u seen contractions of Allahs names...

ar-rahman doesnt become simply rahman...i dno...sounds wrong...
al-Rahman became ar-rahman

The God is Al-Illah is Allah is The God

Isambard
08-19-2007, 06:56 PM
I dont see the point as its just a language thing.

Grace Seeker
08-20-2007, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DAWUD_adnan
It wouldn't fit with christian persepective of God because Allah means, ONE without GENDER or PLURAL this is the proper name of Allah because it separates Him from His creation as none is totally one or genderless , but Christians today worship 3, (thats two too many) two of whom are a man and a woman( as some worship Mary(as)).

this might however make it easier for us to connect to them and show them.

and Allah knows Best.

We worship one God. When we worship Jesusm, we are worshipping the very same one God that we are when we worship the Father. And when we worship the Father we are worshipping the very same one God that we are when we worship the Holy Spirit. And when we worship the Holy Spirit, we are worshipping the very same one God that we are when we worship the Son (also known as Jesus).

And though Mary is often called the Mother of God (a phrase I personally wish was not used), it is not meant to confer any aspect of diety on her, but merely to recognize that she is Jesus' mother and that Jesus is God. And while I agree that what some Catholics do in giving honor to Mary looks periliously similar to worship, on closer examination I find out that it is not worship.

As a non-Catholic I may not understand it all, but I am willing to accept the word of my Catholic brothers and sisters that they do NOT worship Mary. Though I understand that you are not a Christian and thus may not fully understand what I mean when I say that we Christians do not worship but one God even as we worship that one God in three persons, perhaps just as I am willing to take the word of my Catholic brothers with regard to their practice of their faith, might you be willing to accept what I say as the truth with regard to our practice of our Christian faith.

Glo, as far as the topic of this thread. I would have no problem using the term "Allah" to refer to God in an Arabic speaking country, but it would seem ridiculous to do so in countries that do not. And even in Arabic speaking countries, might it be more offensive to Muslims than using another term. Consider post to which I have already responded. If I was using the term Allah for God, then I would have to say that Jesus is Allah. That Allah exists as one being in three persons. That Jesus is the son of Allah. This might cause more problems than it solves.

zarhad
08-20-2007, 12:21 AM
as far as i know before the bible was translated out of its original dialog jesus (as) or esa as we know him never claimed anytime he was allahs son (tobah) and rather said he was a follower aswell he never said he was the one who cured leppers etc, however it was allah who had done it.

zarhad
08-20-2007, 12:22 AM
like a giant mis understanding lol

zarhad
08-20-2007, 12:23 AM
dont get me wrong but i find christianity such an idolitory religion

ranma1/2
08-20-2007, 12:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
this is my thought:
"God doesn't mind what he is called. God is above such "discussion and bickering".
I agree with this. i also think that if a god/s exists they are above being worshiped and frankly dont realy care about us.

zarhad
08-20-2007, 12:54 AM
i cant agree with you, God is something which is something the humand mind can not comprehend, something we cant even believe to imagen or understand...its like trying to think of how big outter space is, dark with no beginning and no end, so many galaxies if you really sit and think our mind can not even begin to imagen how something has no beginning and no end like space, same way we cannot comprehend god.

i know he exisit by seeing the beauty of this world, every leaf every drop of rain, mountians and sunrises, or even the smile on a babies face. this is all what god has created, we should be thankful whether allah has asked us to or not we should thank him for every breath he has given to us. and you cannot understand what compassion is to god, we are merly humands but tiny specs if that in this universe...

YusufNoor
08-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Peace be upon those who follow guidance,

Brother Eesa has an interesting take on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XdW6_HvZ6Y

Woodrow
08-20-2007, 04:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
I agree with this. i also think that if a god/s exists they are above being worshiped and frankly dont realy care about us.
At first thoughts that appears to be a very logical and reasonable conclusion.

Now let us go about with a few possible scenarios.

Scenario one:

God(swt) does not exist. We are all products of self occurring simple flukes in the fabric of the space-time continuum.
This thing we call life is merely an artifact of a complex chemical reaction. The only difference between living matter and non-living is the complexity of a self replicating chemical reaction.

Now this is either a singularity that has only occured once or it is a continuous reoccuring event. Logic seems to dictate that if the events that brought about matter and life could possible happen, the same events can be replicated, this rules out the probability of it being a one time event.

If this is not a one time event, this should have occured many times and there should be remnants of previous matter still abundant in the known universe. Yet all matter that can be detected is the same age.

I can find no explanation as to how matter could be created as a single event, unless it is the product of an external being.

Scenario 2

God(swt) exists, but he has no interest in us, no personal awareness of us as individuals. That sounds possible. But, does it make any sense that a being capable of creation would be unaware of His creation. w
Would a creator create with no purpose? Are we simple art forms that were made for a simple moment of curiosity?

Not a very pleasant thought.

Now it seems that a carrying creator would have in some manner made his presence and our purpose known to us. Us theists say that is what he has done and continues to do.

But, like the man said "To the Believer no proof is needed, to the unbeliever no proof is sufficient."

glo
08-20-2007, 06:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Glo, as far as the topic of this thread. I would have no problem using the term "Allah" to refer to God in an Arabic speaking country, but it would seem ridiculous to do so in countries that do not. And even in Arabic speaking countries, might it be more offensive to Muslims than using another term. Consider post to which I have already responded. If I was using the term Allah for God, then I would have to say that Jesus is Allah. That Allah exists as one being in three persons. That Jesus is the son of Allah. This might cause more problems than it solves.
Those are interesting points, Gene.
Looking at it this way, the notion of everybody calling God Allah in an attempt to improve the relationship between the faiths could back-fire, and become offensive and even more divisive instead! :-\

Personally, I believe the only way to bring peace and understanding to interfaith relationships, is to learn about each others faiths, acknowledge to similarities and the differences and finally accept that those differences exist.

God bless

Woodrow
08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Naturally I feel that it would be wonderful if everybody called God(swt) Allah(swt).

However, I think the reason why a person calls Him Allah(swt) is important. If the person sincerely believes that is His name, no problem. But, if a person is doing to simply pacify and appease others that is hypocritical and also a very insincere method of being condescending.

glo
08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
Peace be upon those who follow guidance,

Brother Eesa has an interesting take on this:

Who is brother Eesa??

YusufNoor
08-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Who is brother Eesa??

Howdy Glo!

Eesa is the guy in the vid! :thankyou:

Uthman
08-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Calling God “Allah” would be submission to Islam

By KATHLEEN PARKER

WASHINGTON | It was bound to happen — and it seems fitting that a cleric named Tiny would think of it.Roman Catholic Bishop Tiny Muskens of the Netherlands has decided that the way to ease Muslim-Everybody Else tensions is to start using “Allah” instead of “God.” Noting that God does not care what we call him, Muskens thought, why not yield a little to Muslim ways?

Or would that be submit, the literal meaning of “Islam”?

“ ‘Allah’ is a very beautiful word for God,” Muskens said on Dutch television. “Shouldn’t we all say that from now on we will name God ‘Allah’?”

Muskens pointed out that in Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim country where he spent eight years, priests use the word “Allah” in Catholic Mass.

For the sake of peace, prosperity and clarity in the shire, let the record reflect that Muslims did not ask for this, though some in the Netherlands embraced the idea as a conciliatory gesture, and in the United States, some Muslims greeted the suggestion with enthusiasm.

Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, told Fox News.com that calling God “Allah” wouldn’t require a theological leap for Christians. “It reinforces the fact that Muslims, Christians and Jews all worship the same God,” Hooper said.

Besides, as Muskens pointed out, “Allah” is a lovely sounding word.

Thus, in the spirit of Christian charity and Western tolerance, I’ve been trying it out with mixed results.

The Doxology of my Protestant childhood is problematic with the two-syllable Allah instead of the monosyllabic God, but not impossible: Praise Allah, from whom all blessings flow. Praise him, all creatures here below. Not perfect, but workable.

America’s familiar childhood blessing is downright euphonious: Allah is great, Allah is good, let us thank him for our food. But the Apostle’s Creed is a mess: I believe in Allah the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ his only son ... . Oops.

Contrary to Hooper’s one-God claim, Christians and Muslims don’t really worship the same God. Although both religions are monotheistic — and if there’s just one God, there’s just one God — Christians believe Jesus was the Son of God and Muslims think otherwise. That’s not a small doctrinal difference. In fact, at the risk of exhausting the obvious, Christianity doesn’t exist without, um, Christ.

Changing Western language, symbols and making other accommodations to ease relations between old Europe and new isn’t only a conciliatory gesture or even mere appeasement. It is submission by any other name.

Language may be a manmade limitation, as Janaan Hashim said, speaking for the Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago, which endorses Muskens’ idea. But language is not meaningless.

Muskens conceded that his idea likely wouldn’t catch on right away. We might need another 100 years or so, but he predicted that, eventually, “Allah” will be the word. Given that European Muslims are procreating at three times the rate of non-Muslims, it may be sooner than that. Peace be upon us.

© 2007 Washington Post Writers Group

Source

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.