PDA

View Full Version : Abondoning actions for the sake of the people

Umm Yoosuf
08-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Abondoning actions for the sake of the people

Written by/Said by: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez ibn 'Abdullaah ar-Rajhi
Taken from: http://www.sh-rajhi.com - fatwaa #647

http://www.masjiduthaymeen.org/

Question: Is the one who abandons an action for the sake of the people (a form of) riyaa’ (showing off)? Like the person who has a habit of praying the night prayer and he travels with a group of people who do not pray the night prayer, so he abandons it, because he is afraid that he may fall into riyaa’.

Answer: The Scholars say: Actions for the sake of the people is shirk [1] and abandoning actions for the sake of the people is also shirk [1]. And the one free (or exempted) from this is the one whom Allaah pardons. It is upon a person to struggle with his own soul and not leave off the actions. He should struggle with his own soul. If he abandons the actions for the sake of the people, then he has fallen into riyaa’.

Performing actions for the sake of the people is riyaa’ and abandoning the actions for the sake of the people is also riyaa’. But it is upon the man to struggle with his own soul and seek assistance from Allaah and not abandon the actions. Yes. Perhaps he will be a role model. Perhaps there is a benefit in it, that he will be a role model (for the other people).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Translator’s Note: The type of shirk the Shaykh is referring to here is hidden shirk.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
08-17-2007, 10:09 PM
hmm... i see

everything is according to niyaa' tho, allahu a'lam. what if that man gives it up sincerely to please Allah....

Malaikah
08-18-2007, 09:39 AM
:sl:

How would giving up the night prayer please Allah? :D

IbnAbdulHakim
08-18-2007, 11:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

How would giving up the night prayer please Allah? :D
becoz u are afraid that u might get happy by pleasin the other people thus commiting minor shirk in front of Allah at night or you might always "WANT" them to see you etc :D loadsa reasons sis, and if u giv it up "SINCERELY" becoz u dnt want that to happen and want Allah to stay happy with you then i see nothing wrong with that !

again its all according to intention right ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
08-18-2007, 12:23 PM

Well that is what I used to think but I have read, and as the first post highlights, it is not correct to do so... It is actually a trick of the shaytan apparently to make you think that way, to stop you from doing the good deeds. You are meant to do the good deed anyway and focus hard on not showing off.

Allah knows best!

IbnAbdulHakim
08-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Well that is what I used to think but I have read, and as the first post highlights, it is not correct to do so... It is actually a trick of the shaytan apparently to make you think that way, to stop you from doing the good deeds. You are meant to do the good deed anyway and focus hard on not showing off.

Allah knows best!
makes sense, jazakAllah :D

but still i dont think its shirk to giv it up

highway_trekker
08-18-2007, 03:37 PM

Allah knows best!
Yes...

Its like a man who stands to pray and fears lengthening his prayer because of the presence of others in the room...so he shortens it as to complete it quickly...

or the man...who continues standing, fighting his soul...careless of the people...lengthening it more so that he overcomes the difficulty of riyaa'...

The first can be sincerity...but so can the second....and in this case...the second example is harder...so the abd' stands for the harder trial to strengthen him...

nocturne
08-22-2007, 06:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by highway_trekker
Yes...

Its like a man who stands to pray and fears lengthening his prayer because of the presence of others in the room...so he shortens it as to complete it quickly...

or the man...who continues standing, fighting his soul...careless of the people...lengthening it more so that he overcomes the difficulty of riyaa'...

The first can be sincerity...but so can the second....and in this case...the second example is harder...so the abd' stands for the harder trial to strengthen him...
Assalam,

i completely agree.

Let's say one day you go to mosque to pray with your frend. Both of you finish your faral (compulsory) prayer, and then u decide to proceed to your suneth prayers. but your friend is already leaving the mosque, so if u chose to follow him out, then its clearly wrong.

It happens all the time, in every single thing in life. Most of our marriages contain alot of haram entertainment to please our society. We also take so much effort to please the society but not god.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-22-2007, 09:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by highway_trekker
Yes...

mashaAllah, excellent post :)

noodles
08-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Very sorry for bringing this topic back. My question is related to this so I decided to bring back this thread instead of creating a new one.

I know each and every Muslim undergoes trial and tribulations, and in doing so the outcome could be either strengthening of the Imaan or weakening of it. Often, when my Imaan is weak, I've noticed that I do not hasten towards good because I fear people might interpret my actions as 'showing off' (as someone else put it)

For example, before the Friday prayer starts in my local mosque, there is a collection of money for Zakat. Before coming to the mosque I make an intention of spending a certain amount in the path of Allah s.w.t. However, usually the person collecting passes by and I hesitate because I feel as if people are watching to see how much I will put inside the bag. Most times I forget to give it to the office also after prayers.

Islam teaches us to be humble and modest in our attitude as opposed to being proud and arrogant. But whenever I achieve/complete some task(be it trivial or crucial) a part of me feels pretentious and as a result I fear I may be showing off. I've tried to shrug it off a number of times, but the feeling is very overbearing.

I know its really hard to not let it swell to your ego, but how exactly do you accomplish that?

It is not just when I'm around other people either. These things happen even when I'm alone.

Jazakallah for the reply.
(and please do excuse my grammar, I haven't a clue why it sounds so queer)

Umm Yoosuf
08-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh Br noodles

I think this is just simply shaytan tricking you and really, you should ignore it. If your intention was, clear to start with in that it was for Allah than your intention was pure Alhamdulilaah. You’re not alone am sure many people feel like this as well. I was reading an article once and someone was complaining that whenever they pray in public (i.e Masjid) they feel as though they are showing off so they shorten their sujud, however it was advised that they make the sujud lengthy! Why? Because shaydan was trying to trick them.

Allah knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.