/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Using left hand for writing

Ebtisweetsam
08-21-2007, 12:21 PM
:sl:
Does anyone know the ruling for using the left hand for writing.... Please note I am not talking about eating, as i know you should use the right hand. But what if you can only write and draw with your left? Do you have to re-learn to write???:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
09-02-2007, 03:59 AM

I've never heard anything about it being haram sis... I don't see why it would be. :?

Ebtisweetsam
09-03-2007, 02:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I've never heard anything about it being haram sis... I don't see why it would be. :?
Well someone has told me that by using th eleft hand, u are not going by the saying of the Prophet PBUH, that good/clean is for the right and dirty for the left. This is why i am confused about this issue....

Sami Zaatari
09-03-2007, 02:54 AM
you clean yourself with left, and you eat with right, as for writing it doesnt matter. :)

and btw the reason you eat with right and not left is cause satan eats with his left hand that demented evil cursed outcast, hence we want to be different

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ebtisweetsam
09-03-2007, 03:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
you clean yourself with left, and you eat with right, as for writing it doesnt matter. :)

and btw the reason you eat with right and not left is cause satan eats with his left hand that demented evil cursed outcast, hence we want to be different
Do u have any scholar's opinion on this? U know for me to show someone as proof?

Sami Zaatari
09-03-2007, 03:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
Do u have any scholar's opinion on this? U know for me to show someone as proof?
hadiths :) theyre easy to find but im lazy now as its 4 18 am :( sorry......

but as for a scholars opinion on left hand writing, i know of none! scholars never mention it.

NoName55
09-03-2007, 03:20 AM
exercise your brain by practice writing with you right hand 20 minutes daily for next month and see what difference it makes

Malaikah
09-03-2007, 06:52 AM

sis you should ask your friend what proof she has, in terms of what scholars have said, not what she thinks is correct. Was it a shiekh who mentioned that? I mean, seriously... people don't choose which hand they want to write with!

Md Mashud
09-03-2007, 07:46 AM
I am pretty sure that you should be writing with your right hand its not a matter of doesnt matter..

Michael
09-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Why is there such a stigma attached to the left hand in Islam? I know in the old days the left hand was the hand that wiped your bottom, but these days we have much more hygienic facilities and hand that wiped your bottom would no longer be dirty.

Malaikah
09-03-2007, 10:18 AM
That is not true. I remember watching a study showing how much bacteria would be caught on to a persons hand if they didn't wash after using the bathroom. Man, it was gross.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-03-2007, 10:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud
I am pretty sure that you should be writing with your right hand its not a matter of doesnt matter..
affa rights wiv her left hand man :confused:

dunno but she tried rightin wiv her right hand loadsa times, she cant do it.

weird huh :ooh:

sapphire
09-03-2007, 11:10 AM
going to think about it....Nabi (s.a.w) couldn't write as he was illiterate......therefore he was neither right handed nor left handed....so its not exactly a point where someone will come along and say 'but Nabi (s.a.w) was right/left handed' as proof as to which handed your meant to be :rollseyes.......

maybe what i said has no relevance to this thread but just thought i'd mention it....

first time i ever heard about this right/left hand issue.....

S_87
09-03-2007, 03:04 PM

theres nothing wrong with being left handed generally though there are certain hands for certain things.

Hafsah radhiallahu anha the wife of the Prophet :arabic5: reported that the Prophet :arabic5: used to use his right hand for eating, drinking and getting dressed and his left hand for everything else
Abu dawood

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

“This is a fixed rule in sharee’ah. It has to do with honourable things such as putting on one’s shirt, trousers and shoes, entering the mosque, using siwaak, applying kohl, … combing and styling one’s hair, … shaving the head, giving salaam at the end of prayer, washing oneself in ghusl or wudoo’, leaving the toilet, eating, drinking, shaking hands, acknowledging the Black Stone, and other things where we are encouraged to use the right hand or start with the right. As for the opposite [things that are not honourable], such as entering the toilet, leaving the mosque, blowing one’s nose, washing oneself after using the toilet, taking off one's shirt, trousers and shoes, and so on, then we should start with the left or use the left hand. All of this has to do with honouring the right hand or right side.”
(from islamqa)

Kittygyal
09-03-2007, 06:06 PM

Im left handed aswel. it's hard writing with right but im trying tho!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.