/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Use of Siwak & Perfume Whilst Fasting

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-23-2007, 02:27 AM
The Use of Siwak & Perfume Whilst Fasting

Question:

What is the ruling on a fasting person using the Siwak [1] and perfume?

Answer:

The correct opinion is that it is a Sunnah for the fasting person to use the Siwak both at the beginning of the day and at the end of it, based upon the generality of the statement of the Prophet sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam:

السِّواك مطهرة للفم مرضاة للربِّ

”The Siwak purifies the mouth and it is pleasing to the Lord.” [2]

He sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam also said:

لو لا أن أَشق على أٌمتي لأَمرتهم بالسِّواك مع كل صلاةٍ

”If it were not that it would burden be a burden upon my people, I would have ordered them to use the Siwak before every prayer.” [3]

ِِAs for perfume, likewise, it is permissible for the fasting person at the start of the day and at the end of it, whether the perfume is incense, oil or anything else. But it is not permissible for him to sniff the incense, because incense has particles which can be felt and seen, and if he sniffs it, it will rise up into his nose and then to his stomach, which is why the Prophet sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said to Laqit bin Sabirah, may Allaah be pleased with him:

بالغ في الاستنشاق إِلا أن تكون صائما

”Exaggerate in sniffing water into the nose (i.e. during ablution) except when you are fasting.” [4]

[1] Siwak: A twig taken from the roots of the arak tree and used as a toothbrush.

[2] Reported by al-Bukhari in the Book of Fasting, in the Chapter: The Moist and Dry Siwak for the Fasting Person.

[3] Reported by al-Bukhari in the Book of Fasting, in the Chapter: The Moist and Dry Siwak for the Fasting Person and by Muslim in the Book of Purification, in the Chapter: The Siwak (252).

[4] Reported by Abu Dawud in the Book of Istinthar (Blowing Water Out of the Nose) (142); by At-Tirmithi in the Book of Purification, in the Chapter: What Has Been Said Regarding Washing Between the Toes (38); by An-Nasa’I in the Book of Purification, in the Chapter: Istinshaq (Sniffing Water Through the Nose) to the highest Degree (87); and by Ibn Majah in the Book of Purification and its Sunan, in the Chapter: Washing Between the Fingers and Toes (448).

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen
Fatawa Arkaanul-Islaam, DARUSSALAM, Vol.2, p.648
courtesy of fatwaislam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Na7lah
08-23-2007, 02:31 AM
:salaam:

Barakallah Fik sis :)

Ma'salamah

Abdul-Raouf
08-23-2007, 02:34 AM
Jazakallah khair....

Abdullah4ever
08-23-2007, 03:14 AM
Jazakallah Khair, Masha'allah very usefull knowledge.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zarhad
08-23-2007, 03:37 AM
i was having a discussion with a woman the other day who told me she mimicks the actions of wuudu in her mouth and nose during ramadan so that she does not break her fast by swollowing or absorbing any water in her mouth

is this correct, ive always done it normally, is it possile to break fast well doing wuudu?

Abdullah4ever
08-23-2007, 03:42 AM
As long as you dont swallow it then i think its ok, because i asked my teacher the same question.

zarhad
08-23-2007, 03:54 AM
I thought so too but its always good to questiona nd correct and be corrected it makes us better as people..thank you :)

Pk_#2
08-29-2007, 06:08 PM
jzkAllah khr

i dint knw dt..u knw miswak n siwak..dey sme fng?

prfme is always strng..so i gues u shdnt myt accdntly sniff it :X

Aishah (RA) was asked what the Prophet (pbuh) used to do first when he came home. She said: “Use siwak.” (Muslim).

It is reported that ‘Omar (RA) used to say: “Whoever spends a third of his wealth on perfume is not being extravagant.”

'when a man goes out to meet his brothers, let him prepare himself properly, for Allah is beautiful and loves beauty.”” prophet

srce: http://www.iccuk.org

tc peace.

Intisar
08-29-2007, 07:21 PM
:sl: Barakallahu Feek and Jazakallah Khairan ukhtee. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.