/* */

PDA

View Full Version : regarding meat

Ummu Sufyaan
08-24-2007, 06:26 AM
:sl:
is going to the local supermarket/deli, eg coles, woolies, etc and buying for example chicken drumsticks permissible, as i have seen some people do this, and feel abit weird about it.

jazakallahu khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
08-25-2007, 11:39 AM
no one yet??

*~Sofia~*
08-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Salam sister,

I found this link regarding your questions:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...n=eng&txt=meat

It says you are allowed to eat the meat, even tho u are unsure if it's halal.
I never knew this myself.. i thought, meat that was not slaughtered in the name of Allah was haram.. but this says otherwise...

hope this helps...tho it's kinda confused me! lol

See As’ilat al-Baab il-Maftooh, vol. 1, p. 77, by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him).

w'salam

Salaam
08-25-2007, 11:47 AM
the question is, is it Halal? if it is, and it is proven then it is ok, but if it is not then you should not buy from there. If you want to be sure 100% if the meat is halal then buy from HMC approved Butchers, which you can find here http://www.halalmc.co.uk/certified_o..._butchers.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
08-25-2007, 11:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *~Sofia~*
Salam sister,

I found this link regarding your questions:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...n=eng&txt=meat

I never knew this myself.. i thought, meat that was not slaughtered in the name of Allah was haram.. but this says otherwise...

hope this helps...tho it's kinda confused me! lol

See As’ilat al-Baab il-Maftooh, vol. 1, p. 77, by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him).

w'salam
jazakallahu khair.
that helped alot!! that has averted alot of arguments. i htought you only say the name of allah over the meat that has been slaughted by the people of the book, i didn't know it was just anyone. by the way, what bit confused you and why.

Malaikah
08-25-2007, 12:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *~Sofia~*

But the condition was that it was provided to you by a Muslim. Obviously you aren't going to ask a Muslim if his meat is halal or not (how insulting :uuh:). Allowance was also given for food presented by a Jew or Christian because we are allowed to eat their meat.

Your local supermarket is not Muslim/Jew/Christian so as far as I know it does not apply.

Malaikah
08-25-2007, 12:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
jazakallahu khair.
that helped alot!! that has averted alot of arguments. i htought you only say the name of allah over the meat that has been slaughted by the people of the book, i didn't know it was just anyone. by the way, what bit confused you and why.
You have misunderstood!

Sorry needed to make it bright so you didn't miss it! :D

The fatwa said:

But by the grace of Allaah, if an action is done by the appropriate people, then the basic principle is that it is sound and valid unless there is evidence to the contrary.

Appropriate people means Muslim/Christian/Jew, NOT just anyone!

If there comes to us meat that has been slaughtered by a Muslim, a Jew or a Christian, then we do not ask about it and we do not say, “How was it slaughtered? [...]

I hope you haven't rushed of to coles already. :X

*~Sofia~*
08-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Salam sis,

glad it helped you out :D the bit im confused about is that i thought any meat that wasn't slaughtered in the name of Allah was haram.
Say the name of Allaah yourself and eat.
so even if you think it's haram, just say the above and it'll be ok to eat?
dnt get it :?

Ummu Sufyaan
08-25-2007, 12:09 PM
yeah thats what my qn was.

and thanks sis malaikah. saw it loud and clear. lol and no i havn't rushed off anywhere. im too tired too.

*~Sofia~*
08-25-2007, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

But the condition was that it was provided to you by a Muslim. Obviously you aren't going to ask a Muslim if his meat is halal or not (how insulting :uuh:). Allowance was also given for food presented by a Jew or Christian because we are allowed to eat there meat.

Your local supermarket is not Muslim/Jew/Christian so as far as I know it does not apply.
ohhhhhhh ritteeeeeeeeeee! lol duh! :rollseyes i get it now!

But by the grace of Allaah, if an action is done by the appropriate people, then the basic principle is that it is sound and valid unless there is evidence to the contrary

^I understand this bit now.
jazakhallah :D

Malaikah
08-25-2007, 12:10 PM

Edit- just realised you already understood. lol well I wrote up the post so it is here to stay. :p

As far as I understood that was only if you aren't sure. But if you know for fact that it is haram then you can't eat it.

Also, do note that there is a difference of opinion in this matter. Some scholars say that you have to ask if, for example, the person offering you the meat is known to eat non-halal meat, or if the person was a Christian, in which case they have totally abandoned the proper way of slaughtering and do it in a secular way that does not require saying Allahs name- there are no rules. This meat is haram even though it comes from a Christian.

Alhamdulilah the Jews have very strict rules on slaughtering, even stricter than the Islamic rules and so we can eat food they label as kosher, but you need to be a little careful because they are allowed to add a small amount of alcohol to their food.

*~Sofia~*
08-25-2007, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
yeah thats what my qn was. i also just read this fatwa also. read the second paragraph (i think its that one).

and thanks sis malaikah. saw it loud and clear. lol
;D yeh sister malaikah really helped me understand it lol... i feel so stupid sumtymes! duh :rollseyes lol

Ummu Sufyaan
08-25-2007, 12:14 PM
found this one too!! http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ln...rowse&QR=20805

Khalisah
04-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I’m confused… Do Christians and Jews slaughter meat in the name of Allah? I’ve never heard that. I don’t know any Christians who slaughter meat in the name of Allah... Perhaps I just don’t know many practicing Christians. Is there any other proof that we are able to eat their meat other than ‘islamqa’, please? I’m finding it hard to understand how it can be Halal to us, when I thought that the biggest thing that made our meat Halal was the fact that we slaughtered it by saying “Bismillah’?
I can see this thread was started a long time ago.. I hope no one minds me bringing it back up.
Take care

Pk_#2
04-21-2008, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by darkchocolate
I’m confused… Do Christians and Jews slaughter meat in the name of Allah? I’ve never heard that. I don’t know any Christians who slaughter meat in the name of Allah... Perhaps I just don’t know many practicing Christians. Is there any other proof that we are able to eat their meat other than ‘islamqa’, please? I’m finding it hard to understand how it can be Halal to us, when I thought that the biggest thing that made our meat Halal was the fact that we slaughtered it by saying “Bismillah’?
I can see this thread was started a long time ago.. I hope no one minds me bringing it back up.
Take care
Nah but they are the 'people of the book'

Fishman
04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that hardly any meat that calls itself halal is actually halal. Many butchers just write the bismillah on the blade of the mechanical slaughter machine, or have the prayer recorded on a CD, which is played in the slaughterhouse. To make matters worse, people stick to the easy rules of slaughter (i.e. don't stun the animal), whilst ignoring the hard ones (i.e. kill the animal with a swift, clean blow to the throat with a sharp knife), which leads to horrible things happening, like animals being pulled through mechanical slaughter machines completely aware of what is going on.

And I challenge you to find free-range halal chickens anywhere other than the internet. Supposedly halal chickens are probably kept in boxes all their lives, to add to the suffering.

As for your fatwas on the subject, can you find one from a site other than Islam-qa, as I boycott it and its extremist rulings about forcing conversions and stuff.

''Rejoice the Holocaust''

''Kill non-Muslims who don't live under Muslim rule''

:w:

.: Jannati :.
04-21-2008, 10:42 PM
whilst still on the topic of meat right :? whats all this about Quorn?! is it meat? or summat else ??! i aint blonde just wondered :-[

Snowflake
04-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Nah but they are the 'people of the book'
O keri Book oye? Which Book? :hmm:

most of these peeps don't even wash their hands after going to the toilet and we're going to be eating meat slaughtered by todays so called PPl of the 'it once existed Book'

maaf karo! +o(

snakelegs
04-22-2008, 04:53 AM
if you're talking about meat from the average supermarket, i am sure it would be haram because the tables, knives etc etc are also used for pork.

glo
04-22-2008, 07:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
most of these peeps don't even wash their hands after going to the toilet and we're going to be eating meat slaughtered by todays so called PPl of the 'it once existed Book'
Well, there are food hygiene regulations, which are strictly controlled.
Any food processing company does well to abide by them, or risk closure.

Being a 'person of the Book' myself, I cannot help but feel slightly hurt by your very sweeping judgment, sis. :(

Snowflake
04-22-2008, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Well, there are food hygiene regulations, which are strictly controlled.
Any food processing company does well to abide by them, or risk closure.

Being a 'person of the Book' myself, I cannot help but feel slightly hurt by your very sweeping judgment, sis. :(
:( I'm sorry Glo, please forgive me for hurting your feelings by what I said. I should've been clear as to what I meant. I believed that todays christians and jews arent people of the Book since their scriptures are corrupted. I've since been told that they still are classed as people of the book. However in terms of hygiene I was referring to people who do not practice their faith at all and just call themselves christians. I should've been clear. Please forgive me Glo. :(

Nerd
04-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Here is a set of guidelines to slaughter meat to ensure its Halal for Muslim consumption:

-The halal slaughter shall be physically separated from non-halal slaughter;

-slaughtering shall be performed only by a Muslim who is mentally sound, fully understands the fundamental rules and conditions related to the slaughter of animals in Islam and he shall not be in ihram;

-the act of slaughtering shall be done with niyyah (intention) and the slaughterman is well aware of his action;

-the purpose of slaughtering is only for Allah and not for other purposes;

-the animal to be slaughtered has to be an animal that is halal;

-the animal to be slaughtered shall be alive or deemed to be alive (hayat al-mustaqirrah) at the time of slaughter;

-animals to be slaughtered shall be healthy and have been approved by the competent authority;

-the phrase الرحيم بسم الله الرحمن (In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful) has to be invoked immediately before slaughtering;

-slaughtering knife or blade shall be sharp

-slaughtering lines, tools and utensils shall be dedicated for halal slaughter only;

-slaughtering shall be done only once. The “sawing action” of the slaughtering is permitted as long as the slaughtering knife or blade is not lifted off the animal during the slaughtering;

-bones, nails and teeth shall not be used as slaughtering tools;

-the act of halal slaughter shall begin with an incision on the neck at some point just below the glottis (Adam’s apple) and after the glottis for long necked animals;

-the slaughter act shall sever the trachea (halqum), oesophagus (mari’) and both the carotid arteries and jugular veins (wadajain) to hasten the bleeding and death of the animal. The bleeding shall be spontaneous and complete;

-a trained Muslim inspector shall be appointed and be responsible to check that the animals are properly slaughtered according to the Shariah law.

Nerd
04-22-2008, 11:44 AM
As for Quorn its a Single cell protein derived from microbes... well the nice thing about it is.. it tastes like meat ....

aamirsaab
04-22-2008, 11:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by LuvAlSunnah
whilst still on the topic of meat right :? whats all this about Quorn?! is it meat? or summat else ??! i aint blonde just wondered :-[
It is not meat. The products are made out of Mycoprotein (which is a type of fungus). They are suitable for vegetarians and muslim diets since they contain no haram ingredients. I have not consumed any of the Quorn products as of yet so do not know what they taste like - I'd much rather go to my local halal butchers and purchase good ol' fashion meat products from there :).

For more details on Quorn, visit their website:
Universal website - can chose your country

UK page

Nerd
04-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Quorn is made from Fungus aamirsaab

.: Jannati :.
04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nerd
Quorn is made from Fungus aamirsaab
oh jazaakAllah amirsaab and Nerd, but isn't fungus a bad thing? :S :?

glo
04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
:( I'm sorry Glo, please forgive me for hurting your feelings by what I said. I should've been clear as to what I meant. I believed that todays christians and jews arent people of the Book since their scriptures are corrupted. I've since been told that they still are classed as people of the book. However in terms of hygiene I was referring to people who do not practice their faith at all and just call themselves christians. I should've been clear. Please forgive me Glo. :(
Please don't worry, Muslimah Sis.
I knew you didn't mean it personally, and there was no need to react defensively. I apologise too - for being stroppy! :-[

Out of interest - the holy books of the Jews and Christians were (according to Islamic teachings) already corrupted at Muhammed's time ... otherwise God would not have needed to give his message one more time.
I am assuming that Muhammed (or indeed Allah himself) referred to the Jews and Christians as People of the Book because, corrupted as their teachings may be, they still held a certain amount of truth.

So what's wrong with calling us People of the Book? After all, that what Allah himself calls us ...

Pk_#2
04-22-2008, 09:42 PM
O keri Book oye? Which Book? :hmm:

maaf karo! +o(
'The books' innay,

As for 'Maaf karo' not sutin I can do, But I think sis Glo forgiven ya!

Snowflake
04-22-2008, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Please don't worry, Muslimah Sis.
I knew you didn't mean it personally, and there was no need to react defensively. I apologise too - for being stroppy! :-[

Out of interest - the holy books of the Jews and Christians were (according to Islamic teachings) already corrupted at Muhammed's time ... otherwise God would not have needed to give his message one more time.
I am assuming that Muhammed (or indeed Allah himself) referred to the Jews and Christians as People of the Book because, corrupted as their teachings may be, they still held a certain amount of truth.

So what's wrong with calling us People of the Book? After all, that what Allah himself calls us ...
You've no need to apologise Glo. You had the right to object. It was 1am and I suppose my crankiness got the better of me for shooting my mouth off.

And you are absolutely right. It was my ignorance and misunderstanding that I believed what I did. Thank God, a scholar explained this to me this morning. It a nice feeling that despite the Books being corrupted, Christians and Jews are still called People of the Book. :statisfie

I've also sent you an apology in PM. Sorry again (((hugz)))

aamirsaab
04-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Some are, some aren't

At least, that's what I was told in gcse biology class :p.

Malaikah
04-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Nope. The vast majority of microorganisms are harmless, some are even very important for our health!

As for fungi, look at something like penicillin - its saved countless lives, and is derived from a fungus!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.