/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How about a glossary?

*~Sofia~*
08-25-2007, 10:08 AM
:sl: everyone..

I was thinking.. maybe we should have like a glossary section.. for all the islamic words and arabic terms. For new muslims or even people like me who knows only the few basic islamic terms and hardly any arabic ones :X .. it could prove to be quite useful.

w'salam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*~Sofia~*
08-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Salam bro,

yeh i just did a search and found the thread, its in the Miscallaneous section as a sticky, and its pretty gud too, just what i had in mind!

i guess this thread can be closed then.. not much use now, should have dun a quick search beforehand :rollseyes lol

Jazakhallah

:threadclo

w'salam

snakelegs
08-27-2007, 08:31 AM
yes there are threads and they are helpful, but disorganized.
here is a good glossary:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/glossary.html
i'm sure there are others on line as well.

*~Sofia~*
08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
^ jazakhallah snakelegs, that link you gave is really gud,i prefer it in alphabetical order actually, easier to find the words u are looking for.. so thnx! It's gonna come in handy :) :thumbs_up

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noodles
08-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Haha! I remember snakelegs asking this exact same question a while back :P

*~Sofia~*
08-27-2007, 02:35 PM
lol ;D

Abu Ibraheem
08-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Thats a brillant idea, with hard working mods and Admins, we could have a simular thing to wikipedia happening right here... its some work but its an excellent idea.

We could have each Arabic word mentioned within the forum linking back to its meaning so all one can do is click on it. I reckon the Admins should also standartdise the transliteration so that when somebody types in Allah it automatically changes to Allāh with the line above the a, and then a hyperlink leading to the meaning. This can be all done via the control panel.
using the same method you would replace a swear word with *$%^£" or somewhat simular. I really hope that automatic word linking can be done. It would be a good idea to see how wikipedia have done it, because they probaly did not do it manually but automatically, so when people type in the word that is already regeistered in the database it will automatically display a hyperlink.

DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS IDEA

snakelegs
08-28-2007, 01:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
Haha! I remember snakelegs asking this exact same question a while back :P
yep, you're right. i gave up and looked elsewhere. ;D
actually there are several glossaries on line. to me, consulting one of them is much more efficient than the one here.
a glossary that was more organized would be useful on the forum, but it would have to be on every forum about islam and it is probably simpler to just seek it out online.
however, maybe a few links to glossaries would be useful as a sticky on each islam forum...

kwolney01
09-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I think that is a great idea, because I want to convert and I always have to ask what certian words and sometimes I forget to ask fellow muslims what words mean. Great idea

:sl:

*~Sofia~*
09-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Salam sister :)

Im glad you think it's a good idea, jazakhallah :) snakelegs gave me this link, its a glossary and it's prettty good :thumbs_up

This is what i have been using these days :D

Check it out...

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/glossary.html

Hope it helps you just as much it's helped me!

Peace out
x

-S-
09-16-2007, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Ibraheem
Thats a brillant idea, with hard working mods and Admins, we could have a simular thing to wikipedia happening right here... its some work but its an excellent idea.

We could have each Arabic word mentioned within the forum linking back to its meaning so all one can do is click on it. I reckon the Admins should also standartdise the transliteration so that when somebody types in Allah it automatically changes to Allāh with the line above the a, and then a hyperlink leading to the meaning. This can be all done via the control panel.
using the same method you would replace a swear word with *$%^£" or somewhat simular. I really hope that automatic word linking can be done. It would be a good idea to see how wikipedia have done it, because they probaly did not do it manually but automatically, so when people type in the word that is already regeistered in the database it will automatically display a hyperlink.

DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS IDEA
salams

have you seen this idea anywhere on a forum

its good i like it but whether its technically possible is another thing!

Woodrow
09-16-2007, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -S-
salams

have you seen this idea anywhere on a forum

its good i like it but whether its technically possible is another thing!
I think that is an excellent suggestion. However, it may be difficult for us to implement and keep up to date for accuracy etc.

Perhaps an alternative would be a closed stickey thread with links to a few excellent online glossaries such as these:

http://www.islam101.com/selections/glossaryA.html

http://www.--------------/about/resources/glossary.html

http://www.islamicity.com/IslamicGlossary/

I think we would have difficulty in keeping up with the appropriate definitions. Although We could keep the most common definitions it is difficult to keep a search able glossary updated for definitions under all applicable circumstances.

the same word in Arabic can fluctuate depending on the context. so a word if used Qur'anicaly may not actually be the same meaning if used in say commerce or technology.

I believe the best option would be to use some existing on line glossaries. Do a sticky closed thread and have it in categories (posts) such as

Qur'an
Islam
Colloquial
Technical

In each group have links to existing online glossaries that we have found to be accurate.

NoName55
09-16-2007, 03:26 PM
it is easy but time consuming to set up.

put all words into sensored words filter

example filter gets changed to filter

(that is my homespun idea as I have no knowlede of programming)

something useful could be found here:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=136242
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=194

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.