/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan Re-Runs

anonymous
09-02-2007, 07:40 PM
:sl:

Ramadan Re-Runs

"Children, it's the month of Ramadan again. Can anyone tell me why you fast during this month?

"Oh, I know I know! It's so we know how the poor feel like Miss!"

"Mis! Misss! We stop eating because we need to save up money for Eid!"

But what's the real reason that we fast? It's explained in the Qur'an, when Allah says (translation of the meaning)

Oh you who believe, fasting has been prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may attain Taqwa. Qur'an Surah Al Baqarah (2: 183)

Taqwa's like being aware of Allah/God, like He's watching you and aware of all that we do. This attribute's really important in a Muslim because being aware of Allah keeps you constant in doing good and staying away from evil, even when there aren't other people there watching over you. When you obey Allah, - whether it's in private or public – you hope for His reward. If you disobey Him, you fear His punishment, yet you love Him because He is Merciful and has given you all that you have, and ever will have.

Now think about it, if everyone had Taqwa – wouldn't society be better as a whole for everyone? I totally think so. If everyone had Taqwa, they wouldn't do evil in private or public, because they would always be aware that the Almighty is watching over them.

Anyway, back to fasting. Let's discuss some issues which a lot of Muslims face throughout the Ramadan cycle.
Fasting for each day begins at dawn and ends at sunset. During these daylight hours, a fasting person must abstain from food, drink, and sexual intercourse. These activities are permissible from sunset to the following dawn.

Fasting teaches self-control and patience. Like prayer, it is a way of turning to Allah in sincere worship.

Maybe we can focus on some obstacles we face in Ramadan, and maybe learn how to overcome the confusion;

The Moon: Oh no! I said the word didn't I? Yup, what Masjid (Mosque) shall I follow; do they all have different moons for some reason? Arabia's probably one day ahead of us again, and my Masjid's one day behind? Oh and there's the odd guy who wants to follow the sub-continent for some reason (that mean's that he's probably one day back even more!) So what am I supposed to do?

The best thing to do is to stick to the fasting and Eid of the local Masjid you usually go to. I have read fatwa's' where it's stated that it's better to unite upon what the majority of Muslims have agreed upon within the country. But still, no-one's wrong, so if someone does it one day before or after you, then remember that this person is your Muslim brother/sister, and that small issues like this shouldn't break our unity. It should only make us happier that we have longer holidays!

Intentions: Some people just fast in Ramadan because they feel that others might look down on them. I've seen some other people who can't even be bothered fasting at all now, which is really sad. Anyway, if you're fasting – do it while intending to draw closer to Allah, if you do it for His sake, your reward is with Him, the All Rich, who appreciates every good you do for Him. If you do it for the people – then your reward is with them, and there isn't really much reward in that except the 2min fame.

The Asthma/Inhaler/Injection Debate: A lot of people who have Asthma even fast, which is something great. But a lot of people get confused because they don't know whether they're permitted to use an Inhaler if there getting an Asthma attack. Will this break their fast?

The people of knowledge have said:
The asthma medication that the patient uses by inhaling it reaches the lungs via the trachea and does not reach the stomach, so it is not food or drink or anything of the sort… So it seems that the fast is not broken by using this medicine.

[Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/130]

Similar has been said about injections, i.e. that they do not break the fast. So long as the injection is not a nutritive (nutritious /nourishing) injection.

Accidentally Eating: Slowly drop the roti down and step away from that jug of lassi.. and even that chicken leg! "But..bu..but I forgot I was fasting, sorry."

Allah says: "There is no blame on you for what you do by mistake, but only for what your hearts have deliberately resolved upon." [Qur'an 33 : 5]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Whoever forgets he (or she) is fasting and eats or drinks something should complete his fast, for it is merely that Allah has given him food and drink." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1933)] But remember that Allah knows your intentions, so if you really didn't know – then you still have your fast, but you stop eating straightaway once you remember (You don't have to make up your fast either.) If you knew and pretended to forget, then you're sinful and have broken your fast purposely.

Backbiting

*Munch munch* … taste nice? Imagine chewing on the back of your brother, and even worse – in Ramadan. Not so tasty now huh?

Allah says:

O you who believe! Avoid much suspicions, indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting). And fear Allah. Verily, Allah is the One Who accepts repentance, Most Merciful.

[Qur'an 49: 11-12]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) defined backbiting in the following way:
He said: "Do you know what backbiting is?" His companions said: "Allah and His Messenger know best." He said: "It is to mention about your brother something that he would dislike having mentioned about him." [Sahîh Muslim (2589)] Someone enquired: "O Messenger of Allah! How do you see it if what I said about him is true?" He replied: "If what you said about him is true, then you have backbitten him. If what you said about him is false, then you have slandered him." [Sahîh Muslim (2589)]
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Whoever does not abandon false speech and acting falsely, then Allah has no need of his abandoning food and drink." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1903)]
The Prophet (pbuh) said: "If one of you starts off the day fasting, he should avoid obscene speech and ignorant behavior. If someone abuses him or starts to fight with him, he should reply by saying: 'I am fasting. I am fasting'." [Sahîh Muslim (1151)]

Getting Angry

The Prophet said: "The strong person is not the one who can wrestle someone else down. The strong person is the one who can control himself when he is angry." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (5763)
Enough said.

Travelling

You are permitted to break your fast in Ramadan, if you are travelling;

Allah says: "But if anyone is ill or on a journey, then (let him fast the same) number of other days." [Qur'an 2: 185]

Travelling is anything which is the customs of the place where you live. Some scholars have said about 80km (around 50miles.)

A person who intends to travel during the day in Ramadan may not break his fast until he has actually started his journey and distanced himself from the buildings of his town of residence. Only then may he break his fast.

Scholars agree that a traveller is allowed to fast if he wishes to, just as he is permitted to break his fast. However, it is preferable for him to do what is easiest for him. If breaking his fast is easier for him, then that is what is preferred. If it is easier for him to continue fasting until sunset, and if he wishes to fast along with everyone else and not have to make up the day later, then that is what is preferred.

Illness

If a person is ill, or a woman is going through her periods, then they can catch up on their fasts once they recover (after Ramadan.)

but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days" [Qur'an 2:184]

But if someone cannot catch up with their missed fasts, maybe due to old age or some serious illness [which they might not recover from] – they can give a certain amount of money per day (of fasts missed.)
"And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old person), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskeen (poor person) (for every day)" [Qur'an 2:184]

This expiation may be given to one or more poor Muslim people at the beginning of the month or in the middle or at the end. So if you couldn't fast 30 fasts, you need to feed 30 meals at any time of the month (either to 30 people, or one person 30 meals, or 15 people 2 meals etc.) You can feed one poor person for every day that you miss, giving whatever your own family regularly eat in your home (a meal.) A meal in the UK on average is around £3, so it's upto you – maybe you could give a meal from your home, or that money to a poor person every missed day, or give it to the Masjid while explaining your intention so they can use the money in the right way.

Breaking the Fast Purposely

Once a believer has started to perform an obligatory act of worship (in this case, the fasting in Ramadan) – it is compulsory for them to carry it out fully, unless they have a legitimate Islamic excuse. But if a believer breaks their fast, purposely – they have committed a major sin (Since Ramadan is 1 of the 5 pillars of Islam.) And they should ask forgiveness from Allah. Along with this, they are ordered to catch up with that broken/missed fast after, by fasting on a number of days of fasts broken/missed, after Ramadan. (I.e. if they missed 2 fasts in Ramadan, they should fast 2 fasts after Ramadan to catch up.)

Feed People

The Prophet (pbuh) said, "He who gives food for a fasting person to break his fast, he will receive the same reward as him, without nothing being reduced from the fasting person's reward." (Al-Tirmidhi)

Excessive Eating
Allah says: "O children of Adam, take your adornment (by wearing your clean clothes) to every mosque. Eat and drink, but be not excessive. Indeed, He does not like those who commit excess." [Qur'an 7: 31]

I'll just put forward one question for this one; Do you lose more weight during Ramadan, or do you put on more?

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "The human being does not fill up any vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for a person to eat just enough to keep his back straight. If he must eat more, then he can fill a third with food, a third with drink, and leave a third for air." [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (2380)]
Remember:
"Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you, and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful." [Qur'an 2:185]

And the Prophet (pbuh) said:

The smell of the fasting person's breath is sweeter to Allah on the Day of Judgment than that of musk. The fasting person has two occasions for joy, one when he breaks his fast because of his breaking it and the other when he meets his Lord because of the reward for his fast." Sahîh Muslim (1151)

Anyway, just to give a little twist to it – let's see some benefits of fasting;

- Trust & Sincerety - Fasting encourages you to remain aware of Allah, even if no-one is out there spying on you. This then encourages you to remain sincere and trustworthy, to Allah aswell as others. Now who doesn't want a trustworthy friend? - Self Restraint – While you're in the state of fasting, you're forbidden from eating, drinking and intercourse (with ones spouse.) Now if these are usually permissible, and they're not while you're fasting – imagine how much more self restraint and patience you'll have even after Ramadan, from the real forbidden things. Think about it. - Immunity – When you eat too much, your body spends a lot of its time trying to digest the food in the digestive system. However, when you fast – your body spends less time working on the digestive system (due to there not being much food there), and it focuses more of it's time working on your Metabolic & Immune system. This then means you end up being a healthier person! - Body Cleanout – While you're fasting, your body gets rid of toxins that have built up in your body throughout the years. Your body heals itself, and repairs the damaged organs during the fast. - Finally – Just to finish, if your intentions are for the pleasure of Allah/God, then know that your reward is with Him.

And those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, to them We shall surely give lofty dwellings in Paradise, underneath which rivers flow, to live therein forever. Excellent is the reward of the workers. Those who are patient, and put their trust in their Lord (Allah).

[Qur'an 29: 58-9]

We pray to Allah to accept our fasts, and make us of those who He bestows His Mercy upon.

For more relevant info:

http://islamtoday.com/show_sub_secti...9&sub_cat_id=0
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?cref=295&ln=eng

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
unknown_JJ
09-04-2007, 10:27 AM
edit

Pk_#2
09-04-2007, 10:28 AM
jazakillah khair that was really good, AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.