/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn addicts risk lethal lung condition, doctors warn

ahsan28
09-06-2007, 05:25 AM
Popcorn addicts risk lethal lung condition, doctors warn

By Leonard Doyle in Washington
Published: 06 September 2007

Popcorn, the favourite snack can cause a potentially fatal health condition known as popcorn workers' lung, an alarmed public is discovering. The link between the man's illness and popcorn was established by Dr Cecil Rose, who had been dealing with popcorn workers' lung for years as a consultant to the food industry.

"His jaw dropped,' she told The New York Times, 'How could you possibly know that about me? I am Mr Popcorn. I love popcorn'," the patient replied. He had eaten buttery microwave popcorn at least twice a day for the past 10 years. When he broke open the bags, after the steam came out, he would often inhale the fragrance because he liked it so much," Dr Rose said. "That's heated diacetyl, which we know from the workers' studies is the highest risk."

Synthetic butter or diacetyl inhaled as a vapour has damaged or destroyed the lungs of hundreds of workers in the food industry.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle2934349.ece

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
09-06-2007, 05:43 AM
:sl:

:uuh:

So is the threat only that steamy stuff? :? There is issue with actually eating it right?

ahsan28
09-06-2007, 05:46 AM
May be both :(

syilla
09-06-2007, 08:59 AM
MashaAllah :(

But stale popcorn doesn't taste that good.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zarhad
09-06-2007, 09:02 AM
wow...now everything causes cancer rather then a list of what does i need a list of what doesnt..lol

Woodrow
09-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Popcorn firm dumps diacetyl

ConAgra will replace chemical that's linked to workers' lung ailment
Sep 06, 2007 04:30 AM
Josh Funk
Associated Press

OMAHA, Neb.–ConAgra Foods Inc., the largest microwave popcorn maker in the United States, will change the recipe for its Orville Redenbacher and Act II brands over the next year to remove a flavouring chemical linked to a lung ailment in popcorn plant workers, the company said yesterday.

The announcement comes a day after a doctor at a leading lung research hospital warned in a letter to federal regulators that consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger from fumes from buttery flavouring in microwave popcorn.
Source: http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/253668

Muezzin
09-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Is there any food that won't potentially kill you?

Md Mashud
09-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Most of it is hype, there was a report just the other day of deodorant linked to some cancer too - which was pretty much alot of rubbish/media hype - having looked into it.

Isambard
09-06-2007, 10:31 PM
You would have to inhale alot of steamy butter and quite often to get cancer. I mean you would probably have a better chance of being a repeat winner of the lottery. Besides, what I am more curious about is why the eprson in the article hasnt died yet of heart failure.

I mean, has anyone looked at the nutrishional chart on the back of a microwave popcorn bag? Its about 50% trans/saturated fat. You are better off liquidating come chocalate and injecting into your blood.

Yanal
09-07-2007, 12:49 AM
Asalam alakum my brother is addicted to it he only two years old what shall i do to stop him :coolious:

Woodrow
09-07-2007, 01:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Asalam alakum my brother is addicted to it he only two years old what shall i do to stop him :coolious:
:w:

In all seriousness a child under the age of 5 should not be given popcorn. There is a very high risk of young children choking on it.

Food choking hazards and children:

What parents need to know
Even nutritious items have shapes and textures that spell danger

Parents have heard it before, but it bears repeating: Food is the No. 1 choking hazard among children.

Children of all ages are susceptible to choking, but kids younger than 5 are especially vulnerable because they have fewer (and smaller) molars, weaker chewing ability, and narrower airways than older children and adults. Most dangerous of all, they're prone to putting things in their mouths--unlike older children. (Coins and balloons can also make children choke. )
Source: http://consumerreports.org/cro/babie...ng-hazards.htm

جوري
09-09-2007, 02:51 AM
got to tell you just walking through a crowded city alone will give you anthracosis-- but that doesn't make the news for some reason?
I don't understand the funding that goes on all sorts of useless research..
from 'creating' lower life forms using some newly synthesized basis... to the dangers of inhaling popcorn aroma.. what is this world coming to? I am honestly starting to think the sane scientist population is dwindling -- seems funding is only reserved for the loonies and the outrageous? the only sensible thing left to do is shrug ones shoulders in utter amusement I suppose? :lol:

Ummu Sufyaan
09-09-2007, 04:29 AM
yeah, is this one of those "if you drink milk for the next 200 years, your likely to die of cancer' researches. :giggling: no offence anyone

ahsan28
09-09-2007, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
"if you drink milk for the next 200 years, your likely to die of cancer'

This research hasn't come in the media, wait 4 that time :D

Mpls_Muslim
09-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Salam people, I heard that the company that started the Microwave popcorn stuff here in Minnesot ahas started to chnge some of the stuff in popcorn because it found that something made people sick, did not here the whole story just a snippett, will look for more and pass along when I find more. Ishallah

Abdulah

Ebtisweetsam
09-09-2007, 12:44 PM
HELP!!!! Im a popcorn addict......:offended: .... but i make it myself at home using the air popping machine..........:nervous: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me thats ok, or i dont know what to snack on that is light healthy and weightless:hiding:

Woodrow
09-09-2007, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
HELP!!!! Im a popcorn addict......:offended: .... but i make it myself at home using the air popping machine..........:nervous: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me thats ok, or i dont know what to snack on that is light healthy and weightless:hiding:

Independent studies indicate that popcorn addicts are hazardous to the health of popcorn kernels.

So far I have heard nothing hazardous about hot air popped popcorn. The studies mentioned above are not saying the popcorn is hazardous. It is the Diactyl used as a synthetic butter flavoring that seems to be the hazard.

The only actual popcorn hazard I am aware of is it is a choking hazard for small children. So are many other small finger foods that do not rapidly dissolve in the mouth such as:

Marshmallows
French fries
Some berries

Any small object that is small enough to fit in a child's mouth, but large enough to block the air pathway.

But, those dangers are because of mechanical nature and not related to any toxin or pathogen.

Kids with out a set of teeth for chewing and still have a strong sucking swallowing reflex are the highest at risk for choking hazards.

Ebtisweetsam
09-09-2007, 01:14 PM
:phew Well thats a relief...... and i really am over 5 years old, so i dont have to worry about being too young:giggling:
On a serious note, im sure everyone knows someone who has been touched by cancer.
What im trying to figure out is if cancer is a new-age illness or it has been wrongly diagnosed in the past. Before the 1940s you didnt hear of people dying of it.... its either somethings we are doing wrong these days or it has been around forever but they only recently put a name to it.

Woodrow
09-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Cancer is actually a very generic term. There are many different conditions classified as cancerous. Each with a different set of symptoms and causes.

Basicaly cancer is simply unregulated cell growth.

Many old diseases are now lumped together as cancer and had different names in the past.

Not very long ago causes of death were lumped into about 3 or four causes.

Heart Failure

Consumption

accidents/injury/war/etc

Poisoning

As pathology became more precise, specific names have been given for various causes of death. It does not seem to be any new diseaes or causes of death, just better methods of identifying them. Of course some of the conditions that can cause cancer, are now more prevelant, but they are not causing anything that has not existed in the past.

Overall people are living much longer and healthier(depends on how you define health) lives than they did 2000 years ago. Or even 100 years ago. Going by standards of 100 years ago, I am considered ancient. By todays standards and longevity statistics I am more considered early old age. Paradoxically life of today is both better and worse than it was 100 years ago.

ahsan28
09-09-2007, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=Ebtisweetsam;826090 and i really am over 5 years old, so i dont have to worry about being too young.[/QUOTE]

Prevention is better than cure :D

Ebtisweetsam
09-09-2007, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Cancer is actually a very generic term. There are many different conditions classified as cancerous. Each with a different set of symptoms and causes.

Basicaly cancer is simply unregulated cell growth.

Many old diseases are now lumped together as cancer and had different names in the past.

Not very long ago causes of death were lumped into about 3 or for causes.

Heart Failure

Consumption

accidents

Poisoning

As pathology became more precise, specific names have been given for various causes of death. It does not seem to be any new diseaes or causes of death, just better methods of identifying them. Of course some of the conditions that can cause cancer, are now more prevelant, but they are not causing anything that has not existed in the past.

Overall people are living much longer and healthier(depends on how you define health) lives than they did 2000 years ago. Or even 100 years ago. Going by standards of 100 years ago, I am considered ancient. By todays standards and longevity statistics I am more considered early old age. Paradoxically life of today is both better and worse than it was 100 years ago.
I dont want to go too off topic, but are you saying people are living longer? Dont statistics saying people are dying earlier?
Also are you saying that cancer was considered the name of most diseases, but now they have their own names (like heart failure, poisoning etc)?

Woodrow
09-09-2007, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
I dont want to go too off topic, but are you saying people are living longer? Dont statistics saying people are dying earlier?
Also are you saying that cancer was considered the name of most diseases, but now they have their own names (like heart failure, poisoning etc)?
In the past there were only a small handfull of names for diseases. Medicine has become more precise in naming things. for example when I was young if the cause of death was unknown, it was simply called heart failure.

People are living much longer than they have in the past 2,000 years. however, it is recorded in the Qur'an that in the far past people had very long lives and by those standards life today is much shorter. But, going back into recent history. Up to 2,000 years ago each generation has lived longer than the previous generation.
After remaining fairly constant for most of human history, life
expectancy (the average number of years a person can expect
to live) has nearly doubled in the past century. The maximum
life span—the longest number of years a human being has
lived—has increased spectacularly as well. There is little dis-
agreement over these facts. Scholarly opinion diverges, howev-
er, as to whether these increases will continue or whether
human longevity is approaching its limit
Source: http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=8&gl=us

What this all has to do with the original topic, is that while more health risks are being identifies, they are being corrected, resulting in longer lives.

Todays generation has a life expectancy twice that of people born in 1907 and at any time during the 2,000 years prior to that. No magic life extending medicine. Just better identification of causes of needless death and removing them.

The next major health risk that needs to be solved is war.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.