/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fat mothers are more likely to have overweight children

ahsan28
09-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Fat mothers are more likely to have overweight children

Overwight mothers-to-be may be condemning their children to a lifetime of weight problems. Research shows that women who are heavier than they should be while pregnant are more likely to have children who are fat by the age of nine.

Women who smoked during pregnancy also had fatter sons and daughters, the University of Southampton researchers found.Previous studies have shown that babies are more likely to be plump if their mothers are overweight while carrying them, but this is the first to make a link with a child's weight in later years.

The findings come as Britain fights the worst weight problem in Europe, with almost a quarter of adults classed as obese.

In the latest study, researchers measured more than 200 nine-year-olds whose mothers had been monitored before and during pregnancy.Analysis showed a clear link between the women's body mass index, which was used as an indicator of weight, and the bodies of their children in years to come.

The study, reported in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, also showed that children were more likely to be rotund at nine if they had put on a lot of weight in infancy, had not been breast-fed, or if their mothers had smoked in pregnancy.

7th September 2007

Daily Mail. Uk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1774

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
09-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Zactlehh, shouldn't eat dat much should you, live on Ribena :shade:

Can't wait till Ramadan :muddlehea

Why would you want to put your kids through obesity! :'(

Ok imsad Bye :embarrass :p

IbnAbdulHakim
09-08-2007, 11:37 AM
children were more likely to be rotund at nine if they had put on a lot of weight in infancy
lol i cant stop laughing at the word "rotund" ;D

its like they just put a "t" in round! like its suppose to console the word or something? ;D

Isambard
09-08-2007, 11:20 PM
I still understand why raising your children to obesity isnt a form of child abuse and actions taken agaisnt the offending parents accordingly.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
09-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Asalam alakum insulting mothers shame on them and you why did you post this mothers have jannah(heaven) under their feet and with jokes fathers have shoes

Woodrow
09-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Obesity is a major problem in all of the word's industrialized nations. This has become a world wide epidemic.

People have to be educated on proper nutrition. With todays high energy high calorie foods quantity is becoming less of a culprit as quality. a small quantity of worthless calories is of much more danger than a large quantity of nutritous food.

Good nutrition reduces hunger better and results in less weight gain.

The irony is that in spite of all the people that are obese, even more people die of starvation.

Obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally, with more than 1 billion adults overweight - at least 300 million of them clinically obese - and is a major contributor to the global burden of chronic disease and disability. Often coexisting in developing countries with under-nutrition, obesity is a complex condition, with serious social and psychological dimensions, affecting virtually all ages and socioeconomic groups.
Why is this happening?

The rising epidemic reflects the profound changes in society and in behavioural patterns of communities over recent decades. While genes are important in determining a person's susceptibility to weight gain, energy balance is determined by calorie intake and physical activity. Thus societal changes and worldwide nutrition transition are driving the obesity epidemic. Economic growth, modernization, urbanization and globalization of food markets are just some of the forces thought to underlie the epidemic.

As incomes rise and populations become more urban, diets high in complex arbohydrates give way to more varied diets with a higher proportion of fats, saturated fats and sugars. At the same time, large shifts towards less physically demanding work have been observed worldwide. Moves towards less physical activity are also found in the increasing use of automated transport, technology in the home, and more passive leisure pursuits.
Source: http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactiv...ts/obesity/en/

جوري
09-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Some folks have lesions in their paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus, and that would cause hyperphagia and obesity to which their is NO remedy!.. some children are born with Genetic diseases like Pradaer-Willi.. they too will suffer obesity... rest of the people just have horrible eating and exercise habits.. and that is something in their own hands..
until such a time when we all come ready equipped with built in laboratories and radars to distinguish who is fat by some untoward event ( and there are plenty more than I care mention cerebrovascualr events, accidents to the head etc.) and who is fat due to laziness and poor habits , I suggest we refrain from passing judgements on other folks.

snakelegs
09-09-2007, 01:03 AM
great post. :sunny:

Woodrow
09-09-2007, 01:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Some folks have lesions in their paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus, and that would cause hyperphagia and obesity to which their is NO remedy!.. some children are born with Genetic diseases like Pradaer-Willi.. they too will suffer obesity... rest of the people just have horrible eating and exercise habits.. and that is something in their own hands..
until such a time when we all come ready equipped with built in laboratories and radars to distinguish who is fat by some untoward event ( and there are plenty more than I care mention cerebrovascualr events, accidents to the head etc.) and who is fat due to laziness and poor habits , I suggest we refrain from passing judgements on other folks.
That is very true. My first wife was obese. Her eating habits were very proper and nutritionally should not have caused weight gain. She was very thin as a child and her weight gain did not begin until she was near 20 years old. The cause was traced to a head injury she suffered in a car accident as a child.

Do not pass judgement as to why a person is obese. Think of obesity as a disease and not to be a source of humor or condemnation.

جوري
09-09-2007, 02:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That is very true. My first wife was obese. Her eating habits were very proper and nutritionally should not have caused weight gain. She was very thin as a child and her weight gain did not begin until she was near 20 years old. The cause was traced to a head injury she suffered in a car accident as a child.

Do not pass judgement as to why a person is obese. Think of obesity as a disease and not to be a source of humor or condemnation.
I see things like that all too often and it really breaks my heart.. one time I was boarding a train to come see my family from MD to NY.. and there was this lady who was clearly schizophrenic.. she kept taking off her clothes, and not one person in the entire station offered her help, even the staff like she was a highly contagious leper to be quarantined.. the worst part is some guy just kept taunting her and laughing out loud, until she started to cry ( he disgusted me).. she was disheveled and confused and kept stating she missed her train, I asked her where she wanted to go, but she didn't give any intelligible answers-- I could tell she was not oriented to time, place or self .. I didn't know what to do for her?.. but the worst part was that guy just laughing and mocking, he was talking to someone else on the phone and kept telling him/her I have got to get this on camera.. honestly how cruel can people get? The part that intrigues me most, is NONE of us is immune from any disease or any sort of calamity.. how is it that he felt so confident this wouldn't be him or one of his family members one day?

Muezzin
09-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Fat mothers are more likely to have overweight children
Duh! :p

But seriously, I would have thought that would have gone without saying, just as an expectant mother who didn't eat enough would compromise her baby's health and weight. I'd go through all the biological reasons for this, but:

a) my biology knowledge is rustier than the Tin Woodsman's armpits
b) it might well induce nausea, the way I tell it

SirZubair
09-16-2007, 09:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
Zactlehh, shouldn't eat dat much should you, live on Ribena :shade:
Ask any dentist of their opinion of ribena..

..well.. not just ANY dentist... one that cares for your teeth will do..

IbnAbdulHakim
09-16-2007, 12:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Ask any dentist of their opinion of ribena..

..well.. not just ANY dentist... one that cares for your teeth will do..
but they got a make called "toothkind" :ooh:

SpazzBurd
09-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I think that fat mothers having fat children is a well established fact. They real question is why?

Is this a result of the parent's lifestyle and eating habits?

A result of genetics?

Caused by a physiological problem, like Cushings diease?

Or a combination of these, and possibly other factors?

jb17
09-25-2007, 03:25 AM
makes sense. my mom wasnt obese when she was pregnant with me and im pretty thin

ahsan28
09-29-2007, 02:03 PM
How fat is your child?

From The Times
September 29, 2007

Weighing up the evidence

1. It is more difficult to gauge whether a child is overweight or obese than an adult because they are growing anyway, and do so at different rates.

2. The fit of a child’s clothes is a rough measure. If clothes for their age are right for their height but too tight round the waist, they could be overweight.

3. You can track your child’s weight using an online body mass index (BMI) calculator (see panel right), which alerts you if they are overweight or obese.

4. The words obese and overweight have specific definitions according to specific BMIs for adults, but not for children. Generally, they describe the accumulation of sufficient body fat to potentially affect health.

5. Another way of judging whether your child is overweight is using centile BMI charts for children, similar to those used to check whether a child’s growth is in the normal range. These are not yet widely available but your GP or health visitor should be able to show you them. They show what a healthy BMI would be for a child of a particular age and sex.

Recommended daily breakdown of food groups for over fives

33% fruit and veg

33% carbs: breads, cereals, potatoes, rice

12% protein: meat, fish, alternatives (eg. beans)

7% fats and sugars

15% dairy products

DAILY NEEDS

EXERCISE

At least one hour of moderate intensity exercise (eg swimming, cycling) every day.

ENERGY

Boys aged 4-6 1,715 calories

Girls aged 4-6 1,545 calories

Boys aged 7-10 1,970 calories

Girls aged 7-10 1,740 calories

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle2551187.ece

sevgi
09-29-2007, 02:15 PM
my mum is like 47 kilos after four kids...lol...

and none of us are fat...welll, i think i am but they say im not...well im no supermodel anyway...

isnt it more dependent on behaviour tho? if the mum is fat, and the child is overactive...then no probs...

jb17
09-29-2007, 04:06 PM
exercise is definitely important

i was a 'chubby' baby but i remember seeing pictures of me at around 6 and i suddenly looked really healthily thin, i think exercise and play did that... so even if a baby or toddler is fat, they can drastically change. i was super skinny up till i was ... 15? and even now im not at 'average'. so i think exercise is the most important factor. they may say there are genetic pre-dispositions but i think thats all lies, i think there are some cases where yes, a bigger child may equal a bigger adult but i think a lot of the time its just lack of exercise and bad eating habits set by parents.

جوري
09-29-2007, 07:17 PM
baby's are born with what is called in lay man's terms 'brown fat'.. meant for insulation.. some negligent mothers leave their babies out in the cold because they don't want them.. they wrap in a thin blanket if at all, hoping someone would pick them up.. sometimes they don't get picked up and get left in the cold of night for a while.. the secret to their survival really.. is the gentle God that designed them, fixed them so they would have insulation for a few days.. that is why babies appear floppy and chubby looking.. it is intelligent design.. for those who don't believe in God... how amazing.. I guess 'nature' thought of everything, including frank negligence!

سبحان الذي علم الانسان ما لم يعلم

jb17
10-02-2007, 05:59 PM
yeah, that is funny.
how could mothers do that. ugh. disgusting. anyone who does that has serious mental problems, if you dont want a child the smart thing to do is to put him/her up for ADOPTION rather then potentially killing it

Miss Palestine
10-14-2007, 05:24 AM
lolzz...my momsz sooo skinnyy...so howcome my lil bro is madd fat? not obese tho lolzz

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.