/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fasting

snakelegs
09-10-2007, 06:51 AM
i read somewhere that fasting includes a lot more than just abstaining from food and water.
for example - backbiting and other forms of negative behavior are also included in the concept.
can anyone elaborate a bit on this aspect?
this type of fasting actually strikes me as a much bigger challenge than fasting from food and drink.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
09-10-2007, 07:47 AM
:sl:
Mornin' (or early afternoon) snakelegs.
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i read somewhere that fasting includes a lot more than just abstaining from food and water.for example - backbiting and other forms of negative behavior are also included in the concept.
can anyone elaborate a bit on this aspect?
this type of fasting actually strikes me as a much bigger challenge than fasting from food and drink
Okey dokey. Basically, the month of fasting in Islam is possibly the greatest month for all muslims since it gives us the ability to change who we are and it is also very rewarding.

Since satan is locked away in ramadhan, all temptation has been removed - this allows us to be more focused on what we say and do, thus helping us to prevent backbiting, swearing and various other negative behaviour.

The food and drink limitation is indeed a vital part of fasting but with satan locked up in this month, it also give us a chance to change. Overall, it reminds us of how much we take for granted and how little we need to do in order to live our daily lives.

snakelegs
09-11-2007, 03:58 AM
when you are abstaining from eating and drinking, do you find that it is easier to abstain from negative behavior - that your mind is clearer?
well, i guess satan being locked up for the month should make it a lot easier too.

syilla
09-11-2007, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
when you are abstaining from eating and drinking, do you find that it is easier to abstain from negative behavior - that your mind is clearer?
well, i guess satan being locked up for the month should make it a lot easier too.
It is true on Ramadhan it is easier to abstain from negative behaviour. However you have to remember nafs is not locked up during the Ramadhan. So it is not that easy though... :coolious:

Some smokers can evey quit smoking during Ramadhan. But when the Ramadhan finishes...

p/s:- yesterday i've typed a longggg post in this thread but i forget to submit it, and i couldn't remember what i was trying to post actually. :hiding:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zarhad
09-11-2007, 04:27 AM
I personally think its very much a state of mind we get prepared because we know its comming and because of the fasting and praying (which we normally do) and just thinking about or religion more... its such a clean month...i feel it comes very naturally

Md Mashud
09-11-2007, 04:44 AM
for example - backbiting and other forms of negative behavior are also included in the concept.
This generally is dissalowed in Islam, its not even minor - its a big sinful act.

In Ramadan, one is not to just control his food/water, but his character, more so then normal.

Some even say, people who swear/shout/fight/backbite/lie/slander etc alot and constistantly during ramadan, will have their fasts nullified.

As for if it helps one abstain from evil, you can say, somehow it does.

glo
09-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Somebody mentioned Ramadan being an opportunity to change one's behaviour.

Would people say - from their own experience - that those positive behaviours remain after Ramadan, or do they tend to weaken over time (until they are refreshed at the next Ramadan)?

And based on this, should Ramadan then be a period when there is noticable more peace and calm in this world (given that so many people across the world are Muslims and will be guided by Ramadan)? If so, I am looking forward to it! :)

Peace

aamirsaab
09-11-2007, 08:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
....Would people say - from their own experience - that those positive behaviours remain after Ramadan, or do they tend to weaken over time (until they are refreshed at the next Ramadan)?
Sometimes they do, unfortunately, sometimes they don't - old habits die hard. But, one has the ability to reflect. That's the weird thing about ramadhan, it puts, sometimes mundane, things into perspective.

And based on this, should Ramadan then be a period when there is noticable more peace and calm in this world (given that so many people across the world are Muslims and will be guided by Ramadan)? If so, I am looking forward to it! :)

Peace
Indeed it should. Here's hoping :).

Camomilla
09-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Ramadan is the best month, food tastes even better (that's what I think :embarrass)
:peace: :peace:

Camomilla
09-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I was thinking, is It OK to cry when your fasting?

glo
09-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Why shouldn't it be, Camomilla?
Being close to God can stir up all kind of emotions ... surely that's God's way of prompting and guiding you.

peace

Mpls_Muslim
09-11-2007, 01:11 PM
salam, I have to agree with Camomilla, food does taste better because I apprecuiate what I have more.

Abdulah

snakelegs
09-11-2007, 10:43 PM
before i knew better, i used to think islam had very few holidays and ramadan didn't sound very festive either! hehehe! and i was quite surprised when i became aware of the excitement that muslims feel when ramadan is approaching.
although it must be very different (harder) for people in non-muslim countries.
would you say there is just as much emphasis on the non-physical aspects of fasting as there is on the not eating and drinking? they would be more difficult, but as someone said - easier during this month because the whole mindset is different.

Malaikah
09-12-2007, 12:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Would people say - from their own experience - that those positive behaviours remain after Ramadan, or do they tend to weaken over time (until they are refreshed at the next Ramadan)?
Yes! Finally Ramadhan is back alhamdulilah, I'm in great need of it!

It is amazing, a really 'faith' boost!:statisfie

manwithnogun
09-12-2007, 12:55 AM
im so excited for Ramadan! i keep thinking about all that i can accomplish during Ramadan. even before it has started, it already has made changes in my behaviour. I know this is off topic but, I was comparing Christmas to Ramadan and found living without some little things to be much much more pleasuring than to receive many gifts

snakelegs
09-12-2007, 12:58 AM
will this be your first ramadan?
ramadan mubarak!

manwithnogun
09-12-2007, 01:47 AM
It will be my first Ramadan and i cannot wait for it to begin. It is such an exciting notion for me that it has been nearly the only thing on my mind for the last week! It seems such an amazing opportunitiy to make myself a better person over all

north_malaysian
09-12-2007, 02:01 AM
When I'm fasting I dont watch tv (except 30 mins documentary about Muslims in other countries popularly known as "Jejak Rasul" - Path of the Messenger):D

It's official that we would start fasting tomorrow (13.09.2007) and it's a public holiday in state of Kedah, Malaysia.

Abu Zakariya
09-13-2007, 05:44 AM
snakelegs

What you've mentioned in this thread reminds me so much of what some of the first generation of Muslims (the Salaf) used to say. From fatwa-online.com:

It is obligatory for the fasting person to refrain from lying, backbiting and swearing, even if someone was to swear at him. If this is the case, he should say:

(((indeed), I am fasting))

Certainly, some people find it easy to abstain from food and drink but find it difficult to abandon that which has become a habit for them from evil speech and actions. This is why some of the Pious Predecessors have said:

((The easiest (type of) fast is abstaining from food and drink)).

So it is upon the Muslim to fear Allaah and be aware of Him and His Greatness and the fact that He Sees all that we do, such that absolutely nothing remains hidden from him. In doing this, he should protect his fast from all that invalidates it or reduces it's reward so that his fast remains correct and, inshaa.-Allaah, is accepted by Allaah.

The Prophet peace be upon him said:

Whoever does not abandon evil speech and actions, then Allah is not in need of him having left his food and drink.

I recently listend to a lecture about Ramadan and the Shaykh mentioned that Ramadan should be like a ladder. We climb up a little bit every year. We wont be able to be as strong and steadfast as during Ramadan, but when it's over let's not go back to our normal behaviour completely. So if we are on the first step before Ramadan, and climb up to the tenth during Ramadan, let us not slip back to the first when Ramadan is over. Let us at least slip down to the third, or fourth etc.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.