/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan question

glo
09-12-2007, 08:21 PM
This is a small, and possibly quite daft question:

Can I wish Muslims 'Ramadan Mubarak' at any time through Ramadan, or is it just something you would say once at the beginning of Ramadan?
For example, if I visit a shop every week, would I just say it just the first time, or every time I visit during Ramadan?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tomtomsmom
09-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Hmmm that is a very good question. Gonna bump this up cause I want the answer too!!!!!!!

Idris
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
"Ramadan Mukarak" means "Happy Ramadan" I think

glo
09-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks, Idris.

But my question is 'When to I wish Muslims Ramadan Mubarak? Just at the beginning of Ramadan? Or can I still wish it two weeks into Ramadan? Every time I meet a Muslim - even if I have said it already previously?'

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
flower of dusk
09-13-2007, 03:09 PM
I think its more logical to say it once to a specific person, and i dnt think it really matters wat tym of the month u say it to them =]

m102313
09-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes as 'flower of dusk' has said, it's just using your logic, you wouldn't greet a person every five mins, you'll do it once when you meet them, and same with this, you would usually tell them 'Ramadhan Mubarak' at the beginning of ramadhan.

Mpls_Muslim
09-13-2007, 03:40 PM
:sl: thanks brother MoaBubaker for the answer, I too was confused by this, but atound here in Mpls, I am hearing a Ramadan Khareem, am not sure of the meaning of this, can some one please elaberate ?

WasSalam

Abdulah

Ummah
09-13-2007, 03:44 PM
yeh ill just add to the answers already given, u dont need to say ramadan mubarak/happy ramadan to any one person more than once...might sound silly if u keep saying it everytime u see them lol

:)

syilla
09-14-2007, 12:42 AM
:salam:

we usually say "have a great iftar" during the evening.

north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 07:47 AM
"selamat berbuka" (Happy Iftaar) or "selamat berpuasa" (happy fasting)

we say it all over the time within Ramadhan. Whosoever, whenever, wherever....

Qurratul Ayn
09-15-2007, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mpls_Muslim
I am hearing a Ramadan Khareem, am not sure of the meaning of this, can some one please elaberate ?
:salamext:

Brother Mpls_Muslim, it can still be said and I think it has something to do with culture but nonetheless, it still is a greeting for Ramadhan.

:salamext:

جوري
09-16-2007, 02:36 AM
kareem in Arabic means Generous.. where as Mubarak means blessed
people tend to designate kareem to Ramadan while blessed to 3eed (3id)
simply because Ramadan is generous to us and 3eed is a blessing after Ramadan.. I made the last part completely up but it shouldn't be far off from the truth =)

anyhow here you go
Arabic - English
مُبَارَك
mubarak
مُبَارَك صـــــفـــــــة بُورِكَ , مَيْمُون
blessed

مُبَارِك صـــــفـــــــة فاعِلُ بارَكَ
blesser , well-wisher

now for kareem
كَرِيم

Arabic - English
كَرِيم صـــــفـــــــة جَوَاد , سَخِيّ
noble , very generous , well-doer , kindly , kind , liberal , openhanded , bounteous , precious , free-handed , generous , freehanded , gracious , bountiful

hope that helps?

:w:

MustafaMc
09-16-2007, 04:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
This is a small, and possibly quite daft question:

Can I wish Muslims 'Ramadan Mubarak' at any time through Ramadan, or is it just something you would say once at the beginning of Ramadan?
For example, if I visit a shop every week, would I just say it just the first time, or every time I visit during Ramadan?
This is a good question. Ramadan is a blessed (barak) month because it is the month the Quran was revealed. Fasting by Muslims during this month is a worship of our Creator. Although many Muslims look forward to Ramadan because of the opportunity to grow closer to Allah with extra worship and good deeds, I wouldn't call it a month of celebration. I tend to think of greeting another Muslim with "Ramadan Mubarak" as a means of welcoming the month of fasting as it begins.

glo
09-16-2007, 07:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
This is a good question. Ramadan is a blessed (barak) month because it is the month the Quran was revealed. Fasting by Muslims during this month is a worship of our Creator. Although many Muslims look forward to Ramadan because of the opportunity to grow closer to Allah with extra worship and good deeds, I wouldn't call it a month of celebration. I tend to think of greeting another Muslim with "Ramadan Mubarak" as a means of welcoming the month of fasting as it begins.
Thanks, Mustafa

So is it alright to be wished 'Ramadan Mubarak' by a non-Muslim, or would that seem strange?

Muezzin
09-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Well, my barber, who is Hindu, said Ramadan Mubarak to me yesterday, and I didn't find it weird, just pleasantly surprising. He's a nice, funny dude.

Yeah, usually people only say it once, near the beginning of the month. After you've said it to a person, it's not really the done thing to keep saying it everytime you see them - not that it's wrong or anything, it's just that people tend to say it only once. :)

MustafaMc
09-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks, Mustafa

So is it alright to be wished 'Ramadan Mubarak' by a non-Muslim, or would that seem strange?
My opinion is that it is a good thing to establish good relations with people of different religions.

glo
09-16-2007, 01:44 PM
My opinion is that it is a good thing to establish good relations with people of different religions.
Would you, personally, return this sentiment by offering followers of other faiths similar greetings on their festivals?

Peace

MustafaMc
09-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Would you, personally, return this sentiment by offering followers of other faiths similar greetings on their festivals?

Peace
How did I know you would ask that????

To facilitate good relations with non-Muslims in my life - family and co-workers - I do wish them "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Easter". I also participate in family gatherings around Christian holidays and even go so far as to exchange gifts at Christmas for the same reason. I am not saying so to encourage other Muslims to do so, simply to state what I do, personally, as you said.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.