/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about reading the Qur'an in English

*~Sofia~*
09-14-2007, 08:08 AM
:sl: everyone,

Hope everyone is having a gud ramadhan inshallah, :D I am, really enjoying it this year :D but had one question...

I don't understand arabic, so when im reading the Quran I kinda don't understand what im reading... so i guess it doesn't have that impact on me, as the english translation would.

I wanted to know, if you just read the Quran in english, would you get the same reward as you when you would read it in arabic? :?

I think reading it in english will prove to be of much greater benefit as I would understand it...

So what should I do?

Jazakhalla in advance :)

w'salam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
09-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

Insha'Allaah the following Q&As will help you:

Question:

Asalamu-Alaikum,
This is in regards to Question 2237 'Reading Soorat Yaa-Seen in congregation on Friday nights'. Actually I am referring to the hadeeth you mentioned where The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever reads one letter of the Book of Allaah will have one hasanah (reward) for doing so, and every hasanah will be multiplied by 10. I do not say that ‘Alif, laam, meem’ is one letter, but ‘Alif’ is a letter, ‘laam’ is a letter and ‘meem’ is a letter.’”
I was wonderring if this hadith was also true if one is reading the Qur'an in a different language (i.e. English Translation) in order to actually understand what he is reading?

Thank You, Allahu-Akbar

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We ask Allaah to reward you for your keenness. In response to your question, the reward mentioned in this hadeeth is only for the one who reads the Qur’aan as it is in Arabic, not for the one who reads the interpretation of the meanings in any other language. However, if a person reads a translation of the meanings in order to understand the meaning and benefit from what the aayaat are saying, then he will be rewarded for doing this, and his reward is with Allaah, because the Muslim will be rewarded for reading tafseer (explanation and commentary), and a translation is tafseer. But there is no indication that the person who reads a translation will earn the reward mentioned in the hadeeth. The bounty of Allaah is immense. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Question:

I always read Qur’aan but I do not understand the meanings… will I be rewarded by Allaah for that?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The Holy Qur’aan is blessed, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“(This is) a Book (the Qur’aan) which We have sent down to you, full of blessings that they may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may remember.” [Saad 38:29]

A man will be rewarded for reading it whether he understands its meanings or not… But the believer should not read the Qur’aan without understanding at the time when he is responsible for his actions. If a person wants to learn medicine, for example, and studies medical books, he cannot learn anything from them unless he understands what they mean and it is explained to him. Indeed, he would very keen to understand what they say so that he can put it into practice. So how about the Book of Allaah which is healing for what is in people’s hearts and exhortation for all people? What about a person who reads it and does not understand or ponder its meanings?

The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) would not go beyond ten aayaat until they had learnt them and understood the knowledge therein and how to act upon it. A person will be rewarded for reading Qur’aan whether or not he understands it, but he should try his best to find out what it means and to seek this knowledge from scholars who can be trusted. If he cannot easily find a scholar from whom he can learn, he should refer to reliable books of Tafseer such as Tafseer Ibn Jareer, Tafseer Ibn Katheer, and others. And Allaah knows best.

From the Fataawaa of Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=4040&ln=eng

Intisar
09-15-2007, 06:20 AM
:w:
I hope your Ramadan is going great as well ukhtee Sofia, I was wondering the same as well. I was able to kind of read the Quran in Arabic when I was younger, I want to re-learn it though insha'allah. I always understand what I am reading more in English because it's the language that I am best at. Anyway, jazakallah khair Muhammad..may Allah Al-mighty reward you! :thumbs_up :)

asadxyz
09-15-2007, 11:07 AM
:sl:
Regarding Quran a Mo'min is required
-To believe in Quran
-To read the Quran
-To understand the Quran
-To act according to its teachings
-To transfer its teachings to other people.

These are different stages.To read and understand Quran is not possible without some primilinary knowledge of Arabic.In other words learning arabic according to available sources is obligatory on any muslim.
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*~Sofia~*
09-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Salams,

Jazakhllah bro Muhammad for the reply, cleared things up for me :D
I was thinking of reading the english translation of the qur'an once ive finished the arabic version..inshallah.

But neway jazaks again :thumbs_up

w'salam

niler
09-23-2007, 11:09 PM
its really nice to know people are intrested in understanding the Holy Quran. May Allah help you in ur noble endevour!!

*~Sofia~*
09-24-2007, 08:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by niler
its really nice to know people are intrested in understanding the Holy Quran. May Allah help you in ur noble endevour!!
salams,

awwwwww jazakhallah khair bro/sis :D i've decided that after reading the arabic version, im gonna start the english translation, inshallah :)

w'salam

rozeena
09-24-2007, 10:14 AM
im in same situation sis, ive got a english translated quran so when ive read arabic, i can see the meaning on the side. you shud try dat its a great help as den u knw wt u r reading.:)

Nabooly
09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
What i do is read the whole surah in arabic. Then the whole thing in english. Then i read one aya in arabic and i read the same aya in english. After i while youll be able to understand the arabic meanining without the english Inshallah :)

Sheba
09-24-2007, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *~Sofia~*

Hope everyone is having a gud ramadhan inshallah, :D I am, really enjoying it this year :D but had one question...

I don't understand arabic, so when im reading the Quran I kinda don't understand what im reading... so i guess it doesn't have that impact on me, as the english translation would.

I wanted to know, if you just read the Quran in english, would you get the same reward as you when you would read it in arabic? :?

I think reading it in english will prove to be of much greater benefit as I would understand it...

So what should I do?

w'salam
Peace brother,

The Quran was sent to mankind to understand God's message to us. It is a waste of time reading something that you do not understand because God's message to you is wasted because you do not understand.

I know many Muslims that read without understanding and is it any wonder why Muslims don't understand God's message!!

Brother it is God who teaches the Quran (Quran chaper 55, verses 1-2.

If you want to please the masses then continue reading in Arabic without understanding. However, if you want to please God, then read in a language you know and understand the message that He wants you to understand.
For how can you practise your religion if you don't understand God's message?

Sheba
09-24-2007, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *~Sofia~*

So what should I do?

w'salam
So sorry, I addressed you as brother in my previous post instead of sister. My apologies.

Sheba
09-24-2007, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nabooly
What i do is read the whole surah in arabic. Then the whole thing in english. Then i read one aya in arabic and i read the same aya in english. After i while youll be able to understand the arabic meanining without the english Inshallah :)
Very good approach.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.