/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan-How does it make you feel?

Sarada
09-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Salaam Sisters and Brothers,

In the days leading up to Ramadan, I noticed many brothers and sisters saying how happy and excited they were, and how much they were looking forward to Ramadan. This seems to be in direct contrast as to how Christians feel about Lent.

I hope you will support me in my quest to learn more about Islam. Perhaps you could share with me how you feel during Ramadan and why, if I'm not getting too personal.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Draco
09-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Hello,

I too would be interested to know if any Muslim could genuinely feel excited about the fasting aspect of Ramadam. Would anyone feel honest enough to admit that they dread it slightly?

glo
09-17-2007, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada

In the days leading up to Ramadan, I noticed many brothers and sisters saying how happy and excited they were, and how much they were looking forward to Ramadan. This seems to be in direct contrast as to how Christians feel about Lent.

I hope you will support me in my quest to learn more about Islam. Perhaps you could share with me how you feel during Ramadan and why, if I'm not getting too personal.
Nice thread, Sarada.

I am looking forward to the replies from our Muslim friends.

I don't know how many Christian denominations (apart from Catholics) really uphold Lent, and to what extend.
From my experience of fasting as a Christian and from looking at Biblical accounts of fasting, it is often done as an act between an individual and God - either to feel a closer connection with God, or in connection with a specific petition to God, or as a way of demonstrating repentance.
There seems to be only little of a social or communal element - at least not to the same extend as I see amongst Muslims at Ramadan.

Personally speaking, when I fast I tend to be quite focused on spending time in prayer and getting closer to God. I suppose that makes it a humble and fairly solemn occasion ...
Joy and happiness is something that might occur during prayer, but then I might feel affected in totally different ways, perhaps even with a sense of sadness or awe or smallness ...

Now if I could break my fast with a bunch of friend and like-minded people, that would be fun!
Something to think about ...! :)

But this thread is about Muslims telling us about their fasting ... so I'll shut up now and wait patiently for other replies ... :D

Peace

Muhammad
09-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Greetings Sarada,

Thank you for your interest in Islam. I hope these reflections will be of some benefit.

Ramadhan is a very special time for Muslims. It is a blessed month with great opportunity for goodness, blessing, worship and obedience towards Allaah.
It is a noble season in which rewards for good deeds are multiplied and in which committing sins is more serious than at other times. The gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of Hell are shut, and the sinners’ repentance to Allaah is accepted. It is a month whose beginning is mercy, its middle is forgiveness and its end is redemption from the Fire. These are all reasons why Muslims try to make the most of this blessed time by filling it with acts of worship and forsaking forbidden things, and we strive more than ever to do good, focus our hearts on worship and turn to Allaah. It is a time to look forward to because it offers the chance to renew and increase faith, to cleanse our souls and seek forgiveness for our errors and rectify mistakes in our lives.

Ramadhan is a month out of this world, as everything we do is different during this month and there are many reasons why we feel excited about it...

It is a time of unity and bonding, both with our extended family of people from all colours and backgrounds, and with our family at home. The day begins when we wake up before the dawn prayer to eat the morning meal with family and the fast ends after sunset when we meet in the mosque to break our fasts with dates and various snacks. Then we pray the sunset prayer and go home to eat the evening meal with family again. After this, almost everybody will attend the special night prayer.

During this prayer, the mosques will be filled with the young, the old, men, women and people of all kinds who gather to hear the Book of Allaah (swt) being recited in its entirety in gradual stages - a portion recited each day for the whole month. It's amazing how every mosque will have their own reciters - different voices and styles, and that's why some people travel to different mosques to get a taste of such diversity. It truly is a magnificent atmosphere to be among so many people coming together for a common purpose, amidst the sweet scents, the whooshing fans, the fluttering robes, the falling tears, the gripping warmth, the smiles and salutations, and sometimes sweets on the day the Qur'an has been completed!

It is a time of devotion to the mosques, as they are usually filled with people unlike at any other time of year - so for each prayer there will be many more attendees. It makes one really feel the presence of Ramadhan and visibly see the impact it is having on the hearts of the people. Throughout the day, people will be staying behind to recite Qur'an. There is also a special act of worship called I'tikaaf, which is secluding oneself in the mosque - usually during the last 10 days of Ramadhan.

It is a time of sharing and exchanging, because a little while before Iftaar (the time to break one's fast), people will send food to each other so that by the time we break our fast, there will be so many things to try that we are too full to try them all! One of the highlights of the day is when we are all crowded in the mosque, waiting for the call of prayer to signal the time for breaking the fast, and people bring all kinds of food to share and break the fast with. It's a wonderful experience to try out foods from different cultures, sit alongside different people, and wonder what someone will bring the next day.

This is just a glimpse into the delights of participating in Ramadhan.

See this thread for more personal accounts:

http://www.islamicboard.com/fasting-...dan-diary.html

I too would be interested to know if any Muslim could genuinely feel excited about the fasting aspect of Ramadam.
Fasting is not only giving up food, drink and intimate relations; rather it is abstaining from all kinds of evil actions.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not give up false speech and acting upon it and offensive speech and behaviour, Allaah has no need of his giving up his food and drink.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6057.

There are also a number of benefits to fasting, such as attaining piety (doing that which Allaah has enjoined and avoiding that which He has forbidden). It is one of the greatest means of helping a person to fulfil the commands of Islam and it is a kind of training to become a better person. Other benefits of fasting include appreciating the value of the things we give up, gaining self-control, being more sympathetic towards the poor, developing an attitude of asceticism towards this world and its desires and getting used to doing a great deal of acts of worship.

So fasting is not simply actions without meaning, rather there is much spiritual involvement and Allaah makes it easy for those who try to draw nearer to Him.

Peace!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
09-17-2007, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Draco
Hello,

I too would be interested to know if any Muslim could genuinely feel excited about the fasting aspect of Ramadam. Would anyone feel honest enough to admit that they dread it slightly?

I believe most of us do/have expressed a dread at one time or another. We do have weak moments. One of the benefits of Ramadan is we have to face our dreads and desires face on and than make a conscious effort to fast.

It is sort of like going on a plane trip, yet have a fear of flying. You dread getting on the plane but you are joyous over the expectation of reaching your destination.

amille40
09-17-2007, 08:20 PM
I must say first that this is my very first Ramadan, but I certainly looked forward to it very much! I am hungry each day of course, but rather than look towards nightfall in anticipation of eating, I look forward to it as the completion of another day of fasting for Allah.

But then I eat happily of course ;)

Intisar
09-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Hello Sarada, Ramadan has a certain air about it I'm not sure If I can even explain it. But as brother Muhammad already explained, it's not just about refraining from food and drink but it's a time of unity, bonding and extreme worship. It feels so good just praying in congregation, eating iftaar with the family, and reading Quraan to yourself because it's the ultimate dhikr. You just feel all around good.

syilla
09-18-2007, 12:43 AM
:salamext:

Ramadhan is the best month of the year...which i'll never never want to feel dread about it. Alhamdulillah because i constantly fast on monday and thursday, i don't feel tired and hungry on the month of Ramadhan.

The only problem i had is....too much food. Can't avoid it cause everybody giving a bit of their cook food...lol. Anyway Alhamdullillah... I've to tell myself not to eat too much.

Fasting is the best time to stop myself from getting angry and talk unnecessary. Is the best time to give excuses not to get angry or talk badly by saying to myself "i'm fasting, i'm fasting, i'm fasting".

Just my two cents.

جوري
09-18-2007, 10:58 PM
There is a general feeling of well being in Ramadan... I have always felt it just looking at the skies.. maybe us mere mortals can't feel it on earth unless we are really seeking it out? But it is a delicious serenity, you can almost feel and touch it.
I never dread Ramadan, simply because I can always walk up to the fridge and grab whatever...I genuinely don't feel hungry or thirsty.. I feel achy at times.. like today, but I believe I might just be falling under the weather as there is a cold bug going on around this house. And even in that is a genuine empathy to folks who feel this way all year round.. All year round without the privilege to just walk up to the fridge at any moment.

I love seeing Salat al maghrib on TV from Mecca and seeing all those Muslims united from different colors and different backgrounds, prostrating in the same fashion... I look forward to the sura that will be recited by sheikh makka whose name now escapes me, but he has a sweet voice, and I believe he chooses his suras methodically each day. I love the first sweet date and milk that I break my fast to, though they appear simple, to me they are the food of kings and paupers alike.. it quenches and replenishes me in the same moment.

I love how close I am to Allah during this months in my prayers and I too try to recite suras that are close to my heart in my prayers.. I call him by all his tender names I say ya wadood, ya ra7eem, ya lateef, ya ra'aoof and I plead to him my troubles and my case and it gives me great dignity to ask God so that I may never kneel before any man.. I address him as my friend and I feel that he responds to me.. I see it in the events that have occurred just in the last five days alone.. they are little things but were a nuisance, and Allah has resolved them through nothing that I have offered him.. A thousand blessing and mercy it is.. I'd write more but I need to break my fast in five minutes.. perhaps you can catch more on the iftar diary thread?.. thank you Sarada for your continued interest in Islam
warmest regards sister in humanity
Ambrosia

Grace Seeker
09-27-2007, 05:11 PM
I didn't want to interrupt the sharing between my brothers and sisters in Islam. But I will share with you why I, even as a Christian, look forward to Ramadan.

First, it reminds me of my daughter, the one who is herself a Muslim, and I recall the year she lived with us and her observance of Ramadan that we shared with her.

Second, from the experience, I remember how I felt more reminded to pray and be serious about my own faith. Of course this is something that I should be about everyday of the year, but having a special time to focus on this aspect of my relationship with God was helpful for me. So, every year, as Ramadan approaches I become more reflective and find my spiritual disciplines deepening.

Third, as mentioned above special seasons of spiritual disciplines are good for me. I am not as disciplined of a person as I would like to be. I do not think that I could maintain this level of focus year round, but I can for a few weeks. And so now I not only have Advent and Lent, but also Ramadan as a reminder to me to be more focused in my faith walk. it doesn't matter to me that it is Muslim in origin. I have still adopted it as a reminder to me that I too need to give more attention to God. And having one more season in which I do this means that I am a little closer to keeping at this focus year round, which is what I would truly desire. If Ramadan helps me to come closer to that goal, then I am glad for its reminder.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-28-2007, 05:49 PM
There is a general feeling of well being in Ramadan... I have always felt it just looking at the skies.. maybe us mere mortals can't feel it on earth unless we are really seeking it out? But it is a delicious serenity, you can almost feel and touch it.
I never dread Ramadan, simply because I can always walk up to the fridge and grab whatever...I genuinely don't feel hungry or thirsty.. I feel achy at times.. like today, but I believe I might just be falling under the weather as there is a cold bug going on around this house. And even in that is a genuine empathy to folks who feel this way all year round.. All year round without the privilege to just walk up to the fridge at any moment.

I love seeing Salat al maghrib on TV from Mecca and seeing all those Muslims united from different colors and different backgrounds, prostrating in the same fashion... I look forward to the sura that will be recited by sheikh makka whose name now escapes me, but he has a sweet voice, and I believe he chooses his suras methodically each day. I love the first sweet date and milk that I break my fast to, though they appear simple, to me they are the food of kings and paupers alike.. it quenches and replenishes me in the same moment.

I love how close I am to Allah during this months in my prayers and I too try to recite suras that are close to my heart in my prayers.. I call him by all his tender names I say ya wadood, ya ra7eem, ya lateef, ya ra'aoof and I plead to him my troubles and my case and it gives me great dignity to ask God so that I may never kneel before any man.. I address him as my friend and I feel that he responds to me.. I see it in the events that have occurred just in the last five days alone.. they are little things but were a nuisance, and Allah has resolved them through nothing that I have offered him.. A thousand blessing and mercy it is.. I'd write more but I need to break my fast in five minutes.. perhaps you can catch more on the iftar diary thread?.. thank you Sarada for your continued interest in Islam
Ambrosia
MashaAllah. That's totally how I feel...although the overall feeling I get in Ramadan is completely unexplainable...

Peace to you Sarada :)

grammarian
10-11-2007, 07:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada

Ramadan is sooooo cool!!! For starters, I find it a great way to lose weight and also this is the time when I can really reflect on the things I have done and make every effort to make myself a better Muslim :D

truthforpeace
06-11-2008, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine

Ambrosia
Masha'allah! i loved this post!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.