/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music Haram??????

bewildred
09-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Hello y'all,

I'm what can be called a music freak. I like listening to James Taylor's music. I thought that since music doesn't distract me from my doing prayers and dua, it's ok with it.

I have to do long walks to get to my job. I usually have my ipod on all the time. My friends tell me to listen to Quran's mp3's. I makes me pretty uncomfortable because I read the Holly Book only at home, in a seclute room where I can concentrate on every word i read. On my ipod, it's like it's a kind of direspect towards the divine words.

Please, enlighten me with your opinions.

Bewildred

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Al Aqwa
09-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Well music is without doubt Haraam

i myself have an iPod, and i listen to Quraan on it, i think it is a way to keep in Dhikr of Allah.

Not a means of disrespect, and also, there is reward for listen to the recitation of the Holy Qur'an

Maybe you should listen to Nasheeds more...just a suggestion :D

m102313
09-17-2007, 03:40 PM
:sl:

Well Music is definately haram, and this topic has been discussed many times on LI.

Well, some people may say that music has no effect on their Imaan. But many Shuyookhs and Ulama's have said that Music influences the heart and attract's you more to it, if you keep on listening you may find it has a really big effect. That's why i see many people who listen to rap music, they try to act like the rappers/gangsters. It's not only about rap/hiphop, same could apply to any type of music.

Soulja Girl
09-17-2007, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
Well Music is definately haram. Well, some people may say that music has no effect on their Imaan. But many Shuyookhs and Ulama's have said that Music influences the heart and attract's you more to it, if you keep on listening you may find it has a really big effect. That's why i see many people who listen to rap music, they try to act like the rappers/gangsters. It's not only about rap/hiphop, same could apply to any type of music.
^Couldn't agree more^

I myself ues to listen to Music...But someone told me that just think, what if I woz to die whilst listening to Music? With that thought in Mind, Inshallah, you can stop...Also, there are many great Anasheed you can listen to? They could take your Mind off Music...:)

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bigboss22
09-28-2007, 11:39 PM
what are the scientific reasons for not listeing to msuic. from what i know about islam ive found that most things that are forbidden have some kind of scientific basis - for example sex before marriage spreads disease etc. so i was wondering what ill effects does music have on us.

snakelegs
09-28-2007, 11:46 PM
those who rule that it is haram, do not do so on the basis of science, any more than premarital sex is forbidden because of sexual disease.

Salaam
09-28-2007, 11:48 PM
there does not need to be a scientific reason for something to be made Haram by Allah. if there is a scientific reason it is only a added bonus.

snakelegs
09-28-2007, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salaam
there does not need to be a scientific reason for something to be made Haram by Allah. if there is a scientific reason it is only a added bonus.
well said.

Woodrow
09-28-2007, 11:52 PM
No more need to be said.

Allah(swt) has forbidden it. That should be sufficient reason.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-29-2007, 12:07 AM
:sl:

Ibn Qayyim has dealt in detail as to the reasonings behind this ruling:
"From among the artful machinations and entrapments of Allah's enemy [Satan], with which he has snared those possessing little good sense, knowledge and deen [faith], and by which he has stalked the hearts of the false and ignorant people, there is the listening to whistling, wailing, handclapping and song to the accompaniment of forbidden [musical] instruments. Such things block the Quraan from people's hearts and make them devoted to sin and disobedience. For song [to musical accompanient] is the Quraan of Ash-Shaytaan (Satan). It is a dense veil and barrier, preventing nearness to Ar-Rahmaaan!(*159) By way of such song, Satan deceives vain souls, making it appear pleasing to them through his cunning appeal to their vanities. He insidiously whispers false, specious arguments suggesting the 'goodness' in song. These arguments are accepted, and as a result, the Quraan becomes an object of neglect and abandonment."
Later on he says:
"Therefore, know song has particular characteristics which faint the heart, causing hypocrisy to sprout therein, just as water sprouts plants. Among its qualities is that it distracts the heart and prevents it from among contemplation and understanding of the Quraan, and from applying it. This is because Quraan and song can never coexist in the heart, since they are mutually contradictory. For verily, the Quraan forbids the pursuing of vanities and ordains restraint of the souls passions and temptations to evil. Song, on the other hand, encourages the very opposite of these virtues, as it excites the hidden inner self and entices the soul to inequity by driving it towards every shameful desire..."
Read on...

The rest of the book deals with the evidences showing that music is haram, and the statements of the scholars of the early generations.

http://www.islamicboard.com/fiqh/202...an-sunnah.html

Ibn Mas`ud said,
The love of the Quran and the love of music cannot combine in the heart of a believer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.