/* */

PDA

View Full Version : the flu

Ummu Sufyaan
09-20-2007, 03:48 AM
:sl:
at the moment i am getting over the flu, alhamdulilah, and a few things have happened to my body that dont usually when i have the flu. one of them being when i cough sometimes there is blood mixed with my lung mucous, when i spit out. and also last night i woke sweating a few times, even though my body temp felt normal, and the whther/enviroment (ie no heaters were on, etc) was also normal. so does ayone know what is going on??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-20-2007, 05:10 AM
sis how old are you? and what country are you in currently?
most of the time, blood tinged sputum is nothing more than a few broken blood vessles in the nose from constant blowing and irritation..HOWEVER.. I think you should pay a visit to your GP.. he or she can rule out other things like a superimposed infection or something more sinister..
May Allah grant you a speedy recovery.. meanwhile try using an air humidifer and use some nasal saline to flush out your nose.. like this one

:w:

glo
09-20-2007, 05:15 AM
Did you take your temperature with a thermometer? Your own temperature awareness will probably be all over the place, so don't rely on it ...
Cranking up the temperature is your body's way of weakening the virus in your body - but unfortunately it will weaken your own body too.
Try to keep yourself comfortable.
Keep taking fluids - REGULARLY, I don't think you are obliged to, or even encouraged to fast when you are ill!! (Seek some Islamic advice on that, if you feel you have to.)

Here is further advice from a website I found:
These are the best ways to treat the symptoms of flu:

Take plenty of rest because the body uses a lot of energy fighting infections so resting for the first couple of days gets it off to a good start
Keep warm
Make sure you drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration
Take paracetamol or anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen to lower a high temperature and relieve headaches and muscles aches
Drink hot water with lemon, ginger and honey
I don't like the sound of having blood in your mucus. Have you seen the doctor about this? If not, I really think you should.

Always contact your doctor if you're not getting better after a few days, if you're unduly short of breath or if you're coughing up blood or large amounts of yellow or green phlegm.
Quotes from this BBC site

Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

Peace

Ummu Sufyaan
09-20-2007, 06:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
sis how old are you? and what country are you in currently?
most of the time, blood tinged sputum is nothing more than a few broken blood vessles in the nose from constant blowing and irritation..HOWEVER.. I think you should pay a visit to your GP.. he or she can rule out other things like a superimposed infection or something more sinister..
May Allah grant you a speedy recovery.. meanwhile try using an air humidifer and use some nasal saline to flush out your nose.. like this one

jazakallahu khair sis, and thanks glo.
sis PA, the weird thing is, my nose hasn't at all been affected. like, i havn't gotten any nose runs or anything??

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
09-20-2007, 07:00 AM
You don't have to have the 'runs' to be affected... any irritation to the nose or lung will just by a viral organism will cause some damage.. that is in no way a diagnosis or meant to replace seeing your GP.. if your symptoms don't resolve within the next couple of days...
Tons of things will cause bloody sputum from tuberculosis to Histoplasmosis to Byssinosis.. I just don't think it is any of those based solely on commonality.. but that is only because I don't know anything about you, your age, your work conditions, your general medical health your exposures your past medical history, your allergies, your general immune conditions or that of the people around you.. you see that is why NO ONE but your GP can hand you a proper diagnosis.. the only thing anyone can do is give some common home remedies and advise praying your symptoms resolve but I say emphatically that you need to schedule an appt.with your GP.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-20-2007, 09:06 AM
would anyone know if eating an icypole is okay when one has the flu. i heard that eating icecream is okay, because appaerntly the coldness of it it kills the bacteria. is that true.

Malaikah
09-20-2007, 09:49 AM

LOL, first I've heard that. I really doubt it sis! :D Cold doesn't kill bacteria as far as I know. It only makes them grow slowly. That is why fridges are so important- to stop bacteria over growing in our foods.

And anyway, if you have the flu, that is caused by the virus influenza, not a bacteria. :) Of course, you could have any infection, so it is best to just see your doc.

glo
09-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Like Malaikah I don't think viruses or bacteria will be too much bothered by cold. They certainly like the human body temperature - but it's not like eating an icecream will lower your body temperature significantly.

But eating an icecream might soothe a sore throat, make you feel a little cooler or generally cheer you up ... so I can't see that it will do any harm. :D

Ebtisweetsam
09-20-2007, 12:23 PM
:sl: Sis, ive been sick for a week with the flu, apparantlty ive heard its come very strong, which may be why you are feeling so many symptoms. Ive had hot and cold fevers, weakness in my bones, coughing, stomach pains, abit of diarreahea, runny nose. All the members in my family have had a similar feeling. The thing is, we are feeling like we've had a case of gastro, food poisoning, cold and fever in one!
Hang in there sis.:w:

bewildred
09-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Please, try to avoid self-medication. Whan seems to be an ordinary flu symptom, can be that of a meningitis or that of several immune defficiencies.

Doctors know best.

Chafakoum Allah.

Bewildred S.

SpazzBurd
09-20-2007, 07:23 PM
I think you need to go see a doctor, because of the blood you've been bringing up. I'm only a nursing student, but this is something that needs to be checked out.

As regarding the ice cream, it would be better to avoid things like that because of the sugar. Bacteria and viruses feed on sugar, so eating ice cream is just making them stronger. Also, the milk increases congestion.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-21-2007, 03:06 AM
jazakallahu khair all. does anyone recommed a certain position when sleeping to reduce coughing.

Khayal
09-21-2007, 03:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
jazakallahu khair all. does anyone recommed a certain position when sleeping to reduce coughing.

Yes, I have one recommendation.........especially for you............
just ZIP your mouth tightly...:D

InshaAllah, there will be no more coughing..:blind:

Skillganon
09-21-2007, 04:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
at the moment i am getting over the flu, alhamdulilah, and a few things have happened to my body that dont usually when i have the flu. one of them being when i cough sometimes there is blood mixed with my lung mucous, when i spit out. and also last night i woke sweating a few times, even though my body temp felt normal, and the whther/enviroment (ie no heaters were on, etc) was also normal. so does ayone know what is going on??

Walaikum assalam.

That happened to me too.

It maybe due to damage incurred from constant caughing.

As advise see your GP.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-21-2007, 04:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khayal

Yes, I have one recommendation.........especially for you............
just ZIP your mouth tightly...:D

InshaAllah, there will be no more coughing..:blind:

i would except i have trouble breathing through my nose.

Md Mashud
09-21-2007, 05:05 AM
Flu's are flu's, one of the worst things that could happen, make you feel like your about to die! Unfortunatly their is no cure :( - You just have to let it run its course.

Malaikah
09-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Actually the flu can be treated very effectively if detected early enough (assuming she does have the flu).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!