/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The virtues of Vitamin D: It's time we saw the light

ahsan28
09-21-2007, 10:33 AM
The virtues of Vitamin D: It's time we saw the light

It may not be the first supplement to be called a "wonder vitamin", but it is one of the few to have lived up to the name. Last week, the biggest review of the role of vitamin D in health found that people who took supplements of the vitamin for six years reduced their risk of dying from all causes.

It was the proof that researchers had been waiting for. Earlier studies had suggested that vitamin D played a key role in protecting against cancer, heart disease and diabetes – conditions that account for 60 to 70 per cent of all deaths in the West. The new study, by scientists from the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon and the European Institute of Oncology in Milan and published in Archives of Internal Medicine, shows that it does.

Vitamin D is important because we are often short of it. Most healthy individuals get all the vitamins and minerals they need from eating a balanced diet, but vitamin D is the exception. It is made by the action of sunlight on the skin, which accounts for 90 per cent of the body's supply. Very little comes from food.

But the increasing use of sunscreens and the decreasing amount of time spent outdoors, especially by children, has contributed to what many scientists believe is an increasing problem of vitamin D deficiency.

How to get it – and how much you should take

* 90 per cent of the body's supply of vitamin D is generated by the action of sunlight on the skin.

* Vitamin D lasts for around 60 days in the body, so it needs regular topping up.

* Twenty minutes twice a week in the sun with exposed hands, arms and face is adequate to maintain reserves.

Independent. UK

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2974479.ece

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sevgi
09-21-2007, 01:29 PM
salams

thank u very much...

my dr tells me one shud have a vitamin d count of 80-140...

last summer mine was 19...

i spent all summer outside...and i went up only 11points till the next time...

lol...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.