/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Method I Just Thought Up Of Learning And Immersing In A New Language Quickly

omar_2133
09-21-2007, 06:47 PM
On the condition that you've had some prior knowledge of the language before to the extent that you can form basic sentences with it, do you think this method I thought up would be effective in learning and immersing yourself in a new language rapidly would work,

It involves learning four words of a new language per day, for a whole year. One of the words must be a verb, and the other three must be nouns or adjectives related in the contect to the verb. And every month you have a specific topic, and every week, an even more specific sub topic which those words are about.

For example:

If I am learning French, and I want the first month to be about religion, I could designate the first week to be about Islam, and the first day to be about the most basic Islamic principles. On the very first day, I would learn the words: "Allah", "Quran", "Islam" and "to Believe".

And after seven days - voila! I would have learnt 28 words and vocabulary to do with Islam, all in French. So if I happen to read them, or hear it being spoken, or have to write it, then I instantly know what it is.

------------

But of course, you would have to use brain recall techniques every day in order to hammer them firmly into your memory, but if you apply discipline and always keep to the programme, then by the end of the year, you would have developed a wide and in-depth vocabularical and terminological span in that.

And you don't have to finish in one year. You can keep following the programme for much longer, and increase your understanding of the language. Also, you can periodically immerse yourself in the language by listening to it on the television or the web, and with your new knowledge and grasp, the immersion proccess would be made easier.

What are your thoughts on this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Md Mashud
09-21-2007, 10:47 PM
How will you develop your fluency, grammer, speaking and writing skills tihs way? You will just become a walking dictionary :skeleton:

IbnAbdulHakim
09-21-2007, 10:55 PM
to be honest this doesnt sound very fast lol

omar_2133
09-22-2007, 09:30 AM
How will you develop your fluency, grammer, speaking and writing skills tihs way? You will just become a walking dictionary
This is not really aimed at speaking, but you could use it for that, providing you can get an audio file of the words being said, so you can pronounce it the correct way or recognize it whem you listen to it.

Also, like I said above, unless you have some form of prior knowledge and experience of the language, only then will it be practicable.

If I am learning French, and I want the first month to be about religion, I could designate the first week to be about Islam, and the first day to be about the most basic Islamic principles. On the very first day, I would learn the words: "Allah", "Quran", "Islam" and "to Believe".
I forgot to add that, with the four words you can string them together to make a couple of sentences, which are hopefully near to making sense.

But you will need a prior "knowledge or experience" of the language to do this, as you must know all the conjunctions (and, but e.t.c.) and verb endings and patterns of all the types of regular, and irregular verbs, and a few basic nouns, to form a sentence with those nouns and verbs.

For example: with the four words in French:

Allah
le Coran (Qu'ran)
Croire (to Believe)
l'Islam (Islam)"

which are all more or less of the same semantic field (i.e. related to each other)

I can form the sentence:

Je crois dans Allah et cela le Coran et les règles l'Islam est se mot.

I believe in Allah and that the Qu'ran and the rules of Islam are his word

(Please correct me if I have made any mistakes whatsoever in the above sentence as I am only a novice at French)

All of the four words are effecrtively stringed together in a sentence that more or less makes sense. Of course, you would have had to have a little experience to know what the other words and this demonstrates my point.

to be honest this doesnt sound very fast lol
I am not sure about your definition of "fast" but considering the fact that you would have effectively learnt 1460 words, including verbs and nouns, in a diverse variety of topics in that new language is quite some progress in the space of just a year.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
omar_2133
09-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Je crois dans Allah et cela le Coran et les règles l'Islam est se mot.

I believe in Allah and that the Qu'ran and the rules of Islam are his word
Sorry, meant to say:

Je crois dans Allah et cela le Coran est les règles d'Islam sont se mot.

omar_2133
09-22-2007, 09:47 AM
^^^^LOL, I am not good with these typos.

That was meant to be:

Je crois dans Allah et cela le Coran et les règles d'Islam sont se mot.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.