/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour

I_notGenerous
09-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Compulsion!!!

Compulsion are repetitive, ritualized behaviours that the person feels driven to perform to alleviate the anxiety of the obsessions. The obsessive and compulsive rituals can occupy many hours of each day.eg...smoking ..like
Oga, cannabis, environmental stresses...:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
deen_2007
09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
hmmm...yep......may i ask y u posted it?

i had a exam question on this last semester....yep your right. its a very disturbing illness.

Fishman
09-25-2007, 07:47 PM
:sl:
I think that OCD is one of those things that rarely actually happens, but is so unusual and 'weird' that the public becomes obsessed with it and blames every bit of odd behaviour on it without actually understanding how it functions. People have blamed me wanting to make wuhdoo before prayer on it, people have blamed me going to the Masjid a lot on it, and people have even blamed my friend's thumb-twiddling habits on it!
:w:

deen_2007
09-25-2007, 07:50 PM
theres OCD....

and theres OCD alike disorders.

you may not have had OCD.

it need classifications and analysis for you to identify which it really is.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
I_notGenerous
09-25-2007, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
hmmm...yep......may i ask y u posted it?

i had a exam question on this last semester....yep your right. its a very disturbing illness.
Hmm...mmmm people who smoke always deny this and that...:D

deen_2007
09-25-2007, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by I_notGenerous
Hmm...mmmm people who smoke always deny this and that...:D
care to elaborate? i didnt understand what u meant...:p ..

jb17
09-25-2007, 10:47 PM
apparently OCD is very common, but it getting to the point where it's a horrible disorder is more rare.

i don't have ocd but i remember as a kid i had to do everything in even numbers, counting, or whatever. my sister used to have really bad ocd. now i don't though, but then again i've changed a lot since then.

snakelegs
09-25-2007, 11:08 PM
don't know what point you're trying to make re: smoking.
smoking is a drug addiction, not OCD.

jb17
09-25-2007, 11:40 PM
yeah smoking is an addiction, not OCD.

smoking is horrible... i can't believe how many people do that, even people in my own family (though not a whole lot do it) it's still sickening.

I_notGenerous
09-26-2007, 06:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
True...:D but those addicts they deny that so I take it they are on compulsion when they can avoid but they cannot avoid. They need the substance to relieve tension and alleviate their symptoms.:coolalien

north_malaysian
09-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Yes! :thumbs_up

SolaceinIslam
09-26-2007, 07:22 AM

I have a friend who has been diagnosed with OCD, it really does affect your whole life. One's attitude in dealing with it can make a big difference though, but it is hard work.

:w:

wilberhum
09-26-2007, 08:18 PM
I was wondering if someone would wake up and smell the smoke.:D

Smoking and OCD have as much in common as fish and bicycles.
:confused:

deen_2007
09-26-2007, 10:12 PM
to the creator of this thread; i just want to understand, what was ur aim in creating it? i would love to have some sort of discussion about OCD. but unless you direct us, it will go in circles! from smoking to OCD---to OCD to smoking! lol

deen_2007
09-26-2007, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
I was wondering if someone would wake up and smell the smoke.:D

:
then thats hallucination...sensory hallucination. :D :happy:

I_notGenerous
09-27-2007, 04:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Yes! :thumbs_up

Sir, you sound like you are enjoying the therapeutic environment, I hope you are able to cope with the surroundings. Thank you.:D

I_notGenerous
09-27-2007, 04:27 AM
quite accurate but smoking is not exactly drug....but it could lead to addiction? So, what is addiction?

OCD is very broad...changes in the brain the serotonin level (chemical messenger) are thought to contribute to this disorder..

OCD...can be a genetic factor...but this congenital..

I am only concern about those chronic smokers...it could lead to OCD when the serotonin level and other areas in the brain are thought to contribute to disorder...smoking it does affect your well being when excessively and if it occupys many hours of each day. I describe it as an obsessions when without smoking it cause anxiety and engage in compulsion in an attempt to alleviate the distress.

So, smokers do not take it lightly..like you can quit easily...:eek:

snakelegs
09-27-2007, 04:40 AM
why do you say that smoking is not a drug? it is an addiction like any other addiction. i know because i was addicted to cigarettes.
i am not really sure where the line would be between a drug addiction and OCD, or for that matter, a habit an OCD.

I_notGenerous
09-27-2007, 05:11 AM
why do you say that smoking is not a drug? it is an addiction like any other addiction. i know because i was addicted to cigarettes.
i am not really sure where the line would be between a drug addiction and OCD, or for that matter, a habit an OCD.

Thank you for confirming that OCD is a habit, so does smoking...but drugs are classified as: alcohol, stimulants, depressants, narcotics, hallucinogenic, inhalants, cannabis etc...

So.. you are right for that matter and smoking depends on individuals...sometimes it could be an anti depressants, stimulants or inhalants is also could be an environmental issue..when a non smoker could inhaled nicotine and a hazard for someone...and any other individual...when exposed.:smile:

Anwarica
09-27-2007, 05:14 AM
Addiction & OCD .. totally different stories :)

DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE DISORDER
A. Either obsessions or compulsions:

Obsessions as defined by (1), (2), (3), and (4):

1. recurrent and persistent thoughts, impulses, or images that are experienced, at some time during the disturbance, as intrusive and inappropriate and that cause marked anxiety or distress
2. the thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems
3. the person attempts to ignore or suppress such thoughts, impulses, or images, or to neutralize them with some other thought or action
4. the person recognizes that the obsessional thoughts, impulses, or images are a product of his or her own mind (not imposed from without as in thought insertion)

Compulsions as defined by (1) and (2):

1. repetitive behaviors (e.g., hand washing, ordering, checking) or mental acts (e.g., praying, counting, repeating words silently) that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly
2. the behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive

B. At some point during the course of the disorder, the person has recognized that the obsessions or compulsions are excessive or unreasonable. Note: This does not apply to children.
C. The obsessions or compulsions cause marked distress, are time consuming (take more than 1 hour a day), or significantly interfere with the person’s normal routine, occupational (or academic) functioning, or usual social activities or relationships.
D. If another Axis I disorder is present, the content of the obsessions or compulsions is not restricted to it (e.g, preoccupation with food in the presence of an Eating Disorder; hair pulling in the presence of Trichotillomania; concern with appearance in the presence of Body Dysmorphic Disorder; preoccupation with drugs in the presence of a Substance Use Disorder; preoccupation with having a serious illness in the presence of Hypochondriasis; preoccupation with sexual urges or fantasies in the presence of a Paraphilia; or guilty ruminations in the presence of Major Depressive Disorder).
E. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition.
Full DSM-IV for OCD
--------------------------------------
DSM-IV for addiction
The DSM IV (1994) relies on symptoms for its definition. The DSM says that addiction, or dependence, is present in an individual who demonstrates any combination of three or more of the following symptoms (paraphrased for simplicity), occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

* Preoccupation with use of the chemical between periods of use.
* Using more of the chemical than had been anticipated.
* The development of tolerance to the chemical in question.
* A characteristic withdrawal syndrome from the chemical.
* Use of the chemical to avoid or control withdrawal symptoms.
* Repeated efforts to cut back or stop the drug use.
* Intoxication at inappropriate times (such as at work), or when withdrawal interferes with daily functioning (such as when hangover makes person too sick to go to work).
* A reduction in social, occupational or recreational activities in favor of further substance use.
* Continued substance use in spite of the individual having suffered social, emotional, or physical problems related to drug use.
As you notice, anyone can be a addicted to cigarettes because of the physiological symptoms related to withdrawal, and the increased intake by time.

OCD can be a bad thing when it's about cleanliness, but it can be a good thing about order (that patient will be a great librarian who classifies books, everything is in order :D ) .. scientists' personality are a bit related to OCD for the repetitive calculations and this whole numerical thinking :)

I_notGenerous
09-27-2007, 05:28 AM
:hmm:
format_quote Originally Posted by Anwarica
Addiction & OCD .. totally different stories :)

DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE DISORDER
Full DSM-IV for OCD
--------------------------------------
DSM-IV for addiction

As you notice, anyone can be a addicted to cigarettes because of the physiological symptoms related to withdrawal, and the increased intake by time.

OCD can be a bad thing when it's about cleanliness, but it can be a good thing about order (that patient will be a great librarian who classifies books, everything is in order :D ) .. scientists' personality are a bit related to OCD for the repetitive calculations and this whole numerical thinking :)

Ya...you have all from the websites..no issue..what does matter is our opinions that we gather from the facts. Its a broad issue anyway. It could lead to this and that.....

Anwarica
09-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Ya...you have all from the websites..no issue..what does matter is our opinions that we gather from the facts. Its a broad issue anyway. It could lead to this and that.....
Well, medicine - as a science - isn't based on opinions or individual experiences, unless we're talking about medicine in the old dark ages :)
The fact is, when smoking was first presented to this world, people thought it's a habit, but since the last century and there's no doubt it's an addiction & it's the predisposing factor for any disease you can imagine.
I don't want to turn this post into a lecture, just clarifying the main points. :)

P.S. the information provided here can be obtain from any psychiatry textbook & the DSM-IV criteria is the same in websites and books, it's not the best criteria, but it does really help diagnose.

I_notGenerous
09-27-2007, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anwarica
Well, medicine - as a science - isn't based on opinions or individual experiences, unless we're talking about medicine in the old dark ages :)
The fact is, when smoking was first presented to this world, people thought it's a habit, but since the last century and there's no doubt it's an addiction & it's the predisposing factor for any disease you can imagine.
I don't want to turn this post into a lecture, just clarifying the main points. :)

P.S. the information provided here can be obtain from any psychiatry textbook & the DSM-IV criteria is the same in websites and books, it's not the best criteria, but it does really help diagnose.
Thank you..I understand that very well..OCD is OCD and smoking is smoking...two different aspects. Medicine and Science are based on facts research, and findings as evidence.

From individual experiences patients have their own opinions, it depends on individual when taking care of their well being. Prevention is still better than cure.its better to stop before it leads to something that is unknown..

But again, its still a broad issue..Scientists collects data from the patients experiences, symptoms, objective data...etc...thank you.:happy:

Anwarica
09-27-2007, 03:07 PM
This is Ali reminding us just in case we forgot, I meant the last part of it .. as he shows, it's not about opinions when it comes to certain issues :)

Ummah
09-27-2007, 05:20 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking

everyone jokes at me for having OCD because im really obsessed with cleanliness and the order of things.. everything has to be in line with everything... i dont know why but if it isnt then i'll get really agitated and feel uneasy..
for example, if somethings restricting me from putting things in a neat order, ill get a tingling sensation at the back-bottom of my neck, kinda like when ur panicking about something/anxious
And when it comes to cleanliness, ill get the tingling feeling in my fingers, like i need to wash them really thouroughly again and again...
or i need to clean a particular thing e.g. kitchen work surface and i wont be satisfied until ive been scrubbing for ages even if its already clean

but im not ALWAYS like that.(espoecially with the neat order of things) its like strange phases i go through..

but one thing about the order thing is, i also have to do things in a certain order e.g. putting things away, or putting make up on...all of it has to be done in a pattern even though there wouldnt be any detriment in changing the order. and this is always with me, never in phases.

ive never really written all this down before, or discussed it with anyone...

please dont tell me im a psycho!

ranma1/2
09-28-2007, 02:05 AM
Compulsion!!!

Compulsion are repetitive, ritualized behaviours that the person feels driven to perform to alleviate the anxiety of the obsessions. The obsessive and compulsive rituals can occupy many hours of each day.eg...smoking ..like
Oga, cannabis, environmental stresses...:D
Compulsion!!!

Oga, cannabis, environmental stresses..

Compulsion!!!

Compulsion!!!

Compulsion!!!

Compulsion!!!

;)

snakelegs
09-28-2007, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah

everyone jokes at me for having OCD because im really obsessed with cleanliness and the order of things.. everything has to be in line with everything... i dont know why but if it isnt then i'll get really agitated and feel uneasy..
for example, if somethings restricting me from putting things in a neat order, ill get a tingling sensation at the back-bottom of my neck, kinda like when ur panicking about something/anxious
And when it comes to cleanliness, ill get the tingling feeling in my fingers, like i need to wash them really thouroughly again and again...
or i need to clean a particular thing e.g. kitchen work surface and i wont be satisfied until ive been scrubbing for ages even if its already clean

but im not ALWAYS like that.(espoecially with the neat order of things) its like strange phases i go through..

but one thing about the order thing is, i also have to do things in a certain order e.g. putting things away, or putting make up on...all of it has to be done in a pattern even though there wouldnt be any detriment in changing the order. and this is always with me, never in phases.

with a lot of psychological labels, i am not sure who gets to decide where the line is. as anwarica pointed out:
OCD can be a bad thing when it's about cleanliness, but it can be a good thing about order (that patient will be a great librarian who classifies books, everything is in order ) .. scientists' personality are a bit related to OCD for the repetitive calculations and this whole numerical thinking
i guess, in the end, it is a matter of degree. when it starts to run your life, you have a problem.

snakelegs
09-28-2007, 03:45 AM
Thank you for confirming that OCD is a habit, so does smoking...but drugs are classified as: alcohol, stimulants, depressants, narcotics, hallucinogenic, inhalants, cannabis etc...

So.. you are right for that matter and smoking depends on individuals...sometimes it could be an anti depressants, stimulants or inhalants is also could be an environmental issue..when a non smoker could inhaled nicotine and a hazard for someone...and any other individual...when exposed.:smile:
nicotene is a stimulant and is indeed a drug.
smoking, at least for most smokers, is a drug addiction, not a habit. there are some (rare) people who are in the habit of having a cigarette on a rare special occaision, who do not become addicted, but most smokers are addicts.
OCD as i understand it (and i don't know much about it) is not an addiction and is much more than a habit.

I_notGenerous
09-30-2007, 10:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah

Well, if you are able to cope with it...but OCD is more than that, it could be genitics or congenital factors or from other external source..it is actually a disorder....well I hope you are able to cope with it.:peace:

Muslim Knight
09-30-2007, 01:17 PM
I have OCD. I keep forgetting whether or not I've locked the car.

I_notGenerous
09-30-2007, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
I have OCD. I keep forgetting whether or not I've locked the car.
nothing interesting...its only dementia, degenerative, or altered mental in mental status.:peace:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.