/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Young Children Losing The Habit Of Reading With Their Parents

ahsan28
09-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Young children losing the habit of reading with their parents

By Richard Garner, Education Editor
Published: 26 September 2007
Independent. UK

Children of primary school age spend more time on their own or playing with friends than they do in the company of their parents, according to research published today. Even mealtimes are squeezed into as little time as possible so that children can leave the table and watch television or play with their toys.

A survey of more than 1,800 parents also revealed that they spend more time reading on their own than they do reading with their parents. The survey, commissioned by Booktime, a programme set up to encourage parents to spend more time reading aloud to their children, paints a picture of a "loner" generation which spends more time in front of a television set than on any other activity.

It may be the rise of the 'whatever' generation or the fact that these children are too busy watching TV and playing, but it appears that helping mum and dad with simple chores comes bottom of the activity league for primary school children. Thirty-eight per cent of parents state that their children do not do any household chores.

"Primary school aged children spend the majority of their leisure time either alone or with friends rather than with family."

In most cases, it is the mother who takes the lead in reading to her children – with 73 per cent of youngsters saying she was the main reader in the family compared with just 16 per cent who said their fathers took the lead role.

http://news.independent.co.uk/educat...cle2998920.ece

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
09-27-2007, 01:24 PM
:salamext:

When my sister grows up [she's 5 now] I am going to get her to read all 7 Harry Potter books. Very good for vocabulary and interesting :p

Miss Palestine
10-15-2007, 02:07 AM
no matter how hard i try i can't get into any harry potter books...idk y =/ lolz

*~Sofia~*
10-24-2007, 06:16 PM
:sl:

when I was younger, my parents never read me stories, bedtime stories etc.
But I still grew up loving to read! :) i absolutely love reading, anything n everything! :D

When my sister grows up [she's 5 now] I am going to get her to read all 7 Harry Potter books. Very good for vocabulary and interesting
^ awwww, that's soo sweet :D harry potter is wiked, i love the books even tho i know it's not beneficial :X but j.K has got a really impressive imagination. Neway you can read to her prophet stories too, along with the harry potter stuff, that way she can learn some stuff too :D that's what I would do :)

neway

w'salam
x

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.