/* */

PDA

View Full Version : For the somali sisters and brothers

Samiira
09-28-2007, 07:31 AM
:sl:

Mashallah, i have noticed that in this forum there are lot of somali ppl. Im somali sister, too (suprise :D ) and i would like to get to know you, insha Allah. And at the same time learn the somali language with you. I know it is much easier to write english but let us try to write in somali islamic threads.
I can tell you that my somali is not that good but i will try, Insha Allah.

First let me introduce myself

Walaalayaal waxaan ahay inan soomaaliyeed oo diinteeda jecel, isguna dayeysana iney sii barato si wanaagsan, Insha Allah. Waxaana daganahay wadan ka mid ah wadamaha scandinaivia. Waxaan wadankaas dagnaa muddo 17 sanno ah. Alxamdulillah, waxaan ka soo baxay jaamacadda waxaana halkaas ka bartay kemistiriga ( im not sure if you write that way :D ). Imikana waan shaqeeyaa. Walaalayaal waxaan niga codsanayaa inaad idunkuna sidaas isku sheegtaan haddaad rabtaan ma aha khasab, Insha Allah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu Ilyas
11-06-2008, 02:20 PM
lol, you can write very good. Mashallah:)

I'll try to write an intro like that when I get some free time Insha'Allah

Cabdullahi
11-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I wont even bother.. thats how crap i am

Abu Ilyas
11-06-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm not that good either, but it's always good to learn to read/write your home language.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
11-06-2008, 06:08 PM
^Thats right,since you are better equipped you could help the likes of me learn our language ,it would be beneficial inshallah :)

Abu Ilyas
11-07-2008, 03:42 PM
^ nice idea:)............... now where have all the Somalians gone. I'm sure there's plenty.

Cabdullahi
11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
i think its just us

edil
11-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Salams. I read this few times but am not really good in somali but i'll try. Here goes nothing. I learned all this threw attending halaqas at the masjid cause they speak nothing but somali. Feel free to correct my errors.
Magacayga waxa la daha Edil. Waxan daganahay dalka maraynkanka.Jamacad ayaan digtaa insha'allah waxan raba cafimadka inan barto ona dadkeyga ku caawiyo markan damaye. Alle aya dinta igu hanuniya sanatho kaa hor hadana waxan ka jeclahay maa jirto dintan.

Cabdullahi
11-07-2008, 05:26 PM
thats quite good,il have a go magaycga waxa la daha ahmed....ah i give up :(

UnknownOne
11-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Hmm
I have no connection to the language, but can I just ask if the phrase "waira" is offensive?
I hear it everyday!
Gah
Sounds pretty stupid if you don't know what it means =]

Olive
11-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm not Somali bit wuria means "oi".

Correct me if I'm wrong! :p

Abu Ilyas
11-23-2008, 07:45 PM
It's "Waryaa"
Yep it means "oi" - Masculine

Maymoona
12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Salaams Everyone !
I think that this is such a great idea :D I know how to speak Somali really well although I grew up here in the US. I know how to read aff Somali but writing it takes me a really long time and I always end up second guessing myself about how words are spelled. This should give me the practice I need :P

NajmaHoodo
01-12-2009, 03:31 PM
anaa idin baraya soo diyaar garooba lol buugaag iyo qalimaan soo qaata

somalilady
01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
ana macalamada najmo ayaa kala caawinaaya dadka aad ugu adagyahay so is keena hala idin arko

بنــuaeــت
01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I do not know anything in the Somali language

I am of the obstacles of language ^ ^

When my friend Somali Somali-speaking I do not understand anything

That is why I want to learn to understand

somalilady
01-12-2009, 05:29 PM
arnt u somali

edil
01-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Haye halke laga bilawa, qalinkega iya bugega waa e diyar (lol)!!!

somalilady
01-14-2009, 10:44 PM
sis meesha rabtid ayaa laga bilaabayaa waxa kugu adag so sheego mise waxad rabta inaa xuruufta ka bilawadaa

laakin waxa la raba ardayda inay casharka la socdaan imtixaana waa laga qaada

good luck 2 all of ya

Intisar
01-15-2009, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by somalilady
sis meesha rabtid ayaa laga bilaabayaa waxa kugu adag so sheego mise waxad rabta inaa xuruufta ka bilawadaa

laakin waxa la raba ardayda inay casharka la socdaan imtixaana waa laga qaada

good luck 2 all of ya
:sl: Intaxaan? Oo yaa yiri? Duroos iyo cashaar ma jiro? Yaa macalinka meeshaan ka ah? :D

somalilady
01-15-2009, 11:53 PM
ameena sis weli ma bilaabin casharada hada ayaa la stargareenayaa so lasoco

macalimada waa najmo hoodo

somalilady
01-15-2009, 11:55 PM
aniga second hand teacher

Intisar
01-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Mashaa'Allaah dad badaan oo Soomaali ah ba meeshaan ka buuxo, adigana af Soomaali fiicaan baad ii baran karta inshaa'Allaah. Waxan uu bahan ahay inaan kalimada af Soomaali badaan baro, waad ii baraan maha? :D

edil
01-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Salams, I dont know if we're over exaggerating but I dont think it's possible to learn a language especially the somali language in this type of environment(a forum), usually its better if theres a teacher,besides I dont think many would be committed to stay and teach also learn.
I think its better off we just ask questions if we have any on what some phrases or words mean. It would also be better if it was practical and we write down what we can and someone can correct it. This topic has been here for a while and there arent a lot of active members so I thought maybe we should make it more interesting. And any ideas are welcomed and also criticism.

Abu Ilyas
01-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Sida ugu fiican oo luqadda soomaaliga lagu barto waxaa waaye in aad marwalbo dadka in aad soomaali kula hadashid, waalidkiina la sheekeesta, Thats my advice:rolleyes:

Intisar
01-28-2009, 08:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by edil
Salams, I dont know if we're over exaggerating but I dont think it's possible to learn a language especially the somali language in this type of environment(a forum), usually its better if theres a teacher,besides I dont think many would be committed to stay and teach also learn.
I think its better off we just ask questions if we have any on what some phrases or words mean. It would also be better if it was practical and we write down what we can and someone can correct it. This topic has been here for a while and there arent a lot of active members so I thought maybe we should make it more interesting. And any ideas are welcomed and also criticism.
:sl: Good idea, many people have a problem with tenses and not the actual words. For example:

Ahaa = was
Ahayn = wasn't
Ah = is

OR

Lahaa = Had
Lahayn = Hadn't
Lahaydeen = They did not have
Lahayeen = They did not

So it's not so much about not knowing, but the grammatical errors and the vocab needs to be expanded from besides ''ha'' and ''maya''. ;D

Abu Ilyas, :sl: ha waa ruunta aboowe, dadka oo afkood aqoon waayo walidkooda kula hadli meyaan markay aqalka dhex fahdiyaan.

Fahiima
03-12-2009, 04:36 AM
waxan u maleyna this post old waye but anigana wa iska kin shega. magacey fahiima waye . waxan ku nolahay dalka mareykanka . waxan barta medicine. barasho wanagsan all of you

somalilady
03-13-2009, 10:21 PM
mashalaah sis wlc waxan umalaynaa inaad ku cusubtahay meesha kuso dhawoow barasho wanaagsan sis

God-is-great
03-13-2009, 10:47 PM
does ana mean I? if so, here goes my try of somali language
ana magacay yusuf.
Ana wa kudila (I have no idea what that means. I just hear this girl say it to her lil brother)

Intisar
03-13-2009, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by God-is-great
does ana mean I? if so, here goes my try of somali language
ana magacay yusuf.
Ana wa kudila (I have no idea what that means. I just hear this girl say it to her lil brother)
;D ;D She told her brother that she would kill him.

And if you wanna say my name is...it's ''magacayga waa yusuf''. There is no need for ana, or aniga, since you're trying to say ''my name is yusuf'' and not ''I am yusuf'' lol.

God-is-great
03-14-2009, 12:33 AM
oooh, so that's what it means
i remember one time i told my older sister "ana wa kudila"
and she goes... ima kudila ya fayce

sister herb
04-27-2009, 12:06 PM

I am not somali but Finnish sister. As my work I teach Finnish language to immigrants. Some my newest students are from Somalia and most of them and I haven´t any common language together. Could somebody advise me about some simple english-somali dictionary, so I could collect some useful words from there using with my students.

your sister

Cabdullahi
04-27-2009, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb

I am not somali but Finnish sister. As my work I teach Finnish language to immigrants. Some my newest students are from Somalia and most of them and I haven´t any common language together. Could somebody advise me about some simple english-somali dictionary, so I could collect some useful words from there using with my students.

your sister
Sister i have no dictionary to give to you or direct you to a place where you can buy one but if you tell me the words you want and i will translate it for you

For example

how are you = ISKAWARAN

etc..

:D

nebula
04-27-2009, 05:28 PM
im not somalian but a close brother of mine is, i know abit about the somalian food such as anjeel :D looks yummy.

sister herb
04-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Thanks about your help. I have list of most needed words in my PC at work, so I will send them to you tomorrow. Those are just simple everyday-words which are needed speacially for a person who has just moved to strange country and starts his living there.

This would be a great help for my students.

:D

your sister

Ar-RaYYan
04-27-2009, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
im not somalian but a close brother of mine is, i know abit about the somalian food such as anjeel :D looks yummy.
you mean you havent tasted it yet! tst tst what kind of friend is he :D

Afraa
04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
assalamu caleykum.

I am very happy to see so many somalis on the forum. I thought i was the only one lool.

anyways my somali writing could use a little work lakinse waan dhadaleyaa so ha ila yabina. lool

anyways thank for the thread.:D

AbuSalahudeen
04-27-2009, 07:11 PM

I'm Somali but my Somali is very weak, it can be very very embarrassing at times, I only speak Somali to my immediate family members. But inshallah I'm working on it, but because there are many different dialects, and Somali was a oral language up until the 70's it very hard to find suitable material to support my development and improvement.

nebula
04-27-2009, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
you mean you havent tasted it yet! tst tst what kind of friend is he :D
Hes a good brother mashallah :P, but i just haven't visited his house he lives far from me.

Cabdullahi
04-27-2009, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
I love anjeelo,i actually call it laxoox but there's something better CHECK IT OUT!

AbuSalahudeen
04-27-2009, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
I love anjeelo,i actually call it laxoox but there's something better CHECK IT OUT!

Theres nothing like Laxoox and some Shah in the morning before a long day in the office.

What is that, some type of cake?

Ar-RaYYan
04-27-2009, 08:10 PM

is it just me or doesnt this look like xalwad? i mean the brown thing

AbuSalahudeen
04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
is it just me or doesnt this look like xalwad? i mean the brown thing
I think your right sister, I like Xalwad but just a little at a time, otherwise I get a mad sugar rush.

Cabdullahi
04-27-2009, 08:13 PM
ofcourse its halwad....wallahi i love it but...the people who make it have a tendency of adding a large amount of sugar :(...i like it when its not full of sugar,with nuts abit of hail....nice and simple

AbuSalahudeen
04-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I think we Somali's have major issues with the amount of sugar we put in our tea and Ma'a Ma Aaan (Thats probably spelt incorrectly lol). At work when ever tea is offered to me and I ask for my usual 3 teaspoon of sugar, everyone thinks I'm some sort of crack head on sugar, and thats when I'm holding back on the amount of sugar I actually want lol.

Do we have issues with Sugar or isit totally acceptable to have 3-4 teaspoons of sugar in your tea?

Cabdullahi
04-27-2009, 08:22 PM
I avoid sugary things all together

Sahabiyaat
04-27-2009, 08:24 PM
ahh now we know why u r always so sour! lol.

ayan333
04-27-2009, 08:26 PM

its crazy,i think its safe to say ive drank tea one in the last 5 years if not more....

they way i see my family and others drinkin it,it has to be addicting.

:w:

Cabdullahi
04-27-2009, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
ahh now we know why u r always so sour! lol.

batameez^.........im messing............

Cabdullahi
04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

its crazy,i think its safe to say ive drank tea one in the last 5 years if not more....

Ive actually had tea about 5 times in my life maybe more but i never drink it

ayan333
04-27-2009, 08:30 PM

ya im not a fan..idk y

AbuSalahudeen
04-27-2009, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

I use to never drink tea, like never, until I entered the world of...The Office Worker...full of 40 tea breaks a day and 99% of the work force is living on Coffee, without it their life would fall to peaces and arguments and stress would mulitply by 2000%.

AbuSalahudeen
04-27-2009, 08:32 PM
I find it hard to function without having a cup of tea in the morning.

Ar-RaYYan
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
ofcourse its halwad....wallahi i love it but...the people who make it have a tendency of adding a large amount of sugar :(...i like it when its not full of sugar,with nuts abit of hail....nice and simple
hmm Xalwad without the usually amount of sugar somalis put on? sounds appealing
the amount of sugar people put in xalwad just puts me off eating it i might aswell eat the sugar itself

Do we have issues with Sugar or isit totally acceptable to have 3-4 teaspoons of sugar in your tea?
course we got an issue!! do you know what the annoying thing is? the fact that when you go to somebody's house they just give you the tea and you dont have a choice how much sugar you want !

nebula
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
is this tea talk now :P

AbuSalahudeen
04-27-2009, 08:37 PM
hmm Xalwad without the usually amount of sugar somalis put on? sounds appealing
the amount of sugar people put in xalwad just puts me off eating it i might aswell eat the sugar itself

course we got an issue!! do you know what the annoying thing is? the fact that when you go to somebody's house they just give you the tea and you dont have a choice how much sugar you want !
Thats when you start bringing in your own little bags of sugar, that is unless its too much sugar (is there such a thing).

Ar-RaYYan
04-27-2009, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnuFarah
Thats when you start bringing in your own little bags of sugar, that is unless its too much sugar (is there such a thing).
haha :Dno way my mum would kill me! seriously even though im old enough to know when im full :rollseyes they actually force you to eat more! hmm mashllah our aunties what would we have become without them :exhausted

AbuSalahudeen
04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
haha :Dno way my mum would kill me! seriously even though im old enough to know when im full :rollseyes they actually force you to eat more! hmm mashllah our aunties what would we have become without them :exhausted
...........Lean, Cut and Muscular.........loooool

Cabdullahi
04-27-2009, 09:05 PM
there's no cordial treatment better than ayeeyo's mashallah :)

Paragon
04-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Ive actually had tea about 5 times in my life maybe more but i never drink it
Just 5 times in your life? Not even shaah caano when you were a kid? :) It's a surprise to see a Somali that has drank so little of tea. I must have atleast 5 a day to open my eyes... 'when the sweat oozes, and clarity lifts the hues of caajis from the shoulders of sight. :) As Somalis say: 'Raggi waa shaax, dumarina waa sheeko' or Men are to tea as women are to gossip. Ahem. A bit harsh, I know but that's the camel boy mentality for you. Typical geeljire.

Intaa ka dib, waxaan dhamaantiin idin ku salaamayaa salaanta salaamaha ugu qaalisan, oo ah mid ay ku dheehan tahay raxmad iyo kalgacayl. Salaantaasi oo ka soo go'dey kasha iyo laabta, oo uu carrab oraah macaan bartey idiin soo gudbiyey. Phew! One learns about such formal Somali greetings when reading letters for Islaamaha qararafsatada ah.

Anyway, I am glad you brothers and sisters are eager to learn more about Somali, and it would be an honour to be here when you - to learn and to hopefully understand more of our rich language. Been teaching the little Somali I know as part of the UK GCSE for sec. school Somali kids for a few months now, and everytime I go through the teaching materials, I never fail to discover new wisdoms or murti deeply-set in the very fabric of our language. From the poetry to the folk-tales, from the grammer to the literatures, Somali is indeed a poet's language. We were not called the Nation of poets for no reason, I suppose.

Writen too much I guess but forgive me. I am here before my usual somali forum is today offline hence why I am here.

Err...did I introduce myself horta? guess not.

Walks off... puzzled

Intisar
04-30-2009, 12:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Paragon
Just 5 times in your life? Not even shaah caano when you were a kid? :) It's a surprise to see a Somali that has drank so little of tea. I must have atleast 5 a day to open my eyes... 'when the sweat oozes, and clarity lifts the hues of caajis from the shoulders of sight. :) As Somalis say: 'Raggi waa shaax, dumarina waa sheeko' or Men are to tea as women are to gossip. Ahem. A bit harsh, I know but that's the camel boy mentality for you. Typical geeljire.
Haha, it's not offensive...just the truth, but I always thought raaga drink qaxwo more. At least that's the impression I got from my Dad, subax welbo shaah baan uu kaariya.

Intaa ka dib, waxaan dhamaantiin idin ku salaamayaa salaanta salaamaha ugu qaalisan, oo ah mid ay ku dheehan tahay raxmad iyo kalgacayl. Salaantaasi oo ka soo go'dey kasha iyo laabta, oo uu carrab oraah macaan bartey idiin soo gudbiyey. Phew! One learns about such formal Somali greetings when reading letters for Islaamaha qararafsatada ah.
MashaAllaah afki hoyoo sii fiicaan baad ku hadli karti (errr..qoraalkaga aad iyo aad buu uu fiicaanyahay). Maad na baratid?

Sadly, my Somali vocab is in the pits...but it's getting there alhamdulilah. I speak to my ayeyo in full on Somali, as well as my parents so I guess it's not that bad.

Anyway, I am glad you brothers and sisters are eager to learn more about Somali, and it would be an honour to be here when you - to learn and to hopefully understand more of our rich language. Been teaching the little Somali I know as part of the UK GCSE for sec. school Somali kids for a few months now, and everytime I go through the teaching materials, I never fail to discover new wisdoms or murti deeply-set in the very fabric of our language. From the poetry to the folk-tales, from the grammer to the literatures, Somali is indeed a poet's language. We were not called the Nation of poets for no reason, I suppose.

Writen too much I guess but forgive me. I am here before my usual somali forum is today offline hence why I am here.

Err...did I introduce myself horta? guess not.

Walks off... puzzled
MashaAllaah, soo dhawoow aboowe. Make yourself at home, there are a great many Somalis and a lot of diversity on this very forum. Who knows, you may even pick up a few words from different languages inshaAllaah lol.

Khayr baan isku oognahay. :)

ayan333
04-30-2009, 01:13 AM

i would try to respond in Somali but the time it'll take me to write it correctly, and the time it takes you to actually read it and comprehend it is a waster so i rather not

i think i understand everything you all said

its kind of sad...i was so fluent in Somali but my interest in other languages has taken over...

Paragon
05-01-2009, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
Haha, it's not offensive...just the truth, but I always thought raaga drink qaxwo more. At least that's the impression I got from my Dad, subax welbo shaah baan uu kaariya.
Lol. Alright then. Well, it's true that a larger percentage of town dwellers had picked up coffee in the place of tea, but in the Somali countryside (that's including all Somali inhibited regions from N.E.Kenya to Ogaden and Djibouti and beyond), the majority of men do drink tea. Women are somehow exempted from this tea-consuming privilage - Somali (false) legend has it that tea isn't good for the health of a woman - and the main reason could propably be since sugar is expensive is purchased by men, to save on sugar, such legends were of necessary invention. :) I can imagine your father drinking Kenyan Ngome Number 1 coffee brand, the stongest kaxwo there is around, which could even turn an elephant into an insomniac. But who knows, perhaps he's in the diaspora and drinks refined products. :)

MashaAllaah afki hoyoo sii fiicaan baad ku hadli karti (errr..qoraalkaga aad iyo aad buu uu fiicaanyahay). Maad na baratid?
Mahadsanid, walaal/abaayo. I wasn't taught in Somali school though I was born there, but my father (AUN) home-schooled us on Somali school subjects, and our mother/older brothers insisted that we write all letters in Somali. Growing in a place (Kenya) where Swahili was the national language, it was simply an exciting challenge to write/speak the standard Somali. Anyway, if I get the chance, perhaps I'll share the teaching materials with you brothers/sisters on these boards, and I myself could learn new things.

Sadly, my Somali vocab is in the pits...but it's getting there alhamdulilah. I speak to my ayeyo in full on Somali, as well as my parents so I guess it's not that bad.
No, no. Not sad at all. Maasha-Allaah, I think you have grasped the Somali in writing but I could only pick minor things such as 'shaqal gaab' iyo 'shaqal dheer-ka. For ex. you wrote 'kaariya' instead of 'Kariyaa'. One 'a' is shaqal gaab while 'aa' is shaqal dheer. My suggestion is to say the word out loud and then determine the proper place of 'a' or 'aa'. In this instance, if I read out the word 'Kariyaa', I can break the pronounciation into particular syllables such as 'ka', 'ri', 'yaa'. As such, let your voice guide your writing. I am sure it'll become apparent that if you divide the words into syllables, even where shaqal gaab or shaqal dheer sounds more clearly. I think you get my drift. :)

MashaAllaah, soo dhawoow aboowe. Make yourself at home, there are a great many Somalis and a lot of diversity on this very forum. Who knows, you may even pick up a few words from different languages inshaAllaah lol.

Khayr baan isku oognahay. :)
Thank you dear, I feel welcomed and right at home. Indeed, I am here to learn, Insha-Allaah.

Khayr baan isku ognahay, Insha-Allaah.

Jawarah
05-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm a Somali sis too but.. i feel more arab with all my arab friends lol.

Jawarah
05-01-2009, 04:33 PM
BTW i'm new and i don't know how to post threads

Paragon
05-01-2009, 04:34 PM
^Lol. It does happen at times. One tends to pick up a friend's cultural traits after sometime, and then one feels more at home in that culture than any other. It's a human think.

But having said so, although I myself is a newbew, I'd like to extend a warm welcome to you. Please welcome.

Jawarah
05-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks,Paragon and can you tell me how to post threads?

Thanks again and salaam!

Paragon
05-01-2009, 04:47 PM
^You are welcome. I don't think both you and I have that privilage as of yet. Could be dependent on how many posts we make or perhaps the duration of time spent in the forum to be allowed to post threads and edit posts. Not attatchment sending as well, and etc..

Jawarah
05-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks,Paragon and can you tell me how to post threads?

Thanks again and salaam!:) :p:

Paragon
05-01-2009, 04:59 PM
^See above please.

Ar-RaYYan
05-01-2009, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawarah
BTW i'm new and i don't know how to post threads
:sl: sis welcome to LI
To introduce yourself go to the Introdcution section and above it says 'create new thread' inshallah press that and you are done.

and also you can create other threads as well just go to the apprpriate sections and follow what i wrote above :)

Samiira
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Salaama Caleikum walaalayaal

Iska warama?. Beri hore ayaa meeshan igu dabeysay. MaashaAllah dadkeenina meesha wey soo heleen. Halkaa ka sii wada :)

habiibti
06-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Assalamu aleikum Maryooleys and the rest.

liya
07-04-2009, 09:21 PM
asalamoo alikum brothers and sisters i can talk somali but noooooooooo writing at all .... but i wish some1 who can teach us guyz who dont insha allah ....

AbuSalahudeen
07-14-2009, 03:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by liya
asalamoo alikum brothers and sisters i can talk somali but noooooooooo writing at all .... but i wish some1 who can teach us guyz who dont insha allah ....
Salam,

Yes writing is very hard to pick up, but you have to remember Af Somali was always oral up until the 1970's when they started to make it a written and oral language. The Somali Language in its written form has gone through a number of transitions over the years, first written using arabic letters then moving on to using the english alphabet.

I'm learning how to write now, the problem is the lack of resources that teach it, there are a few books but IHO they are some what weak, but others may beneit from them.

liya
07-15-2009, 12:29 AM
i ddnt know that we use to use arabic letters before interseting really !! .... brother cud u tell me the names of the books maybe it ill help me insha allah waa jazaka allahu khairan

AbuSalahudeen
07-15-2009, 08:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by liya
i ddnt know that we use to use arabic letters before interseting really !! .... brother cud u tell me the names of the books maybe it ill help me insha allah waa jazaka allahu khairan
Inshallah, when I get home from work i'll have a good look around.

muslim_rose18
07-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Asalamu alaykum

what happened to this thread, it's dead now!

Cabdullahi
07-19-2009, 10:02 AM
its dead because ppl like you disappear and never turn up only occasionally

Xiaus
07-27-2009, 11:17 AM

Is there space for another Somali sister? :p:

AbuSalahudeen
07-27-2009, 12:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Xiaus

Is there space for another Somali sister? :p:
Everyone is welcome.

Xiaus
07-29-2009, 07:35 PM
:sl:. ^ IbnuFarah, users with limited account can't send PMs until 50 posts or something.

Thanks for the dear welcome, though.

Samiira
08-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Sister Xiaus, welcome on my behalf too. Unfortunately I dont visit this forum that often even if i wanted to. InshaAllah you will find a lot of beneficial articels :)

Ar-RaYYan
08-09-2009, 09:30 PM
^sis samiira welcome back! i was wondering what happened to the sister who made this thread.

Xiaus
08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm more of a lurker really so I'm not around much either but Alhamdullilah, I've found plenty of gems and learn from them so it's all good. Btw, maxsanid for the welcome abaayo. :statisfie

(I hope that I said that correctly because my Somali is deeeeeeeeeeeead. :skeleton: )

Salahudeen
08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I thought somalian's spoke arabic :S

Truthworthy
08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
awesome. here is another somali brother :D join my Somalia group on http://www.ummah24.com/group/somalia

Misz_Muslimah
08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
aslamalikum wa rahmatu laahi wa barakaatu

Ar-RaYYan
08-10-2009, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
I thought somalian's spoke arabic :S
No we have a language of our own although some of the words are similar to Arabic.

Originally Posted by Xiaus
(I hope that I said that correctly because my Somali is deeeeeeeeeeeead. )
just swap the 'x' with 'h' and you got it right. btw a late welcome from me

Welcome to LI and to this (dead) thread sis Misz_Muslimah and br Truthworthy. Inshallah i hope you guys have an awesome time here

Samiira
08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Wa Caleikuma Salaam wa Raxmatullaahi wa Barakaatum, sis Muslimah and welcome :)

Thankx sister Rayyan for welcoming :). Sis, i was to busy lately that i didnt have chance to see what is going on in this forum.

It is all right sis Xiaus take your time to know this forum better. And dont worry about your somali language you here to learn :) and we can help each other, InshaAllah.

nebula
08-10-2009, 06:28 PM
mashallah alot of somalian bros and sisters on here, im not somalian but i know 1 somalian word, waryaaaaaaa!

Xiaus
08-11-2009, 11:29 AM
^ :sl: lol that's the only somali word worth knowing really but I suggest you try learn the word 'nayaa' (female version of waryaa). Just be sure to dodge the flying sandals. :statisfie

format_quote Originally Posted by Samiira
It is all right sis Xiaus take your time to know this forum better. And dont worry about your somali language you here to learn :) and we can help each other, InshaAllah.
Thanks sis, insh'Allah i'll get that stage where i know enough to start giving knowledge back.

No we have a language of our own although some of the words are similar to Arabic.

just swap the 'x' with 'h' and you got it right. btw a late welcome from me
I always thought x = arabic 7 = h. Jazakallah. :statisfie

Btw you guys, is saying Ilahi (somali way of saying 'Allah' SWT) disrespectful? I don't know but it sounds like a diminutive of Allah's glory and too 'cutesy'. I've also had minor arguments with people who didn't recognise the word after I said "Ilahi is my God" randomly one day and they subsequently thought I wasn't a Muslim and went as far to call me kaffir. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeird.

Is it better to say Allah?

:wa:

Ar-RaYYan
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Xiaus

Btw you guys, is saying Ilahi (somali way of saying 'Allah' SWT) disrespectful? I don't know but it sounds like a diminutive of Allah's glory and too 'cutesy'. I've also had minor arguments with people who didn't recognise the word after I said "Ilahi is my God" randomly one day and they subsequently thought I wasn't a Muslim and went as far to call me kaffir. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeird.

Is it better to say Allah?

:wa:
As far as i know i dont think saying 'Ilahay' or 'Ilahi' is disrespectful. Its just another way of saying 'God' or 'Allah' they all have the same meaning. Although i think its best if we use the word 'Allah' rather than 'God' as 'God' can be associated with many things. If i remember rightly we had a discussion about this .
Yup found it :http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...h-not-god.html

ps- those people shouldnt call you a kaafir for saying that! subhanallah dont they know the consequence of that!

suheylah
01-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Any of yall still active? considering this post was from 2006 :haha:

TMGuide
01-16-2016, 07:21 PM
;D;D we can revive this thread ������

TMGuide
01-16-2016, 07:21 PM
;D;D we can revive this thread

The-Deist
03-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Hoyoo

mashaallah04
09-04-2016, 05:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The-Deist
Hoyoo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.