/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gelling agent!!

Moe_c
09-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Salaam brothers and sister, Ramadan kariiim... i hope ur fit and well.... and can a help a brother whom after knowlegde.

i know this might sound weird but brothers and sister, am trying to find out weather GELLING AGENT is haram to consume... i brother from work said it was haram to consume as it was same as gelantine.. so if anyone couple help.. i would really appriecate it..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
10-01-2007, 11:44 PM
welcome to the forum.
i would advise you to be real careful to find the source.
see below:

What is gelatin/gelatine? Is there any alternative to it?
Gelatin (US spelling) or gelatine (British spelling) (used to make Jell-o and other desserts) is made from the boiled bones, skins and tendons of animals. An alternative substance is called Agar-Agar, which is derived from seaweed. Another is made from the root of the Kuzu. Agar-Agar is sold in noodle-like strands, in powdered form, or in long blocks, and is usually white-ish in color.

Some Kosher gelatins are made with agar-agar, most are not. Some things that are vegan that are replacing gelatin are: guar gum and carrageenan. Only some 'emulsifiers' are vegan.

http://www.ivu.org/faq/gelatine.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.