/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Donner meat...what wrong with it?

salam786
09-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Salaam, I get told by my older sister many times not to consume donner meat (don't think in a religious context but think she meant health wise) but whats actually wrong with it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
09-30-2007, 02:14 PM
This is a new word to many of us.

There actually is no established definition of what donner meat is. It can be something nutrisious and halal or it can be something toxic and haram. the big danger is you do not know what it is, that somebody is calling donner meat.

The quote below is somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But it does show there is no established criteria as to what donner meat is..

But, I believe this can sum it up:

Donner (also donner kebab, donner meat) is a 'meat' served in take-aways across the United Kingdom. It is often characterised by the image of a large slab of unrecognisable greasey brown meat turning slowly on a heated grill, often accompanied by a pair of large sweating onions.

The reasoning behind it's name is unknown, but it is thought that the term 'Donner' is of greek descent, but it's meaning remains a mystery. Others believe that it got it's name from the first ever batch created, which was by a cannibalistic man who mudered his wife (donna) and turned her into a kebab.

Donner meat is a firm favourite with the drunken hoards which amass from various student bars after closing time, for example 'Footage'. Due to it's appealing low price and easy dispensation it goes down well in such situations. The favoured venue for the consumption of this urban delicacy is Abduls. Abduls is a kebab house of legendary status and those who ever visit Manchester must experience the grandure and largesse of this eatery and the finery of it's cuisine.

Although the chemical and genetic make-up of the 'Donner Meat' itself is a mystery to modern man, further studies have shown that it actually does contain meat.

The thought ingredients of donner meat are shown below;

- Lamb (processed from reformed cuts of low grade meat, possibly including offal)
- Chicken (see Lamb)
- Dog (mainly previous RSPCA animals)
- Pigeon (of the city centre variety)
- Rat (of the sewer variety)
- Sawdust (often pine)
- Bone Chippings (possibly from meat or possibly from unfortunate slaughterhouse staff members)

Donner meat is proven to provide absolutely no nutritional value what so ever. It is recommended that you eat it with caution as it contains a lethally high dosage of saturated fat, salt, and other toxic substances.

Trials have shown that obsessive consumption of donner meat with accompanying alcoholic beverages can cause devastating effects to any mortal being.
source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=donner+meat

aadil77
09-30-2007, 02:41 PM
haha^ not funny, i love donner i might get some after taraweh today, its full of fat but its still yum

*~Sofia~*
09-30-2007, 03:08 PM
:sl:

I use to eat donner back in my school days, but after a while, i just grew sooo sick of it... i havn't touched it since!

And after reading what brother Woodrow just posted... i don't think i want to! sounds disgusting lol ewwwwwwwww +o(

w'salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Isambard
09-30-2007, 03:16 PM
It sounds pretty nasty. Thats reason alone to avoid it

Woodrow
09-30-2007, 03:42 PM
The problem I find with donner meat. Is there is not set criteria as to what it is. what is called donner meat in one place can be something different someplace else. There is no one thing that is donner meat. Just because something is called donner meat does not automatically mean it is unhealthy or haram. It is more like you do not know what it is or where it came from.

For genuine traditional donner meat, this is a basic recipes.

2 1/2 - 3 lb. leg of lamb, boned and cut in slices
1 Tbls. black pepper
3 lbs. ground lamb
Lamb fat
1 egg
2-3 Tbls. salt
onions, processed until a liquid-3 cups
1 cup olive oil
1 large tomato

This kebab is difficult to make at home. It is so popular in Turkey, as a sandwich, with pide cubes, a tomato sauce and yogurt (Iskender), or just plain with pilaf.

Remove any bits of skin and bone from the meat. Cut into serving-size slices, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Pound with a meat tenderizer or the edge of a heavy saucepan until 1/8 cm. thick. Trim.

Prepare a marinade of onion juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, and soak meat in the marinade overnight.

Spread over each piece of meat the lamb fat, and ground lamb mixed with an egg. Thread pieces of meat on a long skewer, starting with the larger pieces. Trim the chunk of meat on the skewer and add trimmings to the end of skewer. The tomato is put on the skewer whole at the end.

The chunk of meat is broiled in the 'Doner Kebab' broiler, made specially for the purpose. The electric rotisseries they are selling today work well.

As the meat turns on the spit and is cooked, it is sliced off the sides with a sharp knife.
However, the problem is that what is called donner meat can be any ground meat mixed with spices. Typicaly it is the left over pieces from a butcher shop and all ground together. If it comes from a halal butcher shop, there probably is no problem except for the high fat content. If the meat source is haram the donner meat will be also. I just got done reading about donner meat made from pork.

InToTheRain
09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
- Dog (mainly previous RSPCA animals)
- Pigeon (of the city centre variety)- Rat (of the sewer variety)
- Sawdust (often pine)
- Bone Chippings (possibly from meat or possibly from unfortunate slaughterhouse staff members)
LOL (:X)

Woodrow
09-30-2007, 03:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid
LOL, this is were it lost credibilty ;D
I did say that article was tongue-in-cheek. But the point is, you do not know what meat is in the donner meat, unless you know the original source.

It is very similar to what spam was here in the USA when it was first introduced during WW1, it was any left overs from butcher shops ground together with spices.. Later it became the left over meat from pig farms owned by Hormel.

InToTheRain
09-30-2007, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Typicaly it is the left over pieces from a butcher shop and all ground together. If it comes from a halal butcher shop, there probably is no problem except for the high fat content. If the meat source is haram the donner meat will be also. I just got done reading about donner meat made from pork.
Lamb (processed from reformed cuts of low grade meat, possibly including offal)
- Chicken (see Lamb)
They make chicken nuggets in more or less the same way, using offal and stuff :skeleton:

Pk_#2
09-30-2007, 07:42 PM
quit it! :o|

Woodrow honestly, that post made me ill, *throws up*

Ummah
09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
im ashamed to admit it.....but i still love donner...juicy with loads of yoghurt and salad and chilli sauce on it.....and loadssss of pickled chillis on top.

yummmmmm

islamirama
09-30-2007, 09:04 PM
so in other words, donner meat is basically left over junk from the normal meat that the ppl are selling rather than trashing as they used to, and the not so bright public is buying it like a new fad. i guess those who who run to try out anything new will end up killing themselves one of these days....maybe less stupid ppl in the world?

NoName55
09-30-2007, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
quit it! :o|

Woodrow honestly, that post made me ill, *throws up*
don't worry as its not quite true

even though recipe calls for leg of lamb, I spent a week in a Turkish eatery in 1987 and saw it was scrapings (including fat, gristle, sinew etc.) from whole lamb minus lean parts of leg & shoulders, which ar used for shish kebabs. however, there were no dog, cat or mouse in sight

PS. lean leg mince refuses to stick together to form the shape of donner without adding binding material (fat and gristle works)

Md Mashud
09-30-2007, 09:41 PM
I would not trust urbandictionary for any sources - Pidgeons/rats/dogs are NOT In doner meat...

Anyway, as for why people discourage it - simply - it has a heck of a lot of fat in it. More so than any Mcdonald meal you could have!

NoName55
09-30-2007, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud
I would not trust urbandictionary for any sources - Pidgeons/rats/dogs are NOT In doner meat...

Anyway, as for why people discourage it - simply - it has a heck of a lot of fat in it. More so than any Mcdonald meal you could have!
except for the fact that Mcdonald is HARAM, without any doubt.

I cannot see any possible reason for having a Mcdonalds meal

Md Mashud
09-30-2007, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
except for the fact that Mcdonald is HARAM, without any doubt.

I cannot see any possible reason for having a Mcdonalds meal
Depends what you order.

NoName55
09-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Depends what you order.
Nonsense!

Md Mashud
09-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Nonsense!
-_-, next thing your going to tell me Nando's is haram ^o)

NoName55
09-30-2007, 10:04 PM
-_-, next thing your going to tell me Nando's is haram ^o)
nope! I am rather tired of fakers running amock here. whatever rocks your boat do it (besides, I don't know who or what Nando's is).

I my self will not eat from same kitchen as where pork is prepared in the same kitchen by the same person, using the same utensils/grills/fats etc.

snakelegs
09-30-2007, 10:19 PM
;D ;D ;D
when i saw the subject line of this thread, the first thing i thought of was the famous donner party, who people on their way west who got stuck in the mountains (this was during the 1800's) and got so desperate, they eventually resorted to cannibalism. i'd never heard of donner meat, so i thought it was a euphemism for human beings!

YusufNoor
09-30-2007, 10:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
;D ;D ;D
when i saw the subject line of this thread, the first thing i thought of was the famous donner party, who people on their way west who got stuck in the mountains (this was during the 1800's) and got so desperate, they eventually resorted to cannibalism. i'd never heard of donner meat, so i thought it was a euphemism for human beings!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

that's EXACTLY what i was thinking!

:giggling:

think there's a connection???

:uuh:

:w:

NoName55
09-30-2007, 10:41 PM
is it not the kuffaar who are supposed to attribute rubbish to Islaam?
implying that Muslims are cannibals or selling human flesh is not very funny just sickening attempt to suck-up

snakelegs
09-30-2007, 10:48 PM
is it not the kuffaar who are supposed to attribute rubbish to Islaam?
implying that Muslims are cannibals or selling human flesh is not very funny just sickening attempt to suck-up
huh? i wasn't connecting cannibalism to muslims in any way. merely sharing what i thought of when i saw the words "donner meat".
i'm totally confused by your post.

NoName55
09-30-2007, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
huh? i wasn't connecting cannibalism to muslims in any way. merely sharing what i thought of when i saw the words "donner meat".
I'm totally confused by your post.
I would have quoted you had I been referring to your post,

It was one immediately above mine

format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
:eek: :eek: :eek:

that's EXACTLY what i was thinking!

:giggling:

think there's a connection???

:uuh:

snakelegs
09-30-2007, 10:54 PM
ok.
i think the connection was to the fact that donner meat can apparently be any kind of meat they throw in.

Woodrow
09-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Let us try to get back on topic. The original question was is donner meat unhealthy.

I believe that the replies they is a concensus that there is not well defined criteria as to what donner meat is in the UK. The only agreement seems to be is it is ground meat mixed with spices.

So it would seem that it could be either health or unhealthy depending on what meat is used to make it.

Do your homework and find out what it is at the location you plan to buy it.

we are not getting anyplace by letting arguments interfere with the topic.

NoName55
09-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Let us try to get back on topic. The original question was is donner meat unhealthy.

we are not getting anyplace by letting arguments interfere with the topic.
:sl:

I am sorry and I apologise, but when some people inject subliminal messages in posts I can't stop my self from saying something

Pk_#2
10-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Nonsense!
Abit late but i agree with NoName55 :muddlehea

chacha_jalebi
10-01-2007, 04:12 PM
psssssh

jus buy a doner from kebabish and its 100% meat:D

Pk_#2
10-01-2007, 04:17 PM
whose meat? :-\ what's meat? :ooh:

Ahh ma other post someone edit it or delete it.

piXie
10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah
im ashamed to admit it.....but i still love donner...juicy with loads of yoghurt and salad and chilli sauce on it.....and loadssss of pickled chillis on top.

yummmmmm
My uncle was told by his friend, "brother, if u knew what they put in there, u wouldn't ever wanna eat it"

the "juicy" that u are refering to could very well be the boogies from the left over goats nose, n the 'fat' from their crushed and minced up wobbly intestines, plus tiny rat n dog parts to create this wonderful delicacy.

its no wonder it smells so 'weird' even with all the sauces n chillies....

Oh boy, i think there really is some grossy truth in uncle woody's post. :cry:

especially when iv seen people who eat it on a regular basis getting big fat red pimples on their face. must be the various toXinssssssss :playing:

PS: killed my appetite nicely, now i can stop thinkin abt food during my fast :p

chacha_jalebi
10-01-2007, 04:35 PM
^ so its true?

erm can we eat a goats nose:p na lol i like doner like once a while, but if it got a dog n rat n all weirdo animal bits, then allow that!

id rather have a bowl of coco pops :embarrass :D

1way2happiness
10-01-2007, 05:41 PM
i doubt its got dog and rat in it but i kno its not good for ya
hehe but tasty!

Woodrow
10-01-2007, 06:20 PM
reading this makes me see much similarity between donner and what we call potted meat here in the states. the ingredients label will usually read something like this:

Primarily animal by-products derived from any or all of the following: Beef, Fowl, pork, and assorted spices. water added for consistancy.

Pk_#2
10-01-2007, 06:41 PM
What is a fowl? an owl?

Potted meat sounded like a 'pile of poo' when i first read it.

Kittygyal
10-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Salamualikum.
FOR HEAVEN SAKE!!

Donner meat is fatty man unless u wana be a fat blob!

amille40
10-01-2007, 06:57 PM
reading this makes me see much similarity between donner and what we call potted meat here in the states. the ingredients label will usually read something like this:

Primarily animal by-products derived from any or all of the following: Beef, Fowl, pork, and assorted spices. water added for consistancy.

I was thinking the same thing about potted meat myself. Its one of those things I would never eat having read books like The Jungle.

You know something has to be good when its a mix of poultry and dark meats ;)

Woodrow
10-01-2007, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
What is a fowl? an owl?

Potted meat sounded like a 'pile of poo' when i first read it.
fowl are any dometicated bird raised for food. Most common Chicken, Turkey and duck

Pk_#2
10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
fowl are any dometicated bird raised for food. Most common Chicken, Turkey and duck
Oh :embarrass jazakAllah, mm chicken turkey is duck halal :-\

Nah Snowy dun really like dah stuff buh yeah wan be a blob! :D Only kiddin..

IbnAbdulHakim
10-01-2007, 07:17 PM

BUT IT TASTES NICE EH :O

*thinks about mile ends Real Taste* :D dats the stuff brO!!

InToTheRain
10-01-2007, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Salamualikum.
FOR HEAVEN SAKE!!

Donner meat is fatty man unless u wana be a fat blob!
^ Words of wisdom :thumbs_up ;D

Kittygyal
10-01-2007, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid
^ Words of wisdom :thumbs_up ;D
But it's true init.

Every next man you see in hand has a portion bag full of fish 'N chips or doner. Subhan'Allaah nowadays soo many people you see in fatty shops 'All them Kabab Ranch., KFC etc' sick man sick!

Couple of years time everyones bellies will be poppin out like fat blobs :zip: Subhan'Allaah..

Don't see much people eating fruit and stuff or buying fruit always crisps,candies, fizzy pop. TOO MUCH FAT IN THIS WORLD!!

wana be fat then carry on munching all this horrid food!

it's true man i used to be love in this stuff and finished it all when i used to play soccer and stuff it's all gone down the drain it's horrid makes me sick when someone eats stuff that has fat in it! YUCK! FAT BLOBS

chacha_jalebi
10-01-2007, 10:24 PM
^ a hadiths... "Allah (swt) does not look at your outside, only whats in your inside"

maybe we should do the same, lol and fat sound rude call them erm well fed :D or dont cal em anythin

lol, neway bak on topic

i doubt doner lol, so i leavin now:( unless some one can make the doubt go away, come on do it, do it do it:D

Al-Zaara
10-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Selam aleykum,

I love döner, I won't deny it. Here in Finland, you can buy it and the meat is either beef or lamb, or a mixture of both.

I dunno how reliable the source you gave is, brother Woodrow, but maybe it is like that in the UK or the US. Also, people come saying lots of stuff... Usually it's just rubbish. But regarding the fat, one has to be more serious of.

One thing here in Finland, where mostly Kurds open Kebab shops, there has been rumoured at some places, that the meat might be pork/swine or not halal-made, when it says halal. So after further investigation, most Muslims here know now where it is OK to go and where not, elhamdulillah.

But again, in some places it turned out to be true and others simply not. The power of rumours.

I went to Germany and their döners were awesome!! Nothing like here in Finland. It is most certain that there's different preperation for different people/countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6...ltural_Effects

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/d...onerKebap.html

In the end, maybe it is better to simply refrain, but it is everybody's own choice.

Selam aleykum.

north_malaysian
10-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Talking about Kebab.....

[if you fast, don't click on the link, pic of food linked..]

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/10...a5bfb1.jpg?v=0

Kyros Kebab is the most popular Kebab restaurants/cafe in Malaysia. It's delicious (as you can see the sheep itself is endorsing it)

nocturne
10-02-2007, 08:20 AM
You should not have posted that pic, there is still 3 hours to go before i break my fast.....:rolleyes:

Btw, with regards to McDonalds, i am sure if its not halal, then nothing should be eaten from there.

But here in South-East ASIA (malaysia, singapore), McDonalds is halal and boy the food is pretty good:p

Btw, can kyros kebab be found in J.B and how much does it cost?

syilla
10-02-2007, 09:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturne
You should not have posted that pic, there is still 3 hours to go before i break my fast.....:rolleyes:

Btw, with regards to McDonalds, i am sure if its not halal, then nothing should be eaten from there.

But here in South-East ASIA (malaysia, singapore), McDonalds is halal and boy the food is pretty good:p

so sorry...no in JB http://www.kyroskebab.com.my/outlet_location.html

Anyway back to the topic. I never heard of donner meat :rolleyes:

Al-Zaara
10-02-2007, 09:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla

Anyway back to the topic. I never heard of donner meat :rolleyes:
Why do people say donner? Sounds ridicilous. It's döner. Not even hard to pronounce. :-\

syilla
10-02-2007, 09:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Why do people say donner? Sounds ridicilous. It's döner. Not even hard to pronounce. :-\
how to pronounce that :embarrass

never learnt french :embarrass

IbnAbdulHakim
10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
^ "dow (like dough) nar (like nar lol) Doww-nar

doner !!

rozeena
10-02-2007, 10:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ "dow (like dough) nar (like nar lol) Doww-nar

doner !!
lol! :giggling:

Al-Zaara
10-02-2007, 10:09 AM
how to pronounce that :embarrass

never learnt french :embarrass
LOL! Ce n'est pas français, mon ami. :p

Döner is Turkish... Umm.. Let me try to explain then. :playing:

D = like in dad,

ö = http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1290/oe1.wav (the second example),

n = no

e = endless

r = a roled r...

chacha_jalebi
10-02-2007, 12:07 PM
doner:p

doh ne rrr

wen i was small i didnt know what it was called, so i used to call it doughnut kebab :p

guyabano
10-02-2007, 12:14 PM

D = like in dad,

ö = http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1290/oe1.wav (the second example),

n = no

e = endless

r = a roled r...
Germans also say 'Döner' !

I saw once on Tv how they make Döner Sticks. It's all Halal Meat slices, but the point where I got confused was, that they also put some Groundmeat with some fat. They said, it's the fat which gives the taste. Every butcher will tell you it is true, because pure muscle meat is tasteless.
But does that now mean, that Döner is no longer suitable for muslims because of the Groundmeat?

Al-Zaara
10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
Germans also say 'Döner' !
Yes, no surprise to me, as there are so many Turks there making sure the word preserves. :D (and they've got the letter ö in their alphabet, so it's not hard for them)

Ebtisweetsam
10-02-2007, 01:26 PM
As long as its from a Halal (trusted) Butcher, Im sure Doner kebabs are ok.... its like sausages, all the leftover junk is put into them.
The other day we ordered a Doner family meal, and the next day, the leftovers were stuck together like glue.... there was that much fat!
But the meal was still yummy!:D

syilla
10-03-2007, 12:53 AM

D = like in dad,

n = no

e = endless

r = a roled r...
sounds like danir to me :D :okay: :embarrass

north_malaysian
10-03-2007, 06:56 AM
sounds like danir to me :D :okay: :embarrass
In Malaysian spelling it sounds like "Doe-nerr"

north_malaysian
10-03-2007, 07:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturne

As the link syilla gave here ... sadly there is no Kyros Kebab in JB...

But, if you go to KL... you should try those Kebab, they have lamb, beef and chicken kebab.... and there were fish and vegetarian kebab too during promotions sometime.... you can mixed the kebab too...

In KL, you can find it in Sogo (Under Ground Level) or Alpha Angle (Wangsa Maju)... but it tastes extremely yummy!!!

how much it cost ... I dont remember....:p

Ourra-Tul-'Ain
10-04-2007, 10:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Talking about Kebab.....

[if you fast, don't click on the link, pic of food linked..]

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/10...a5bfb1.jpg?v=0

Kyros Kebab is the most popular Kebab restaurants/cafe in Malaysia. It's delicious (as you can see the sheep itself is endorsing it)
lol @ the picture 'simply delicious' more like simply disgusting.......i HATE donner kabab.it looks bad n smells bad yuk.... i feel bad saying that about food:X kinda

smile
10-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't care what you ppl are saying about doner because it is just delicions!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.