/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Language check

ABWAN
09-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Just a suggestion:

Would it be possible to impose some rules on the language being used? I am not just talking about some offensive words. I understand many people here are from UK. But we should understand we post messages for people to *read and understand* and not to make the job of the reader hard. What is the point in showing off our creative skills in the way we type! Sometimes its darn confusing to figure out even what language it is! Some english words being used here sound like indonesian!!!

So my request to mods and admin is to either impose some rules and warn people or add language filters for often used words so that it makes sense.

Jazak'Allah khayran.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
09-14-2005, 06:08 PM
:sl:

What kind of language do you mean exactly? 'Txt spk' which no one in their right mind can understand? Or overly complicated language? Or both? :)

ABWAN
09-14-2005, 06:25 PM
I meant british slang words (or any slang word for that matter) basically. And then there are some basic words which are intentionally misspelt.

minaz
09-14-2005, 07:00 PM
wts ur prob wid da way I'z spk, we aitn all like u'z pplz ooo cum frm rich folk and stuff, aitn my faults dat me famly on da dole - gets me like!?!
Lol yeah I know what you mean Abwan it really annoys me time to time - lets start a campaign :p - gets me like!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
09-14-2005, 07:22 PM
It'll be hard to have an automated system that replaces phrases, but I suppose there could be a rule such as 'no slang'.

That'd eliminate all the comic potential for gangsta talk though. Shame.

TEH
09-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Theres no slang allowed on maniac muslim, though mr maniac doesnt mind the odd instance of it...

:p

- Qatada -
09-14-2005, 07:32 PM
:sl: warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

da rzn y ppz do it iz cz iss quika 2 type n ery1z use2it. and mos of da ppl undastand it (lyk 4rm da youth) buh mos olda ppl dn get it.. i tink iss gt sutin 2 do wit respekt fo da youth cz 2b hones mos ppl mite b goin on desi forumz ini [even tho dey mesd up wit fitnah n dat] and dey use2 dat n ery1 wanz respekt, n da eazias way of getin respekt on forumz iz by typin lyk dis cz derz nthin els u can do on forumz xept type lol :p

the reason why people do it is because it is quicker to type and everyone is used to it. and most of the people understand it (like from the youth) but most older people don't get it.. i think its got something to do with respect for the youth because to be honest most people might be going on desi forums [even though the messed up with fitnah] and they used to that and everyone wants respect, and the easiest way of getting respect on forums is by typing like this because there is nothin else you can do on forums except type lol.

^^^

you see how much more space the proper english took? :p

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

minaz
09-14-2005, 07:38 PM
see how much pleasant and lady like (:p) the proper english looks

Muezzin
09-14-2005, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akhee
:sl: warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

da rzn y ppz do it iz cz iss quika 2 type n ery1z use2it. and mos of da ppl undastand it (lyk 4rm da youth) buh mos olda ppl dn get it.. i tink iss gt sutin 2 do wit respekt fo da youth cz 2b hones mos ppl mite b goin on desi forumz ini [even tho dey mesd up wit fitnah n dat] and dey use2 dat n ery1 wanz respekt, n da eazias way of getin respekt on forumz iz by typin lyk dis cz derz nthin els u can do on forumz xept type lol :p
Thank goodness for the translation:

the reason why people do it is because it is quicker to type and everyone is used to it. and most of the people understand it (like from the youth) but most older people don't get it..
True, but I'm one of the 'youth' and I still can't fathom the stuff. I'm used to reading proper English, not this txt palarva. I can't be doing with this man. I mean, they're called 'Text books' not 'txt bks' :p

i think its got something to do with respect for the youth because to be honest most people might be going on desi forums [even though the messed up with fitnah] and they used to that and everyone wants respect, and the easiest way of getting respect on forums is by typing like this because there is nothin else you can do on forums except type lol.
You're probably right.

So does typing 'loooolz' gain instant cred or what? :p

^^^

you see how much more space the proper english took? :p

Yep. But crucially, everyone can understand it. What's the point in talking if no one can understand what you're saying? ;)

ABWAN
09-14-2005, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
wts ur prob wid da way I'z spk, we aitn all like u'z pplz ooo cum frm rich folk and stuff, aitn my faults dat me famly on da dole - gets me like!?!
Lol yeah I know what you mean Abwan it really annoys me time to time - lets start a campaign :p - gets me like!
Well my point is NOT everyone who comes to this forum is aware of a british or an american slang or even carribean slang word. So if this forum is really meant for instructional purpose, let us make sure people from other countries could make out what we are discussing about.

Teh, I think with phpbb there is a way for the admin to either remove a word or replace it with something else. So I guess it can be done with VBulletin as well.

- Qatada -
09-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Thank goodness for the translation:

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
True, but I'm one of the 'youth' and I still can't fathom the stuff. I'm used to reading proper English, not this txt palarva. I can't be doing with this man. I mean, they're called 'Text books' not 'txt bks' :p
lol see, try sayin the word 'txt bks' and the sound would be the same :p

(keep in mind the leter 'x' sounds like 'eks'

format_quote Originally Posted by muezzin
You're probably right.

So does typing 'loooolz' gain instant cred or what? :p
in a desi forum it proli (probablly) would ;)

wasalam o alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

ABWAN
09-14-2005, 07:53 PM
i think its got something to do with respect for the youth because to be honest most people might be going on desi forums [even though the messed up with fitnah] and they used to that and everyone wants respect, and the easiest way of getting respect on forums is by typing like this because there is nothin else you can do on forums except type lol.
^^^ maybe true for a desi forum. I would assume its not so for an islamic forum. People often tend to overuse slang words to the extent that it hardly makes any sense. what is the point of posting then!

TEH
09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ABWAN
Well my point is NOT everyone who comes to this forum is aware of a british or an american slang or even carribean slang word. So if this forum is really meant for instructional purpose, let us make sure people from other countries could make out what we are discussing about.

Teh, I think with phpbb there is a way for the admin to either remove a word or replace it with something else. So I guess it can be done with VBulletin as well.
Nope, he says no slang, and people respect that...

:)

arabian
09-14-2005, 08:49 PM
You jokers hahaha :P

mujahedeen2087
09-14-2005, 10:29 PM
warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

da rzn y ppz do it iz cz iss quika 2 type n ery1z use2it. and mos of da ppl undastand it (lyk 4rm da youth) buh mos olda ppl dn get it.. i tink iss gt sutin 2 do wit respekt fo da youth cz 2b hones mos ppl mite b goin on desi forumz ini [even tho dey mesd up wit fitnah n dat] and dey use2 dat n ery1 wanz respekt, n da eazias way of getin respekt on forumz iz by typin lyk dis cz derz nthin els u can do on forumz xept type lol

the reason why people do it is because it is quicker to type and everyone is used to it. and most of the people understand it (like from the youth) but most older people don't get it.. i think its got something to do with respect for the youth because to be honest most people might be going on desi forums [even though the messed up with fitnah] and they used to that and everyone wants respect, and the easiest way of getting respect on forums is by typing like this because there is nothin else you can do on forums except type lol.

^^^

you see how much more space the proper english took?

i see that it takes more space but not much. the slang is difficult to read and turns me off from reading it, :)

Zuko
09-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Sometimes I get fed up with typing perfect, and I have to type 'slang' or whatever you call it.

I don't think it should be a big issue, so long as others can understand what you're saying.

sherbie cola
09-16-2005, 12:40 PM
its a good idea to have some basic rules

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.