/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quran and wudhu

lmaestro
10-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Not sure this should be in the Fiqh section,but whats the rule on wudhu when reading/touching the quran.And more importantly does the rule apply to quran in electronic form?(on pdas/phones.)I heard that if u want to read the quran with the intention of zikir no wudhu is required.is it true

thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Silver Pearl
10-09-2007, 07:41 AM
:wasalamex

Touching the Qur'an physically is not permissible without wudhu, Imaam Shafi'ee, Imaam Abu Hanifa, Imaam Malik and Imaam Ahmed Ibn Hanbal (see their madhaab) and Ibn Taymiya [Al-Fataawa Al-Kubra / 1.280] (May Allaah be pleased with them) were all of this opinion.

Imaam Ibn Qudama (May Allaah be pleased with him) stated that this was a position that there was no disagreement amongst the scholars [Al-Mughnee / 1.99].

Amongst the ahadeeth used as evidence is: "Do not touch the Qur’an unless you are in a state of purity.” (related by Imaam Malik in his Muwatta and authenticated by Imaam Nawawi).

Wa Allaahu'3llaam.

snakelegs
10-09-2007, 08:00 AM
does this apply only if it is in arabic?

north_malaysian
10-09-2007, 08:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
does this apply only if it is in arabic?
my religious teachers told me that Qur'an with translations are not considered as Holy as the 100% Koranic words only Qu'ran.. so ablution (wudhu') is not needed.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
10-09-2007, 08:15 AM
thanks - that's what i thought.

lmaestro
10-09-2007, 09:41 AM
even in arabic electronic form?

Camomilla
10-09-2007, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lmaestro
even in arabic electronic form?
:sl:
do you mean, like listening Quran on mp3-player (or the computer)?

lmaestro
10-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Reading.Like on the PC and Phones with software

snakelegs
10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
of course, i don't know the answer, but if you are reading it on a PC, you are not touching it.

NYCmuslim
10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
If this is the case then how can non-muslims read the Quran? Even in the case of the original arabic Quran, how can arab non-muslims read the Quran if they dont know how to do wudhu? The non-muslims would argue that why should they wash their hands and face, etc. just to read a book? To me, I dont think its necessary to do wudhu to touch or read the Quran. As long as the person is not in the state of nejis, it should be ok.

Also

"Do not touch the Qur’an unless you are in a state of purity.”
I believe this refers to the state of mental and spiritual purity rather than physical.

Allah knows best.

Peace be unto you all

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.