/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan closings

glo
10-10-2007, 07:04 PM
I just wanted to take the opportunity to say a big thank you to the mods for clowing certain sections for the duration of Ramadan.

I must be honest that I didn't think it was a particularly good idea at the time ... but it has been a real joy not to have those endless circular arguments going on, which seem to dominate certain areas ...

Such peace!!! :statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Greetings.
Your always the first one :X

Anywho yes mods/admins shukran for them being closed much appreciated and by having certain thread closed (even i may not participate much in *ahem*) it saved me time in doing more Ibadah.

So after Eid can we have them open please :)? *Or maybe not*

May Allaah Guide you all Amin

Ma'assalama

Na7lah
10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Shukran :)
hope they're reoppened on Eid

Anwarica
10-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I was unhappy by the closings at the beginning, but recently I appreciated that. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*~Sofia~*
10-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Salams,

I didn't even miss the closures.. maybe its because i hardly participate in them..i doubt i'll even recognise the re-opening! :lol:

w'salam

IbnAbdulHakim
10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
*puts on refutation cap*

bring it on :shade:

sevgi
10-11-2007, 11:57 AM
i feel that lately the forum has become really boring...:zip:

theres like noone on anymore...they better come back when the closings reopen...

i want to hurt people again:Evil:

Kittygyal
10-11-2007, 12:28 PM
:sl:

i want to hurt people again
^ I shall cry with little little tears falling down my cheeks... :cry:

May Allaah Guide you. Amin

Ma'assalama

*~Sofia~*
10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
i feel that lately the forum has become really boring...:zip:

theres like noone on anymore...they better come back when the closings reopen...

i want to hurt people again:Evil:
^ ;D i think everyone is making the most of the blessed month sis, that's why not alot of members are online these days.. but i think once that Ramadhan is gone :( it will become much more lively :D

w'salam

IbnAbdulHakim
10-11-2007, 01:32 PM
lol i think its only people who are forced to sit in front of computers (some call this work) that really do come online a lot during ramadan.

*sigh* what boredom does to people!!

*~Sofia~*
10-11-2007, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
lol i think its only people who are forced to sit in front of computers (some call this work) that really do come online a lot during ramadan.

^ :lol: it's not so bad, i like comin on here..i've been addicted since i've joined! can't help but come and see whats new..and it's beneficial too :D so it's all gud :smile:

w'salam

IbnAbdulHakim
10-11-2007, 01:43 PM
^ yeah mashaAllah its good, im grateful for this website in many ways. Alhamdulillah :)

Kittygyal
10-11-2007, 02:32 PM

'as-salāmu 'alaykum

I would say its good actually to sit in a small office and then be able to route around on LI, kinda a shame if boss comes in :zip:

May Allaah guide you. Amin

'alaykumu s-salām

snakelegs
10-11-2007, 09:04 PM
i wonder if the mods are dreading what may be a "feeding frenzy" when those sections are re-opened?

aamirsaab
10-11-2007, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i wonder if the mods are dreading what may be a "feeding frenzy" when those sections are re-opened?
Well, I talked with muhammad today at the mosque; the threads will continue to be locked atleast until Eid is over.

sevgi
10-12-2007, 04:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal

^ I shall cry with little little tears falling down my cheeks... :cry:

May Allaah Guide you. Amin

Ma'assalama
you know that i was joking right sis???

i dnt believe that i have a history of hurting people on this forum...

May Allah guide all of us.

sevgi
10-12-2007, 04:23 AM

so true bro...

im only on throughout coz i always have essays and research papers to get done...and this is the best and most halal procrastination i know of...

youtube videos kill my download limit:)

sevgi
10-12-2007, 04:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Well, I talked with muhammad today at the mosque; the threads will continue to be locked atleast until Eid is over.
its so weird to think that u guys are actually alive...like...talk to eachother nd stuf...

:peace: :coolalien

SirZubair
10-12-2007, 04:50 AM
^ yeah mashaAllah its good, im grateful for this website in many ways. Alhamdulillah :)
Its no secret that i am disliked by a lot of people on this forum ( bite me ) and that i dislike many people,... actually, i don't dislike too many people here, i dislike a lot of policies, rules and all that garbage.

But,.. i am glad i got to get to know people such as Yourself, Woody, Talha, Zak,... there are too many to name, so i'll stop.

Oh wait, i better mention 'H4run' before he sends me a message and threatens to 'punch' me again.. :mmokay:

NoName55
10-12-2007, 05:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
I don't know about mods but I absolutley hate those 2 forums namely world affairs and comparative (dang trolls' charter, license to be stupid and rush/overload on poor old google). wa salaam

snakelegs
10-12-2007, 05:47 AM
i must say, i haven't really missed either.

glo
10-12-2007, 06:18 AM
I certainly haven't missed the World Affairs section.

I haven't missed those endless circular arguments in the Comparative Religions section either ... although I would love to see more meaningful religious discussions.The problem with religious discussions are, that all parties need to enter into it with the same attitude and mindset.
My reasons for joining tend to be:
  1. To understand the faith of others
  2. To explain my own faith

More often than not, though, I see people trying to convince each other rather than listen to each other.
I also see people asking questions about a faith and then not listening to the answer.
I see people refusing point blank to hear what the other is saying, and thereby repeating the same statements over and over again ...

It is very frustrating. :uhwhat

I think mods need to decide whether the Comparative Religions section is there for members of different faith to share and compare their beliefs on an equal footing, or whether it is actually a dawah section, that aims to see Islam 'have the upper hand'...
Personally, I think it should be the first, because for the purpose of the latter there is the Refutation section.

I think learning about each others faith is paramount to peace and harmony, so I would love to see the Comparatvie Religions section become more peaceful, respectful and tolerant.
How to do that, I don't know ... over to the mods! ;D

Peace

Kittygyal
10-12-2007, 07:29 AM
you know that i was joking right sis???

i dnt believe that i have a history of hurting people on this forum...

May Allah guide all of us.
I was beind sarcastic silly gyal :p
Don't worry we get hurt now and then but we make up and forgive and maybe a teeny weeny forget :giggling:

format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
But,.. i am glad i got to get to know people such as Yourself, Woody, Talha, Zak,... there are too many to name, so i'll stop.
I see yet not my name on thee list :mmokay:

May God guide you. Amin

Ma'assalama

aamirsaab
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
its so weird to think that u guys are actually alive...like...talk to eachother nd stuf...

:peace: :coolalien
LOL. I only get to talk with muhammad (and muezzin) since they both live in leicester. The latter lives in the same house as me, so contact is not much of a problem. :D

format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
I don't know about mods but I absolutley hate those 2 forums namely world affairs and comparative (dang trolls' charter, license to be stupid and rush/overload on poor old google). wa salaam
I hate W/A even more...mainly cus I have to moderate it! It's not easy and it is certainly not fun.

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
[snip]
More often than not, though, I see people trying to convince each other rather than listen to each other.
I also see people asking questions about a faith and then not listening to the answer.
I see people refusing point blank to hear what the other is saying, and thereby repeating the same statements over and over again ...

Agree completely.

I think mods need to decide whether the Comparative Religions section is there for members of different faith to share and compare their beliefs on an equal footing, or whether it is actually a dawah section, that aims to see Islam 'have the upper hand'...
Personally, I think it should be the first, because for the purpose of the latter there is the Refutation section.
I've spoken about this in the mods forum previously. Still haven't received a proper answer...:(

I think learning about each others faith is paramount to peace and harmony, so I would love to see the Comparatvie Religions section become more peaceful, respectful and tolerant.
Completely agree.

Peace
Nooooo that means more work for us! :giggling:

sevgi
10-12-2007, 10:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I certainly haven't missed the World Affairs section.

I haven't missed those endless circular arguments in the Comparative Religions section either ... although I would love to see more meaningful religious discussions.The problem with religious discussions are, that all parties need to enter into it with the same attitude and mindset.
My reasons for joining tend to be:
  1. To understand the faith of others
  2. To explain my own faith

Peace
BINGO!
TEN POINTS GLO!

and aamirsaab...it was weird enuf to think that u guys actually live...now u guys like live together...:eek:

back on topic...yeah...world affairs...comparitive religion...

i think listening is a problem...when people read something..especially if they paranoid or vulnerable already, they interpret as they like...its not so much a problem with listening,,,it is grasping the actual idea...

the only way they can optimise their undrstanding of the person infron of them is via smileys and emoticons...which are vague and somewhat discriminative...

eg):hiding: can mean so many things...it depends on context, tone, syntax...

its crazy really.

aamirsaab..u dnt have to worry i think...ure like one of the cooler mods.:hiding:

excuse my rambling.
peace.

ahsan28
10-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Whats going on :(

World affairs section should be re-opened ASP, since some of us can't live w/o posting about zionists :(

Temp closing of the section led me to post in health section during the month and it appears that I myself have become a patient :(

SirZubair
10-12-2007, 10:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
I see yet not my name on thee list :mmokay:

May God guide you. Amin

Ma'assalama
I was mentioning the people that i am GLAD to have gotten to know...

;D

tomtomsmom
10-12-2007, 02:48 PM
There is a show here called "Kid Nation"
It is a show about a bunch of kids building a town. The last episode they faced religion. As a town the kids came together to worship though they all had different religions. And they did it PEACEFULLY!!!!!! If children can figure it out why can't adults. Kids GET IT!!!!!!! It is very sad that their adult counterparts can't.

shible
10-12-2007, 03:03 PM

The Mods were doing a tereffic job and it is really a good long vision to close some of those Forums.

I thought i have broken a few rules of this forum. But it was not done purposly

I Apologize to the Mods and the members who felt a bit uneasy.

My faults were

dropping two threads in General section

1) Islam in Europe

2) More US Hispanics Drawn to Islam

which were more likely to be seen on World Affairs.

And which made some hot discussions on the Forum during this Ramadhan.

I shall refrain myself hereafter from doing such things to lift the Forum's rules

Insha Allah once the closed forums are reopened

I shall bring this to the mods attention to move them to World Affairs

:w:

ISLAMASWEENEY
10-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Yes Especilly World Affairs I Always Lose My Temper On That I Fell More Relaxed Now.

shible
10-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks Bro Woodrow,

Fishman
10-12-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm glad world affairs is gone, but I wish comparative religion was back. If people didn't do any arguing there it would be a really good place. The best way to learn about a faith is from its followers, wouldn't you agree?
:w:

snakelegs
10-12-2007, 07:18 PM
once in a while i like world affairs - sometimes i like to post on a topic so i can see what others think about it. for example - i like to get feedback from pakistanis re: pakistan. also, i do learn there now and then. it's a good resource - at least potentially - since we have members all over the world. it's much better to hear from real people actually living in a country than just to read the news.
comparative religion is one of those Great Ideas with Good Potential.
but i've learned there too - mostly about christianity, which i knew very little about before i came here. i've also learned more about judaism.
for almost a year now, i read very little in that section - tho i always check out rav's posts and consider him a valuable resource. (hope he comes back).
it is a real challenge for muslims and christians who both think that they follow The One True Religion to have a respectful dialogue. this being the case, it ofter sinks in to "mine is better than yours".
and when it's not that, it is atheists telling us poor idiots how very foolish we are to believe in things that don't fill a test tube.
since this is an islamic forum, i don't think christians should be allowed to promote their religion. our long time christian members respect that rule and obey it, but we've had a couple of members who were allowed to preach on and on and on and on some more, and even say that islam is from satan. (i think those 2 members have finally given up) and even i found that very offensive and most inappropriate for an islamic forum.
and atheists do way too much proselytizing too - wowie zowie, they are busy people!
but as i said before, i haven't missed either one. but it was good to get some of that stuff off my chest.

Muhammad
10-14-2007, 12:01 PM
:sl: and Greetings,

We will be opening the sections quite soon, God-Willing. It has been interesting to read your comments and I am sure we all agree about maintaining a peaceful and civilised environment in all parts of the forum. Hopefully we can take steps to make the World Affairs and Comparative Religion sections more like we want them to be, and, God-Willing, we can also utilise some of that peace and self-control which we learnt over Ramadan to help achieve this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.