/* */

PDA

View Full Version : London Open College

Ummu Sufyaan
10-15-2007, 07:58 AM
:sl:
just in case anyone is interested, afew months ago wrote to London Open college, inquiring about their shariah course.
basically i wrote to them, asking when the term dates are, and the costs of the course.
This was the reply.
Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh,

Dear sister,

Welcome to London Open College. I pray to Allah the Almighty that you are in the best of iman and health

London Open College (LOC) is incorporated independently as an Islamic Distance Learning Institution. LOC is not funded or controlled by any government and it is not a British HE/FE University/College nor does it award British qualifications. LOC is a private Islamic Distance Learning Institution.

The courses we offer are distance learning courses where we send you the study materials and you study on your own, with the help of your tutor. The tutors will have office hours in order to receive the students’ calls. You can also use your personalised page on our website to contact the tutor in writing and also other students. All written work is submitted and received through the net. Hence student needs to have a PC and internet access service.

In distance learning, students are not required to attend lectures on campus. All works including registration, module enrolment, examination and tutors contact are done through the internet.

Once being an admitted student, a personal account will be created for you where you can log in from the website portal. This account will include all needed facilities relating to the study. You will enjoy a happy distance-learning experience with LOC.

A levels (any grade) are required if you intend to join the main programme (Certificate, Diploma or Bachelors Degree).

There are no conditions for qualifications required to join the open programme.

If you join the open programme and successfully pass 6 modules in your first year, you can transfer your registration to any of the 3 main programmes.

You can take the course over a period of time that suites you most. If for certain time you feel that you need to take time out, you can do that.

The admission fee is £35. This is a one –off payment. Once admitted we will send you an enrolment invitation where you will be invited to enrol in the courses we offer. The next semester (Autumn 07) will start on 15 October 2007. The enrolment fees are £75 per module.

You can register through this link "Register with LOC now" in the site homepage. A confirmation mail will be sent to your email where you have to confirm to proceed with your registration. This will also include the payment details you may need to make your payment.

The Certificate programme includes 12 modules, the Diploma includes 24 modules and the BA includes 35 modules.

The modules are spread over three levels.

· Level One includes the modules required for the Certificate in Islamic Studies.

· Level Two includes the modules required for the Diploma in Islamic Studies (in addition to Level One modules).

· Level Three includes the modules required for the BA in Islamic Studies (in addition to Levels One and Two modules).

Student must complete all modules in a particular level before proceeding to the following one.

In his/her first term, student is allowed to enroll in up to 3 modules. Following, he/she can enroll in up to 5 modules.

Regarding the fees, student is required to only pay for the modules enrolled in every semester. The total cost of the degree program is depending on the program chosen and the modules taken.

Should you need further clarification, do not hesitate to write to us

Looking forward to be a student at LOC

Assalam alaikum wa rahmatullah
Btw, does anyone know how to convert currencies??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Al Aqwa
10-16-2007, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11

Btw, does anyone know how to convert currencies??
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

'Abd al-Baari
10-16-2007, 07:35 PM

What sort of a career could doin a Sharia' course lead to? :)

Kittygyal
10-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Salamualikum.
^ Hummm....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
10-16-2007, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>

:w:

its basically giving the chance for people to learn the deen via distant learning.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-17-2007, 03:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>

you could teach it to others.
or you can just do it for the sake of allah.
Jazakallahu khair, brother Ibn Adam.
ammen to your sig, sis amani.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-17-2007, 09:35 AM
:phew, i just checked out the costs. im gonna go bankrupt. Ya allah!

Hawa
10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
:D^^^

Sister if you wish to learn the deen having a certificate is of no effect whatsoever. There are plenty of knowledgeable sisters who would love to teach simply to seek Allah's pleasure. I'm sure you'll find such people in your local mosque, there are plenty of options for anyone wishing to seek knowledge without coughing up a hand and a foot, buy books/cd's, listen to lectures online, go to sister's circles, Quran classes are available just about everywhere. Try your best and inshallah it will become easier for you.

Trumble
10-17-2007, 11:03 PM
I may be totally off the mark here, and apologies if that is the case, but I find this a little worrying;

it is not a British HE/FE University/College nor does it award British qualifications.
and

A levels (any grade) are required if you intend to join the main programme (Certificate, Diploma or Bachelors Degree).
'Certificate' and 'Diploma' can mean just about anything, but the requirements for an accredited Bachelors degree are pretty much standardised. As the college is based in the UK, but does not award 'British qualifications' you need to find out exactly what they do offer. There is no reason the usual British accreditation couldn't be obtained providing the standards are suitably rigorous - there are a many UK universities that offer fully accredited degrees in Islamic Studies and related subjects. Obviously the knowledge obtained is a different thing from the qualification, but equally obviously a qualification that is recognised by employers and such is better than one just just looks good framed and hung on a wall.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-18-2007, 03:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hawa
:D^^^

Sister if you wish to learn the deen having a certificate is of no effect whatsoever. There are plenty of knowledgeable sisters who would love to teach simply to seek Allah's pleasure. I'm sure you'll find such people in your local mosque, there are plenty of options for anyone wishing to seek knowledge without coughing up a hand and a foot, buy books/cd's, listen to lectures online, go to sister's circles, Quran classes are available just about everywhere. Try your best and inshallah it will become easier for you.
jazakallahu khair for your input.

I know there are many knowledgeable people out there. however, there's not that many, infact there's hardly any, where i live. the reason why i was interested programe is that it follows a struct programe/timetable, as well as handing things on ontime, in other words, a fulll on study programme, like that you would get when studying at a school. this is something i have not managed to do myself, as i tend to go on tangents, if you get my drift. it is not simply enough for me to listen to tapes, etc. Al-Hamduliah, they are very good sources of seeking knowledge, but i need a strict timetable, and where someone is watching over me, making sure that i keep going, and not bludging.

format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
'Certificate' and 'Diploma' can mean just about anything, but the requirements for an accredited Bachelors degree are pretty much standardised. As the college is based in the UK, but does not award 'British qualifications' you need to find out exactly what they do offer.
no, i'm thinking i understand what you mean.

muslim_
06-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Allah is my witness..never ever take a module at London Open College. They are cheaters. Their information is misleading. All they want from you is your money. If you decide to drop a module then you will never get a refund although you are entitled to get it within 2 weeks of semester. It is in their rules and regulations policy. If you really want to get authentic Islamic knowledge then either study in Saudi Arabia or Just get authentic books recommended by major scholars like Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.