/* */

PDA

View Full Version : sleeping.

al_yaziya
11-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Why is it not allowed to sleep on your stomach?

Thank you.

:Mosque: :muslimah: :Mosque: :muslimah: :Mosque: :muslimah: :Mosque: :Mosque:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
11-18-2006, 09:27 AM
:sl: brothres and sisters.
how do you know its not allowed. waht i mean is, is there a hadith?
:sl:

al_yaziya
11-18-2006, 09:35 AM
I read somewhere that is is not allowed.

جوري
11-18-2006, 10:10 AM
interesting...... have not heard of that.... but from a science stance.... you shouldn't place infants on their stomach in the crib as it might cause (SIDS) sudden infant death syndrome.....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
11-18-2006, 10:24 AM

^ wow are you serious? :uuh: I'll archive that in my brain somewhere and inshaallah remember it when I'm a mum lol.

Anyway, heres the explanation:

The reason why it is forbidden to sleep on one’s belly

Question:
Why is it forbidden to sleep on ones belly? Is it forbidden for both men and women?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The reason for this is that it was forbidden by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who left no good thing but he told us about it and left no evil thing but he warned us against it. Ya’eesh ibn Tihfah al-Ghifaari reported that his father said: “I stayed as a guest with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with those of the poor whom he hosted. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out in the night to check up on his guests, and saw me lying on my stomach. He prodded me with his foot and said, ‘Do not lie in this manner, for it is a way of lying that Allaah hates.’” According to another report, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prodded him with his foot and woke him up, and said, “Do not lie like this, for this is how the people of Hell lie.” (Reported by Ahmad, al-Fath al-Rabbaani, 14/244-245; by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2798, Shaakir edn.; and by Abu Dawood, al-Sunan, Kitaab al-Adab, no. 5040, al-Da’aas edn. Also reported in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2270-2271)

This is a general prohibition that applies to both males and females, because the basic principle is that rulings apply to both sexes, except in cases where it is indicated that there is a differentiation between the two. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

al_yaziya
11-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Thank you Cheese, but i still dont understand in detail the exact reason why we cant...?! :S

Malaikah
11-18-2006, 10:35 AM

I guess there isnt much detail to it? :? Other than that it is an act of the people of hell-fire and that God doesnt like it... that should be reason enough for us to accept it inshaallah. :) We cant always know the wisdom behind somethings...

Unless someone else can provide us with more detail, if it exists, that would be very useful.

al_yaziya
11-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Yeah i know, but sometimes its nice to know the down to the point details. anyway, thank you for the information cheese. :)

جوري
11-18-2006, 11:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

^ wow are you serious? :uuh: I'll archive that in my brain somewhere and inshaallah remember it when I'm a mum lol.

:
Dead serious....
Stomach sleeping. Foremost among these risk factors is stomach sleeping. Numerous studies have found a higher incidence of SIDS among babies placed on their stomachs to sleep than among those sleeping on their backs or sides. Some researchers have hypothesized that stomach sleeping puts pressure on a child's jaw, therefore narrowing the airway and hampering breathing.

Another theory is that stomach sleeping can increase an infant's risk of "rebreathing" his or her own exhaled air, particularly if the infant is sleeping on a soft mattress or with bedding, stuffed toys, or a pillow near the face. In that scenario, the soft surface could create a small enclosure around the baby's mouth and trap exhaled air. As the baby breathes exhaled air, the oxygen level in the body drops and carbon dioxide accumulates. Eventually, this lack of oxygen could contribute to SIDS.

Ummu Sufyaan
11-19-2006, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

Anyway, here the explanation:
:sl: broothers and sisters.
jazakallahu khair

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Sometimes i wake up and find myself on my stomach. I do it wen im really restless or tired. Odd thing is im like bloated if i do...weird eh?

afriend
11-19-2006, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Sometimes i wake up and find myself on my stomach. I do it wen im really restless or tired. Odd thing is im like bloated if i do...weird eh?
yeah was just about to say.

Whenever I used to sleep on my stomach, I always woke up with a terrible feeling where whenever I breathed in, my stomach hurt!

AHMED_GUREY
11-20-2006, 02:20 AM
first time i hear this...

how can i unlearn a habbit i've been doing for the last 19 years:-\

that's cold:(

Trumble
11-20-2006, 02:31 AM
Just as well I'm not a muslim. That's the only way I can sleep without snoring like a pig! :embarrass

mohammed farah
11-20-2006, 02:46 AM
when iv woken up my ribs ache when ive slept on my stomach

جوري
11-21-2006, 01:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Just as well I'm not a muslim. That's the only way I can sleep without snoring like a pig! :embarrass
lol trumble... how can you tell you are snoring if you are asleep?........
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
first time i hear this...

how can i unlearn a habbit i've been doing for the last 19 years:-\

that's cold:(
start off on your right... and if you end up on your tummy... well you were unconscious of the fact....... so I am not sure you can unlearn something that is comfortable for you personally at this point......
best way to sleep is in the fetal with a pillow between the legs to detract from all the pressure created....
WaAllah A3lam

al_yaziya
11-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Thank you :)

AHMED_GUREY
11-24-2006, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
start off on your right... and if you end up on your tummy... well you were unconscious of the fact....... so I am not sure you can unlearn something that is comfortable for you personally at this point......
best way to sleep is in the fetal with a pillow between the legs to detract from all the pressure created....
WaAllah A3lam

i do

i call it the embryo position

then i change about 4 million times in my sleep and i wake up on my stomach

Ninth_Scribe
11-26-2006, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Dead serious....
Stomach sleeping. Foremost among these risk factors is stomach sleeping. Numerous studies have found a higher incidence of SIDS among babies placed on their stomachs to sleep than among those sleeping on their backs or sides. Some researchers have hypothesized that stomach sleeping puts pressure on a child's jaw, therefore narrowing the airway and hampering breathing.

Another theory is that stomach sleeping can increase an infant's risk of "rebreathing" his or her own exhaled air, particularly if the infant is sleeping on a soft mattress or with bedding, stuffed toys, or a pillow near the face. In that scenario, the soft surface could create a small enclosure around the baby's mouth and trap exhaled air. As the baby breathes exhaled air, the oxygen level in the body drops and carbon dioxide accumulates. Eventually, this lack of oxygen could contribute to SIDS.
I heard that, but back in our day, we were all taught that you place the baby on his/her tummy to sleep because it helps them pass gas.

Hmm... maybe that's why it's banned :embarrass

Ninth Scribe

H@fiz Aziz
12-01-2006, 02:25 AM
go to my thread you'll know y

Les_Nubian
12-01-2006, 02:27 AM
OK, this is getting more and more bizarre each day. Now I can't sleep on my stomach? This is news.

H@fiz Aziz
12-01-2006, 02:31 AM
ok i really wanna know y u cant sleep on your stomach's i learned this from jamat.

U CANT SLEEP ON YOUR STOMACH BECAUSE ALLAH HAS SAID THIS REPRESENT A HELL MAN IF YOU ARE GOING TO HELL YOU WILL BE DRAGED FACE DOWN ON YOUR STOMACH SIMPLE.

hope this is useful salam

islamic_sister
10-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Is it haram for anyone to sleep on their stomach?

Umm Yoosuf
10-16-2007, 01:44 AM
Threads merged. Insha Allah you'll find the answer to your question in this thread :)

khairullah
10-18-2007, 03:01 PM
I think it means sleeping on the left side is not allowed or what?

please correct me

Strzelecki
10-18-2007, 03:07 PM
I can't sleep on my stomach. Just feel generally awkward. I'm normally on my side. :D

Pk_#2
10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Sleepin' on tummy

The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked: is it true that it is bad to sleep on the stomach? I was told that sleeping on the stomach is makrooh because that is how the shaytaan sleeps, but I have been used to sleeping in this position since I was small, and I still do that now because it is my habit. What is the ruling on that?

They replied: It is makrooh to sleep on the stomach, because of the report narrated by Abu Dawood from Takhfah ibn Qays al-Ghifaari, who said: When I was lying on my stomach in the mosque just before dawn, a man nudged me with his foot and said: “This manner of lying is hated by Allaah.” I looked and saw that it was the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
Narrated by Abu Dawood in a chapter entitled: “A man who lies on his stomach.” So that should be given up even if it is one’s habit, because it is prescribed for the Muslim to give up habits that go against sharee’ah. End quote.

source: islamQA

Sleeping on right side: (very hard to do :()

A Muslim should not sleep on his belly especially as this may strengthen his sexual urge. In addition, it is an unhealthy manner of sleeping. Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that one day the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) passed by a man sleeping on his belly. He tapped the man with his foot saying: “Such manner of sleeping is loathed by Allah” (Ibn Hibban).

it is also beneficial to mention some Islamic manners of sleeping:

Try to sleep in the state of purity.

Dust your bed three times before you go to sleep.

Lie down on your right side, put your right hand under your right cheek and recite: “ O Allah! in Thy Name I live and die.”

Before you sleep recite Ayat al-Kursi

Seek Allah’s forgiveness and His guidance.

When you wake up recite: “Praise be to Allah Who brought to us life again after He has caused us to die and unto Him shall be the Resurrection.

source: islamonline

Hadiths:

Hudhayfah Radiyallahu 'Anhu says: "When Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam lay down on a bed, he recited:

Allahurmma bi-ith-mika a-mutu wa ahyaa
Translation: O Allah! In Thy name do I live and die'.

When he awakened he recited this du'aa:

Alhamdulillaahil ladhi ahyaanaa ba'da rnaa amaatana wa-ilayhin nushur
Translation: 'Praise be to Allah Who restored unto us life, having caused us to die and unto Him shall be the Resurrection"'.

:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.