/* */

PDA

View Full Version : -The Television-

Al Irhaabia
09-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rehmatullahi Wabarakatahu Brother's & Sister's.

Have you ever sometimes thought to yourself, that what is the use of watching television?
You say you will just sit down and watch something for a couple of minutes, (maybe even an hour or so...) then the next minute you realize that your other favorite programme, film or whatever is going to be on next.
Salah time is going...and your sitting there literally glued to the television itself. You keep saying to yourself 'I'll get up in 5 minutes and pray...'
Then when the programme or film has finished, you then realize that the time for praying Salah has ended to.
At that very moment you may feel guilty...but afterwards you might just forget.
Shaytan indeed is our enemy brother's and sister's. If we cannot fight back with him to pray our salah, how are we going to become successful Muslim's... and portray a good image to the non-Muslim's out there?
DO YOU LIKE BRAINWASHING YOURSELVES, BY THE MEDIA? DON'T YOU FEEL ANY SHAME WATCHING MUSLIM'S ACROSS THE WORLD BEING SLAUGHTERED? DO YOU FIND IT AS A JOKE WHEN WE ARE CALLED 'TERRORISTS?'

We need to wake up from our dreams... and face the reality. You may think that the television is just for time pass...but deep down you haven't realized its terrible consequences. Some people might say watching Islamic programmes are fine, how is that Haram?
I think you forgot the Ayah of the Qur'an... which refers to the believing men and the believing women to lower their gaze.
So my brother's and sister's, as Muslim's we have to set a good example to the non-Muslim's. If we adopt their lifestyle and culture, who's going to give them Dawah? Ofcourse, Allah guides whom He pleases...but our duty is to convey the message. And by sitting down watching Haram is not going to resolve the problem is it? Wasting all them hours on something that we don't need is useless.
TELL ME, IS IT GOING TO TAKE US TO JANNAH?
Time is precious, every minute and every second is important to us Muslim's. Rather then wasting time on watching tv, we could of been reciting the Qur'an, learning a Hadith, going to the Masjid and learn something new...

Insha'Allah, I hope you take this in consideration. And pray to Allah to guide us all and keep us on the straight path of Islam-Ameen!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Far7an
09-16-2005, 11:17 AM
wa alaikum asalaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

First of all, I would like to welcome you to the forums and I hope we all benefit fromy your stay InshaAllah.

I agree with the argument you are putting forward, however I feel there are more persuasive arguments in regards to this matter. Islam is something beautiful, if it is taught with hikmah (wisdom) there is no need to force it upon anyone.

Jazakallah khair for your post, I would just like to add the following link too InshaAllah..

The Ruling on Television

Protected_Diamond
09-16-2005, 12:54 PM
:sl: masha Allah cool advice :)

Uthman
09-16-2005, 06:41 PM
:sl:

JazakAllah Khayr for your wise post Al Irhaabia. So can I draw from that post, that you view, for instance, Islam Channel as being haraam to watch or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Halima
09-16-2005, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

JazakAllah Khayr for your wise post Al Irhaabia. So can I draw from that post, that you view Islam Channel as being haraam to watch or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

you got the wrong end of the stick :)

Uthman
09-16-2005, 07:12 PM
:sl: Halima,

format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
you got the wrong end of the stick
Come to think of it, we often see muslim women on Islam Channel, hijaab-ed though they are. Shouldn't we lower our gaze then? Should we even hear their voice? What do you think?

Muezzin
09-16-2005, 07:19 PM

Come to think of it, we often see muslim women on Islam Channel, hijaab-ed though they are. Shouldn't we lower our gaze then? Should we even hear their voice? What do you think?

Play video games instead. :p

- Qatada -
09-16-2005, 07:22 PM

:sl: warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

yeh dat iz a good point.. come to think of it, isn't the womans voice her awrah?

"Be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery, etc.) should be moved with desire" (Sura Al-Azzab Ayat #32)

'The Prophet (SAW) said, "The saying 'Sub Han Allah' is for men and clapping is for women." (If something happens in the prayer, the men can invite the attention of the Imam by saying "Sub Han Allah". And women, by clapping their hands). Sahih Al-Bukhari Vol #2, Book #22, Hadith #295.

Allah (swt) knows best.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

Al Irhaabia
09-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rehmatullahi Wabarakatahu.

Well if we think about it Islamically...we shouldn't really watch anything on t.v. Its not about being extreme...its about lowering your gaze and protecting yourself from Haram. Insha'Allah Allah SWT will put more barakah...I mean the tv isn't everything in life. And its not about 'force', the more you follow Qur'an & Sunnah Insha'Allahu Ta'la these things are then so easier to avoid :)

Uthman
09-16-2005, 07:37 PM

JazakAllah Khayr for your post Akhi Akhee. :) Allah does know best, although I think I'd rather avoid the shows hosted by muslimah's on Islam Channel until I can gain a better understanding.

Well if we think about it Islamically...we shouldn't really watch anything on t.v.
I'm afraid I'm not quite sure how you reached such a conclusion. InshaAllah, please elucidate. I apologise that I keep droning on about Islam Channel but I feel it really very important as there are millions of viewers worldwide. Wouldn't watching a lecture about Islam from the tv be equivalent to going to a lecture at your local masjid? I strongly feel that we shouldn't deprive ourself of knowledge and benefit and obtain it wherever possible whilst keeping within our set boundaries.

Al Irhaabia
09-16-2005, 07:59 PM
I think Akhe you would get more reward if you go an travel for knowledge. At the time of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w). People would travel from different parts of the world to listen to a Hadith etc. As regarding Islam channel, its ok for you watching brother's alhamdulilah. Ofcourse nothing is wrong with that. But as for watching non mehrams that isn't right at all...I mean I feel its not right for Sister's coming on t.v thousands of people watching them even if its to do with Islam...don't you agree?

- Qatada -
09-16-2005, 08:20 PM
:sl: warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

i agree with that..

:w: warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Hijaabi22
09-16-2005, 08:21 PM
I luv Islam Channel !

Ra`eesah
09-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

I think Akhe you would get more reward if you go an travel for knowledge.
Not everyone can afford this

I luv Islam Channel !
Dont we all, but lets see

Question :

What is the ruling on participating in satellite channels for the purpose of da’wah?.

what mr IslamQA has to say about it. :)

Al Irhaabia
09-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Walaykum Assalam Wa Rehmatullahi Wabarakatahu.

Jazak'Allah Khairun Ukhti. Alhamdulilah I don't watch too much tv myself...I'm just trying to get rid of the one we got :p

TEH
09-18-2005, 11:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 3washey
Assalamu'Alaykum

Not everyone can afford this

Dont we all, but lets see

Question :

What is the ruling on participating in satellite channels for the purpose of da’wah?.

what mr IslamQA has to say about it. :)
Yep, Islam channel is fine, however about the women presenters, it is a bit dodgy...

I have many TVs in my house, but I havent watched one for yonks...

:)

Muezzin
09-18-2005, 12:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TEH
Yep, Islam channel is fine, however about the women presenters, it is a bit dodgy...

I have many TVs in my house, but I havent watched one for yonks...

:)
Neither have I. Reason being most programmes are crap. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.