/* */

PDA

View Full Version : insomnia?

sevgi
10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
salams and greetings...

something a lot of people dnt know about me is that i have terrible sleep...or lack of.

i dnt know if i have insomnia...all i know is that i have been this way since i was born...i was on sleeping pills at like age 5.

i have a few questions.

i cant be boteherd doing a google search so does anyone know what the symptoms of insomnia are? like...is there a dictinction between the inability to sleep etc and insomnia...

also..i am one tick away from going on sleeping pills again.this is so unnatural but my body cant take it anymore.does anyone know any realistic forms of sleeping aid? medicinal, herbal, habitual, behavioural? i dno..anything.

thank u and jazakallah khayrun in advance.

w/s.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
:salamext:

this thread may help Insha'Allah

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...-insomnia.html

sevgi
10-17-2007, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
:salamext:

this thread may help Insha'Allah

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...-insomnia.html
jazakallah,..

before this thread turns into one like the one above...i would like to state that yes..

i go to bed so tired i can no longer move...
i have tried milk and honey etc
i have tried quran
i have tried reading
i have tried different duas.

the problem is that no matter what, i can stay awake..like i dnt get sleepy and even when i do, i do not feel the need or cannot sleep.

i think its from my childhood and that (as inarticulate and childish this may sound) there is something wrong with my brain? i was born two months premature...maybe that has something to do with it...i dno..im trying to make vague connections.

ahsan28
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Remain natural as you are since childhood and leave the habit of depending upon medicines. These do not contribute any good, rather damage one's health. With the passage of time, it will be OK.

At this moment, I can suggest to you is to remain busy mentally and physically :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sevgi
10-17-2007, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
Remain natural as you are since childhood and leave the habit of depending upon medicines. These do not contribute any good, rather damage one's health. With the passage of time, it will be OK.

At this moment, I can suggest to you is to remain busy mentally and physically :D
im beggining to think that it is due to my busyness that i cannot sleep.my mind is always running a mile an hour and have so much to do that i cant think of sleep...even when im trying to sleep.

abt me being phsyically tired.dnt u think a 'diet' of abt two hours sleep per day, approx. three hours travel to a humungous uni and hours of class and rushing across campus, then approx.three hours back hm...then studying and other extraciricullar duties and work....and on top not being able to sleep is physically challenging enuf?

ahsan28
10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
If you have busy routine already, its OK then, remain natural as you are, don't get trapped by any doctor or psychiatrist. You don't have any problem.

tomtomsmom
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Many premature babies never learn how to sooth themselves. That is learned in the last 6 weeks of fetal development. This could be the case with you sis. Also, do you drink tea, coffee or soda? These will stimulate you and make you stay awake. It takes hours for the effects to go away. There are natural meds that you can take to help you sleep. I suggest you go to a herbal store or whole foods market in your area and see what you can find. Also there have been studies that people need an hour to get ready for bed. No TV or computer. Find something that relaxes you. Each person is different so I can't help much with that.

sevgi
10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Many premature babies never learn how to sooth themselves. That is learned in the last 6 weeks of fetal development. This could be the case with you sis. Also, do you drink tea, coffee or soda? These will stimulate you and make you stay awake. It takes hours for the effects to go away. There are natural meds that you can take to help you sleep. I suggest you go to a herbal store or whole foods market in your area and see what you can find. Also there have been studies that people need an hour to get ready for bed. No TV or computer. Find something that relaxes you. Each person is different so I can't help much with that.
hmmm..

interesting response...thank u for that.

no i dnt drink tea coffee or soda...

an occasional tea or hot chocolate at uni...but i dnt think thats a problem...

i shud go to a herbal store.i think that is the first step i will take,..

if i had an hour to get ready for bed,,,i would use it to do my assesments..:)

thank u very much.

peace.

sevgi
10-17-2007, 02:46 PM
^^^wat do u mean by 'sooth themselves'?

do u have a refrence? if no, what does that mean...like mentally get sleepy?

tomtomsmom
10-17-2007, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
^^^wat do u mean by 'sooth themselves'?

do u have a refrence? if no, what does that mean...like mentally get sleepy?
To make themselves feel better. A baby that is crying can calm itself down. They suck their thumbs, rub their hands on a soft blanket. As they get older they may rock themselves. Babies learn this stuff before they are even born. Preemies don't get a chance to learn this. That is why many are much harder to calm than full term babies are.

ahsan28
10-17-2007, 02:57 PM
hmmm..

i shud go to a herbal store.i think that is the first step i will take,..peace.
The best option perhaps. Start overcoming the minor problems yourself, but still if you ever decide to consult some doctor, then remember the famous quote:-

Never go to a doctor, whose office plants have died :D

sevgi
10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
To make themselves feel better. A baby that is crying can calm itself down. They suck their thumbs, rub their hands on a soft blanket. As they get older they may rock themselves. Babies learn this stuff before they are even born. Preemies don't get a chance to learn this. That is why many are much harder to calm than full term babies are.
wow..intruiging.

does this affect them in any other way when they are older..besides ur sleep theory?

tomtomsmom
10-17-2007, 03:17 PM
wow..intruiging.

does this affect them in any other way when they are older..besides ur sleep theory?
Premature babies have the odds stacked against them (boys more than girls).
It can affect their physical, social, behavioral, and intellectual development.

Try to google long term effects of prematurity. There are too many articles for me to choose just one to post!

sevgi
10-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Premature babies have the odds stacked against them (boys more than girls).
It can affect their physical, social, behavioral, and intellectual development.

Try to google long term effects of prematurity. There are too many articles for me to choose just one to post!
thanks a bunch!!!

i appreciate all ur help...besides the fact that uve made me feel a little disabled:):p

peace and good will to u!:D

Muezzin
10-19-2007, 06:47 PM
I'll lend you some of my text books if you like. They'll cure insomnia in a heartbeat.

But seriously, have you seen a doctor about it? And told him (or her, it is the 20th century after all... I mean 21st. Yeah.) that you don't want to rely on what our Spanish friends call drogas?

snakelegs
10-19-2007, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I'll lend you some of my text books if you like. They'll cure insomnia in a heartbeat.
karl marx works the best. ;D

Karina
10-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Ok this is just my personal experience of insomnia, and I'm not sure if my story will help you, but I know that other people's stories re-assured me that I was not alone, which I think is important.

2005 I applied for a job thinking it was going to be a secure, interesting and challenging opportunity. Well things started out fairly well but in September 05 I found that I was starting to take longer and longer to fall asleep, when I had no previous problems.

Yeah, work was hectic, long hours, but I've always had fast-pace jobs, I've worked in financial services for the last 10 years, nothing new.

Anyway, this went on for weeks, then months, and eventually it got to the point where I was that nervous about going to bed that I wouldn't let my other half even talk to me, and took the phone off the hook because my heart-rate would go through the roof with anxiety and I'd often end up in tears. Any noise in the house would keep me up for hours. I even screamed at my neighbours for daring to have a conversation outside and waking me up!

I would find myself going into work looking like a zombie on 2,3, 4 hours sleep and sooo irritable I still can't understand why my friends didn't desert me! (They didn't - good friends!).

I went to the doctors and described my symptoms, sleeplessness, mind racing, irritability, anxiety etc etc - and they told me it was all stress-related.

I told my doctor I was not prepared to go down the medication route. Instead I went for relaxaion courses, drank hot milk, had massages and refelxology once a week. These helped a little, but I still could not sleep.

Anyway. Over a year later. I took the decision to quit my job. And I have slept every night since. That was in June this year. I have started college and reduced my stress levels. It's worked - I can sleep!!

The only reason I'm telling you this is because I have had very low moments where I thought I would never sleep again, and to me, that was a living nightmare. So. You can sleep. You just need to find something to change.

:sunny::sunny::sunny:

Ummu Sufyaan
10-20-2007, 12:29 PM
:sl:
sis, are you totally stressted out. i rmeber when i was going through really bad insomnia a few years back. 4 hours I couln't fall asleep. and ten min before my alarm for fajr was to go off, i would fall asleep. i was like arghhh!!!
no, seriously though, are you stressed though. maybe thinking too much. i cant sleep when i think too much. pop me an email if ya need y help.

Miss Palestine
10-21-2007, 12:14 AM
happens 2 me a lott but not everydayy...usually happens wen im thinkin about something big thats gonna happen the next day or if i hava test or somethin....but wen nothings on my mind.,.,.i sleep lika baby lolz =)

Isambard
10-21-2007, 04:30 AM
It could be because you were on the pills when you were younger. Taking sleeping pills for prolonged amount of time creates a dependancy.

That said it isn so bad...ive started taking naps during the day to compensate. Or as mentioned before, read something boring.

A big textbook of finance will bore even the roudiest of minds into slumber ;)

aligzander
10-21-2007, 10:28 AM
salams and greetings...

something a lot of people dnt know about me is that i have terrible sleep...or lack of.

i dnt know if i have insomnia...all i know is that i have been this way since i was born...i was on sleeping pills at like age 5.

i have a few questions.

i cant be boteherd doing a google search so does anyone know what the symptoms of insomnia are? like...is there a dictinction between the inability to sleep etc and insomnia...

also..i am one tick away from going on sleeping pills again.this is so unnatural but my body cant take it anymore.does anyone know any realistic forms of sleeping aid? medicinal, herbal, habitual, behavioural? i dno..anything.

thank u and jazakallah khayrun in advance.

w/s.

Apple Cider Vinegar is proven effective for insomnia.

Vinegar is included in Prophetic Medicine like Olive, Black Cumin, Chicory, Endive Fenugreek, Ginger, Marjorum, Saffron, Water-Cress etc.

sevgi
10-21-2007, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
sis, are you totally stressted out. i rmeber when i was going through really bad insomnia a few years back. 4 hours I couln't fall asleep. and ten min before my alarm for fajr was to go off, i would fall asleep. i was like arghhh!!!
no, seriously though, are you stressed though. maybe thinking too much. i cant sleep when i think too much. pop me an email if ya need y help.
nawww...sis...jazakallah...

thanks for the email offer...bt i dnt think its email material...lol...

aaa...yeah..i am very stressed out.but its at a deeper level than that..cnt just explain it...u sort of have to live my life with me..and know my past and my internal struggles...

same story with everyone i guess:)

again.jazakallah. and thanks everyone for ur advice:)

sevgi
10-21-2007, 10:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aligzander
Apple Cider Vinegar is proven effective for insomnia.

Vinegar is included in Prophetic Medicine like Olive, Black Cumin, Chicory, Endive Fenugreek, Ginger, Marjorum, Saffron, Water-Cress etc.
am i meant to drink it???

sevgi
10-21-2007, 10:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salih20
Warm milk is very soothing. It is advised for those who are in shock.
hmmm...thanks...ive tried it:) doesnt work for me bro...

i wish it did work...:cry:

jazakallah:)

sevgi
10-21-2007, 10:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salih20
Yes. But try mixing it with water. It can be very strong.
thats what i thought:)

it would give me crazy stomach pains if i didnt dilute it...:coolalien

aligzander
10-21-2007, 10:50 AM
am i meant to drink it???

Yes, 3 tablespoon to 1 glass of water every meal.

sevgi
10-21-2007, 10:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aligzander
Yes, 3 tablespoon to 1 glass of water every meal.
aint my cuppa tea...but...i'll try it...

i trust my brothers n sisters:)

aligzander
10-21-2007, 04:22 PM
aint my cuppa tea...but...i'll try it...

i trust my brothers n sisters:)

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

sevgi
10-21-2007, 04:26 PM
^^^u said every meal...

i dnt eat much...

only once a say or so...thats dinner...if i eat besides this, it is usually on the go or something small....

aligzander
10-21-2007, 04:34 PM
^^^u said every meal...

i dnt eat much...

only once a say or so...thats dinner...if i eat besides this, it is usually on the go or something small....

You can drink after lunch and dinner.

You can reduce it to 2 tablespoon.

ahsan28
10-21-2007, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=sumeyye;845961

i dnt eat much......[/QUOTE]

That may be one of the contributing factors of insomnia. Start eating properly :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.